Turbo or V6?? Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 12:37 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35
You might find with those model years the price is more determined by mileage than tech level. I started with color combo, tech level, mileage and then price. Just make sure they are sh-awd models, there at a lot of 10-12 fwd RDXs out there.
Yes, def going with the sh-awd.
Old 02-19-2015, 02:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 204 Posts
When I was shopping around a year ago, I noticed that AWD tended to add more to the asking price than the tech pkg. And yes, AWD on the 10-12 models can be hard to find...once they made it an option, the take rate was pretty low. There was not a single 10+ AWD model available in Arizona when I was looking, and all the ones in California were at dealerships with asking prices above what I wanted to spend.
Old 02-20-2015, 04:36 PM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Looks like I'm late to the game...If anything sticks out to me (and it's been said), it's that the 13+ RDX seems like an SUV and the 07-12 RDX is like a car. Every time I get out of a loaner RDX and into our old one, it feels like going from a small SUV to a high-up car. The ride height is different, the new RDX has truck-ier tires (60s vs 55s), and the whole dash is higher up and further back, the old RDX feels tiny inside compared to the new one in the front. The V6 engine is a nice change from the old turbo, but definitely not as "fun." Although as a commuter, I'd say the V6 is a little better. Still, Turbo is more fun and therefore nothing else matters!
The following users liked this post:
corduroy (02-28-2015)
Old 02-20-2015, 05:57 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by panamera125
Turbo is more fun and therefore nothing else matters!
I like your thinking!

Just today, while passing a car, I happened to get the perfect amount of boost in the perfect gear, and sudden flood of torque shocked me. By no means was this the first time I've gunned it, but it just caught me off guard.

Last edited by Jdrum1; 02-20-2015 at 05:59 PM.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:04 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,510 Likes on 1,178 Posts
Originally Posted by Jdrum1
I like your thinking!

Just today, while passing a car, I happened to get the perfect amount of boost in the perfect gear, and sudden flood of torque shocked me. By no means was this the first time I've gunned it, but it just caught me off guard.
Every once in a while, I'm in the similar situation; but, the 5AT get stuck in a higher gear and it doesn't downshift, even with the paddles. Shifting to "Sport" mode seems to give me more of a transmission range down with the paddles I don't get in "Drive". Sport mode and turbo TQ really comes in handy when driving in the mountains. I can see how the 6AT/9AT would be very nice for the +2013 RDX to maximize the lower TQ numbers.
Old 02-21-2015, 04:05 PM
Intermediate

Alright! I just came back from testing both vehicles. These are my "first" thoughts. Please note that this is all my opinion! I don't mean to "offend" anyone..

2012 Turbo - slow to 20-30mph and then the turbo kicks in..the lag is very noticeable ..sportier ride...even..jerky and bouncy at times..interior feels smaller up front than the 2013 models..a fun toyish turbo car..good mid-range power..for passing cars etc..

2013 V6 - good linear acceleration..refined..yes not as "fun" as turbo..but doesn't jerk..is smooth and is actually quicker than the turbo..especially from a stand-still at a stop light.. etc

I think the V6 would take the turbo at a stoplight..

i would say 0-60 in the V6 is quicker overall..i think mfg claims only about .2 seconds though..

anyway these are my initial thoughts..i will test drive both again at a different dealership to form a second opinion..
Old 02-21-2015, 04:37 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,510 Likes on 1,178 Posts
Just keep in mind real world driving. Other than jacking around, I don't need 0-60 speed. The turbo is faster than the V-6 in 30-50 mph to 50-70 mph; which, is what most merging/passing speed is needed. Hondata would help with the turbo lag from 0-30 mph.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:28 PM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
Better to think of the 1st gen as an all around package of great handling with SH-AWD together with the turbo, as opposed to simply which one is faster by a fraction of second or so. Of course with a few bolt on mods, the output of the turbo engine can be substantially enhanced.

I also drove both, and the 1st gen suited my needs better - I wanted the fun factor and a better vehicle in snow for ski trips. 2015 made me feel like a soccer mom. Fine for some, not for me.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:23 AM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Kaputnik
2015 made me feel like a soccer mom. Fine for some, not for me.
That's what I was thinking when I drove the second gen a couple of times as loaners. It was nice inside and I did like the linear acceleration of the six but it was like they yanked the soul out of the car. More like a minivan in the way it drove than a sporty-ish CUV. I'm pretty sure I was driving FWD loaners though.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:59 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Originally Posted by g4rdx
iforyou, that pretty much sums up the thoughts between 1g and 2g..although I am still a bit confused between flash and flashpro..what's the diff between the 2?

I can't wait to test drive both..as some on other threads have said..if i'm looking for a sophisticated SUV feel, I'd go Lexus..

So, here's a question..if the reflash ($300) turns the turbo into a smoother vehicle, why not buy a 2nd gen v6? Or, does the turbo still feel like a turbo after the reflash but with less lag? I guess what I am hinting at is that I wouldn't want the reflash to reduce the turbo "kick" for lack of a better word..
so..

reflashed turbo vs v6 2nd gen..what's the difference in ride/performance??
You can buy either the Hondata Reflash or the Hondata Flashpro for the 1g RDX.

The reflash has a set calibration.

The flashpro includes the calibration map found in the reflash plus a few more maps to choose from. You can also fine tune the ECU with the flashpro to suit your needs/mods.

If you have plans to modify your 1G RDX, such as intake, exhaust, intercooler, downpipe, etc, then you are better off getting the more expensive FlashPro.

If you will be keeping the RDX mostly stock, and just want a bit more oomph and a bit less turbo lag, then get the cheaper reflash.

I can still feel the turbo lag even though I have flashpro. But it's much less than stock.

I think getting the reflash at the minimum is a must for the 1G RDX.

Alright! I just came back from testing both vehicles. These are my "first" thoughts. Please note that this is all my opinion! I don't mean to "offend" anyone..

2012 Turbo - slow to 20-30mph and then the turbo kicks in..the lag is very noticeable ..sportier ride...even..jerky and bouncy at times..interior feels smaller up front than the 2013 models..a fun toyish turbo car..good mid-range power..for passing cars etc..

2013 V6 - good linear acceleration..refined..yes not as "fun" as turbo..but doesn't jerk..is smooth and is actually quicker than the turbo..especially from a stand-still at a stop light.. etc

I think the V6 would take the turbo at a stoplight..

i would say 0-60 in the V6 is quicker overall..i think mfg claims only about .2 seconds though..

anyway these are my initial thoughts..i will test drive both again at a different dealership to form a second opinion..
Yea, in stock form without any mods, the 1g RDX will take a bit of time to get the boost going. That means it takes a bit of time to reach 20mph. I'd say you will feel the boost going at 5mph if you have the reflash. Also, brake torquing briefly helps with the launch.

By the way, are you considering the 2016 RDX at all? Even though Acura is quoting a 6hp and 1lbft of torque increase over the 2015 model, I suspect that in the real world, the difference will be quite noticeable.

My understanding is that the current 2015 RDX is still using the old VCM system and that the engine doesn't have proper VTEC on the exhaust side. The 2016 engine will get the new VCM system with exhaust side VTEC.

For your reference, Honda made this switch for the Accord V6 too when going from the 8th gen model to the 9th gen. For comparison, the 8g Accord V6 5AT takes 6.5s to do 0-60mph. The 9g Accord V6 6AT only takes 5.5s. The extra gear ratio is properly responsible for 0.5s improvement, but the new VCM system plays a large role too. If the same applies to the 2016 RDX, I suspect it might do 0-60mph in 5.8 to 5.9s - easily beating both the 2012 RDX and 2013 RDX that you tested.

The 2016 RDX also adds quite a bit of new features (i.e. LED headlights and taillights, rear AC vents, and a bunch of tech gadgets).
Old 02-23-2015, 01:06 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by iforyou

The flashpro includes the calibration map found in the reflash plus a few more maps to choose from. You can also fine tune the ECU with the flashpro to suit your needs/mods.

If you have plans to modify your 1G RDX, such as intake, exhaust, intercooler, downpipe, etc, then you are better off getting the more expensive FlashPro.

If you will be keeping the RDX mostly stock, and just want a bit more oomph and a bit less turbo lag, then get the cheaper reflash.

I can still feel the turbo lag even though I have flashpro. But it's much less than stock.

Yea, in stock form without any mods, the 1g RDX will take a bit of time to get the boost going. That means it takes a bit of time to reach 20mph. I'd say you will feel the boost going at 5mph if you have the reflash. Also, brake torquing briefly helps with the launch.

By the way, are you considering the 2016 RDX at all? Even though Acura is quoting a 6hp and 1lbft of torque increase over the 2015 model, I suspect that in the real world, the difference will be quite noticeable.

My understanding is that the current 2015 RDX is still using the old VCM system and that the engine doesn't have proper VTEC on the exhaust side. The 2016 engine will get the new VCM system with exhaust side VTEC.

For your reference, Honda made this switch for the Accord V6 too when going from the 8th gen model to the 9th gen. For comparison, the 8g Accord V6 5AT takes 6.5s to do 0-60mph. The 9g Accord V6 6AT only takes 5.5s. The extra gear ratio is properly responsible for 0.5s improvement, but the new VCM system plays a large role too. If the same applies to the 2016 RDX, I suspect it might do 0-60mph in 5.8 to 5.9s - easily beating both the 2012 RDX and 2013 RDX that you tested.

The 2016 RDX also adds quite a bit of new features (i.e. LED headlights and taillights, rear AC vents, and a bunch of tech gadgets).
Thanks for this post. The 2016 is out of my price range. I'm looking CPO. I did "feel" better acceleration with the 2013 versus the 2012 (not flashed of course). I'd say 0-60 was low 6's, which matches up to what I read online.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:04 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Yea, the J series engine is quite a good engine. Did you like the engine tone of the V6 more or I4?
Old 02-24-2015, 11:36 AM
Advanced

If there was no turbo or SH-AWD on my RDX I would not have bought one.

For the price difference, go with the fun one. If you want a SUV more like a Lexus, buy a Lexus.

My .02
Old 02-24-2015, 12:18 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This right here ^

Originally Posted by Nachtsturm

For the price difference, go with the fun one. If you want a SUV more like a Lexus, buy a Lexus.

My .02
I agree completely. I own a Lexus and it was a comfy luxury mobile. (I have since modded it with coil overs, TRD sways, and other performance bits, so its less comfy, but that is for another thread)

Then when it comes to my RDX Sport is first and foremost.. right out of the box!
Old 02-24-2015, 01:24 PM
Intermediate

Yea, the J series engine is quite a good engine. Did you like the engine tone of the V6 more or I4?

Frankly, the V6.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:25 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Nachtsturm

My .02

The Lexus is more costly CPO and "slower" than the RDX.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:38 PM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
This is like the Bachelor Party movie with Tom Hanks, do you go for the girl or the car? The Turbo or V-6. Really does come down to what everyone is saying, drivers car versus comfy luxo RDX. I don't think you can go wrong with either one, just what is important to you?
justnspace (02-24-2015)
Old 02-24-2015, 01:40 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
^he wants others opinions.

we can spend his money all day. but at the end of the day, it's his money and his decision that HE has to live with, not ours.

so, enough with the foreplay and pick one already.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:33 PM
Advanced

The Lexus is more costly CPO and "slower" than the RDX.
Without the edge of the first gen RDX, what is the difference of a few tenths to 60? At that point, I'll just take which is more comfortable.

If you want a crossover that is quick, check into a CPO XC60 R-Design.

Short of the Macan S and GLA45, that is the best crossover I have driven. Just hard to find local.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:40 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by justnspace
so, enough with the foreplay and pick one already.
As my father used to say:

sh-t or get off the pot!
Old 02-24-2015, 02:48 PM
Intermediate

What a friendly bunch, some of you! HA HA, I don't need you guys to tell me what car to buy. It's a chat forum, ideas are discussed and thrown around. I'm not indecisive either. Any who! I'll stop posting on this topic before lol..good day!
Old 02-24-2015, 03:02 PM

I think its the way you phrased the question.

it sounds like you want us to help you make a decision, which we cant do, because we're not you.

if i'm off base here, I apologize
Old 02-24-2015, 03:26 PM
Intermediate

I think its the way you phrased the question.

it sounds like you want us to help you make a decision, which we cant do, because we're not you.

if i'm off base here, I apologize
No need to apologize! I basically liked the RDX, came on here to chat it up, and that's about it!
Old 02-24-2015, 03:44 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I think your post-test drive assessment is pretty accurate.
g4rdx (02-24-2015)
Old 02-24-2015, 04:02 PM
Pro

No need to apologize! I basically liked the RDX, came on here to chat it up, and that's about it!
Agreed, but you're asking for endless hypothetical comparisons. At this point the most educated choice is the one you make, which you seem poised to do once you decide what your needs truly are. Good luck and let us know if you score an MDX, RDX I4 or V6!
justnspace (02-24-2015)
Old 02-24-2015, 04:11 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kaputnik
Agreed, but you're asking for endless hypothetical comparisons. At this point the most educated choice is the one you make, which you seem poised to do once you decide what your needs truly are. Good luck and let us know if you score an MDX, RDX I4 or V6!
Another reason to kill some time at work! I'll let you know!
Old 02-24-2015, 04:12 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jdrum1
I think your post-test drive assessment is pretty accurate.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:05 PM

but its boring.
I dont even own the RDX but we've exhausted everything there is to talk about.

its more fun to keep trolling and asking you to decide right now than it is to keep talking about the RDX
Old 02-24-2015, 05:16 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Frankly, the V6.
Haha, same for me. I used to drive a 2G TL Type S with the J32 V6 engine in it. It sounds classy at normal pace, but the sound comes alive for what it is when I step on it. There were mods available, namely intake and exhaust, that would further improve the sound quality of the TL's J series engine.

The 1G RDX is fun to drive while practical, and with the reflash the lag isn't so much of an issue. But I really wish the engine would sound a bit more aggressive.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:03 PM
Pro

True, all these questions have been an amusing distraction from work
Old 02-25-2015, 09:41 AM
Intermediate

Haha, same for me. I used to drive a 2G TL Type S with the J32 V6 engine in it. It sounds classy at normal pace, but the sound comes alive for what it is when I step on it. There were mods available, namely intake and exhaust, that would further improve the sound quality of the TL's J series engine.

The 1G RDX is fun to drive while practical, and with the reflash the lag isn't so much of an issue. But I really wish the engine would sound a bit more aggressive.

Agree on the sound!

There's nothing like a Honda Civic cruising at 20MPH and sounding like a V8 Hemi..ha ha!
Old 02-25-2015, 09:42 AM

^eww

now we know why you're confused
Old 02-25-2015, 10:09 AM
Intermediate

^eww

now we know why you're confused
Did you just say "eww"? LOL.

It seems you're looking for an argument? Keep trying.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:16 AM

Did you pick a vehicle yet?
Old 02-25-2015, 10:38 AM
Intermediate

Did you pick a vehicle yet?
Lol and I'm the one killing time. You should be able to tell what vehicle I'm heading towards now. Are you confused? ))
Old 02-25-2015, 10:56 AM

^no, but you are.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:08 AM
Intermediate

^no, but you are.

Old 02-25-2015, 12:40 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Lol and I'm the one killing time. You should be able to tell what vehicle I'm heading towards now. Are you confused? ))
lol actually i can't tell!
justnspace (02-25-2015)
Old 02-25-2015, 12:44 PM

lol thank you, sir.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:33 PM
Intermediate

I'm going for the 2nd gen! Hold your applause people!

Here's my

1) 2G V6 - don't care for the turbo lag on the 1st G
2) 2G peppy acceleration vs 1G (relates to #1)
2) 2G upscale interior
3) 2G body design

Calendar year RDX US sales
2006 9,164[10]
2007 23,356[11]
2008 15,845
2009 10,153
2010 14,975[12]
2011 15,196
2012 29,520
2013 44,750[13]
2014 44,865