AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   1G RDX (2007-2012) (https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-rdx-2007-2012-147/)
-   -   Is it risky to buy a 225,000 mi. 07 Acura RDX? What's the life expectancy? (https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-rdx-2007-2012-147/risky-buy-225-000-mi-07-acura-rdx-whats-life-expectancy-975814/)

jax01 12-20-2018 07:26 PM

Is it risky to buy a 225,000 mi. 07 Acura RDX? What's the life expectancy?

There's a 07 acura rdx I'm looking at right now for around $4000. 1 owner, he says well maintained + highway driven miles, but 225K miles on it. Is there a lot of runway left with 225k? If it lasted me 2 yrs I'd be happy. Thanks

Midnight Mystery 12-20-2018 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by jax01 (Post 16353937)
There's a 07 acura rdx I'm looking at right now for around $4000. 1 owner, he says well maintained + highway driven miles, but 225K miles on it. Is there a lot of runway left with 225k? If it lasted me 2 yrs I'd be happy. Thanks

Bought mine in early 2016 with 175K miles, current at 237K miles.

It will last you as long as you want, but you'll probably have a handful of $500-$700 repairs over 2 years. But that's almost any car...

Being a first model year isn't helping.

Price isn't bad as long as it's in good condition! Paid $8K for mine!

Let's see who else cimes in!

jax01 12-20-2018 08:26 PM

Thanks for response! Yeah would love to get more info on how far these cars can go

Midnight Mystery 12-20-2018 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by jax01 (Post 16353965)
Thanks for response! Yeah would love to get more info on how far these cars can go

Engine and tranny will go as fas as you want them to... It's the other stuff you have to worry about...

Boxster98 12-20-2018 11:12 PM

Better be handy

I own 4 cars, and the 2007 RDX is the newest one. 201,000 miles. I work on them constantly. But if your willing to get your hands dirty you can save some serious money. My wife loves her RDX. It is peppy, and fun

Like midnight mystery said, plan on spending cash on it to keep it going. Start with ensuring ATF fluid, rear differential, transfer case, motor oil, coolant, P/S fluid, brake fluid are all fresh.

next plan on plugs, filters

starter, alternator, power steering pump, water pump, belts etc.

and pray your turbo is good

but if all that stuff is good, it is a great car for 4,000

boxster98

mrgold35 12-21-2018 07:35 AM

How many miles per year are you planning to put on the RDX? I have around 157,000 miles on my 08 tech and put around 10K per year in work commute/weekend errands duty only. She is getting a little rough around the edges; but, everything still works like new and a ton of fun to drive. It is just too good of a CUV to give up and I'm planning to keep her until the wheels fall off. The main issue I'm starting to run into is normal wear/tear of parts like A/C, alternator, suspension components, coil packs, brake rotors, radiator hoses, P/S rack/pump, leaks/creaks/groans, etc.... No issues with engine, turbo, 5AT, or sh-awd system. There is no guarantee you won't have the exact same issues with a RDX with 1/2 as many miles on her. If the RDX is mostly hwy miles, long documented maint history, little to no mods, and limited amount of owners could be a good deal and last you the +2 years with minor "one and done" wear/tear issues.

Might be worth finding a 3rd party mechanic or have Acura give the RDX a once over to make sure there are no surprises. Anything with the engine, turbo, 5AT, or sh-awd would be a no-go for me. Everything else is fixable from a local auto parts store or with used/refurbish parts from eBay motors.

Midnight Mystery 12-21-2018 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by mrgold35 (Post 16354127)
How many miles per year are you planning to put on the RDX? I have around 157,000 miles on my 08 tech and put around 10K per year in work commute/weekend errands duty only. She is getting a little rough around the edges; but, everything still works like new and a ton of fun to drive. It is just too good of a CUV to give up and I'm planning to keep her until the wheels fall off. The main issue I'm starting to run into is normal wear/tear of parts like A/C, alternator, suspension components, coil packs, brake rotors, radiator hoses, P/S rack/pump, leaks/creaks/groans, etc.... No issues with engine, turbo, 5AT, or sh-awd system. There is no guarantee you won't have the exact same issues with a RDX with 1/2 as many miles on her. If the RDX is mostly hwy miles, long documented maint history, little to no mods, and limited amount of owners could be a good deal and last you the +2 years with minor "one and done" wear/tear issues.

Might be worth finding a 3rd party mechanic or have Acura give the RDX a once over to make sure there are no surprises. Anything with the engine, turbo, 5AT, or sh-awd would be a no-go for me. Everything else is fixable with used parts from a local auto parts or eBay motors.

Yep! Best advice you'll get!

jax01 12-21-2018 11:09 PM

Appreciate all the answers! I'm gonna go ahead and buy it in couple days for $4k. Test drove it before at a dealership and LOVED the ride and everything about it. I don't know a whole lot about cars (yet) but seems like now will be a good time to start learning (Youtube tutorials, research, ask here in the future, etc) and doing. I'll probably put on less than 10k miles/yr since I work locally so not much of a commute. Sounds like with 225k it'll need some upkeep, which is fine if they're not super major/expensive repairs. Only thing I'm worried about is the turbo, which I heard can go and get expensive. Do you know anything specific I should pay attention for with this car when I test drive the car in a couple days?

Midnight Mystery 12-22-2018 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by jax01 (Post 16354512)
Appreciate all the answers! I'm gonna go ahead and buy it in couple days for $4k. Test drove it before at a dealership and LOVED the ride and everything about it. I don't know a whole lot about cars (yet) but seems like now will be a good time to start learning (Youtube tutorials, research, ask here in the future, etc) and doing. I'll probably put on less than 10k miles/yr since I work locally so not much of a commute. Sounds like with 225k it'll need some upkeep, which is fine if they're not super major/expensive repairs. Only thing I'm worried about is the turbo, which I heard can go and get expensive. Do you know anything specific I should pay attention for with this car when I test drive the car in a couple days?

As long as it's not sounding weird or boosting strangely, it should be fine. As long as the oil was always changed at it's designated intervals.

Turbo failures are EXTREMELY uncommon in the RDX, not to say failures haven't ovcoured in the past, but any moving part has the ability to fail. I wouldn't worry about it as long as it was cared for!!!

Believe me... If you fail to change the oil it will annoy you every time you get in... Someone would literally have to be a straight up ass not to change it. No excuses. Not to say everyone does, but most Acura owners will.

Is this car a one-owner, if so, it'll mean the previous owner cared for it...

When you get it, post pics!!!

75tranzam 12-22-2018 04:31 AM

If the original owner kept up the synthetic oil changes that Acura started at the prescribed schedule the engine and turbo should be fine. You can tell when you first get into a car if the owner took pride in it and maintained it and the test drive should validate that. If this truly is a one owner car some maintenance documentation should be included with it and that should further verify if the RDX was taken care of.

Good luck on your purchase!

mrgold35 12-22-2018 08:17 AM

Find out if the dealership has a limited warranty available. Even a 30-90 day warranty would be better than nothing. You will always find issues with an used car after about a week or two of driving. I purchased my 11 MDX used with 30K and I had a torn front endlink boot, replaced the front magnetic struts, alignment, firmware update of the 6AT, and another firmware update for check charging system error in the first few months of ownership. Everything (except for the alignment) was covered under the 4yr/50K basic warranty.

russianDude 12-22-2018 12:10 PM

My 2008 is 188k miles. Original owner. The main repairs I had at dealer:
- AC coil replacement $700
- transmission gasket leak $500
- strut leaking $200
- some hvac controllers got bar $300
- HID light and balast replacement $800

everything else is normal maintance and tear/wear. I could have saved money fixing stuff outside the dealer.

With 225k miles your alternator and starter can go any time if still original. Probably AC will fail if its still original. Shocks and suspension might need work too.

jax01 01-03-2019 04:28 AM

Went ahead and bought it! :butthead: Thanks for the advice! Love the car and glad I did. It has 225k but doesn't drive like it, very smooth. Got a carfax for it beforehand, oil changes every 3-4 months since the beginning, only 1 owner. So my hope is that it's a "young" 225k 'cause it seems to be taken care of very well. Will post pics once I get them uploaded.

Midnight Mystery 01-03-2019 04:31 AM

Amazing! Can't wait for pictures! I just hit 239K miles in my 2007 RDX a few hours ago!

Tomtwtwtw 01-03-2019 11:26 AM

Single owner is usually a very good sign. If it had any significant problems, they would have been passed on to the next owner(s) by now. At 225k, anything defective should have broken by now, and if it has been well maintained it should have some useful life left.

CSmoney28 01-05-2019 06:42 PM

You’ll spend a lot in regular maitnence just be ready for that and you should be fine. If you do have repairs their expensive too though, so just be aware of those two things.

mrgold35 01-05-2019 07:37 PM

Do you know if the RDX had the Takata airbag replaced? It should have been done at the dealership around 2 years ago.

Midnight Mystery 01-05-2019 07:44 PM

Funny thought. My dealer "claimed" to have replaced my airbag while having other repairs done last year, but, it looks untouched.

russianDude 01-05-2019 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by mrgold35 (Post 16359888)
Do you know if the RDX had the Takata airbag replaced? It should have been done at the dealership around 2 years ago.

Check your vin number on acura website. If recall was done, it will be updated

CSmoney28 01-12-2019 06:54 PM

You can’t tell it was replaced by looking at it. I had mine done and I couldn’t tell either.

russianDude 01-12-2019 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by CSmoney28 (Post 16364218)
You can’t tell it was replaced by looking at it. I had mine done and I couldn’t tell either.

I mean login into Acura.com and checking the VIN. After I had my airbag done, they updated some information and it stop showing open recall for my VIN. Before I did the recall it had Open recall.

jax01 01-24-2019 10:58 PM

photo of RDX, better late than never lol. love the color. interior and exterior in good shape for 225k miles

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...e063898b08.png

Midnight Mystery 01-24-2019 11:14 PM

Yay! Beautiful!!! Looks exactly like mine!

CSmoney28 01-25-2019 09:24 PM

Yeah, same with my vin on the Acura ownerns site...

Congratulations 🎈🍾🎉🎊!

markmass 01-29-2019 10:50 PM

Looks great! :yum: I'm hoping my '09 lasts as long as yours (I'm at 145k right now).

Originally Posted by jax01 (Post 16371316)
photo of RDX, better late than never lol. love the color. interior and exterior in good shape for 225k miles

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...e063898b08.png

Rongay1281 02-27-2019 02:42 PM

Throw on a modded turbo and see what she does

mistryp 02-27-2019 08:58 PM

Nice! Welcome to the club!

CSmoney28 03-08-2019 09:06 PM

141,000 miles on 09’ only half way dead just like me haha