TSX to RDX...

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 09:07 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSX to RDX...

Hey guys,

I currently have a 2007 TSX, and I've been seriously thinking about trading it in next fall for an RDX. I live in the Midwest, and with this snow, I'm thinking an SUV might be a little bit more applicable. What do you all think? Would I regret going form a TSX to an RDX? I really like the looks of the RDX, especially with the optional chrome rims. If you guys could let me know your thoughts, that would be great!

Thanks much!

Jeff
Old 02-05-2008, 09:24 PM
Cruisin'

i just bot mine today...luv the look, got the body kits and the 19" chrome rims..probably more expensive than buying aftermarket rims but i really like the way these look....i traded in my Audi Q7 4.2...cant wait to get it on fri. I say: DO IT!
Old 02-05-2008, 10:08 PM
Advanced

i bought my rdx and then had to do some service and got a tsx to drive around for a couple days. I can say that the interior definitely has a more expensive look/feel to it. you aren't going to lose a whole lot on handling or acceleration. you will like it, just done whine about the MPG and you'll be good to go.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:16 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey Jeff,

At least you'll still be in the Acura family! You won't be trading much if any in performance, and the SH-AWD will not only help you in the handling dept., but will keep you out of trouble during foul weather. I say do it, if it will better meet your needs and you don't mind taking the hit in depreciation on your TSX. Good luck with your decision!
Old 02-05-2008, 11:14 PM
Pro

Hey guys,

Thanks much, I am really thinking about going this route. I'm sick of getting stuck with my TSX. On top of that, I work some crazy hours which puts me on the road when no one else is.

As far as performance goes, how much quicker is the RDX than the TSX? I'm thinking that the RDX will out handle the TSX, due to the SH-AWD, right?

Lastly, I saw an RDX tonight with some sweet chrome rims on it (they were purchased on the RDX from Acura, since it had an "A" on the center piece). Anyway's, are these optional? If so, what do they cost? Can you get All Season tires on these rims, or do you have to go with summer tires?

Thanks much!
Old 02-05-2008, 11:17 PM
Instructor

I have both...I would say that the RDX is much more competent in the snow. SHAWD gives you great traction and more confidence in inclement weather. The handling is just as good as the TSX. Finally, RDX has much more power than the TSX with only a bit of lag.

The only thing negative thing I have to say about the RDX is the fuel economy is quite a bit worse than the TSX.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:25 PM
Instructor

The TSX is a pretty sweet handling car, so I don't think the RDX will handle better than the TSX. The RDX is bigger, heavier, and has a higher center of gravity. SH-AWD is great, but it can't beat physics. the RDX may accelerate in a straight line faster though, the engine definately has more torque down low.

You should check out the thread about aftermarket wheels and tires in this forum. There are some really nice looking wheels for the RDX.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:30 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by TSXdawg
I have both...I would say that the RDX is much more competent in the snow. SHAWD gives you great traction and more confidence in inclement weather. The handling is just as good as the TSX. Finally, RDX has much more power than the TSX with only a bit of lag.

The only thing negative thing I have to say about the RDX is the fuel economy is quite a bit worse than the TSX.
How good do you think the TSX is in the snow with the stock tires? Have you ever had any issues where you've spun out, gotten stuck, or felt like you weren't going to make it to where you had to go?
Old 02-05-2008, 11:56 PM
Advanced

traditionally AWD doesn't necessarily mean your handling improves. in fact, I think most AWD systems increase understeer. with the SH-awd however, it does improve traction on the exit of your turn because of it's ability to transfer power to the wheels with traction. not a whole lot but noticable. you'd get more from stickier tires and a more aggressive suspension in terms of handling but awd can't be beat in wet/slippery terrain.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:54 AM
Instructor

I traded my '06 TSX in for an '08 RDX last week. Love everything about the RDX!
Old 02-06-2008, 08:22 AM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JLTSX07
How good do you think the TSX is in the snow with the stock tires? Have you ever had any issues where you've spun out, gotten stuck, or felt like you weren't going to make it to where you had to go?
With a FWD vehicle and all-season tires, you shouldn't have any issues here in the Midwest unless you live in such an obscure location where plows aren't effective (heavy winds over flat land which drifts shut roads constantly).

On a rare instance with HEAVY snow, I would feel vulnerable driving my old '04 TL with my all-season tires.

Perhaps you should look at getting a designated snow tire and dropping down a size - tires make all the difference, IMO, when it comes to snow/ice slush traction.

With that said, I went from a TL to the RDX as my daily driver and I've been EXTREMELY happy with the change. I might have lost a little handling w/ the RDX but in my mind the utility and the SH-AWD in inclement weather outweighs the handling loss.

The gas mileage is DEFINITELY worse though...I was averaging about 25 mpg in my TL and now am at 18 mpg....city 70/hwy 30.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:28 AM
East Coast Crew

Initial acceleration on the RDX will feel so slow. The TSX acceleration is a lot better at start.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:06 AM
Pro

Back in 2005, I drove the TSX and loved it, except it was too slow. I ended up with a Maxima. The RDX isn't a speed demon, but it fares better than the TSX IMO and it is a very good winter vehicle.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:17 AM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
when i step out of my rdx and drive my gf's TSX, i feel like its going from a v6 accord to a 4 cyl accord. the difference in power, across all ranges, is completely noticable. Every time i had my 07 rdx in for service, i came away with tsx's...even when engaged in the manual stick mode, i thought the car lacked balls compared to the rdx. there jsut wasnt enough power. With the track control, low gear, and fwd, my gf's gets stuck all the time if it snows like 6+ inches.
some people have mentioned lag, you will notice a small difference on intial throttle tip in, but other than that you prob wont even notice it after a few mins of driving.
You would be doing a major upgrade in power plants from the tsx to rdx, thus, yea i think ud be upgrading in ALL departments..... However, why not wait for the 09 tsx that is supposed to have a type s with the rdx engine and SHAWD...that thing is gonna rock (if awd is the feature that you are seeking) and if ur trading in the fall, id wait on the new tsx
Old 02-06-2008, 08:12 PM
Instructor

The stock tires are only average in the snow for an all season. It will handle light snow on the ground without much of a hiccup and the VSA prevents most of the spinning out.

The only time I felt I couldn't get anywhere with the stock tires is when it snowed and I was going up a steep hill but that is probably asking too much out of an all season. If you have many hills in your area, your best bet is to go with a set of snow tires.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:20 PM
Pro

Just out of curiosity, do you guys that drive the RDX in the snow have any issues with the ground clearance? From what I've heard, the RDX isn't that high off the ground. I'm just wondering if that hampers it's snow ability at all?
Old 02-07-2008, 06:20 AM
Newbie for Life

Just out of curiosity, do you guys that drive the RDX in the snow have any issues with the ground clearance? From what I've heard, the RDX isn't that high off the ground. I'm just wondering if that hampers it's snow ability at all?
Even in my TL I never experienced ground clearance issues when driving...so I have not had any clearance issues in my RDX here in Indiana. If there's that much snow on the ground and the plows aren't able to keep up, folks around here shouldn't be driving anyways.

Snow accumulation and what is "a lot" is all relative to where you live. Get 3-4" of snow here in Indy and there's school cancellations. Get 3-4" in Wisconsin or Canada and people put their summer tires back on.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:39 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Tripp11
Even in my TL I never experienced ground clearance issues when driving...so I have not had any clearance issues in my RDX here in Indiana. If there's that much snow on the ground and the plows aren't able to keep up, folks around here shouldn't be driving anyways.

Snow accumulation and what is "a lot" is all relative to where you live. Get 3-4" of snow here in Indy and there's school cancellations. Get 3-4" in Wisconsin or Canada and people put their summer tires back on.
And I live at the IL/WI border Anyway's, we just got 14 inches of snow yesterday. Do you think the RDX would cut the mustard in those kind of conditions?
Old 02-07-2008, 01:54 PM
Newbie for Life

And I live at the IL/WI border Anyway's, we just got 14 inches of snow yesterday. Do you think the RDX would cut the mustard in those kind of conditions?
I guess my "relative" comment pertained to the fact that some states are able to handle more snow than others due to the effectiveness and increased number of snow plows on the roadways. I was in West Virginia one week when it snowed about 6" and they have very few plows and the city I was in came to a halt until the weather/temp improved.

We've had one snow (with some ice) this season that had other cars slipping and sliding, and even some cars off in the ditch...my RDX handled it with relative ease with all-season stock tires. I feel MUCH MORE confident in this vehicle than any of my previous vehicles ('04 TL and '01 Saab 9-3 SE Vert).
Old 02-07-2008, 02:21 PM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
well from my experience this winter in the north east...weve had more snow than in recent memory, i was up in NH for a blizzard, and at home we also had around 1 1/2ft blizzards as well..my truck didnt get stuck once. i was actually able to get into it, and hammer out of my driveway without shoveling first to knock the snow down. Now, i wasnt exactly driving around town either, it was still pretty bad out, but the rdx did well, and the shawd minimizes ur chances of gettings stuck, it def handles the snow with confidence. Ice, the stock michellenins are ehhh, ive def slid in spots i didnt think we going to be a problem...pulling into driveways and parking resulted in small skids. only thing that was a little aggrevating is the turbo when in snow, you want power right when u hit the accelerator, even in 1st gear, it was sliggghttly hesitant to get me moving, but still....handles it well

the car isnt meant for any type of off roading tho, ull def hit the nose or something, i almost pulled the front lid spoiler off when i was tooling around in a vacant lot...have to be careful with its ground clearance
Old 02-07-2008, 03:07 PM
n8b
10th Gear

Definitely! I live in the same area as you and my RDX handled the last two days great. I have co-workers with Explorers and 4-Runners that complained their cars were sliding around in the mess. Not me! Thank you SH-AWD! Also, my RDX has handled Chicago winters much better than my STi did with blizzaks put on it. You'll have no worries with a RDX where you live.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:06 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The current TSX design is 4 years old. When I compared the two cars a year ago the TSX seemed outdated and plain when compared to the RDX. I'd wait until the new TSX comes out in the spring before making any buying decisions.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:36 PM
Meat Popsicle

I am in Chicago also, and at one point I had a 95 Impala SS. That car was useless in snow until I put some snow tires with standard width for a Caprice.
What a difference. That car went from dangerous, to one of the best snow cars I've owned.
Makes sense, since cops logged about a billion miles in those old caprices.

The RDX is good in the snow, with the standard tires. My wife has a 06 CRV and I think its a little more surefooted in the snow, but I attribute this to the tire difference. I would guess that the CRV has a less sporting tire.

If I were in in a worse snow belt than here, I would invest in the winter tires. Just for the improvement in snow stopping.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:39 PM
Meat Popsicle

Originally Posted by Tripp11
Always liked this one.
But, I am a Sox guy.
---------------

60 above - Floridians wear coats, gloves, and wooly hats.
Chicago people sunbathe.

50 above - New Yorkers try to turn on the heat.
Chicago people plant gardens.

40 above - Italian cars won't start.
Chicago people drive with the windows down.

32 above - Distilled water freezes.
Lake Michigan's water gets thicker.

20 above - Californians shiver uncontrollably.
Chicago people have the last cookout before it gets cold.

15 above - New York landlords finally turn up the heat.
Chicago people throw on a sweatshirt.

0 degrees - Californians fly away to Mexico.
Chicago people lick the flagpole and throw on a light jacket over the
sweatshirt.

20 below - People in Miami cease to exist.
Chicago people get out their winter coats.

40 below - Hollywood disintegrates.
Chicago's Girl Scouts begin selling cookies door to door.

60 below - Polar bears begin to evacuate Antarctica.
Chicago's Boy Scouts postpone "Winter Survival" classes until it gets
cold enough.

80 below - Mount St. Helen's freezes.
Chicago people rent some videos.

100 below - Santa Claus abandons the North Pole.
Chicago people get frustrated when they can't thaw the keg.

297 below - Microbial life survives on dairy products.
Illinois cows complain of farmers with cold hands.

460 below - ALL atomic motion stops.
Chicago people start saying. . ."Cold 'nuff for ya??"

500 below - Hell freezes over.
The Chicago Cubs win the World Series.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:55 PM
Newbie for Life

Nice post!!
Old 02-15-2008, 11:32 PM
haole kama'a-ina

Received 123 Likes on 72 Posts
The RDX has just under 6" of ground clearance. In fresh powder that isn't too much of an issue (see the next answer below).

However, in heavily rutted, packed snow and ice, it would be best to avoid ruts over 6" deep. Packed icy snow can be as damaging as rock, and the RDX has no skid plates. The oil filter, fuel lines, and fuel vapor recovery system (among others) are vulnerable.

If you anticipate driving on unplowed roads, the RDX will move well through 8" of fresh loose powder; the lower chin skirt is designed to push it down and smooth it under the car. Greater than 8" up to 12" will of course, present decreasing performance, and winter tires become neccessary.

I havn't done it, but theoretically about 12" of powder should be the limit. Above 12", heavy snow can be packed into the lower cooling slot, slamming against the air conditioning condenser, radiator, outside temp sensor. etc. (The cooling slot is at 14")

This is all very conditional: the vehicle will ride up on the snow it packs, effectively raising the clearance. Perhaps someone has experience with very deep snow???

The RDX is a great vehicle for most normal winter driving, (meaning, the roads are usually plowed before it gets much over 8"). If driving through +14" of unplowed snow is a vehicle requirement for you, you might want to consider a traditional off-road SUV.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:14 PM
El Chulo...

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Arrow TSX vs. RDX

My cousin owns a 05 TSX fully loaded, and i have had some extensive time behind the wheel of the entry level Acura. I absolutly love the ride of the TSX. It has powerful yet efficient 2.4 liter engine. The handling for a front wheel drive auto is surperb. The Nav is touch screen and the stereo is has good sound but not up to par with the RDX. If you need a vehicle with more space and SH-AWD prowess, you will love the RDX. The biggest lose will be in the fuel economy if you can handle that then you will be upgrading in every other dept.