Strange Transmission Behavior in low-gears

Old 03-12-2018, 12:50 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange Transmission Behavior in low-gears

This isn't a new issue on my 2008 RDX, but I've had the vehicle for a little more than six months now and it seems that the annoyance of this behavior hasn't worn off... Essentially, second gear seems to be really finicky, the car either does whatever it can to get out of 2nd gear or will be hesitant to shift into third. There are a few different scenarios where I have experienced this:

1. When turning into another street, if the car is in second gear, once straightened out on the new road and foot is back on the gas pedal, the car takes about two seconds to juggle which gear to enter and then abruptly shifts down into 1st, only to shift into 2nd a few moments later. (Currently away from my vehicle, but can get a video of this hopefully on Monday of next week)

2. When entering 3rd gear from 2nd, there is a faint rumble in the gas pedal but the shift is normal (RPMs and feeling). However, when the car is coasting and shifts down from 3rd to 2nd, it's a pretty dramatic and noticeable pulling feeling, like the car is being sucked backwards momentarily.

My parents own two Pilots with the same 5-speed, however, paired with the J35 and I've done a few tests on those, I can occasionally get the strange downshift from 3>2 but none of the other oddities. Could it simply be poor tuning for low-gear driving? The transmission shifts just fine and the car drives immaculately (except the bumpy suspension from the factory ).

Your help and experiences is appreciated!
Old 03-12-2018, 09:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 204 Posts
You may look into replacing the transmission pressure switches, or at least have a mechanic check to see if they need replacing. The hardware is pretty stout, the bad pressure switches can cause funny behavior.

https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-rdx-...cement-919364/
Old 03-13-2018, 12:12 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomtwtwtw
You may look into replacing the transmission pressure switches, or at least have a mechanic check to see if they need replacing. The hardware is pretty stout, the bad pressure switches can cause funny behavior.

https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-rdx-...cement-919364/
With my luck, it seems the 2nd gear pressure switch is the hardest to locate and change! Nonetheless, I'm going to go ahead and replace all three switches for good measure, and they're so cheap. Just need some good weather to give me the chance now.