RDX trade in/private sale/or keep?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 04:53 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RDX trade in/private sale/or keep?

I realized I just put this under new owners... probably not the place for it. So posting it here.

Username: Flowerpower
Last 5 digit of Vin: don't know (it's in the shop to fix DVD)
Color Ext/Int: Alabaster Silver/ Black
Month/Yr of purchase: Nov 2007
Price paid after tax/lic: $44,500 ($41,000 before options)
Model Yr of RDX: 2007
Base/Tech: TECH

Options are: day/night mirror, underbody spoiler, sport front, side molding, cargo cover, all season mats, front two windows tinted, locking nuts, $2500 dual headrest 7" DVD Rosen players. 44.500 out the door.

Now I love this car. But I have a problem. I have two kids and trying for my third. I bought this car kind of unexpectantly. I went to check them out and figured they wouldn't give me what I needed on trade-in so was really planning on waiting until Dec to get the newer MDX if my husband and I could afford to. Well they found a wholesale buyer for my car... etc.... and so we left that day with the RDX. I LOVE IT. But it's a little tight for a family of 4 and a possible third child.

I put 5k down on it.... it has 6500k miles on it. Great condition. And am wanting the MDX badly. But I can't get the dealer to give me but 32k on it because they said they take invoice - 2k then minus some more for miles. I lose what I bought in options if I were to trade it in. I can sell it in the paper probably for more than the silly 32K offer they gave me. I am just sore. I love the car, but feel like I jumpped the gun... The turbocharge is great. I love this cars get up and go power. The noise isn't bothersome (not over two loud kids anyway). There are no power passenger seats, and no auto light feature. The sound system is unbelievable.

Any tips on what I should do? Do you think if I waited a year I could get a gently used MDX for less than sticker? Whould it be worth it to wait or do it now as my RDX will be racking up more miles? The thrid baby isn't on the way yet so that's at least 10 months of not needing extra space. I just don't know how much more the RDX will depreciate... What do you all think?
Old 01-09-2007, 05:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
definitely wait till the prices on the MDXs come down in price. They are still selling for full MSRP. They will come down in the next few months, certainly within the next 9 months if you have another child.... The RDX is already selling for good discounts, so it's prices won't drop as fast.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:40 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Try a CarMax if you have one nearby.

Also, maybe hold on to the car for a little bit longer to see if you might be able to pick up a slightly used MDX.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Carmax would love to get a hold of an RDX as I'm sure they haven't had one yet... You're still gonna lose alot on it though as you paid quite a premium for the RDX. I'd recommend you pull the DVD system out of the RDX before you get rid of it. The headrests may fit the MDX seats if they match...

Eric, looks like you aren't the most expensive RDX anymore....
Old 01-09-2007, 07:44 PM
Trailingthrottleoversteer

CarMax blows hard. The take in cars at less than wholesale, and sell the used cars for over retail book. It's a heckofa business (at least in LA). I got a better trade value from the dealer.

Cars are the worst investment in the world. Mentally - you have to write off the added options. They have zero value - hard to take, but true. Maybe you could sell it private party, but what is your time worth?

I think you are in a better position if you trade it in on an another Acura at an Acura dealer. Sales are slow now because everyone did the mad rush to buy at the end of the year. If you are buying a new MDX, keep saying NO on the trade in value while haggling until you get close to what you want...but be careful they dont make it up on the price of the MDX (like they did to you on the RDX). Walk away a couple of times. Come to think of it, maybe a private party sale is easier
Old 01-09-2007, 07:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

I've had nothing but good experiences at carmax here in VA. They just really have to want the vehicle you are trying to sell. they always give me much more than the dealers for trade. I've sold 3 cars to carmax and never bought one from them.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:19 PM
07 RDX - Royal Blue/Ebony

I just sold my 05 Outback to CarMax today -- they were $3K higher than the best offer from an Acura dealer on trade-in, and only $1K less than the private sale price I had in mind if I went that route. I was very happy with the price.

CarMax is known to be "high" on desirable cars -- a vehicle 1-2 model years old with low mileage that may be in demand in some part of the country. They are also known to be "low" on older vehicles, vehicles with too many miles for the age, or vehicles that are not in demand somewhere. So don't expect a great deal on every car.

For the original poster, I am wondering how you spent $45K on an RDX!! That must have been a lot of accessories! Given that you paid so much and the car is so new, this is a terrible time to sell or trade it. You are taking the biggest hit in value at the moment. Maybe after 2 year consider revisiting the situation. For now, you would be taking a bath!
Old 01-09-2007, 10:48 PM
rdxsteverino

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by flowerpower
I realized I just put this under new owners... probably not the place for it. So posting it here.

Username: Flowerpower
Last 5 digit of Vin: don't know (it's in the shop to fix DVD)
Color Ext/Int: Alabaster Silver/ Black
Month/Yr of purchase: Nov 2007
Price paid after tax/lic: $44,500 ($41,000 before options)
Model Yr of RDX: 2007
Base/Tech: TECH
Recommendation: Quote your Price paid before tax/lic rather than after tax/lic (see the RDX Owners Sign In thread which uses this coordinate system). This is the price everyone on this board is used to seeing - otherwise you will get a lot of negative reaction to your $41K purchase price.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

before or after taxes and licensing, that is a very high number for nov 06. I don't think texas charges 10% sales tax on cars do they? and thats still over MSRP.