V6 reported in April 05 Popular Mechanics

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 03:54 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
V6 reported in April 05 Popular Mechanics

Was getting tires balanced this weekend and picked up the waiting room copy of the Popular Mechanics April 05 issue.

There was a small article in the bottom right of a left hand page a few pages in from the front cover about the RDX. It stated the RDX was going to have a V6.

Anyone else see this? How credible is this article???

Bob Q
Old 04-12-2005, 11:09 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
MT claimed a Turbo and I'd think they're more crdeible than Pop Mech. Though if I had to guess, I'd say V6 as well.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

I know the torque might be a little low, but why don't they just stick the 3.2 from the TL into the RDX (to compete with the FX35) and the 3.5 from the RL in the MDX (to compete with the FX45 and larger SUVs)?
Old 04-12-2005, 04:30 PM
Cruisin'

Any mention of a release date yet? When can we expect to pre-order this fine automobile?
Old 04-12-2005, 06:00 PM
Instructor

Release has been rumored to be April 06.

As for pre-ordering, I have already done that back in January, number 1 on the waiting list.

http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/users/41b0d...SaFXCBhr77fmZz

Bob Q
Old 04-12-2005, 08:16 PM
Cruisin'

what did you tell them? what exactly did you pre-order?
Old 04-12-2005, 08:18 PM
Cruisin'

also your linky no workie
Old 04-12-2005, 09:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jniamehr
what did you tell them? what exactly did you pre-order?
I think he probably put his name on a list so that when they can finally start taking orders, they'll call him first. He didn't actually "pre-order".

Right?
Old 04-13-2005, 03:24 PM
Instructor

Pre-ordering may not be the right term as I have a deposit on the RDX at my local dealer.

Here is a different link to the deposit document.

When I put this deposit down, the RDX had not yet been confirmed as the name of the new small SUV and this was days before it was displayed at the Detroit Auto show. So my document refers to it as the "Future vehicle of interest would be Hybrid SUV as produced by Acura" as the dealer could not confirm a named vehicle nor an engine type. Interestingly they referred to it as Hybrid!

Bob Q
Old 04-14-2005, 11:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bobq
Was getting tires balanced this weekend and picked up the waiting room copy of the Popular Mechanics April 05 issue.

There was a small article in the bottom right of a left hand page a few pages in from the front cover about the RDX. It stated the RDX was going to have a V6.

Anyone else see this? How credible is this article???

Bob Q

Road & Track said the same thing in their May issue.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by AcuraFan

But I just noticed the article also says the RDX will be based on the same platform as the CRV and Element. Which, if I'm understanding this forum right, the RDX is based off a new light-truck platform (which the new CRV is supposed to be based off of). But they make it sound like the RDX will be based off the current CRV. So I think we can rule out this article for reliable info.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:22 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb So far....

....there have been about 3 publications (R&T, Popular Mechanics and one more - I don't recall now) that have said it will get a V6. Motor trend is the only one claiming a Turbo 4. I recall one other source saying there will be both options (a V6 and a Turbo 4) ........so right now the info available seems to indicate a V6 as the more likely possibility, but I'm not holding my breath!!

Besides this, there is pretty much a general consensus that the next-gen CRV will get a V6, on which platform the RDX will be based off......let's see what happens!!
Old 04-18-2005, 02:29 PM
Instructor

Yes, the NEXT GENERATION CRV....

But I just noticed the article also says the RDX will be based on the same platform as the CRV and Element. Which, if I'm understanding this forum right, the RDX is based off a new light-truck platform (which the new CRV is supposed to be based off of). But they make it sound like the RDX will be based off the current CRV. So I think we can rule out this article for reliable info.
....will be based off this same "NEW LIGHT TRUCK PLATFORM", but when magazines make quotes, at times, they don't get the message across accurately. So they may have actually meant "the next generation CRV", but the wording comes accross as them meaning "the current gen CRV" (because they've added the Element in there as well)
Old 04-18-2005, 02:38 PM
Instructor

Exclamation What the MDX needs is.....

I know the torque might be a little low, but why don't they just stick the 3.2 from the TL into the RDX (to compete with the FX35) and the 3.5 from the RL in the MDX (to compete with the FX45 and larger SUVs)?
....a nice massaged TORQUEY 3.8 or 4.0 Liter V6 rated at something like 275bhp and 290lb.ft. of (low to mid range) Torque......Honda is an "engine company". They can do it if they really want to......they just don't

.....and yes, sticking the TL's engine in the RDX would be really great. The 238lb.ft. of torque from the 3.2L would be more than sufficient for the RDX (and they could even retune it a bit to give slightly more torque: say something like 245bhp/250lb.ft)......but if you ask me, it will never happen.....I'd say they're more likely to stick the Accord's 3.0L V6 in there.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:20 PM
Instructor

Release date should be March 1st of 2006 as a early 2007 model. It is going to be a 4 cylinder engine. That's all I know at this point. You will also see the new redesign MDX in 2006 as 2007 model. That has also been confirmed. Acura may also discontinue RSX period in a year or two! You may also see 2 door TSX coming to the market pretty soon!
Old 04-27-2005, 11:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ccheung
Release date should be March 1st of 2006 as a early 2007 model. It is going to be a 4 cylinder engine. That's all I know at this point. You will also see the new redesign MDX in 2006 as 2007 model. That has also been confirmed. Acura may also discontinue RSX period in a year or two! You may also see 2 door TSX coming to the market pretty soon!
How do you know this?

Also, if we are going to see a 2 door TSX, what powerplant are we going to see in it? I just don't see a 200hp 2.4l being enough for a "sporty" coupe. I would LOVE a TSX coupe! (200hp or more)
Old 04-28-2005, 08:06 AM
Instructor

How do you know this?

Also, if we are going to see a 2 door TSX, what powerplant are we going to see in it? I just don't see a 200hp 2.4l being enough for a "sporty" coupe. I would LOVE a TSX coupe! (200hp or more)
I just came back from one of the Acura Gold Level Consultant Banquet. Things are being discussed right now! We all need to know what the future of Acura is going to be. I'll keep everybody posted once I have more insider info!
Old 04-28-2005, 09:26 AM
Racer

I just came back from one of the Acura Gold Level Consultant Banquet. Things are being discussed right now! We all need to know what the future of Acura is going to be. I'll keep everybody posted once I have more insider info!

Keep the info coming
Old 04-28-2005, 10:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

Awesome...are you the new oracle?

Speaking of which, I haven't seen Justin in quite a while. Is he still hanging around?
Old 04-28-2005, 10:54 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Awesome...are you the new oracle?

Speaking of which, I haven't seen Justin in quite a while. Is he still hanging around?
Nope.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sauceman
Nope.

Well Screw 'im. We got ourselves a new Oracle!
Old 04-28-2005, 01:08 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by sauceman
Nope.
Where is Justin then?? This info was right on the money.
Old 04-28-2005, 01:13 PM
Pro

I figured a 4 banger. Now what about the rumored turbo? Also I've read at Temple of VTEC the RSX is dead. Well it is a good car just doesn't fit the Luxury image Acura is trying to establish

A TSX coupe? I would rather see at coupe based off of the TL or RL. A V6 with at least 300hp, SH-AWD and sharp looking like the TL.

As a replacement for the RSX I can live with but as a replacement for the CL, I don't think I can (will have to see/drive the car first).

Is this possible TSX coupe the rumored CSX. I believe that name has been trademarked by Honda recently.
Old 04-28-2005, 01:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Precision Crafted
I figured a 4 banger. Now what about the rumored turbo? Also I've read at Temple of VTEC the RSX is dead. Well it is a good car just doesn't fit the Luxury image Acura is trying to establish

A TSX coupe? I would rather see at coupe based off of the TL or RL. A V6 with at least 300hp, SH-AWD and sharp looking like the TL.

As a replacement for the RSX I can live with but as a replacement for the CL, I don't think I can (will have to see/drive the car first).

Is this possible TSX coupe the rumored CSX. I believe that name has been trademarked by Honda recently.
I have a feeling a TSX coupe will handle a lot better than the CL.

Most likely what we'll see is the RDX with a turbo 2.4l. Then we'll see the a TSX coupe with the same power train followed by the turbo as an option for the TSX sedan. (and hopefully SH-AWD will trickle down from the RDX to the TSX coupe and sedan as well.)

CSX? Wasn't that the name given to that wicked looking CL concept from the late 90's?
Old 04-28-2005, 09:29 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

No offense, but I hope your info is wrong. A 4-cyl engine is a brainless move. I don't care if it puts out 400 lb-ft of torque with 500 hp, it will still be looked down upon in an SUV.

(actually I'd be impressed enough with that output , but i'm willing to bet it'll be tamer)
Old 04-28-2005, 09:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jcg878
No offense, but I hope your info is wrong. A 4-cyl engine is a brainless move. I don't care if it puts out 400 lb-ft of torque with 500 hp, it will still be looked down upon in an SUV.

(actually I'd be impressed enough with that output , but i'm willing to bet it'll be tamer)
Well, they said the same thing about the TSX and it's selling far better than expected...so I can see the RDX doing just fine even with 4 cylinders.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:57 AM
Instructor

Thumbs up Do We...or Do We See Eye To Eye!!!!!

Truly that would be a SUPER-BRAINLESS move!!!....looks like I see more and more people with this point of view!!!

4 cylinder = torqueless, UNREFINED POS that PRETENDS to belong in a luxury vehicle!!!

...and FYI, the TSX is quite an UNREFINED vehicle when it is accelerating in a moderate or agressive fashion. They've tried their best to mask it's inherent traits, and in all honesty I must say that they've succeeded in doing this while it cruises on the highway, but that nasty, thrashy, horrendous 4-banger sound shows itself at other times
Old 04-29-2005, 03:05 AM
Instructor

Exclamation While it's probably true that the TSX....

Well, they said the same thing about the TSX and it's selling far better than expected...so I can see the RDX doing just fine even with 4 cylinders.
.....is selling "OK", I wouldn't call it a RAGING SUCCESS!!! I see far far more TLs on the road than TSXs, and the TL came out way later. The TSX is made in limited numbers and that's why it gives THE IMPRESSION that it is selling very well, but I can bet if you could see Honda's internal projections for this car, it would not be doing all that well. .......what I'm trying to say is that if they'd put a "6" in there, it would probably have sold 5 times better.

Besides this, the TSX resides close to the bottom of the "Acura food chain" ....many people in this segment may not be put off by the 4 cylinder, but when you move further up the ladder ("Successful, well off urbanites with active lifestyles" to paraphrase Acura's own words), a 4-banger will just not cut it!!
Old 04-29-2005, 08:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by vicpai
.....is selling "OK", I wouldn't call it a RAGING SUCCESS!!! I see far far more TLs on the road than TSXs, and the TL came out way later. The TSX is made in limited numbers and that's why it gives THE IMPRESSION that it is selling very well, but I can bet if you could see Honda's internal projections for this car, it would not be doing all that well. .......what I'm trying to say is that if they'd put a "6" in there, it would probably have sold 5 times better.

Besides this, the TSX resides close to the bottom of the "Acura food chain" ....many people in this segment may not be put off by the 4 cylinder, but when you move further up the ladder ("Successful, well off urbanites with active lifestyles" to paraphrase Acura's own words), a 4-banger will just not cut it!!
People poopooed the TSX saying "glorified Civic" and "it won't sell" and "it's gonna suck" and wotnot. And 95% of those critics were silenced once they drove it. It's now winning awards and selling better than Honda expected. Of course, the TL is selling far better (2-3 times as many) because that's their bread-and-butter sedan. The TL has pretty much always been #1 or #2 in luxury sedan sales (behind only the 3 series). That doesn't mean the TSX isn't doing well though. It was designed and marketed to sell fewer than it is but as it turns out, success isn't dictated by executives. I don't think it would sell all that much better with a V6. For one thing, it wouldn't get nearly the good press if it had a V6. Most critics love the handling and the addictive 6spd mated perfectly with that engine. Very few complain about the engine size. None of them say "The TSX falls flat on its face because it has a 4-banger". I think good press sells cars, and the TSX gets good press.

Alls I'm sayin' is people were condemning the TSX because of it's 4-banger. And they were proved wrong. Don't condemn the RDX until you've driven it. Whatever engine they have in it, it will be fun to drive and a sales success.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

but that nasty, thrashy, horrendous 4-banger sound shows itself at other times
Eh, one man's nasty is another man's Mozart. To some it's "thrashy" to others it's...um..."energetic"...I don't know...

What I'm saying is, you don't like it, that doesn't make it horrendous to everyone.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
People poopooed the TSX saying "glorified Civic" and "it won't sell" and "it's gonna suck" and wotnot. And 95% of those critics were silenced once they drove it. It's now winning awards and selling better than Honda expected. Of course, the TL is selling far better (2-3 times as many) because that's their bread-and-butter sedan. The TL has pretty much always been #1 or #2 in luxury sedan sales (behind only the 3 series). That doesn't mean the TSX isn't doing well though. It was designed and marketed to sell fewer than it is but as it turns out, success isn't dictated by executives. I don't think it would sell all that much better with a V6. For one thing, it wouldn't get nearly the good press if it had a V6. Most critics love the handling and the addictive 6spd mated perfectly with that engine. Very few complain about the engine size. None of them say "The TSX falls flat on its face because it has a 4-banger". I think good press sells cars, and the TSX gets good press.

Alls I'm sayin' is people were condemning the TSX because of it's 4-banger. And they were proved wrong. Don't condemn the RDX until you've driven it. Whatever engine they have in it, it will be fun to drive and a sales success.
Exactly. Everyone thought the TSX would suck and now look - C&D calls it a jewel of a sport sedan. And it is selling very well. Please dont comment on the four cylinder powerplant when you haven't even driven it.
Old 04-30-2005, 07:09 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Truly that would be a SUPER-BRAINLESS move!!!....looks like I see more and more people with this point of view!!!

4 cylinder = torqueless, UNREFINED POS that PRETENDS to belong in a luxury vehicle!!!

...and FYI, the TSX is quite an UNREFINED vehicle when it is accelerating in a moderate or agressive fashion. They've tried their best to mask it's inherent traits, and in all honesty I must say that they've succeeded in doing this while it cruises on the highway, but that nasty, thrashy, horrendous 4-banger sound shows itself at other times
Please don't agree with me and then say something so inflammatory and stupid
Old 04-30-2005, 07:11 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

True, but there's precedent in selling 4-cyl engines in the TSXs segment. What upscale SUV has one??

A 4-cyl hybrid with V6 power would sell well
Old 04-30-2005, 11:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

True, but there's precedent in selling 4-cyl engines in the TSXs segment. What upscale SUV has one??

A 4-cyl hybrid with V6 power would sell well
What other car in its market has a NA 4-banger? Critics were condemning the TSX to a painful death because of it's I4...then they drove it.
I think we'll see the same thing with the RDX (if it gets an I4).
Old 04-30-2005, 02:52 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

What other car in its market has a NA 4-banger?
True, but there's precedent in selling 4-cyl engines in the TSXs segment.

Don't insert adjectives for me!

N.B. man that A4 is gorgeous
Old 04-30-2005, 06:45 PM
Cruisin'

Would a four banger get better gas milleage?
Old 04-30-2005, 10:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Don't insert adjectives for me!

N.B. man that A4 is gorgeous
Ah, but I said "NA 4-banger". People were reading the TSX its last rights before it came out because it was a 4-cylinder...and not even a turboed 4-cylinder. I read plenty of complaints about the TSX being a NA 4-banger. "Atleast Saab 4-banger has a turbo...but the TSX is a 4 without a turbo...it's gonna suck." Pretty much all of those critics were silenced after they drove it. I think the same thing will happen with the RDX...4-banger or not...turbo or not. You can poopoo the RDX's rumored powertrain all you want. It's going to be what it's going to be, like it or not. If you don't like it, you don't have to buy it. But plenty of others will.
Old 04-30-2005, 10:41 PM
Advanced

I thought SH-AWD only worked with V6's?
Old 04-30-2005, 11:28 PM
Instructor

Exclamation FOR YOUR INFORMATION, I've test driven it....

Originally Posted by vishnus11
Exactly. Everyone thought the TSX would suck and now look - C&D calls it a jewel of a sport sedan. And it is selling very well. Please dont comment on the four cylinder powerplant when you haven't even driven it.
.....not once, but SEVERAL times.....and not only that, but I was seriously considering buying one......and Yes, it was the 4-banger's "throaty sound" or whatever they call it that was a total put off......and I couldn't care less if Car and Driver calls it a jewel of a sedan (and in some ways, such as pure handling it might be, but different people have different priorities in a vehicle). Now, like I've said before, the target audience of this vehicle might be very different, and that may be why it does fairly well, but what I'm saying is that a 4-banger might not cut it with the target market of the RDX!! (at least from what Acura says who it's marketing this vehicle to)
Old 04-30-2005, 11:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

.....not once, but SEVERAL times.....and not only that, but I was seriously considering buying one......and Yes, it was the 4-banger's "throaty sound" or whatever they call it that was a total put off......and I couldn't care less if Car and Driver calls it a jewel of a sedan (and in some ways, such as pure handling it might be, but different people have different priorities in a vehicle). Now, like I've said before, the target audience of this vehicle might be very different, and that may be why it does fairly well, but what I'm saying is that a 4-banger might not cut it with the target market of the RDX!! (at least from what Acura says who it's marketing this vehicle to)
Eh, I think the RDX will do fine with its target market...you just might not fall into that target market.

Quick Reply: V6 reported in April 05 Popular Mechanics