RDX Spy Photos

Old 12-29-2005, 02:16 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RDX Spy Photos

Hello all, thanks for allowing me to post in this forum

I thought some of you may be interested in this....

During a recent trip to Michigan I happened to cross paths with a pair of what seem to be Acura RDX test cars. I have granted Autospies permission to host the photos;I will provide a link as soon as I have it.

I am not well versed in the speculation for this particular car, but nonetheless did find one thing in particular interesting. I noticed that one of the vehicles had four large vents in the hood,which can be seen clearly in a photo taken at a stoplight. Is there any information regarding power train for this vehicle? In my opinion they could be cooling vents for a turbo / supercharger.

- Looking forward to sharing the pictures and hearing your insight
Old 12-29-2005, 02:53 PM
2nd Gear

Here are the links... Thanks Autospies.com

RDX Spy Photos Part 1

RDX Spy Photos Part 2
Old 12-29-2005, 09:04 PM
Racer

Great shots!! Thanks for the quick post, even if it was with Auto-Spies.

Considering the heavy camoflage, the windows seem larger than the concept and the roofline seems wider for a boxier look. NOT GOOD! BUT I'll wait for the uncamoflaged version and some specs before condemning Acura.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:40 AM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Honestly, I don't think that's the RDX. It looks more like the new Santa Fe, to me.
Look at the grille, the rear, the head and tail lights?!?!
Old 12-30-2005, 01:43 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb First off...

.....RDX Spy, thank you for sharing those spy pics with us!!...on very close examination (I've looked at, and studied those pics over 20 times now), it does look like it may, indeed, be the RDX....look at the very "civic-ish" front end treatment, on the fenders to the sides of the hood (it's georgeous to my eyes- I do think the new Civic is a BEAUTY!!...and I generally don't say these kinds of things very easily). Secondly, look at the camouflage carefully. The grille cover is shaped to mislead, because part of the headlmps of the actual vehicle are still visible where the grille starts (and the headlamps look very "Acura-ish"). Also the side view mirrors look very signature Acura/Honda. The rear does have 2 separately routed exhausts (don't really know if this necessarily gives us any hints about the powertrain)
Old 12-30-2005, 05:15 PM
Intermediate

I didn't think the new RDX was going to have any side mirrors? I dunno, doesn't look much like the new concept to me, however if they camoflauge test cars to avoid any attention, then it very well could be a match! There are definitely similarities!!
Old 12-30-2005, 05:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by agenteye
I didn't think the new RDX was going to have any side mirrors? I dunno, doesn't look much like the new concept to me, however if they camoflauge test cars to avoid any attention, then it very well could be a match! There are definitely similarities!!
The RDX will definitely have side mirrors...I just thought the RDX side mirrors were going to have turn signals in them like the TSX and RL.
Old 12-31-2005, 06:31 PM
Racer

If anyone has the Acura Style Magazine (Winter), the prototype is shown. I just got it in the mail today. The pics shows side mirrors. It indicates it has SH-AWD and a 4 cyl turbo charge engine. It also indicates HID night piercing headlights.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:04 PM
10th Gear

Unhappy

Originally Posted by rifleman-cl
If anyone has the Acura Style Magazine (Winter), the prototype is shown. I just got it in the mail today. The pics shows side mirrors. It indicates it has SH-AWD and a 4 cyl turbo charge engine. It also indicates HID night piercing headlights.
Can you post the picture please?

Man if the RDX is really a 4 banger with turbo then bye bye RDX, IS350 here I come...
Old 01-01-2006, 03:12 AM
Racer

RDX prototype pic

Hope this works....This is the first time I ever posted any pics.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/PhotoVie...vfolderid=2006
Old 01-01-2006, 03:47 AM
Racer

Hope this works....This is the first time I ever posted any pics.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/PhotoVie...vfolderid=2006
LInk doesn't work, try again or try something else please.
Old 01-01-2006, 11:21 AM
Racer

Can someone help me post the pics?
Old 01-01-2006, 11:37 AM
Racer

RDX prototype pic

Let's try again.... You also read the partial article on the left of the picture.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-01-2006, 11:42 AM
Racer

Another partial pic from Acura Style Magazine.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-01-2006, 12:01 PM
10th Gear

Another partial pic from Acura Style Magazine.

[IMG][/IMG]
Thank you for these pictures...

Man I have to say that the prototype looks pretty good but damn it, when would Acura/Honda learn that a 4 banger just won't do (even with turbo-charged)
Old 01-01-2006, 05:36 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Man I have to say that the prototype looks pretty good but damn it, when would Acura/Honda learn that a 4 banger just won't do (even with turbo-charged)[/QUOTE]

Let's just wait and see - I think it's premature to write off the turbo-charged 2.3 L engine before we even have a chance to try it. I have a feeling that it's going to be hot!
Old 01-01-2006, 11:43 PM
Intermediate

Your Acura Style Article

For reference - is this the text from the article you posted? re: 2.3 Turbo 4-cylinder finally confirmed.

RDX Prototype
Insiders Guide – by Patrick Paternie

Get ready to welcome a new member to the Acura family.

MDX fans, be advised: There’s a new Acura SUV set to share the spotlight with your favorite vehicle. Enthusiasts at the 2006 U.S. auto shows can soon say hello to the RDX Prototype, a “near production” version of the exciting, premium sports utility for the urban adventurer.

On the exterior, the RDX Prototype was designed shorter than its MDX sibling. Teamed with Super Handling All-Wheel Drive (SH-AWD) functionality first introduced on the RL, and VSA?, the compressed dimensions make for enhanced maneuverability on city streets and mountain curves. Other key features promoting safety include ACE body structure and night-piercing HID headlights.

On the interior, the driver can command the turbo-engined SUV via next-generation paddle-shifters and a multi-info display (MID). The AcuraLink Navigation System with real-time traffic alerts the driver to potential delays, as well as directing him to more entertaining options such as a new restaurant or sporting event. The Acura/ELS Surround system with DVD-Audio provides superior sound quality with multiple media input options. The utility part of the SUB means hefty storage capabilities for an active lifestyle.

The production MDX will be read to hit the streets this summer.

American International Auto Show in Detroit, this near-production model is a seamless blend of agile sedan and functional sports utility vehicle … an entry-level SUV it’s smaller than the popular MDX in both size and price – the RDX prototype is certainly rich in advanced technology.

The all-new RDX Prototype boasts a 2.3-liter 4-cylinder turbo-charged engine, and Acura first, that is designed for optimal performance and efficiency. The RDX Prototype is also only the second Acura vehicle to include the revolutionary SH-AWD super handling functionality which provides class-leading cornering performance and stability as well as enhanced traction on dry or wet surfaces.

Inside, the RDX Prototype sets its sights firmly on the future as well. Superior amenities and features such as in-dash navigation system with real-time traffic, Acura/ELS DVD-Audio surround sound system, XM satellite radio, and a multi-information display keep the driver up-to-date, informed, and entertained. Expect the production version RDX which will come from our plant in Marysville, Ohio, to arriver in dealerships in the summer of 2006.

The buying and ownership experience is another … Acura is committed to continually enhancing. One of our major efforts toward this goal is our EXCELL program – Exceeding Customer Expectation Levels for Life, say Steve C…, vice president of Acura National Sales. He also notes that Acura showrooms at the 250 dealerships across America have been recently upgraded inside and out to create an enhanced customer-friendly sales and service environment.

Treating the customer right, and delighting them by anticipating their needs. That the … Honda way. Ant that’s what Acura will continue to do in the future. As Steve C… reflects, The Great One, hockey legend Wayne Gretsky used to say, most players go to the puck, I go where the puck is going to be. Well in that same spirit, we are not aiming at the current market. We are going where the luxury customer’s interests and demands will be in the future.

Stay tuned. It’s an exciting road ahead.

Where to See the RDX Prototype:
January 14-22 Detroit Auto Show
February 11-19 Chicago Auto Show
April 14-23 New York Auto Show
Old 01-02-2006, 12:40 AM
Racer

Yeah. That's the one.
Old 01-02-2006, 01:04 AM
Instructor

Thumbs down Wow

.....that's as bad news as it gets. Goodbye RDX!!....no turbo 4 for me here
Old 01-02-2006, 08:20 AM
Cruisin'

It will be interesting...

You folks with the "it has to be a V6" attitude are nuts... this thing will perform.

Sure, it's Honda first production Turbo, but they are the all-time masters of Turbo-charged engines from their domination of F1 in the late 80's. Additionally, I'm sure there's some Honda tricks for this Turbo engine, just like they did with AWD, as they must have been working on this for a long time (they were studying Turbo engines for production vehicles back in 1991).

So relax and let's see what Honda has in store for us...

Old 01-02-2006, 09:53 AM
Frozen Wannabe Oracle

Cue the drama queens with the "No V6 = No RDX" cries. Personally, after years of lusting after other turbo 4 vehicles, I can't wait to see what Acura can do with a turbo 4 power plant.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:59 AM
6SPDCLS

You guys complain about no "V6" or larger engine, but come on, how many peeps you see that drive an SUV ever TOW anything? Only soccer mom's and rappers all ride around burning gas, emitting toxic shit into the air so that i can breathe that shit when i'm stuck in traffic behind the behemoth SUV.

I'd like to see how smooth the engine is...being a 4 banger turbo charged.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:12 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
I, for one, am very anxious to try out the turbo 4 cylinder engine in the new RDX. I think it may be the ideal solution to the power vs mileage dilemma. The RDX is for my wife who does a lot of city driving - getting V6 power and I4 gas mileage should be just perfect for her. The 4 banger will probably shave a few pounds off the RDX curb weight versus a V6 which should also improve performance.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:28 PM
1st Gear

Well it all sounds good. I am looking to replace my MDX and have been hoping that the RDX will work out for me since I have been very satisfied with the MDX. Once some more pictures are out in a week, I'll know whether it will look ok.

I am looking to get something that gets better MPG than 17/23 and has all the latest features. The Mazda CX7 looks pretty interesting also.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
Originally Posted by kettleone
Well it all sounds good. I am looking to replace my MDX and have been hoping that the RDX will work out for me since I have been very satisfied with the MDX. Once some more pictures are out in a week, I'll know whether it will look ok.

I am looking to get something that gets better MPG than 17/23 and has all the latest features. The Mazda CX7 looks pretty interesting also.
I would expect the interior of the RDX to be head and shoulders above the CX7 - the Mazda's just reek of Ford these days. A buddy of mine has an RX8 and the interior is very cheap looking and is all but falling apart after a year. I would expect the RDX to be at least as nice as your MDX, just a bit smaller and sportier. I may wait to buy my wife an RDX until the new MDX comes out this fall- my gut feeling is that the MDX is going to be too big for our needs, but it should be really loaded up with goodies.
Old 01-02-2006, 02:04 PM
Racer

I say whatever the exterior style the RDX is heading, this should give us some clues how the New MDX will foresee in the future. I say the only thing Honda needs to do is give us more torque...that's it...
Old 01-02-2006, 08:03 PM
Aint Doing Sh*t

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I say the only thing Honda needs to do is give us more torque...that's it...
Old 01-03-2006, 01:14 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by louiswei
Can you post the picture please?

Man if the RDX is really a 4 banger with turbo then bye bye RDX, IS350 here I come...
I drove the IS350 last week, it's nice. The Audi A3 3.2 is at the top of my list if the RDX is a 4 cyl disappointment.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by louiswei
Thank you for these pictures...

Man I have to say that the prototype looks pretty good but damn it, when would Acura/Honda learn that a 4 banger just won't do (even with turbo-charged)
I know what you're talking about. The fact is that some people "buy what it is (V-6), and some people buy what it does" Personally, if the turbo 4 gets the job done, I'll be fine with it.

I don't need or want a 6 cylinder in my S2000 because the 4 cylinder get it done against the competitors 6's.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:06 PM
Racer

I agree, I'll wait to see how the turbo 4 performs: power (based mainly on the almighty butt dyno), smoothness, mileage, etc. before I pass final judgement.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:24 AM
Instructor

Lightbulb In all likelihood....

Originally Posted by Colin
I know what you're talking about. The fact is that some people "buy what it is (V-6), and some people buy what it does" Personally, if the turbo 4 gets the job done, I'll be fine with it.

I don't need or want a 6 cylinder in my S2000 because the 4 cylinder get it done against the competitors 6's.
....the Turbo-4 will not get the job done!

There are some rabid Acura fans on here (not that I don't like Acura products. After all I owned an MDX and a TL) that will take anything that is shoved down their throats (see some of the posts above )

Your S2000 is a very different vehicle. I've driven one several times, and it's definitely a bit noisy, but THAT'S OK BECAUSE IT'S A SPORTS CAR AND IT'S PRIMARY PURPOSE IS PERFORMANCE AND PERFORMANCE ALONE!!...it's also a very small, light vehicle where a 4 cylinder engine can more than "get the job done" (low to midrange torque is not that important in this application)

The RDX OTOH is a "sport-oriented" LUXURY SUV!!...not only that, it's going to be heavy (I will bet anyone anything it will not be under 3700 or so lbs)...and the story doesn't end there. It's going to have that power-sapping SH-AWD that will drain even more power out of the motor....a 4-banger (turbo or whatever) is simply not going to cut it here, if it's going to be highly performance competitive, as well as REFINED, SMOOTH AND QUIET at the same time, worthy of it's luxury ACURA nameplate!!....OTOH, if they're aiming at something like the "lukewarm" third rate performance of the TSX, then it might just "get by" with a turbo four. But if you're to read the above posted article, Acura claims that they're supposedly going after a totally different crowd with their vehicles. A crowd that demands high levels of luxury, performance AND REFINEMENT in their vehicles (in other words people who buy Lexus, BMW, Mercedes etc.).....Who do they think they're fooling?? No one but themselves. Sure many of the same people on here who you see posting will ravenously gulp down the Turbo RDX (the same ones who bought the TSX in droves), but they're seriously kidding themselves if they think the true luxury buyers are going to fall for that .....and that includes me. Besides this, the TSX, UNLIKE THE TL AND RL, is a bottom feeder! So a 4-banger may not have affected sales that much, but it's going to be interesting to see how this "more expensive" SUV sells!!

To conclude, this would've been a nice replacement for my MDX since I'm single and don't need a vehicle that large, but it looks like to get the levels of luxury and refined performance, I'm looking for, I'm simply stuck with a LARGE vehicle!! I will now be looking foward to the redesigned MDX to come out this fall
Old 01-04-2006, 02:32 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by vicpai
Sure many of the same people on here who you see posting will ravenously gulp down the Turbo RDX (the same ones who bought the TSX in droves), but they're seriously kidding themselves if they think the true luxury buyers are going to fall for that
I for one am anxiously awaiting the RDX... but I think it's a stretch to say that I or anyone else is being a fanboy just because we're willing to give Honda the benefit of the doubt, or at least wait until anyone has actually driven the vehicle. Am I going to buy one? I don't know... but I'm definitely going to at least wait until the vehicle is out to make my decision. I also am very happy with my '04 TSX. I guess that you and I are just looking for different things in a vehicle. However, one thing to note is the fact that the TSX has exceeded Honda's original sales estimates (in terms of yearly sales, more than double what was anticipated IIRC), so apparently enough people do like what Honda is doing that we probably won't see them start changing their formula too drastically.

One good option for you to consider (IMO) would be the upcoming infiniti compact SUV, as that's supposedly going to have the VQ35 engine as an option. Personally, I'd like to wait and see what that's going to be like before making my decision, but I'm not sure if I want to wait another year (I think that's supposed to be out in '07 as an '08).
Old 01-04-2006, 02:56 AM
Instructor

Lightbulb And for those clueless people that keep ranting....

.... and propagating the MYTHS about 4 bangers always being more fuel efficient than 6 cylinder engines, and how 6s are gas guzzlers etc. etc., PLEASE GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT

For being a 4-cylinder, the 2006 TSX's EPA numbers are simply SHAMEFUL!!
EPA city: 22
EPA hwy: 31

By comparison, the MUCH LARGER 6-cylinder 2006 Toyota Avalon, which is over 300lbs heavier, is 63bhp more powerful (205bhp vs. 268bhp), and produces a WHOPPING 84lb.ft. more of torque (164 vs. 248) gets the same exact EPA numbers
EPA city: 22
EPA hwy: 31

additionally, the RAV4 V6, which is an SUV with similar horsepower and torque numbers as the Avalon (269bhp/ 246lb.ft.), which is burdened with a 4WD system, much less aerodynamic than a car, and 400lbs. heavier than the TSX gets 21 city and 28 hwy. Intelligent people can do their own math, comparing these numbers with those of the TSX, and come to their own conclusions. I don't need to elaborate any further to prove my point!!.....For those screaming from the mountaintops about how Acura has chosen a 4-banger here for fuel efficiency, lets see what numbers we see in comparison, when the RDX comes out. Then we can talk

if you feel like checking out my FACTS you guys are welcome to visit:

www.fueleconomy.gov

...and it's not like I'm blindly against 4-bangers. They have their place, and are only suitable, and have the so-called "efficiency benefits" in SMALL, LIGHT cars!!....the moment you start putting these in heavy, power sapping and less aerodynamic vehicles, they actually have the opposite effect, and usually give WORSE economy than a 6 in the real world, as my meticulous tests on 2 LA to Las Vegas runs, comparing my 290-horse V8 LS 400 and a VW Passat 1.8T (turbo 4-banger) reveal (a 4-banger will keep revving it's daylights out by shifting in and out of lower gears, while the higher power 6 cruises at a liesurely RPM, in overdrive most of the time): see link below

and here is the excerpt (and link) of my test of the VW 1.8 4cyl TURBO and my LS 400

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ghlight=passat

......but have frequently driven a close friend's VW Passat 1.8T turbo, and I have one word for it: HORRENDOUS!!!!

The gas mileage for a 4-banger SUCKS BIG TIME (slightly worse than my 290bhp 8-cylinder LS 400 on the highway, for cryin out loud , and only slightly better than my LS in city driving!!! (I've given a test comparison we did below).

Besides this, the engine was incredibly UNREFINED (you constantly hear the "whine"), and not only is it very sluggish OFF-THE-LINE, but sounds like the engine is beating itself to death when you accelerate hard. Once you pick up speed it's quite peppy...but that does not do anything for me It's also reasonably quiet at freeway speeds while cruising, but this also does not do anything for me, if it is screaming when accelerating .....NOW YOU KNOW WHY I HATE THE IDEA OF A TURBOCHARGED or NA 4-BANGER. A powertrain like that has no place in an UPSCALE VEHICLE, let alone a high-end Acura SUV which is very likely to tip the scales at 3600-3800lbs!!!

On a recent trip to Las Vegas - 100% highway driving at speeds of 85-95mph most of the time, and occasionally 70-75mph due to traffic, here is the gas mileage we got:

LA to Las Vegas:
2000 LS 400 23.21mpg
2005 VW Passat 1.8T Turbo 21.82mpg

Las Vegas to LA:
2000 LS 400 23.64mpg
2005 VW Passat 1.8T Turbo 22.78mpg

City driving in Las Vegas (around 120 miles):
2000 LS 400 16.61mpg
2005 VW Passat 1.8T Turbo 17.43mpg

Both cars were fueled with 91 Octane Chevron gas per their owner's manuals and all calculations were done by hand (fill tank, # of miles divided by total # of gallons consumed). On the highway the VW was contantly downshifting back and forth revving itself to death to keep up the speeds, especially when it hit grades, whereas the LS 400 barely ever went out of the overdrive 5th gear contantly spinning at a leisurely 2500-2800RPM or so.

This proves my point that I have always repeated again and again that a smaller 4 banger is not always more fuel efficient than a larger more powerful engine. In a 2000lb Toyota Echo it may be, but if the 4-banger is going to lug around a heavy 3800lb RDX, then you can bet your bottom dollar it's simply not going to run as efficiently as a high-torque V6 in the same application......ARE YOU LISTENING HONDA????

Like you said in your post, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they have sensible engineers advising them and will know what's needed in this SUV.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 01-04-2006, 03:15 AM
Instructor

Arrow If that's the case, then I guess...

Originally Posted by jaobrien6
I for one am anxiously awaiting the RDX... but I think it's a stretch to say that I or anyone else is being a fanboy just because we're willing to give Honda the benefit of the doubt, or at least wait until anyone has actually driven the vehicle.
.....I wasn't referring to people such as yourself. I was referring to the ones that are already singing the praises of this turbo 4 banger!!...while I'm willing to give Honda the benefit of the doubt, IMHO, it's going to take something close to a miracle to achieve the smoothness/refinement, low to mid torque and REAL-WORLD fuel economy that VCM-equipped V6 would have the potential to give!!. As difficult as it is, while the other factors might be achieveable, I'm highly skeptical of the smoothness/refinement part!!

Am I going to buy one? I don't know... but I'm definitely going to at least wait until the vehicle is out to make my decision. I also am very happy with my '04 TSX. I guess that you and I are just looking for different things in a vehicle. However, one thing to note is the fact that the TSX has exceeded Honda's original sales estimates (in terms of yearly sales, more than double what was anticipated IIRC), so apparently enough people do like what Honda is doing that we probably won't see them start changing their formula too drastically.
I wasn't suggesting that you, or others, are unhappy with their TSXs. I was just trying to emphasize that the target audience (at least according to Acura's own claim), which supposedly includes me, is very different from that of the TSX!!. In some ways I guess we are looking at different things, but remember this is an Acura (a luxury vehicle), and there are many like me who want to stay in the Acura family, as I do like the way they do their interiors, as well as the fact that no other manufacturer integrates luxury GADGETS as well as they do!!...especially the Nav system is beyond compare. There is nothing out there that comes close. The only and I mean ONLY point of contention here is the ENGINE.

One good option for you to consider (IMO) would be the upcoming infiniti compact SUV, as that's supposedly going to have the VQ35 engine as an option. Personally, I'd like to wait and see what that's going to be like before making my decision, but I'm not sure if I want to wait another year (I think that's supposed to be out in '07 as an '08).
Again, like I've mentioned above, I want to stay with an Acura product (one of the MOST IMPORTANT reasons being the Nav system!!). Besides this, the SH-AWD is very appealing. Just like in the RDX, the redesigned MDX is bound to get it. The only compromise I will have to make is the SIZE (exterior dimensions)...I will not be too happy with this, but for now it's the best compromise for me, considering that I want to stay with an Acura product. Fuel economy which has been cited on here, over and over again by fans of this Turbo-4, as a reason to go with RDX will, IMHO, be a moot point in the real world when compared with a 3.5L or even 3.8L V6 in the MDX, especially if it gets Honda's excellent VCM (variable cylinder management) system!! (see my post on fuel economy comments above!!)
Old 01-04-2006, 04:19 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Vic, You seem to be taking it very personally that Acura didn't account for your needs when designing this vehicle. The sales targets for the car is 36,000 units, IMO pretty low but maybe just right if (big IF) lots of people feel as strongly as you do. I don't think fuel economy will be that great, the S2000 only does 25 in my combined driving, not bad and not great either. I don't know this for a fact, but Acura didnt choose the 4 cylinder for fuel economy. The president of HMC when asked if ther were hybrids in Acura's 3 year plan replied, "no, Acura buyers are not interested in fuel economy"

I'm sure the 4 cyinder is in there for marketing reasons: we can't have it too close to the MDX and the V-6 would steal MDX sales. Acura has been refocusing the brand towards performance (vs. pure luxury), so I don't see having a performance 4 cylinder as a necessary evil. They are really talking up the sport side of the equasion for the RDX so again the engine may be more fitting considering what they want to do with the car. The long stroke K24 is not a real high revver anyway and the balance shafts quell the 2nd order vibratons pretty well.

Anyway, you obviously type faster than I do, so I'm not going to try to match you word for word. I do predict we will sell them all, and probably have waiting lists for the first year. Even if you don't buy one. Aloha!
Old 01-04-2006, 10:57 AM
Racer

Vicpai,

Points taken. I definitely agree with you on a couple of things. For one thing, Acura does indeed do great interiors these days, and that's one reason I really want to end up liking this vehicle. I also agree that a high revving (I assume) turbo-4 just won't be as smooth as a 6 would have been; the question will be whether it's smooth enough. It will definitely be smooth enough for some, and not enough for others, depends on tastes and desires. It might be smooth enough for me, we'll have to see.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:28 AM
Frozen Wannabe Oracle

Using a Turbo 4 will keep the weight down compared to a V6. This will give better handling balance, which this vehicle is about if the use of SH-AWD is any indication. If they had used a V6, it would have been the J30 or J32, both of which make less hp and torque than the K23 turbo is reportedly making. Also, while the K24 in the TSX is not as smooth as a V6, it is far, far from being thrashy and noisy.

The 1.8T is a 6-7 year old design, go drive a car equiped with VW's 2.0T for an excellent interpretation of a modern turbo 4 engine. It pulls like a freight train from just over idle, and sounds great right up to its 7000rpm redline.

Last point: despite all the toys, this is still Acura's entry level SUV. Keep that in mind and check your 4 cylinder bias at the door when you go for a test drive.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:38 AM
has been here awhile

Originally Posted by vybzkartel
Honestly, I don't think that's the RDX. It looks more like the new Santa Fe, to me.
Look at the grille, the rear, the head and tail lights?!?!
I was starting to think I was the only one who noticed this. The spy pictures posted are definitely not of the RDX, but of the Santa Fe, instead. The mirror, headlamp, and tail lamp design all are very much similar to the Santa Fe.

But that's just my
Old 01-04-2006, 12:39 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by SPUDMTN
I was starting to think I was the only one who noticed this. The spy pictures posted are definitely not of the RDX, but of the Santa Fe, instead. The mirror, headlamp, and tail lamp design all are very much similar to the Santa Fe.

But that's just my
It is the Santa Fe. the dead giveaway is the handle on the rear tailgate, as well as the non-Acura shape of the grille in the front.

Old 01-04-2006, 01:04 PM
Racer

Good call on the rear door handle, looks like it is the Santa Fe. I wonder why it's so heavily camo'ed when that vehicle's already been released in Korea and there are pics of it all over the internet.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RDX Spy Photos