Why did you get the RDX - an AWD vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 04:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why did you get the RDX - an AWD vehicle?

Besides the reason that the RDX is a very competent performance CUV vehicle for the street, is there a reason why you got the AWD RDX, especially for you folks in dry parts of the country (like California, Arizona, Nevada)? I can't imagine the AWD system being of much use in those conditions, of course, unless you are driving like a crazy nut around corners, and hope the SH-AWD will keep you "glued" to the road.

I live up north in Canada, and where I live, snowy roads and wet roads year round, the added grip from the SH-AWD is definitely one of the main reason why I got a CUV vehicle. But the performance and general good things about Acura, was why I got the RDX.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
im from Toronto, Ontario Canada and we got ours because

a. we were in a rush, our 2000 crv was stolen and we needed another car
b. we were in the market for a 4 door car, tested the camry, camry hybrid, accord, benz e class, we were gonna test the tl but when we saw the RDX we had to test that.

The lady brought the keys to the RDX first, test drove it, bought it!

Loved the tech package goodies, loved the ride, loved the performance and also loved honda's reliability package (a big selling point, which is pretty much the fact that honda's don't leave you on the side of the road lol)

Only crappy part is the fuel economy, which we shouldn't be complaining about considering its a friggin 50000 cdn dollar cuv.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:21 PM
B A N N E D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
(a big selling point, which is pretty much the fact that honda's don't leave you on the side of the road lol)
lol a bad selling point IMO, My mothers Oddy has left her stranded. IMO Honda is not anymore reliable than other Carmakers.

I'm not trying to stir up too much but really, I think the whole Honda/reliability thing is overrated. And remember you have a first year Acura, not a Honda, and you cannot solely base reliaiblity off of the Parent company. Just like you clearly can't with the resale, sadly its been less than expected from a "Honda" company.

I'm sure most RDX's will hold up after a few years but the reliability of the Turbo Engine is very much unknown.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:56 PM
ACURA ENTHUSIAST

never get 1st yr remake model/car
thats all.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Driving in the rain in DFW sucks. Most roads are curbed, so the outside lane becomes the drainage culvert when it rains. If you usually drive elsewhere, you will be shocked at how poor the drainage is here. AWD makes lane changes a less dicey move.

Plus, we get ice/snow at least once or twice most years.

And most of all, AWD improves handling in the dry as well. It is a great way to make a relatively inexpensive platform handle better.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:20 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyjumpman23
never get 1st yr remake model/car
thats all.
When exactly do cliches actually start to get old? When do we actually start to rethink the old 'knowledge"? Sure, most of us have lived with this advice for a good part of our car buying years. The other one is 'don't by a dealer demo'. I think it's all really defined by your own personal experience. I don't believe either one of those statements anymore.

I've bought a lot of cars new, and frankly the only ones that have been drop dead reliable have been my first year Honda Accord and my '07 RDX (granted, I only just recently passed one year with my RDX). In fact, both were also dealer demos. I bought one other dealer demo in the past, a Plymouth, and that one is number 3 on my personal most reliable cars list.

Given my own experience, I can't justifiably continue to spout those cliches anymore.
Mike
Old 09-18-2007, 10:32 PM
Sporty X type

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AbovePrime.
......... And remember you have a first year Acura, not a Honda, and you cannot solely base reliaiblity off of the Parent company. Just like you clearly can't with the resale, sadly its been less than expected from a "Honda" company................
I, for one, have to totally disagree with you on this part. First, this is the upper end of Honda. Just like they do w/ Toyota/ Lexus, Nissan / Infiniti, the upper lines are better made & BACKED. Acura has a full time road side assistant program. Not sure Honda does, but they aren't going to offer it on Acuras to throw away there money. I haven't owned a Honda, but I've owned 4 Acuras & have NEVER, EVER had a problem like your mom's Oddy, but if I did, I know I have someone to call all the time, 24 hrs. a day!!
It is a first year of the RDX, but not Acura. They do a pretty good job, even on first year vehicles. I know that lots of people over at AcuraMDX that had 1st yr MDX's loved their vehicles & had no problems. (Yes there were some that had the tranny bug!) Except for a few here that don't like their RDX, I don't recall any catistrofic problem vehicles. That's a prety good start for a first year vehicle.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:44 PM
rdxsteverino

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Live in the Los Angeles area, but we have mountains with snow, slush and ice within a reasonable driving distance. The RDX is a definite plus in these environments. I am willing to pay the price of poorer mileage on dry roads for the added performance SH-AWD offers. And I really enjoy clover leaf on-ramps, when there's not a control light.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:02 PM
Trailingthrottleoversteer

I was stuck on RWD only, but when I spied an RDX, I thought that AWD was better than FWD, and when I drove it I was impressed. I thought of it as a performance enhancement only, not an inclement weather requirement. (Los Angeles).

Old 09-18-2007, 11:41 PM
ACURA ENTHUSIAST

Usually 1st yr things get solved on 2nd /3rd yr cars...
u figure..
Old 09-19-2007, 02:17 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by Lrpba300
I, for one, have to totally disagree with you on this part. First, this is the upper end of Honda. Just like they do w/ Toyota/ Lexus, Nissan / Infiniti, the upper lines are better made & BACKED. Acura has a full time road side assistant program. Not sure Honda does, but they aren't going to offer it on Acuras to throw away there money. I haven't owned a Honda, but I've owned 4 Acuras & have NEVER, EVER had a problem like your mom's Oddy, but if I did, I know I have someone to call all the time, 24 hrs. a day!!
It is a first year of the RDX, but not Acura. They do a pretty good job, even on first year vehicles. I know that lots of people over at AcuraMDX that had 1st yr MDX's loved their vehicles & had no problems. (Yes there were some that had the tranny bug!) Except for a few here that don't like their RDX, I don't recall any catistrofic problem vehicles. That's a prety good start for a first year vehicle.
So I can say you drive a Honda no problems? I thought thats exactly what you wanted to the opposite, Anyhow This car was designed by Acura, a division of Honda, I'm sure the people driving the Lexus' would disagree when you tell them they're driving a Camry.

Honda's standard warranty is so sparse when it comes to extras like loaners, and they can make it that way because people are so naive and think "why would we need that Honda's never break down" or they pay EXTRA for it.

Acura should have it, its a Luxury brand, and they needed a new nameplate for luxury vehicles, who on earth would by a 35K Honda RDX?

Beyond your beliefs this IS a first year car with a New Engine, And My mother knows her fair share of Oddy owners with serious rattles, squeaks, Tranny problems, etcc...

TL owners had Serious first year issues, Tranny problems(some of them FALLING out), Rattles up the nose, ALL of this fixed in 05 models, Some TL's (new 2007) Still suffer from mis matched panels.

The release of the RDX was not flawless by any means, they're was a few issues with battery's, and now dashes.

Someone here had a SH-AWD system replaced, of course ONE case reported but hardly a flawless release, and that was not very reliable.

The MDX is
Old 09-19-2007, 02:47 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by catnippants
When exactly do cliches actually start to get old? When do we actually start to rethink the old 'knowledge"? Sure, most of us have lived with this advice for a good part of our car buying years. The other one is 'don't by a dealer demo'. I think it's all really defined by your own personal experience. I don't believe either one of those statements anymore.

I've bought a lot of cars new, and frankly the only ones that have been drop dead reliable have been my first year Honda Accord and my '07 RDX (granted, I only just recently passed one year with my RDX). In fact, both were also dealer demos. I bought one other dealer demo in the past, a Plymouth, and that one is number 3 on my personal most reliable cars list.

Given my own experience, I can't justifiably continue to spout those cliches anymore.
Mike
They are true to an extent, CX-7's had First Year issues, that have been worked out completely in later builds and 08's.

TL owners, Camry owners, MDX owners, Oddy owners, would probably have to agree to stay a certain distance away from the first year builds, nothing but problems, I'm one of them. Sure you can buy one, but they're will be a bigger chance of problems compared to if you were to buy a next year build.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:38 AM
Instructor

I had a 2001 MDX and had no problems,so far except for gas mileage I love my RDX.
I live in NC and every once in a while we can have some bad weather
Old 09-19-2007, 06:51 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I've never had issues with 1st year Honda or Acura models, and I've had quite a few...the reason?...... I buy models still made in Japan. CRX, Integra, RSX, RL.

That said....My G/F's RDX has had zero issues and it's a first year model.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:57 AM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Since the OP asked only why I bought an AWD vehicle such as the RDX, I'll answer that and not participate in the Honda/Acura bashfest going on in this thread.

Mav - Basically I bought the AWD RDX for the superior handling in both dry weather and inclement weather. Living in the Midwest, we get our fair share of snow/ice and having an AWD vehicle gives me added comfort driving in those conditions; however, I also enjoy some spirited dry weather driving on occasions and the SH-AWD aides with the dry weather handling of the RDX.

Frankly, I think it's the perfect blend of dry weather and inclement weather handling, and I get the added bonus of the cabin being tall enough for my 65 lb. Airedale to stand and walk around with the second row seats folded down.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:02 AM
Instructor

I drove an older make 4WD (not full time 4WD) for six years before switching to the RDX. The experience has made all-wheel drive a primary requirement.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:23 AM
B A N N E D

Tripp is taking that way out of context, they're is no "bashfest" going on. I simply stated that buying the RDX because its a Honda does not mean its a fact that the RDX will never breakdown, it's a first year production vehicle and it will be more prone to little issues, and the reliability of the new turbo engine is unknown, thats all I said.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:10 AM
Newbie for Life

Tripp is taking that way out of context, they're is no "bashfest" going on. I simply stated that buying the RDX because its a Honda does not mean its a fact that the RDX will never breakdown, it's a first year production vehicle and it will be more prone to little issues, and the reliability of the new turbo engine is unknown, thats all I said.
Just curious, do you own a RDX?
Old 09-19-2007, 08:11 AM
Advanced

wife moved from rwd drive to awd, also because new baby on the way, and rwd coupe is not a good baby mover. also in va where weather can get nasty at times.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:19 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by Tripp11
Wow.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:24 AM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
[QUOTE=AbovePrime.]lol a bad selling point IMO, My mothers Oddy has left her stranded. IMO Honda is not anymore reliable than other Carmakers.

I'm not trying to stir up too much but really, I think the whole Honda/reliability thing is overrated. And remember you have a first year Acura, not a Honda, and you cannot solely base reliaiblity off of the Parent company. Just like you clearly can't with the resale, sadly its been less than expected from a "Honda" company.

I'm sure most RDX's will hold up after a few years but the reliability of the Turbo Engine is very much unknown.[/
QUOTE]

why do u post on this board
Old 09-19-2007, 08:26 AM
B A N N E D

I think I've said this already and its because I can.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts

hey doesn't, he owns a cx-7 and ford edge not my cup of tea thats for sure.

AbovePrice I stated taht comment just to pee you off a bit

But honestly, I had a 2000 CRV which was a "manager driven demo" and it gave us NO PROBLEMS at all until it got stolen. My 99 Honda prelude, still driving like it was brand new, other then a bit of oil burn (which is notorious for all h22 engines, poor design flaw on honda's part) it drives well and is such an awesome car to drive.

Now our new RDX, again an awesome down to earth vehicle to drive, I admit ride is hard due to the "sportier" suspensions but honestly I've taken turns in it where your ford edge and cx-7 simply cannot.

Back to the cliche that first year production cars are prone to problems and demos are worse, never owned a first year production car until the RDX so I can't really comment on how honda/acura has been doing but I have owned a demo vehicle before and it is no different.

I guess maintenance is key especially with the RDX because it is a turbo application. I hate bashing of manufacturers but honeslty honda has been doing quite well, they are a bit stingy on their warranty repair but I guess thats the dealerships problems. Just to make you better AbovePrime, I am going to be selling the Prelude soon and moving on to a Mazda 6

Woo hoo zoom zoom here I come.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:28 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by mau108
hey doesn't, he owns a cx-7 and ford edge not my cup of tea thats for sure.

AbovePrice I stated taht comment just to pee you off a bit

But honestly, I had a 2000 CRV which was a "manager driven demo" and it gave us NO PROBLEMS at all until it got stolen. My 99 Honda prelude, still driving like it was brand new, other then a bit of oil burn (which is notorious for all h22 engines, poor design flaw on honda's part) it drives well and is such an awesome car to drive.

Now our new RDX, again an awesome down to earth vehicle to drive, I admit ride is hard due to the "sportier" suspensions but honestly I've taken turns in it where your ford edge and cx-7 simply cannot.

Back to the cliche that first year production cars are prone to problems and demos are worse, never owned a first year production car until the RDX so I can't really comment on how honda/acura has been doing but I have owned a demo vehicle before and it is no different.

I guess maintenance is key especially with the RDX because it is a turbo application. I hate bashing of manufacturers but honeslty honda has been doing quite well, they are a bit stingy on their warranty repair but I guess thats the dealerships problems. Just to make you better AbovePrime, I am going to be selling the Prelude soon and moving on to a Mazda 6

Woo hoo zoom zoom here I come.
Lol? Welcome to the Mazda family but beyond your beliefs that would not make me feel any better, The small gap can close very quickly in terms of handling with better tires and a drop. But thats all I'm going to touch on that matter.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:42 AM
Newbie for Life

I think I've said this already and its because I can.
The OP asked why you bought an AWD RDX - since you don't own one, why post?

Ohhhhhhh, I know why...to get your shots in at the Honda/Acura product.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:46 AM
B A N N E D

Ohhhhhhhhh I replyed to someones ignorance that Honda's don't leave people stranded, and that was a Fact. They have left my mother stranded so its not a FACT.

I don't need to get in any shots on the RDX, please.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:54 AM
Newbie for Life

I'm not trying to stir up too much but really, I think the whole Honda/reliability thing is overrated.
In case you forgot, post #3.

You started it in post #3 and as I've said before, the OP asked those who have BOUGHT a RDX. Since you don't OWN one, why post? Why not just start another thread about auto reliability and post away and away and away...
Old 09-19-2007, 08:58 AM
Instructor

I got my RDX because I got stuck in the snow in my camry. Hated that feeeling of not be able to move anywhere, so traded it in for an RDX. Also, FWD is known for understeer, so I figured I'd get an AWD (although this car's AWD system is still based on FWD, so there is a lil tendency of understeer). I'm looking forward to this winter so I can run over the snow! (NYC)
Old 09-19-2007, 09:00 AM
B A N N E D

I replyed to someone that already posted in this thread, I don't have to own one to reply to someone ELSE in the thread.

In case you forgot, post #3.

You started it in post #3 and as I've said before, the OP asked those who have BOUGHT a RDX. Since you don't OWN one, why post? Why not just start another thread about auto reliability and post away and away and away...
Old 09-19-2007, 09:01 AM
big shot.

To the best of my knowledge...Hondas dont come with a roadside assistance package unless you option it in (if avail). Every Acura comes with a 24hr road side with some comforts such as if your trip is interrupted they will reinburse you (due to vehicle failure). So Honda not coming out to save mommy sounds about right to me since you dont have the TLC of Acura. If, however, you had some sort of roadside thing with Honda (which if you do id like to know about it and pass along info) then disregard my comment.

You are ruining a good, informative board with the nonsense that you type. Honda/Acura is just about the ONLY car company i would buy a first year model, and have, since my first of (i think its 12 now) Honda/Acuras from 1995.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:09 AM
B A N N E D

Haha I'm ruining the board? Because I'm not on my knees praising Honda for all that they are with every post??

Honda did not have Roadside assist standard, and its absurd to pay extra for it, and we have Allstate, But the fact that the Honda broke down and left her stranded, has nothing do to with weather we opted for Roadside assist or not, and as far as I know the TLC from Acura cannot keep one from breaking down and leaving someone stranded.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:10 AM
Newbie for Life

I replyed to someone that already posted in this thread, I don't have to own one to reply to someone ELSE in the thread.
Replied..

Oh yes, you posted how your mother owned a Honda product and it broke down which, in your mind, solidifies your distaste of anything Honda/Acura. Makes perfect sense now... By all means, continue being an asset to this forum.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:14 AM
Newbie for Life

Haha I'm ruining the board? Because I'm not on my knees praising Honda for all that they are with every post??

Honda did not have Roadside assist standard, and its absurd to pay extra for it, and we have Allstate, But the fact that the Honda broke down and left her stranded, has nothing do to with weather we opted for Roadside assist or not, and as far as I know the TLC from Acura cannot keep one from breaking down and leaving someone stranded.
In all seriousness, your opinion of Honda/Acura is so damned biased it's not even funny anymore....because of what? Your mother's Honda left her and you in a car seat stranded on the side of the road until roadside assistance came? Is that all you have to back up your bashing?

Should we start pulling out JD Power information or Consumer Reports? Of course not...why would we do something like that when your mother's Honda broke down.

Foolish me...
Old 09-19-2007, 09:16 AM
big shot.

Allstate=worst insurance company on earth.

um yea it can save you, like Mazda came, to save my ass, twice in 1 nite when it was 20 degrees out, and again the following day. Its a safety thing of having help when you need it and not "being left stranded" if in fact the car does fail.

No ones on their knees lol im giving credit where credit is due=honda/acura reliability. I have not had a mechanical problem with a Honda/Acura since i started buying in 1995. That to me is worth a hell of a lot of respect. I cannot say the same for Toyota (1 camry), Nissan (3 maximas, 2 quest minivans), and obviously the hunk of shit mazda(ford).
Old 09-19-2007, 09:18 AM
B A N N E D

Thanks for correcting my typo, I would be completely lost with out you correcting my typos.

I have no automatic distaste for Acura products based on my MOTHERS bad experience with one, but for someone to say Honda's don't leave people stranded and thats a fact is WRONG, and it is not a fact.

The RDX ruined it for me with its repulsive looks, not because of my mothers previous bad experience with a HONDA.

Sad thing is she bought a Honda because of that legend that they are problem free, even in first year builds, she was wrong and now knows it.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:19 AM
B A N N E D

We don't have their insurance, I would never waste money on an Allstate insurance policy. We have their roadside assistance because it is one of the best for the money.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:20 AM
Instructor

Yeah... I've read yesterday a report about 34 pages long just filled with complains by Toyota car owners about how UNRELIABLE their cars are (yes even their camry). It came to me as a shock because TOYOTA's image is reliability. If someone's interested in reading people's complains about toyota, i'll find the link again.

Also, if you haven't noticed, ACURA's don't have scheduled maintanence (even on their FIRST turbo engine)... why? Their engines are just more reliable than a lot of other car makers out there.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:20 AM
Newbie for Life

The RDX ruined it for me with its repulsive looks, not because of my mothers previous bad experience with a HONDA.
Why post on the RDX board? The RDX sucks, in your mind, so why come to an enthusiast board for RDX owners or potential RDX buyers?

Forgot I asked...I know why.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:26 AM
Newbie for Life

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17385761/

Should I login to my Consumer Reports account to provide even more info? How about JD Power?
Old 09-19-2007, 09:26 AM
B A N N E D

In all seriousness, your opinion of Honda/Acura is so damned biased it's not even funny anymore....because of what? Your mother's Honda left her and you in a car seat stranded on the side of the road until roadside assistance came? Is that all you have to back up your bashing?

Should we start pulling out JD Power information or Consumer Reports? Of course not...why would we do something like that when your mother's Honda broke down.

Foolish me...
I have read reports of tranny's falling out of TL's, First year tranny problems in TL's, Oddy Tranny problems, misaligned interior trim panels in TL's, MDX's, rattles, the list goes on.

HAHA biased? Lets pull out a CR test with a Toyota or Honda in it and see what biased really means. You would really get your info from a company that ranks Lincoln's at the Top in some category's, Along with Hyundai's?

Laughable really.

Quick Reply: Why did you get the RDX - an AWD vehicle?