https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297958

Feel free to voice your thoughts.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:20 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 02-24-2005, 06:03 PM
Instructor

I have serious doubts about that. every credible source has stated 200-250 hp. and I don't see Honda releasing engine info more than a year in advance
Old 02-25-2005, 09:05 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by Stevens24
I have serious doubts about that. every credible source has stated 200-250 hp. and I don't see Honda releasing engine info more than a year in advance

Honda is great at not leaking info.

But in the past, not leaking information was a way to protect sales of existing models, (RL, TL) There's nothing to protect here, so a calculated media leak is possible to begin stirring interest.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:12 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really hope Honda is not going to put a 2.2L in it. I am hoping for the Accords 3.0L V6 with SH-AWD.
Old 02-25-2005, 12:28 PM
Pro

Well, that puts the pwr between the TSX and TL like Acura said would happen. At this stage in the game a V6 may be out and leaves a bigger engine for the MDX.

So far Volvo is doing well with a turbo in the XC90. A V8 is coming but look at the price point the XC competes in. V8 are still "in" when it comes to SUVs.

I'm sure whatever Honda does will be great. It'll just take some time for Honda fans to embrase a turbo on our shores.
Old 02-25-2005, 02:53 PM
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 72 Posts
Just got April's Motor Trend and they state on page 22:

Honda's Caddy Rival - Based on the next-gen Honda CR-V, the RD-X launches next year with the RL's SHAW and a 260 HP, 2.2 liter turbocharged four making about 260 pound-feet. It'll be the first factory turbocharged from Honda.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:44 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by frainc

Honda's Caddy Rival - Based on the next-gen Honda CR-V, the RD-X launches next year with the RL's SHAW and a 260 HP, 2.2 liter turbocharged four making about 260 pound-feet. It'll be the first factory turbocharged from Honda.

They also said, "It won't be tha last."
Old 02-25-2005, 05:25 PM
1st Gear

Do you guys have any idea what this means if they do put a turbo powerplant in a 4 cylinder form in any new vehicles? That is only the beginning. It is ABOUT TIME honda begins to think about forced induction. I have an 05 RSX-S. I hope to god that RDX carries a K-series engine(it should). I'll swap it into my car and hang on. This is the best news I have ever heard. This is better then when george bush got re-elected!
Old 02-26-2005, 11:18 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vybzkartel
They also said, "It won't be tha last."
hmmmmm....TSX? I bet the 06 TSX is the first to get this engine. 260hp + 260 ft lbs. torque....Add Awd and you could have a Legacy GT, A4, 330Xi killer.

I think the RDX would be really an interesting vehicle with a turbo. Can't wait for more info and speculation.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:35 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by Precision Crafted
Well, that puts the pwr between the TSX and TL like Acura said would happen. At this stage in the game a V6 may be out and leaves a bigger engine for the MDX.

So far Volvo is doing well with a turbo in the XC90. A V8 is coming but look at the price point the XC competes in. V8 are still "in" when it comes to SUVs.

I'm sure whatever Honda does will be great. It'll just take some time for Honda fans to embrase a turbo on our shores.
I'm a rabid Honda fan who is ready to embrace turbos now! If they introduced a turbo engine in the TSX, I'd start looking for a way to get out of my current TSX and into a turbo one right away.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:52 PM
04 TL 6MT NAVI ABP/Q

Originally Posted by hondapwr
Do you guys have any idea what this means if they do put a turbo powerplant in a 4 cylinder form in any new vehicles? That is only the beginning. It is ABOUT TIME honda begins to think about forced induction. I have an 05 RSX-S. I hope to god that RDX carries a K-series engine(it should). I'll swap it into my car and hang on. This is the best news I have ever heard. This is better then when george bush got re-elected!

Hahaha, people will be buying junkers, crashing into stopped or parked RDX's in the rear end, and then watching to see which junk yard ends up with the car once the Insurance says its a total loss. Just so they can get the Factory Turbo K Series.

I dont know about this Turbo 4 though. Still seems a bit flakey. It really makes me wonder why if Honda was gonna release a Turbo Anything, why the hell they would start with a Small SUV rather than a Civic or RSX where the market is more open. I'm thinking they will stick with the same engine as the TSX personally.
Old 03-01-2005, 10:31 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Casper42
Hahaha, people will be buying junkers, crashing into stopped or parked RDX's in the rear end, and then watching to see which junk yard ends up with the car once the Insurance says its a total loss. Just so they can get the Factory Turbo K Series.

I dont know about this Turbo 4 though. Still seems a bit flakey. It really makes me wonder why if Honda was gonna release a Turbo Anything, why the hell they would start with a Small SUV rather than a Civic or RSX where the market is more open. I'm thinking they will stick with the same engine as the TSX personally.

The RSX is dead! The Civic market may not want a turbo. Most of the new Civic owners I see are family people of look as if a turbo is not in there plans other wise they would have bought something else. This seemed to be the case when you had Turbo Dodge Shadows and Turbo Sunbirds. Granted those turbos were horrible at best but the Civic still out sold them.

Also, a turbo in the Acura family seems to make more sense at this point.
Old 03-02-2005, 01:05 AM
Instructor

Thumbs up You and I seem to be on the same page!!

Originally Posted by DEI99662
I really hope Honda is not going to put a 2.2L in it. I am hoping for the Accords 3.0L V6 with SH-AWD.
From all the voicing of opinions I see that there are more people wanting a V6 than anything else. I used to own a '03 MDX, so I'm a frequent poster at acuramdx.org. Many people on there are considering the RDX and most wish/want/hope for a V6. Hopefully Honda sees the light. If they do, I will vote with my pocketbook the moment it hits the streets. If it doesn't come with a V6, then this vehicle will be struck off my list!!......if it does come with a V6, this is bound to be an awesome vehicle....a fabulous SMALLER alternative to all the big/large SUVs out there, WITHOUT sacrificing any luxury, comfort, performance etc.
Old 03-02-2005, 01:14 AM
Instructor

Unhappy They seem to be making that statement....

Originally Posted by frainc

.....quite confidently, especially when they're saying "it'll be the first factory turbocharged engine from Honda" ......well, I'm still keeping my fingers crossed, but it's not looking too good .....could it be the reason for all this secrecy??....there's got to be some reason for all this secrecy about the powerplant!! .....Looks like the pieces of the puzzle are falling in place!..reaally not looking good!! .......here I come NEXT-GENERATION MDX!! (looks like myself -and many others- will have to live with a LARGE SUV just to get a V6 )
Old 03-02-2005, 08:58 AM
Pro

At this point, who knows how the rumored turbo will perform. Many discounted the TSX for being a 4 banger only while others offered a 6 cylinder and so far it has been a success.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:04 AM
Frozen Wannabe Oracle

*IF* Honda does put a turbo 4 into the RDX (I don't really think they will, but you never know,) it will be the smoothest application of a turbo possible with today's technology. For reference, look at the praise that the diesel engine in the Euro Accord gets; it's widely viewed as being one of, if not the most gas-like diesel engine on the market. Heck, even the VTEC cross over in Honda's non-sport models is pretty smooth. Honda is one of the best at making technology transparent to the end user.

Regardless, writing off a vehicle based solely on its number of cylinders is ignorant at best.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:01 PM
I'm a llama :(

Originally Posted by Professor Gascan
*IF* Honda does put a turbo 4 into the RDX (I don't really think they will, but you never know,) it will be the smoothest application of a turbo possible with today's technology. For reference, look at the praise that the diesel engine in the Euro Accord gets; it's widely viewed as being one of, if not the most gas-like diesel engine on the market. Heck, even the VTEC cross over in Honda's non-sport models is pretty smooth. Honda is one of the best at making technology transparent to the end user.

Regardless, writing off a vehicle based solely on its number of cylinders is ignorant at best.

Well f'n said.

A factory turbo car from Honda in the US is a big step forward and will benefit the whole line-up as they start turboing more cars. It's Honda's way to always one-up the competition and the RDX will bring lots of good things.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:26 AM
Instructor

Well...I am hoping for a 2.2L Turbo...it a 4 banger and 2200cc displacement...it should save a lot of gas...it has 260hp/torque...it just as good as a V6...It also a great second car IMHO.
Old 03-05-2005, 03:46 AM
Instructor

Lightbulb While I agree to some degree with your statements, I don't think you get my point!!

*IF* Honda does put a turbo 4 into the RDX (I don't really think they will, but you never know,) it will be the smoothest application of a turbo possible with today's technology.
AGREED, while it may be the smoothest application of a turbo possible with today's technology, it will still not be as smooth and refined as they could make a V6!!.....it's a 4-banger which is intrinsically prone to vibration and has an inherent "thrashy" sound when pressed hard!!!....balance shafts and all, they will still not be able to get a 4-banger to sing the "silky tune" of a V6!!....if just adding a turbo to a 4 banger is the solution to everything, why doesn't Mercedes, BMW and others, and even Acura and Lexus, simply put one of these in every one of their vehicles including the S500 .......cause they know that it isn't just about power, but refinement as well (and there is simply no substitute to cylinder count. The more number of cylinders, the smoother and more refined the engine) .....That said, I wouldn't mind (and might even be pretty thrilled) if they offered a "turbo-6" ......just not a 4-banger!!

For reference, look at the praise that the diesel engine in the Euro Accord gets; it's widely viewed as being one of, if not the most gas-like diesel engine on the market. Heck, even the VTEC cross over in Honda's non-sport models is pretty smooth. Honda is one of the best at making technology transparent to the end user.
True, but they're comparing it to other 4 cylinder diesels, and the 4 cylinder gas Accord!!

For some refinement is just as important as power, and it is just plain and simple. More cylinders = smoother, "silkier" engine (of course, assuming similar technology for both)...I rest my case!!
Old 03-05-2005, 03:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

People were saying the exact same thing about the TSX and it's "4-Banger" until it hit the streets...then they were singing the praises of refinement. What they continue to harp on now is the power. Now, let's say they turbo that engine. It keeps the refinement and gives them the power they want.

Just a thought.
Old 03-05-2005, 06:42 PM
Instructor

Lightbulb The "refinement" they're talking about....

Originally Posted by AcuraFan
People were saying the exact same thing about the TSX and it's "4-Banger" until it hit the streets...then they were singing the praises of refinement. What they continue to harp on now is the power. Now, let's say they turbo that engine. It keeps the refinement and gives them the power they want.

Just a thought.
....is the relative lack of noise or vibration when CRUISING. The other thing, and incidentally where most of the car mags comments are focused on, is the PRECISION with which the vehicle HANDLES and operates (steering crispness, balance, agility, and overall handling poise) which I totally agree with.

What I am talking about is engine noise and vibration, when agressively accelerating and overall agressive driving. The 4-banger DEFINITELY makes itself known when doing this!!!....I've driven the TSX several times to be able to opine on this (and at one point had even considered buying one)

a 4 cylinder is DEFINITELY not in the same league as a "6", just as a "6" will not be in the same league as an "8".

.....TURBO is a whole different story...like many have pointed out above, advanced technology CAN bring refinement to a turbocharged engine.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:13 PM
Pro

If the turbo is true, I think Honda is "testing" the waters. If the RDX is a sucess and the engine is praised then they may expand to other models.

The TSX is a great car, but I too was tired of a 4 banger especially in the summer with the A/C on. I could feel the drag. The drag is there with the TL but not as bad. Now if a turbo were an option then things would have been different. With that said, the turbo may be more effective with a manual tranny instead of an auto. The other thing I'd like to see with this new motor is a 6 speed auto.
Old 03-06-2005, 06:54 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

I have confidence that this isn't true based on the (American) Oracle's previous statements. Sounds like a great engine/drivetrain for the TSX though

But this is exactly what many vehicle purchasers do... particulary luxury buyers.