remote start recommendations/suggestions info needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 09:56 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
remote start recommendations/suggestions info needed

Sometimes I wonder if reading the archives here causes more confusion!

I want to add remote start to my 08 RDX w/tech package.
Is this going to be a problem?
What do I need to be aware of?

All I've read on here is people who cannot open their car doors w/o the engine cutting off. Seriously.
Are these experiences just a hack job, or is this technology package a pain in the ass which is gonna cause me issues with remote start?

I've read Viper is a good brand, what brands are most reliable?
I'm not installing DIY-gonna pay to get it done.

Need suggestions-I didn't think that remote start was very difficult to install, but after reading here, I figured I better find out what mess I am in for.
I'm not wanting anything fancy that goes to a smart phone. Just a remote start that works properly & can pre-heat my car in the winter.

Please tell me this tech package is not gonna be an issue, & that a way has been figured out since 2008 to get a proper remote start on this vehicle!!!
Old 12-02-2016, 08:45 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I had this installed 2 years ago https://www.compustar.com/remote-start/pro-g8/ at local shop.

No issue since. I can unlock the doors but only using its remote. Once the car is started, the factory remote is useless. And I have the 2008 with Tech.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:25 PM
Intermediate

You say you have no problem-- but you cannot open your door with the remote if your car is started?

To me, that's a problem. That is just not acceptable. Surely some company has come up with a solution.
That's what I am trying to find.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Catia
You say you have no problem-- but you cannot open your door with the remote if your car is started?

To me, that's a problem. That is just not acceptable. Surely some company has come up with a solution.
That's what I am trying to find.
I believe he's stating that he can still unlock the doors with the remote that also starts the car, just not the factory remote. So, your keychain simply has 2 remotes on it. That's probably as close as you're going to get for a car that did not offer remote start as a factory option.
The following users liked this post:
DateTSX (12-14-2016)
Old 12-08-2016, 11:35 AM
Intermediate

Ah. I see.
I'm surprised at the lack of technology concerning remote start for something that has the 'technology package'.

The biggest issue I am having is getting ANY independent info from people not trying to sell remote starts.
I thought I'd get more of a response here. I'm really wanting to be informed about my options before deciding who is going to install my remote start.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:04 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Catia
Ah. I see.
I'm surprised at the lack of technology concerning remote start for something that has the 'technology package'.

The biggest issue I am having is getting ANY independent info from people not trying to sell remote starts.
I thought I'd get more of a response here. I'm really wanting to be informed about my options before deciding who is going to install my remote start.

Thanks Tomtwtwtw for the info.

yes, I would need to carry the other remote along with the factory's. Here's my 2 cent on my starter:

- Its a simple remote start feature, no alarm system, although the dealer will offer to sell it with one as a package.
- Because we have the old "turn-key" and not a push button start, we don't need to get another module or unit install. I hear we need one if our car has a push-button start.
- Range is far better than my wife's Inifniti's factory starter.
- The 2-way feedback is nice. I don't have to visible confirmed that the car is running. One thing to note. When the command is send to the car, all the doors automatically unlocks during the process but locks itself afterward. The entire process takes 5 to 10 seconds. We get two remote but only one of them has the 2-way feature.
- The courtesy lights remain on when the car is running.
- The car will remain running for 10 min or longer but you will need to configure it. I left it at 10 min
- Upon entry of the car, pressing the brake will disable the car(no $hit) but if you insert the key and turn it to "ON" and press the brake then it will remain active.
- The climate control will turn on to the last setting. So if you forget to turn on the heater the night before, the next morning it will remain OFF.
*side note* I accident over turn many times when I don't realized the car is already running. But I don't get the "sherk" noise with the RDX. It just does nothing. I'm happy with this as my experience with overcranking will shorten the life of the starter.

Sorry for the long comments but I felt compelled to offer my experience.
The following 2 users liked this post by DateTSX:
Mipps (08-21-2019), mrgold35 (12-14-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 09:31 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I did the Viper 5806v 2-way remote start and alarm for the kid's TSX two years ago. Since the TSX keys and fob are not one unit, it was an easy replace of factory fob with the Viper one. I figured it would nice feature to have on cold mornings since the TSX was parked outside. And it wouldn't hurt to have a real 2-way alarm with motion for the TSX in a High School parking lot all day. It turned out to be more trouble than what it was worth.

- needed to change the fob batteries every few months or the remote would die
- it would lose its programming for the alarm and wouldn't arm (the remote start would still work)
- it would run down the already undersized TSX battery if the car sat for more than 3 days

Ended up taking the alarm off the TSX after a year of jacking around with it. My preference now would be a stand alone remote start fob I can attach to my keychain when needed.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

Though the RDX still has a turn-key start, it has a sensor that detects a running engine and is effectively the same as a modern push-button start. All you have to do is flick the key and it will crank until it sense the engine start (as opposed to holding it in the start position until the car fires up). The same sensor is also why it will not engage the starter if the engine is already running even though you are turning the key. This is why you don't get that grinding/shrieking sound you'd hear from an older car if you try to engage the starter while it's already running.

Fun fact - although the S2000 has a push-button start, you must still insert the key, turn it to on position, and then hold the button down until the car starts.
Old 12-14-2016, 05:02 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Tomtwtwtw
Though the RDX still has a turn-key start, it has a sensor that detects a running engine and is effectively the same as a modern push-button start. All you have to do is flick the key and it will crank until it sense the engine start (as opposed to holding it in the start position until the car fires up). The same sensor is also why it will not engage the starter if the engine is already running even though you are turning the key. This is why you don't get that grinding/shrieking sound you'd hear from an older car if you try to engage the starter while it's already running.

Fun fact - although the S2000 has a push-button start, you must still insert the key, turn it to on position, and then hold the button down until the car starts.
Thanks for that. All this time I though I was going to need a new start in the future that is very insightful. Learned something new today and the quirky S2000 start up process.
Old 12-14-2016, 05:27 PM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by DateTSX
Learned something new today and the quirky S2000 start up process.
LOL tell me about it. Dumbest thing ever.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Kaputnik
LOL tell me about it. Dumbest thing ever.
#becauseracecar

I dare say it was cool at the time, but technology does have its way of improving things.