RDX update after 8 years of ownership

Old 07-16-2015, 01:06 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
RDX update after 8 years of ownership

Got the RDX in april 2007, still running smoothly , 130 K km...

Regular oil changes every 5000 km, engine runs as smooth as the day I got it

changed transmission fluid at 80K and 130k km, also the rear transaxle fluid annually, transmission AWD is going well. Noticed some slippage around 120K km, changed out fluid at 130K, looks good now.

Changed through 2 sets of tires

Still awesome through the snow

Fuel consumption, still as horrible as the day one. But its a turbocharged engine on a full time AWD system, and a very heavy chassis, so kind of expect it, and it was not a direct injection , hence fuel economy not the best...

Overall, still love the car, its dated, but still has another couple of years in it, my son drives it now... will probably change it over to another SUV, probably a Hyundai or Sportage... something with much better fuel economy...
The following users liked this post:
Rosbro (08-07-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 01:13 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
congrats on your long 8 year ownership and many many more to come!
Old 07-16-2015, 01:52 PM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Great to hear you haven't had any hiccups over an 8 year period! Gives me hope that ours will be trouble free with proper maintenance as well. To be honest my initial hesitation when looking at the turbo model was that this was pretty much Honda's first attempt at a turbo motor in a production car and I was nervous that it would decrease the long term reliability. Everything I am reading though is that most folks are having plenty of trouble free years
Old 07-16-2015, 02:13 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WRXtranceformed
Great to hear you haven't had any hiccups over an 8 year period! Gives me hope that ours will be trouble free with proper maintenance as well. To be honest my initial hesitation when looking at the turbo model was that this was pretty much Honda's first attempt at a turbo motor in a production car and I was nervous that it would decrease the long term reliability. Everything I am reading though is that most folks are having plenty of trouble free years
Yes, just keep changing the synthetic engine oil/filter religiously every 5000 km, and you should be good to go with the turbo. And don't cheap out on the oil , use the Honda spec HTP-06, Mobil 1 or Pennzoil will be great.

My turbo still whines up beautifully .

Keep changing the rear transaxle fluid annually and the AWD system should be good to go as well.

I clean my leather seats with Lexol leather cleaner, and it keeps it looking great.

The original factory suspension is still holding up fairly well.
The following 2 users liked this post by mav888:
Ayu688 (07-20-2015), WRXtranceformed (07-16-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 02:37 PM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mav888
Yes, just keep changing the synthetic engine oil/filter religiously every 5000 km, and you should be good to go with the turbo. And don't cheap out on the oil , use the Honda spec HTP-06, Mobil 1 or Pennzoil will be great.

My turbo still whines up beautifully .

Keep changing the rear transaxle fluid annually and the AWD system should be good to go as well.

I clean my leather seats with Lexol leather cleaner, and it keeps it looking great.

The original factory suspension is still holding up fairly well.
Great! Yeah I always use high quality synthetic in all of my vehicles so no worries there. Funny you said that about Lexol, I also used Lexol cleaner and conditioner on all of the seats in our RDX right after we bought it. I also use Lexol in my car and it keeps the seats like new. Oddly enough I won an online contest for a Pinnacle interior detailing kit a while back. I liked the leather cleaner better than Lexol's but didn't like their conditioner as much on my car. However, the RDX leather LOVES the Pinnacle conditioner...even more so than the Lexol. So now I have an excuse to use up the Pinnacle stuff
Old 07-16-2015, 11:38 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
That's great that it's been reliable for you!

Honestly though, 130k km is nothing for a Honda!

My '09 has about 150k miles, and runs/drives great (just returned from a long road-trip through some fun mountain terrain).

So far, I've replaced part of the windshield wiper linkage (don't think that was the cars fault, $20), and my navigation DVD drive is acting up (have a new one on order for about $50).

The seats and interior surfaces have held up great. It doesn't look of feel like a car that's done as many miles as it has.
Old 07-17-2015, 09:05 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I purchased my 08 RDX in 2010 with 30,000 miles and I now have about 120,000 on her. Just had some minor wear/tear issues like torn center arm rest, driver door actuator, burnt out 3rd brake light, broken sun visor, and replaced all 4 struts/shocks. Eibach springs might have done the OEM struts/shocks in; but, 120,000 miles is still pretty good with that set-up. Just routine maint, a good wax job yearly, and weekly car washes keeps her looking new.

I don't know if I will keep her past 150,000 miles? I might just pass her down to my son when he starts college next year. His 06 TSX with 120,000 miles also is still running strong.
Old 07-18-2015, 12:05 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's great! I have only had mine for about a year, but I am anticipating the same results. I only have 35000 miles, but I could not be happier with the vehicle overall. It was either the RDX or the CRV, and after driving this thing, I do not think I would have been as happy with the CRV, even if I didn't know it! Keep on truckin'
Old 07-18-2015, 12:16 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by JamesFN
That's great! I have only had mine for about a year, but I am anticipating the same results. I only have 35000 miles, but I could not be happier with the vehicle overall. It was either the RDX or the CRV, and after driving this thing, I do not think I would have been as happy with the CRV, even if I didn't know it! Keep on truckin'
CR-V's are great, but the RDX way more fun!

I initially thought I would end up with a CR-V. Once I started looking, I found that CR-V's of comparable age/mileage/equipment (so, top end for CR-V) were actually selling for MORE than RDX's.

I'm guessing that this is due to the reputation and strong market (new and used) for CR-V's. High mileage RDX's offer a lot of value.

I also noticed that most CR-V's with over 100k miles had multiple previous owners. Most RDX's I found were one owner. High mileage RDX's also seemed to have received better treatment and more attention to regular services (of course, there were some exceptions to this). I'm sure this correlates to the pricing of a new luxury SUV, and the the type of owner that purchases such vehicle.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:07 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
At the time I was looking for my RDX, the wife really wanted a CR-V because it looked so "cute". I took her down for a CR-V test drive and she loved the car (took forever to get away from the salesman). Went immediately to the Acura dealership and test drove the RDX and she hasn't mentioned the words CR-V in over 5 years. The RDX had what every Honda/Acura is missing; put you in the back of your seat torque.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
I have similar experience with my RDX. I bought it new in 2008 and it has been mostly trouble free. Very early on, the headliner was rattling so that was fixed. The only other unexpected repair was a blown passenger door speaker. Everything has been scheduled maintenance according to the MID. Currently at 52k miles.
Old 08-07-2015, 03:07 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great to hear, I had a 2013 Sportage, they are pretty nice. I'm loving my 2010 RDX