Go Back  AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community > AcuraZine RDX Community > First Generation RDX (2007-2012)
Reload this Page >

VSA, ABS, SH-AWD Lights all light up five minutes after starting car

Notices

Old 02-13-2019, 08:27 PM
Registered Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

The VSA light, ABS light and SH-AWD light all lit up on my dashboard today simultaneously today . I pulled over, started the car again as I thought it was a fluke and the lights came back again five minutes later. After the lights come on, the vehicle turns into front wheel drive only as it seems the AWD system is disabled. Five minutes after the three warning lights turn on, the brake system warning light also turns on, yet the brakes work as well as they always have.

At first I thought it was a low voltage situation, where different systems around the car weren't receiving proper voltage then report back errors. But installed a brand new AGM battery one month ago and the alternator was replaced 6 months ago. Everything is tight on the battery terminals, without corrosion and the battery puts out 12.8 VDC with the car off. After cruising other forum posts this seems to be the most likely cause for problems with my symptoms, yet there seems to be no electrical issues. The engine is also not throwing any codes (at least that my scanner can pick up...

I know the brake system, VSA and AWD system mechanically work as the car drive all four wheels during the first couple minutes of driving. Seems to me like a sensor issue, but I am lost as where to start looking

2008 Acura RDX Base, 91k miles - maintained meticulously with no other issues (besides replacing the terrible stock pleather center console cover)

Thanks for your help
Old 02-14-2019, 09:07 AM
Registered Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
02 sensors?
Old 02-14-2019, 09:17 AM
Registered Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Engine and transmission response have been completely normal. My thought is that if it was an O2 sensor, engine response would behave differently.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:26 AM
Carmine S.

Liked 32 Times in 29 Posts
Have you tried disconnecting the battery for ten minutes and then reconnecting it and seeing if the codes stay off?
Old 02-15-2019, 09:47 AM
Registered Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On my way into work this morning (30 mile drive) none of the lights or warnings flashed on. I should have mentioned that these errors initially occurred while I consistently drove through 12-18 inches of snow. Yesterday after a period of heavy rain most of the snow cleared up on the roadway, so my drive in this morning was snow-free. This is why I initially thought that a sensor around the wheel could have been dirty.

If these warnings come back, I'll try disconnecting the battery for ten minutes and see if that helps. I can imagine this would help clear the errors from memory, but still wouldn't address why the warnings came on in the first place.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:48 AM
Registered Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I imagine that wheel position sensors do exist on the Gen 1 RDX. If they were dirty or blocked, how would I go about cleaning them? Where in the wheel/hub do they exist?
Old 02-15-2019, 08:04 PM
Carmine S.

The snow, salt, and sand might have confused the sensors. So the rdx might have tried protect itself and preserve the drivetrain...
Old 02-16-2019, 03:17 PM
Registered Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had this issue

Mine started out slowly, one light, then another over a course of a couple weeks.....turned out to be my alternator. I bought the 240 amp mechman (I believe) just replaced my battery with a optima and it was gone instantly!.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:49 AM
Registered Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From what I've read, low voltage is often the culprit of these situations where multiple systems have failed. That's why I was surprised to see it happen with my car, as the battery is (2) months old and the alternator is only (6) months old.

Side note - I put about 300 miles on the car this weekend, up and over a mountain pass and no warning lights. I guess I'll just wait and see if it happens again....
Old 02-19-2019, 09:57 AM

Liked 13,884 Times in 10,314 Posts
^sounds like you were on to something earlier...
a wheel sensor or the abs sensors in the wheel wells.

it's not uncommon for debris to knock something loose, damage wires, or even corrode the connectors...
I would check the wheel wells for the sensors,making sure they're all well connected with no wire damage. also, perhaps you could clean up the brass contacts inside the sensors.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:16 PM
Registered Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
re: VSA coding
My Acura RL 2005 is doing the same thing - VSA warning lights up about 2 minutes after start up.
We have be unable to find any viable sense of what this means and what it may cost to remedy. Some comments indicates may just be a bad sensor but who knows?

I just reviewed at the dealership; head of service basically said "I don't know".
I asked for a range of ideas, budget, causes, anything, ($300 or $5000) - and he responded with a in essence crickets + trust me and I don't know until I test it.

What's a semi-loyal Acura RL owner to do? Start looking at Benz or Lexus perhaps?

Background:
Car is also running rough over the bumps it could be that we just live in a 'third world country of pot holes - Oakland hills". It thought the shocks may be gone but he though they were ok.
Meanwhile we have two motor mounts cracked for which he wants $1000 to fix, the navigation is fried - for which he wants "should be about $1000" to fix, or I try used on Ebay, and of course the Blue tooth never worked and I refuse to pay the dealer $1400 for the module

Other than that, vehicle has 89,000 miles only, new tires, breaks, timing belt etc and it is in otherwise tip top shape. We are pondering a new car but, would prefer not to throw this one away as not fixing these things would render what was 49K new more or less worthless.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:56 PM
Registered Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bennetthall View Post
re: VSA coding
My Acura RL 2005 is doing the same thing - VSA warning lights up about 2 minutes after start up.
We have be unable to find any viable sense of what this means and what it may cost to remedy. Some comments indicates may just be a bad sensor but who knows?

I just reviewed at the dealership; head of service basically said "I don't know".
I asked for a range of ideas, budget, causes, anything, ($300 or $5000) - and he responded with a in essence crickets + trust me and I don't know until I test it.

What's a semi-loyal Acura RL owner to do? Start looking at Benz or Lexus perhaps?

Background:
Car is also running rough over the bumps it could be that we just live in a 'third world country of pot holes - Oakland hills". It thought the shocks may be gone but he though they were ok.
Meanwhile we have two motor mounts cracked for which he wants $1000 to fix, the navigation is fried - for which he wants "should be about $1000" to fix, or I try used on Ebay, and of course the Blue tooth never worked and I refuse to pay the dealer $1400 for the module

Other than that, vehicle has 89,000 miles only, new tires, breaks, timing belt etc and it is in otherwise tip top shape. We are pondering a new car but, would prefer not to throw this one away as not fixing these things would render what was 49K new more or less worthless.
Strange, seems like the mechanic would have at least been able to run a diagnostic scan to see what the deal is with your VSA
Old 02-20-2019, 05:01 PM
Registered Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The lights all came back this morning

I have a cheap OBD2 reader that isn't picking up any codes or faults. I'm thinking about picking up a more robust bi-directional OBD2 scanner to see if it will shed any light on the situation. Below is a link to the one I'm looking at, it seems to have by far the most features for any scanner in that price range.

Amazon Amazon

Does anybody have recommendations for an advanced OBD2 scanner? Will the one from the link above be able to read the warnings I'm seeing? The short solution is to just take the car into a honda dealer and have them read codes on their HDS tool, but I'm thinking just a diagnostic scan from them will cost almost as much as this scanner...
Old 02-20-2019, 05:05 PM

Liked 5,791 Times in 4,643 Posts
there could still potentially be a dead cell in the battery. Try another one to rule it out.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:06 PM

Liked 5,791 Times in 4,643 Posts
Also,

what's the voltage the alternator is putting out? You only stated the voltage of the battery when off. The 'new' alternator could be bad.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:15 PM
Registered Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just checked, the alternator is putting out 14.27 VDC. Isn't that in the normal range?
Old 02-20-2019, 07:17 PM
Registered Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^ that was the alternator output voltage at idle
Old 02-21-2019, 12:53 PM
Registered Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace View Post
^sounds like you were on to something earlier...
a wheel sensor or the abs sensors in the wheel wells.

it's not uncommon for debris to knock something loose, damage wires, or even corrode the connectors...
I would check the wheel wells for the sensors,making sure they're all well connected with no wire damage. also, perhaps you could clean up the brass contacts inside the sensors.
I can see where the wires go for the ABS sensors (they all seem to look good) but can't really tell where the actual sensors reside. The wires look to go into the back of the housing for the rotor but I can't actually see the sensors. How would I go about cleaning the brass contacts?
Old 02-22-2019, 02:42 PM
Carmine S.

Mix baking soda in a cup of water then use a cotton swab to clean the contacts.
Old 02-22-2019, 02:43 PM
Registered Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CSmoney28 View Post
Mix baking soda in a cup of water then use a cotton swab to clean the contacts.
Where are those contacts? How do I access them?
Old 02-22-2019, 03:13 PM
Carmine S.

I’ll look 👀 around to get you some information ℹ️ to help you find them.
The following users liked this post: CSmoney28
bhaz (02-22-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 02:37 PM
Registered Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A quick update - I had my tires rotated and balanced and the technician told me there was quite a lot of sand and debris they cleaned out from around the lug nuts. Since the tire rotation (5 days) I've driven daily and have yet to see the error again. Signs are pointing to a blocked/dirty ABS wheel sensor being the culprit but unless the errors comes back I don't think I'll know for sure. Thanks for everybody for your help.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:05 PM
Carmine S.

No problem, glad you got it fixed.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:11 AM
Registered Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bad news, after about a month of regular driving this issue has reared its head once again. I bit the bullet and bought an advanced OBD2 scanner that could read component and system warnings and codes (not just CEL codes). I found a trouble code of "P0571 - Brake pedal position switch circuit".

After some light research, it turns out this is a semi-common failure among acuras and hondas. The replacement part cost me $10 and the repair looks super easy, I'll comment back when I have the replacement switch installed and hopefully it resolves the issue.

I still have a hard time believing that a simple (failure-prone) switch would render safety systems like VSA and ABS useless, so I'm not 100% convinced that this is the only thing going on.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:37 PM
Registered Member

Liked 126 Times in 109 Posts
Makes sense to me - all those safety systems involve computer-aided braking.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:55 AM
Registered Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bhaz View Post
Bad news, after about a month of regular driving this issue has reared its head once again. I bit the bullet and bought an advanced OBD2 scanner that could read component and system warnings and codes (not just CEL codes). I found a trouble code of "P0571 - Brake pedal position switch circuit".

After some light research, it turns out this is a semi-common failure among acuras and hondas. The replacement part cost me $10 and the repair looks super easy, I'll comment back when I have the replacement switch installed and hopefully it resolves the issue.

I still have a hard time believing that a simple (failure-prone) switch would render safety systems like VSA and ABS useless, so I'm not 100% convinced that this is the only thing going on.
I was thinking the same. To me the switch would be to turn on the brake lights nothing else, may be not.
It probably the first indicator on the system that tells the computer braking is needed.
Old 04-17-2019, 07:21 PM
Carmine S.

I had to replace the brake sensor once in my RDX ...
Old 04-18-2019, 10:19 AM
Registered Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did you have similar symptoms with your ABS and VSA?