RDX vs Lexus RX350 Apples vs Apples?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 06:14 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RDX vs Lexus RX350 Apples vs Apples?

Hi Guys,

Here in Canada Toyota just reduced thier MSRP on thier Toyota & Lexus lines. So now you can get a RX350 for 44,350 base model, plus taxes, 6 cyl, 270 HP.

I've been a fan of the RDX for a while and it was at the top of the list, wondering how you guys think the RDX would compare to a 350RX. The fuel consumption on the 350 is a touch better than the RDX and I think overall the vehicle is a tad bigger.

Opnions are appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:02 AM
Instructor

Hey Two dog, before you purchase any car you should definitely test drive all cars which you have in mind. when I decided I need a suv, i narrowed down my choices to fx35, rx350 and the rdx. I test drove the rx350 and rdx only because I felt that the fx35 just didn't have the leg space for the rear passengers (to me it felt like a wrx sti). well.. here's my two cents on the rx350 (my father in law owns a 07) and the rdx (which i've owned for 10 months).

Rx350

performance: very quiet v6 (hence the luxury), pick up is smooth, more body roll compared to rdx (due to ride height)

comfort: if it's comparing to an rdx, it's like heaven and hell (two ends of the spectrum). Granted it's not as comfortable as a luxury sedan because it's still "truck" based. To me, comfort was second on the "need" list and performance was first. If you've read the threads here, you'll probably know that any unevenness of the road will upset the rdx's suspension. The seats on the rx350 are just ugly when it's compared to the rdx's. the interior looks like a minivan (to me, probably because it has those lumber arms on the side of the seats)

Also, steering wheel on the rx350 is way too light.

Sounds like there's a lot of things that are bad with the rx350 right? Well here's the good (at least that I like):

1. transmission, even though both cars are only 5 speed, the rx350's tranny is much more smoother and refined.

2. Adaptive front lighting system (Afs), basically your low beams headlamps will swivel a bit in the direction which you're turning.

3. auto open and close trunk. (although sometimes I find it stupid because it's so slow, other times it's quite useful)

4. Touchscreen navi system (although the screen resolution is not great to me)

hmm.. that's actually all i can think of. at this moment

Now for my choice, the 07 rdx

Based on the interior specs of the fx35 and rdx it seemed the same, but in actuality, the rdx felt slightly larger. With that said, the rx350's interior is larger than the rdx's.

Now, on to my likes and dislikes about the rdx

performance: as mentioned, my first priority was performance and then comfort. even though it's only a 240 hp turbocharged 2.3 liter inline 4, it produces more torque than the rx350 (270hp and 251lb-ft) and 8 less lb-ft than the fx35 (275hp), it feels very fast for a car that's almost 2 tons. It's got paddle shifters (sport mode) for you to play around with (they actually work). Not to mention it's SH-AWD (i think i've read somewhere that it's one of the most advanced systems out there). Due to its lower ride height and stiffer suspension, the body lean and roll is very minimal (especially if it's compared to rx350)

comfort: well, my previous car i had modded the suspension, so i've had a taste of what "bumpy" feels like. Therefore, it didn't really bother me that the suspension of the rdx was stiffer than a alot of suvs. To me, it's considered sporty and not jawbreaking (and I live in New york city where we have bumps and cracks and potholes on every block on the street) However, once you hit the freeway or highways (where there are less bumps and potholes), it rides very smoothly (although as smooth as rx350). Back to the rdx's sporty ride; front passenger and driver don't get as harsh as a punishment as the rear passengers. I have to say this one thing; the interior of the rdx is gorgeous despite it's over infested front console. (note how i didn't say luxurious).

Steering on the rdx is much heavier than the rx350 which to me is great (i feel like i have more control on the car).

Dislikes:

1. No bixenon hids and adaptive front lighting system

2. mpg severely decreases if you constantly let turbo to kick in and if you're driving spiritly.

3. no passenger power seating

4. Acura transmission hasn't been the best, and the rdx's 5 speed isn't the greatest either. Sometimes it doesn't like to downshift.

5. The brakes on the rdx (60 mph-0mph @ 132ft) are sufficient but are not very strong (rx350's brakes are much more responsive and have more stopping power, 60mph-0mph @ 124ft)

6. something small; no led tail lights

I know my review isn't the greatest, but it's my impressions from test driving, owning and driving both of these cars.

Now, I don't think their apples to apples. Because, one is focused on luxury and the other is sportiness. Also, the market which both brands focus on are two different markets (average age of a lexus is 50s while the rdx was marketed towards late 20s to early 30s).

OK. I just realized how long this has gotten, therefore I leave you with this:

TEST DRIVE THEM! (not just around the block, REALLY test drive them)

GOOD LUCK!
Old 02-04-2008, 09:31 AM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
apples n oranges...will come down to what you prefer and value.

if ur looking at the RX, id say wait on the redesign coming, the truck is OLD.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:26 AM
08 PMM/Black Tech

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The chassis is old the styling is dated. It's not even in the same league as the RDX and X3. I felt like throwing up after a 30 minutes test drive around the twisties. I would rather boat around in a MDX than a RX. We were tempted by the RX400h packaging but after the test drive it was clear you'll have to numb all your senses (maybe not hearing) to drive such a car.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:36 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Lightbulb Not the Same but Lexus Might Make 1

Lexus Considers New Compact SUV
Sales of SUVs may be slowing but that hasn’t stopped carmakers around the world developing new models to cater for the competitive market. Mercedes-Benz just took the wraps off its new GLK compact SUV and now Lexus is considering building a small SUV of its own. The official stance thus far has been to ignore launching a new model but the increasing number of vehicles in the compact-luxury segment has got Lexus executives to rethink their stance.

Officials have reason to be wary. The compact SUV market already has several strong competitors in the form of the BMW X3, Acura RDX and Infiniti EX35, and soon it will be joined by the new Mercedes GLK and upcoming Audi Q5. Speaking with Automotive News, Toyota America Chief Jim Lentz said a small Lexus SUV could be a response to the “urbanization” of Gen Y buyers and empty-nest boomers, which studies have found is an expanding market.

The new model would be positioned below the current RX350 (pictured), Lexus’ smallest SUV model, and would be priced around the $30,000 mark. To keep costs low engineers would use an AWD version of the Toyota RAV4 platform but developers are still worried about creating a luxury vehicle that would sell in this price range.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:09 AM
Don't jive my 3.5

The RX350 is way smoother then the RDX we'd had 2 RX's in my family and they were both great! just as powerful too!

RDX 0-60 6.5
RX 350 0-60 6.7
Old 02-04-2008, 12:00 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Acuraboy7
The RX350 is way smoother then the RDX we'd had 2 RX's in my family and they were both great! just as powerful too!

RDX 0-60 6.5
RX 350 0-60 6.7
if anything the rx350 is faster because of its better tranny. however, the rdx feels more like a "driver's car". The rx350 just feels "boring" (in my opinion)
Old 02-04-2008, 12:27 PM
Racer

I agree - take some test drives and then decide. The Lexus is much more minivan-ish in performance, handling, driving position, and styling. That's great for soccer moms, but maybe not for guys who want a little more fun.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:42 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
To get things like HID, bluetooth etc. on the RX350, you have to opt for the packages that add a lot of money to the price. I like the RX350, but the price and the stability control that isn't defeatable would lure me away.

The EX35 is the enthousiasts choice, provided you realize they are not as big as the RDX or RX350.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:19 PM
Instructor

The 08 RDX has bixenon HIDs
Old 02-04-2008, 08:46 PM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ThePlainsman
The 08 RDX has bixenon HIDs
no it doesnt

"All RDX are equiped with Xenon High-Intensity Discharge low beam headlights."

Direct quote from Acura.com go to RDX, then features, then HID Headlights. This was discussed previously on the board. The DRL and High beams are halogen.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:21 PM
Advanced

not really apples to oranges, more like apples to pears kinda comparison. my one main reason for not getting an rx350 cuz the new model is set to come out this year. just google it. lexus still has the old folks car moniker despite the likes of the IS350. drive the IS and the tranny is even more sluggish than you think the rdx is. you're also talking about a $5000 difference in base price. of course they're giving away the rx350s because its the last year for this model, but you can also get a giveaway price for the rdx too.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:50 AM
7th Gear

Thats some good reading because I'm also in the market, and this vehicle is on top of the list...

The only thing as of right now, not even test driven yet, is the use of Premium gas....Since this car is going to be driven 99% of time by the wifey, she wont like the fact that she's got to pump oremium.....
Old 02-06-2008, 11:51 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by WRX_FTW
Thats some good reading because I'm also in the market, and this vehicle is on top of the list...

The only thing as of right now, not even test driven yet, is the use of Premium gas....Since this car is going to be driven 99% of time by the wifey, she wont like the fact that she's got to pump oremium.....
I think Acura and Lexus both recommend premium for all their vehicles.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:00 PM
Racer

Here's an interesting article from Forbes magazine about who buys which cars:
http://www.forbes.com/2008/02/05/car...positesex.html

"Mike Michels, a Lexus/ Toyota (nyse: TM - news - people) spokesman, says 66% of the RX 350 SUV buyers are female, and 78% are married. Their median age is 55 and they have a median income of $141,000. About 25% of female buyers have children under age 18, suggesting that many are empty-nesters."

If you are not a middle aged mother, you have to remember that is who they are designing the car for and others may or may not find the features they really want. Middle aged mothers are probably not interested in sporty vehicle with the latest tech gadgets.

Unfortunately, the article does not mention the RDX.