Rear Door Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 09:36 PM
DJF
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Rear Door Speakers

My wife has a 2007 RDX w/Tech and the rear door speakers are shot (they just buzz). The dealer quoted $80 to replace one if I supplied the speaker. Are bad rear door speakers common? If there is one thing I don't like about the RDX it's the lousy sound from the stereo.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:23 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When you say buzz I think of two things. One being the speakers being distorted while playing music or a blank hum no matter what. If it's the first thing. Just get speakers from a junk yard and reduce the bass or rear gain. If the hum is constant you can first find the factory amp and locate wires inside door. You can ohm them with a digital multi meter. Should read 0.0 not .0l otherwise it means your getting a bad signal from your factory deck or amp. I'm not famoliar with rdx but look into a possible noise cancelling issue for the rear. Some acuras have a mic in the back that cancels certain frequencies and only power certain speakers.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:28 AM
DJF
Instructor

Thanks. The speaker buzzes. The rear RDX speakers are split into two units: One speaker in the door panel and a tweeter up on the rear pillar. My problem is the door panel speaker. I did some more research and found that rear door RDX speaker problems spare common. I found an upgraded OEM speaker online that costs $28. It's a pretty crummy speaker that looks like at most a $9.00 speaker, which explains why the audio quality in the RDX stinks.
The following users liked this post:
Hmax (04-29-2014)
Old 04-13-2014, 02:51 PM
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 234 Posts
Originally Posted by DJF
Are bad rear door speakers common?
Yes the mid-range (lower door) speakers in the 2007s are problematic and have been replaced with a new part number.

Originally Posted by DJF
The dealer quoted $80 to replace one if I supplied the speaker.
The OEM speakers were about $26/each a few years ago, when I replaced all of mine. It is quite easy to remove the door panel and do it yourself.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:39 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
My driver door is doing that. I Want to upgrade them all but apparently it is not as easy as we think.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:38 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have replaced both driver and passanger side speakers with OEM ones and now they sound crummy again. I am upset with this. I have the tech package with navi and premium sound and i am looking to upgrade to another speaker, just nothing too expensive that will use the factory amp. This is my wifes car and she fights any mods i try to buy. You should of been there for the running boards incident lmaoooooo.

With that being said, anyone know of a good aftermarket speaker that wont be crappy nor too expensive.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:26 AM
DJF
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hmax

With that being said, anyone know of a good aftermarket speaker that wont be crappy nor too expensive.
Good luck, and let us know if you find anything. My defective speaker was replaced at the dealer last week when I had the rear driver-side passenger door lock replaced (another ongoing RDX issue) so there was no extra labor for the speaker. All sounds good now but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:09 PM
Intermediate

I don't know, coming from a factory 2007 civic hybrid stereo, the rdx is like night and day.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 204 Posts
Did only the early 1st gens get crappy speakers? I am very happy with the sound quality of my 2010's ELS system, and no issues with any of the speakers. And I have given them a few good runs.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:56 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
should be easy enough to take to a BestBuy and get an aftermarket variety...I would ditch the OEM units, they are HORRIBLE.
I'm looking to do the same soon...
Old 05-08-2014, 07:32 AM
Intermediate

The problem with the tech package speakers are that they are 1ohm i believe, its werid, really hard to find an aftermarket speaker that is 1ohm. Full disclosure, i have not looked too hard into it as the wife does not seem to complain or even notice (even when i point it out) my hearing is a bit different cause my other car has a an SQ quality system and i am running active so i notice all types of werid noises from other cars
Old 05-08-2014, 05:02 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Hmax
The problem with the tech package speakers are that they are 1ohm i believe, its werid, really hard to find an aftermarket speaker that is 1ohm. Full disclosure, i have not looked too hard into it as the wife does not seem to complain or even notice (even when i point it out) my hearing is a bit different cause my other car has a an SQ quality system and i am running active so i notice all types of werid noises from other cars
Its not about the quality of the speakers that we have, its more about the sound format we mostly use. Which is MP3. But our sound system is perfectly designed for working only with DVD Audio multi channel sound. The rest (radio and MP3) sucks.

No one who complains about our sound system quality has ever listen DVD Audio on it. The ELS is one of the best car audio multi channel system in the world.