AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   1G RDX (2007-2012) (https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-rdx-2007-2012-147/)
-   -   SHAWD vs. (https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-rdx-2007-2012-147/shawd-vs-966939/)

Willowbeast 02-09-2018 07:34 AM

SHAWD vs.

I've been searching and can't really find many SHAWD vs others videos. There are some, the majority is Audi vs Subaru vs Merc vs Lexus. is it because they would lose and that SHAWD really is that much better. I'm just curious as to what you guys think. I'm not trying to stir the pot just trying to figure out why so many videos of the competition vs other competition but not many vs SHAWD

justnspace 02-09-2018 07:58 AM

Too be honest, it's all about relevancy.
10 years ago, it was hot to drop videos about each others AWD system.
Since then, Acura dropped the great SHAWD from the 2nd gen RDX, and of course 10 years has passed.
there's not going to be a lot of relevant content for a 10 year old system that is no longer in the current gen.

ie; why would ACura spend the money to market its AWD system, Now?

mrgold35 02-09-2018 08:53 AM

Acura and Honda always had some great tech like sh-awd, one of the first to have "hot hatch backs" with Civics and Accords back in the 70s/80s, 4 wheel steer Prelude, high rev i-Vtec engines, and power hybrids combo instead of slow/weak hybrids like other brands. I think part of the issue with Honda/Acura is power choices and having a dedicated AMG/S-Line/M division to beef up the line-up. I don't think there isn't much of a performance difference Honda and Acura other than premium fuel and an extra 5-15 HP. Acura seems to be viewed as a trim level upgrade to Honda instead of its own separate car brand.

Acura has almost everything in place except for the option to drop the 3.0TT (+400hp/+400tq) in the 2nd Gen TLX, 4th Gen RLX, and 4th Gen MDX for a Type-S and Type-R versions. I think you will see Acura being invited out to play with its other toys.

justnspace 02-09-2018 09:03 AM

Sure, with this new 3rd generation RDX.

Willowbeast 02-09-2018 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by justnspace (Post 16182507)
Sure, with this new 3rd generation RDX.

Fingers crossed.

Quattro and Subby systems have been around for a very long time but still highly marketed.

mrgold35 02-09-2018 01:47 PM

I don't know if any of the mechanical awd systems from other car companies work without engine power? Some vehicles cheat at tq vectoring by braking the inside rear wheel instead of over-driving the outside rear wheel like sh-awd. Adding to the "New Tech" Acura is doing first is the sh-sh-awd. This system can overdrive the rear wheel with power OR use sh-sh-awd to slow down the inside rear wheel if you are off power on a curve to help rotate the vehicle. That has always been the weakness of the mechanical sh-awd in the RDX/MDX. You have to be on the gas pedal for it to engage or you have a top heavy 2 ton SUV heading into a corner.

I would love to see an awd comparison test with a mixture of bad weather and dry weather road course. I pretty much use my sh-awd in dry weather situations 97% of the time. My city is usually shut down for the day if we get more that 2-4 inches of snow.

Willowbeast 02-09-2018 02:04 PM

I know my RDX handles completely different over our Rav in the snow. I can hear noises from the RDX helping us keep straight and it seems to come from specific wheels. The rav to me has similar sounds but not from one specific wheel but from the front in general or the rear in general.

AlanW 02-12-2018 02:56 PM

Those AWD comparisons are basically meaningless unless both (all) vehicles have the same brand & model tires on them with the same wear.

07TLTYPESex 02-13-2018 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by AlanW (Post 16184001)
Those AWD comparisons are basically meaningless unless both (all) vehicles have the same brand & model tires on them with the same wear.

+1

Different tires = Different outcome.

At least have comparable tires. But still.