Running Board or not?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 02:09 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Running Board or not?

I'm planning on leasing my RDX because while I'm stoked about all the features, I'm a little pissed about the lack of memory seats, passanger power seat, and stock auto dim mirror, not to mention the poor gas mileage. I figure if I get a 3 year lease I can trade it in for that year's model which should have improved on the mileage (hopefully) and includes all the features I want.

Now the question is, do I get the running board or not? I'm 5'11" and probably wouldn't need it.

Any other accessories I should get? I'm leaning towards the sunroof visor, the auto-dimming mirror, the roof rack, and the splash guards. The cargo tray or cargo mat I'll probably get separately since it doesn't require installation.

Anyone get these features?

Anyone want to talk me out of getting the lease? I haven't leased a car before so I'd like to hear some objective pros and cons on the matter.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:59 AM
wiz
Pro

I say no to the running boards. They had an RDX with this option installed on it in our showroom and I hit my leg/foot on the running board every time I got in/out of the car. It just gets in the way as the RDX is not very high. Plus, I don't like the way it looks either.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:27 AM
Racer

Lease versus Buy depends on lots of factors. I leased two of my past cars and purchased them at the end of the lease. I went into the lease with the intention of buying them but I was short on cash so the lease helped me avoid the down payment. I put too much mileage on my cars to get an affordable lease (>20k/yr)

I buy my cars now and I like the fact that I don't have to worry about every little paint nick I get.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:26 PM
Racer

I wouldn't get the running boards... the car sits very low to the ground, they're not needed, and I don't like the looks of them (subjective, I know).

As for lease vs. buy, it primarily comes down to how long you want to keep the car, and that's something that only you can decide. Personally, I like to find a vehicle I like a lot, and keep it a long time, so I buy. If you like to change vehicles every 2-3 years, leasing is almost definitely the right way to go. However, Acura leases usually aren't a great deal, IMO... so see what kind of terms they offer, and do the math, and decide what works best.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:41 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No to the boards

We all kept tripping on the boards getting out of the car...since the car is a reasonable height, they serve no purpose.

And I do mean literally tripping over them! My sister FELL out of the car because her shoe got caught on them.

The next day, I had bruises on my calfs where they hit on the running boards.

Lease vs. buy...I don't see the advantage of leasing, but enough people still lease, that there must be something that is making them do it - maybe the lower payments, less down, who knows. I've never heard anyone say it's a good idea though unless you have a way to deduct the payments from your income taxes via a business.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:47 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

i say no to the running boards.

test drove one last saturday and i thought it didn't look right.
Old 08-31-2006, 01:52 PM
Instructor

I test drove one with and without the running boards and also found that the running boards get in the way. I would not get them. They're more for decoration than function.
Old 09-02-2006, 11:01 PM
holla!

they defintely are not functional, but i personally love how they look. Esp with the doors closed they kind of tuck underneath the car.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:12 AM
Advanced

We're stuck too

We do think those running boards look pretty good - they make things look sporty, though I'm a little afraid they might make the RDX look like a PT Cruiser!!!

We saw one of these in the showroom (and acura.ca has an RDX in silver on the web page that has the running boards and it looks awesome).

Also, I've heard that the running boards prevent garbage like stones, gravel, etc. from whipping up and damaging your paint if you're driving on unpaved roads or the like, so maybe that's a plus. Does anyone else know if there's any truth to this??
Old 09-08-2006, 09:17 AM
Instructor

I know with the MDX I've heard rocks and things ping off the running board which may have chipped some paint if they weren't there. On the other hand, who knows if they would have. I finally decided against the running board on the RDX. Haven't regretted it so far.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:22 AM
Missin my TSX =(

i may need running boards because of my mom shes short and has a weak leg, but it just looks like crap... so i think im gunna wait for those after market chrome running bars... what do you think guys?

i also heard that the running boards help prevent rock chips and all that... but then would the mud guards and the running boards look good together?
Old 09-16-2006, 01:43 AM
8th Gear

Getting in and out of an RDX on the show room floor convinced us to refuse the "mandatory" option package the dealer wanted to install that included the running boards.

They got in the way, made it harder to get in/out of the vehicle, and generally were a nuisance.

I say NO to running boards.
Old 09-16-2006, 01:49 AM
Missin my TSX =(

anyone know of any aftermarket running boards or those chrome pipe looking ones yet?
Old 09-16-2006, 07:05 AM
Instructor

No running boards. It does make it harder to get in/out. My wife hates the ones on the loaner RDX we drove last night.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:22 AM
Missin my TSX =(

Originally Posted by Teledatageek
No running boards. It does make it harder to get in/out. My wife hates the ones on the loaner RDX we drove last night.
wow they gave u a loaner rdx.... sweeet
Old 10-11-2007, 11:13 PM
8th Gear

im thinking about this too. buy or not.

i ordered the board after i got my car. it came in and i went to look at it. looking in the box i thought it didn't look that great at all. nothing like or sporty as the board on the MDX. i think MDX looked really hot!. much like the board on the BMW X5. plus im seeing that it's little wider then i would like it to be. just sticked too much and made the car look more rugged and truck-ish. it just doesn't look as clean and harmonized as the MDX.

i think im gonna pass on this....maybe just getting the roof rack.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:57 PM
Advanced

The running boards are fairly expensive and the dealers like the extra profits so they load their stocks with them and say they are mandiatory. Mine came with them and 2 weeks later I took them off and sold them on eBay. Just as everyine says they hit your leg and are in the way. If you think it prevents stone chips , I don't, then get the mud flaps or side clading.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:30 AM
8th Gear

after reading this thread, i think it helped on my decision for sure now.

NO! to factory board and wait for nicer smaller after one think. i just get the rr for now.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:03 AM
ACURA ENTHUSIAST

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got the running boards based upon people usage.
ala - Elderly, lil kids.
It def. really depends.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
Ya I got the running boards as well as I have an old granny. I'm 6'3 and I don't find my self tripping on it, I just find the the door is way too thick so the DOOR gets in the way lol (I'm comming from a crv so the door was quite thin and wouldn't get in the way)

Running boards are decent, it gives the rdx some accent and makes it look wider. I just gotta get me some chromys.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:32 AM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
A def YES to mudflaps & moonroof visor. The flaps trim down all the crap from shooting all over your car, especially sand/rocks and what not. The visor cuts out basically most if not all wind noise and turbulence, especially great on the highway.

If you are going to lease, why not look at an '08 that has mem seats & auto dim mirror standard. Leasing depends on mileage, how much do you drive? If you drive more than 15k a year, its not the smartest way. If you put low miles on your cars and like to have new cars, then leasing can be decent.

Acura was offering great APR's in the 2.9%/4.9, but im not sure if they are doing that still

Also, if leasing, negotiate the car like you were buying it, the selling price affects your payments and especially your buyout at the end of the lease. Dealers will likely knock off 500 off the sticker with a lease, thinking they did you a favor, where in reality if you were to buy the car, 500 would be a joke. Negotiate the sales price till you have hit rock bottom with it, then decide which option is good for you. Once you say lease to the sales person, your numbers are likely to be less favorable. and, no down payment!!! never lease with a downpayment.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:45 PM
Intermediate

Was my choice get them but...

When I saw a black RDX on the showrooom floor with running boards I said I gotta have 'em. Then I realized that when dripping with rain or slush these things are really going to mess up a nice pair of pants or a skirt when exiting. Oh well..
Old 10-14-2007, 01:56 AM
Advanced

We Got 'Em!!

I previewed the posts here before purchasing - most users said no to boards.

I picked up my silver RDX with a rear diffuser, the cool add on for the front of the vehicle (can't remember the name), and the one thing that I said I would never get - side mouldings. I picked these up only to be practical, but they have saved my doors a few times now.

In the end, I couldn't help myself - I loved the look of the running boards - they lower the look of the vehicle and they make the RDX look a lot tougher - I like that.

When the anniversary edition set came on the market, I picked up the running boards and saved 50% off the sticker.

Now, I love them - I've gotten used to getting in and out with them (I'm 5' 3" and they actually help me in and out) and they don't get in the way.

Also, I drove without them all winter, and I might have saved a few pant legs, but the vehicle's sides were coated with slush/snow - this made it tough for the rest of me to keep clean!! The boards should help keep things a little cleaner (I hope).

Also, without the running boards, I incurred some chips etc. that definately wouldn't have turned up if the boards had been on all along.

Finally, if you have the front end kit and the rear diffuser, the boards bring the vehicle together nicely - you need them to bridge the gap between front and rear.

Now, if I were a big, tall guy, who wanted a sophisticated and light looking little SUV, and I were worried about my pantlegs, then I'd totally skip the boards.

And, if I spent all my time driving around the city, I probably wouldn't need them.

I drive to the mountains, out the country and head to the odd fishing hole now and then - there's always gravel, dirt etc. , and tonnes of seasonal snow/slush.

Most of my days are spent in a pair of blue jeans, I'm small, and I like vehicles that look hard and fast - I just can't help it.

If you live and work the way I do, then maybe the boards are for you.

Hope this helps!!
Old 02-29-2008, 04:16 PM
2021 RDX A SPEC

Received 308 Likes on 189 Posts
sorry for bringing back such an old thread.. would the running boards assist in washing your car roof?!
Old 02-29-2008, 04:28 PM
... the CaSH ...

Originally Posted by Acura604
sorry for bringing back such an old thread.. would the running boards assist in washing your car roof?!
lol ... i'm sure they would.

i am starting to wonder on whether or not to get these. my bolster on the seat is starting to get warn, so if i get these and entire and exit standing on it, i wonder if i would rub up against the bolster as much?

anybody know where i'm coming from?
Old 02-29-2008, 06:43 PM
9th Gear

I have the running boards that I bought on Ebay and love them. I seriously doubt whether I would stand on then to wash the vehicle however. I don't think they would stand the weight. I did pick up a small folding aluminum scaffolding at Home Depot for about $25.00. It is about 3 ft long and about 18" high. I think it is made by Stanley and is in the ladder department. Now I can wash the center of the roof easily. Better investment than even the running boards
Old 02-29-2008, 07:12 PM
Code Monkey

I just installed my running boards a few days ago. They'll definitely stand your weight. If you think they won't, yours are not installed correctly.

The key to having them "get in the way" is to use them.

I personally I like the look they add. They add class to what, let's face it, is an otherwise nondescript exterior side-body design.