RDX reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 08:25 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RDX reliability?

Hey guys I'm new to the forums, But I plan on buying a RDX and was wondering if there any common problems I should be aware of? I believe acuras alone should have a pretty good build quality.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:20 PM
Drifting

Received 280 Likes on 220 Posts
So far, so good with mine. I have a 2007 Acura RDX with 120+ miles and it's still pushing on! Love the car.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:26 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Were you looking for 07-09 model or 10-12 RDX? The +10 have updated styling and fwd or sh-awd models. The RDX and pretty much any Acura get more and more reliable higher the model year. I have an 08 tech coming up on 120,000 miles. The issues I've had that may or may not be common are:

- brake booster sensor replaced (out of pocket)
- i-Vtec solenoid replaced (powertrain warranty)
- OEM battery failure after 3 years (out of pocket, didn't want another OEM battery under warranty, zero issues with interstate battery)
- driver door lock failure (out of pocket)
- driver sun visor replaced (out of pocket)
- replaced driver side door speaker (basic warranty)
- replaced bad relay causing battery drain (out of pocket)
- replaced alternator after 100,000 miles (out of pocket)
- replaced A/C clutch (Acura 100,000 extended warranty on A/C)

Unexpected out of pocket is about $750 in the 4 years I've owned her. Everything else was covered by the basic, powertrain or extended warranties. It has been routine maint after that (tires, brakes, wipers, fluid changes, spark plugs, etc..).

I haven't heard a lot of issues with engine, turbo, 5AT, sh-awd, HIDs, electrical, power steering, paint or suspension.

I think the 07 RDX base doesn't have handsfree bluetooth and a downgraded Maint minder info (M.I.D.) display unless you upgrade to the tech model. Handsfree bluetooth and M.I.D. became standard on all models after 08. You just need to decide on body style, color combo, tech level and enjoy.
The following users liked this post:
starlitskies (11-05-2015)
Old 02-17-2015, 03:18 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
i have an 08...so far so good just ticked over 100k and factory extended part warranty to fix the ac compressor was done thats it.

07's sometimes speaker problems.

you ding the side of door with seatbelt a bunch.

sometimes center armrest wears out if you use it a ton.

stock carpet mats retain water bad from my experience and get stinky get some weathertechs :-D
Old 02-17-2015, 09:16 AM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I recently (Black Friday) purchased an '09 tech with 140k on the clock.

It was more miles than I was looking for, but was too clean to pass up (looks like a 40k mile car!).

I received service records from the previous owner, and the only non scheduled repair was an AC charge.

I just got back from an 800 mile road trip in hills and mountains (Big Bend National Park), where it preformed amazingly well. It's wasn't as fun as my roadster (Honda s2000), but still pretty enjoyable for an SUV.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:19 AM
Racer

Forgot to mention my only issue; I have at least two speakers that need to be replaced.

As mentioned, it's a common problem.

For simplicity, I'll just go back stock (can be purchased online for around $20/per speaker).

I may even grab a couple extras and stash in a closet for the future.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:51 AM
RDX faN BoY

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i own a 07 tech with 84k on it.. i love it.. up here in new england with 4 feet of snow and minus temps it runs flawless. In the snow its crazy... by far the best 4wd i've driven in the snow.. easy to whip the ass end out if you want to have a little fun also. As with any turbo car you just need to stay on top of oil changes with good quality oil and honda filters.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:45 PM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
Just had to replace the starter on my 07 SH AWD at 90K miles. I've owned it for 20k miles. I'm not going to lie, it was a pain in the ass to get to, but it saved me a lot of money I'm sure by doing it myself. Also had a brakelight go out, but that's its! The wife loves her car and if she happy that's great. One thing I did not expect was the frequency of the oil change, which is around every 3K miles. My TL can go from 7k to 10k miles before the MID pops up
Old 02-26-2015, 03:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 204 Posts
Odd that yours triggers so often...mine averages around 7k miles. Do you do a ton of short trips in stop-and-go traffic?
Old 02-26-2015, 03:38 PM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomtwtwtw
Odd that yours triggers so often...mine averages around 7k miles. Do you do a ton of short trips in stop-and-go traffic?

You know what you are right. The wife mainly uses it to pick up my daughter from school, which is about a 4 mile drive round trip, all in a residential area. And on the weekend we might go out to a restaurant or club or something but that's all. No long driving more than 20 minutes. My TL on the other hand, I drive it 172.4 miles round trip every day I work (4 days out of the week)
Old 03-08-2015, 09:55 AM
FLETCH

Received 146 Likes on 108 Posts
start taking the rdx 1 day a week.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:03 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Where do you find the speakers so cheap?
Originally Posted by Jdrum1
Forgot to mention my only issue; I have at least two speakers that need to be replaced.

As mentioned, it's a common problem.

For simplicity, I'll just go back stock (can be purchased online for around $20/per speaker).

I may even grab a couple extras and stash in a closet for the future.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:12 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by trent_ky
Where do you find the speakers so cheap?
All the online Acura parts dealers want around $25.

Acura Parts @ AcuraAutomotiveParts.org - Genuine Acura OEM Parts from Acura Carland

OEM Acura RDX 2009 SPEAKER parts
Old 03-09-2015, 01:45 PM
mrgold35

I forgot to add I replaced the center console plastic leather with real leather for about $100 a few years ago. I just replaced the front/rear struts/shocks and front/rear endlinks when I installed the Progress RSB from the Acurazine group buy. Much improved ride with new parts with eibach springs.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:05 PM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Overall I know the RDX reliability is very good. As for my mom's RDX, not so much. Not much was done under warranty, we paid out of pocket unless I note otherwise.

-Brake booster issue (not yet replaced)
-Front cupholder broke
-Rear seat folding mechanism broke
-Replaced SRS Wiring harness (warranty)
-Replaced SRS Wiring harness second time
-Center console light broke/fell out
-Rear dome light out
-Rear taillight out
-Front DRL out
-Front differential seals replaced
-Right side axle seal replaced
-A/C Compressor clutch and Coil replaced (despite longer warranty, this was out of pocket as well)
-Power steering rack and pump replaced
-Resurfaced brake rotors (this doesn't really count, but it was done fairly early)
-Rear armrest loose

There are always exceptions to the rule, huh? I know that most RDXs are very reliable, and the RDX is consumer reports' most reliable luxury suv for the time (1G).
Old 03-23-2015, 11:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
overall reliability is ok but less than how reliable say a honda accord or crv is. so far at 100k miles and:

- Replaced alternator (out of pocket)
- Replaced front headlight (under warranty)
- Rear driver side shock is busted but haven't replaced yet
- A/C has gonr bad not sure what it is though
- washer fluid pump sometimes doesn't work
- battery changed twice
Old 03-23-2015, 12:08 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by pickler
overall reliability is ok but less than how reliable say a honda accord or crv is. so far at 100k miles and:

- Replaced alternator (out of pocket)
- Replaced front headlight (under warranty)
- Rear driver side shock is busted but haven't replaced yet
- A/C has gonr bad not sure what it is though
- washer fluid pump sometimes doesn't work
- battery changed twice
To be fair, your list should only read;

-Alternator
-A/C
-Washer pump

The rest is just regular maintenance and consumables.

I'd be surprised if a modern day CR-V would fair much better.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 204 Posts
To your point, my brother's '99 CR-V with nearly 300k miles has been more reliable than his '08 CR-V with half the mileage. The '08, on top of some minor-yet-unexpected repairs, has a power steering leak which requires a full rack replacement to fix. (~$1500)
Old 03-26-2015, 06:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Jdrum1
To be fair, your list should only read;

-Alternator
-A/C
-Washer pump

The rest is just regular maintenance and consumables.

I'd be surprised if a modern day CR-V would fair much better.
My family has owned several acuras and hondas and none were on their third battery only after 60k miles. The battery also likes to die only after 10min of music / gps with engine off. it's extremely weak for this car. Same thing goes for the washer fluid pump.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:32 PM
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 234 Posts
2007 with 150k miles.

Replaced all the door speakers a few years ago.

Replaced the struts, dampers, springs and suspension links at 130k.

Replaced the fake leather armrest trim with quality leather.

Put in a quality battery.

By far the most reliable of the 43 cars I've owned.
jcollichio (01-01-2023)
Old 05-02-2015, 09:34 PM
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts
I have a 07 RDX just rolled over 305k. Eight years of ownership and total cost of mechanical repairs $890 (AC Stator and clutch). 3 windshields, 4 sets of tires, 4 brake pad sets, original rotors, 3 batteries. No oil use, no other issues. Just bought my 2015 TLX, my 10th HMC vehicle. Logged over 1.6 million miles in 38 years. Ran my 1992 Legend 458k, loved that car.
Regular scheduled maintenance is key, some luck, some good driving habits, the car should go 500k. I drive my RDX 700 miles per week, I go 85-90mph where safe on open interstate. Michelins are my only tire. Car even has original serpentine belt.
The following 3 users liked this post by CaptainJackRDW:
Deathshead (05-27-2015), jcollichio (01-01-2023), MR1 (11-30-2015)
Old 05-03-2015, 05:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
I really like the size, features, and driving dynamics of the rdx, however I am also very worried about the reliability. My last 3 vehicles have been unreliable German SUV's (used of course) and for the first time thought I would try something japanese.

Toyota and lexus SUV's are too boring, Infiniti and nissan SUV's too ugly, Subaru still uses archaic technology, Honda puts me to sleep, so naturally that left acura.

I am looking for a 2007-2009 RDX with tech. Anything I should particularly avoid or watch out for? I am very very nervous about transmission issues as honda has not been the greatest in the past, and lastly I am worried about the Turbo. I have never owned a turbo before and I realize that it is not much different only that maintenance needs to be done on time, I just have this creeping fear that at around 60k miles the turbo fails and I am left with a hefty $3000 bill.

I appreciate the posts on someone having theirs for 305k, but I am just wondering if I am missing anything?

Thank you
Old 05-03-2015, 05:56 PM
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 581 Posts
^

Honda puts you to sleep but Acura doesn't ?
Interesting
Old 05-03-2015, 10:24 PM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
I am looking for a 2007-2009 RDX with tech. Anything I should particularly avoid or watch out for? I am very very nervous about transmission issues as honda has not been the greatest in the past, and lastly I am worried about the Turbo. I have never owned a turbo before and I realize that it is not much different only that maintenance needs to be done on time, I just have this creeping fear that at around 60k miles the turbo fails and I am left with a hefty $3000 bill.

I appreciate the posts on someone having theirs for 305k, but I am just wondering if I am missing anything?

Thank you
If you are very very worried and nervous about this car, maybe it is not right for you.

The 1st gen RDX may have somewhat of a German feel when driving but certainly boasts Japanese reliability. Remember you have a vocal crowd here, and a lot of car enthusiasts that probably do not baby their cars.

When I bought my 08 about 9 months ago, I was really surprised at the number of high mileage units on the market (150-200k mi).
Old 05-04-2015, 02:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 2012wagon
^

Honda puts you to sleep but Acura doesn't ?
Interesting
Thanks for your super helpful input! I don't know where I would have been without your reply!

Originally Posted by Kaputnik
If you are very very worried and nervous about this car, maybe it is not right for you.

The 1st gen RDX may have somewhat of a German feel when driving but certainly boasts Japanese reliability. Remember you have a vocal crowd here, and a lot of car enthusiasts that probably do not baby their cars.

When I bought my 08 about 9 months ago, I was really surprised at the number of high mileage units on the market (150-200k mi).
See that is EXACTLY what I want, something boasting a german driving feel with a Japanese reliability factor. I would say that most of the stuff on here said to be repairs would be a joke compared to the things people talk about on German forums like new engines and transmissions and diffs...etc.

I really want to get the RDX, I also know they have near bullet proof reliability (it is a Honda product after all). It is just that small "what if?". Having been burned the last 3 times in a row, I am at the point where I really still want something fun to drive, but still know it will be reliable. Maybe I am completely overthinking it and blocking myself from fully appreciating the RDX
Thank you for your input.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:12 AM
Pro

Thanks for your super helpful input! I don't know where I would have been without your reply!

See that is EXACTLY what I want, something boasting a german driving feel with a Japanese reliability factor. I would say that most of the stuff on here said to be repairs would be a joke compared to the things people talk about on German forums like new engines and transmissions and diffs...etc.

I really want to get the RDX, I also know they have near bullet proof reliability (it is a Honda product after all). It is just that small "what if?". Having been burned the last 3 times in a row, I am at the point where I really still want something fun to drive, but still know it will be reliable. Maybe I am completely overthinking it and blocking myself from fully appreciating the RDX
Thank you for your input.

That said, there are plenty of 2011-12's out there that you can get as a CPO which should put your mind at ease.

But I see you are looking for a 2007-2009. I was the same because I just could not stand the front end styling of the 2010-2012. No offense anyone.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:33 AM
mrgold35

Most of the time with Honda/Acura, the vehicle really gets rock solid after its 3rd year or MMC (which ever comes first). Most of the issues in the early model years are usually technology related like reflashing transmission, stereo speakers, door actuators, bluetooth modules, navi updates, OEM battery, condensation in HID housing, etc... Very few to problems with show stopping major components like engine, transmission, sh-awd, turbo, exhaust or emissions.

I normally purchase my Honda/Acura's after the MMC; but, I was just not feeling the new Acura front/rear bumpers on the +10. At the time I was ready to purchase 2010, Hondata and the color combo I wanted was only available for the 07-08 model years. It would be very difficult to find a used RDX with the factory warranty still left. Existing Extended Acura Care warranties are transferable to new owners. Purchasing an Acura Care Warranty (assuming you can with a 12 RDX) would be a waste of money on average for that model.

Finding a RDX with a single or maybe a second owner, complete service records from Acura dealership, and close to stock as possible would be ideal.
Old 05-04-2015, 03:13 PM
Suzuka Master

That said, there are plenty of 2011-12's out there that you can get as a CPO which should put your mind at ease.

But I see you are looking for a 2007-2009. I was the same because I just could not stand the front end styling of the 2010-2012. No offense anyone.
To be honest, I don't like the front of the 2010-2012 RDX no offense to anyone else, so I would prefer to stick with the older ones.

Originally Posted by mrgold35
Most of the time with Honda/Acura, the vehicle really gets rock solid after its 3rd year or MMC (which ever comes first). Most of the issues in the early model years are usually technology related like reflashing transmission, stereo speakers, door actuators, bluetooth modules, navi updates, OEM battery, condensation in HID housing, etc... Very few to problems with show stopping major components like engine, transmission, sh-awd, turbo, exhaust or emissions.

I normally purchase my Honda/Acura's after the MMC; but, I was just not feeling the new Acura front/rear bumpers on the +10. At the time I was ready to purchase 2010, Hondata and the color combo I wanted was only available for the 07-08 model years. It would be very difficult to find a used RDX with the factory warranty still left. Existing Extended Acura Care warranties are transferable to new owners. Purchasing an Acura Care Warranty (assuming you can with a 12 RDX) would be a waste of money on average for that model.

Finding a RDX with a single or maybe a second owner, complete service records from Acura dealership, and close to stock as possible would be ideal.
For me, minor reflashes or other minor issues is fine, it is big ticket show stopping items that worry me. With German vehicles, very few repairs are below the 4 digit value but I don't think I should have that worry with the RDX.

I want to get a 2007 RDX because the same exact RDX as a 2008-2009 model year is about 4k-8k more and I don't see myself paying that much in repairs on a well kept 07 model. I don't always believe in avoiding the first year of a vehicle, I think getting a well kept model is more important. There is a current one that I believe is one owner with full records from the Acura dealership that I will be looking at.

Thank you all
Old 05-04-2015, 03:49 PM
mrgold35

The only difference (I can remember) between 07 and 08-09 are:

New 08 items:
- bluetooth phone with base model (not 100% sure bluetooth available on 07 base)
- M.I.D. with base model
- auto dim rear view mirror
- memory seat for driver and it adjusts side mirrors
- touch softer ride compared to 07 (still stiff compared to any other CUV out there)

New 09 Items
- Power passenger seat
- expanded Acuralink traffic

The 07-08 also have Moroccan Red Pearl available; but, not in 09. Other than that, you just have to pick color combo, mileage, and tech level.
RDX10 (05-04-2015)
Old 05-04-2015, 04:00 PM
Pro

There is a current one that I believe is one owner with full records from the Acura dealership that I will be looking at.

Thank you all
Finally last September, with some patience, I was able to find something similar. A 2 owner 08 RDX with 45k miles. The second owner bought it as a CPO and then added the Acura Extended Care warranty. It still had a few weeks of warranty when I bought it last year, but most importantly, the previous owner made sure every little thing was addressed under warranty.
Old 05-04-2015, 05:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mrgold35
The only difference (I can remember) between 07 and 08-09 are:

New 08 items:
- bluetooth phone with base model (not 100% sure bluetooth available on 07 base)
- M.I.D. with base model
- auto dim rear view mirror
- memory seat for driver and it adjusts side mirrors
- touch softer ride compared to 07 (still stiff compared to any other CUV out there)

New 09 Items
- Power passenger seat
- expanded Acuralink traffic

The 07-08 also have Moroccan Red Pearl available; but, not in 09. Other than that, you just have to pick color combo, mileage, and tech level.
Thank you so much for the breakdown for me. I want the tech package for sure so I would have bluetooth and the MID, memory seats don't matter because I am the only driver and I want the stiffer suspension setup for sure.

I will however really miss the autodimming rear view mirror, but it costs like max $200 and that includes the homelink and compass.

I also love the Moroccan red pearl color on taupe or black combo so seems to me like 2007 would be the ideal year.

Finally last September, with some patience, I was able to find something similar. A 2 owner 08 RDX with 45k miles. The second owner bought it as a CPO and then added the Acura Extended Care warranty. It still had a few weeks of warranty when I bought it last year, but most importantly, the previous owner made sure every little thing was addressed under warranty.
That sounds awesome! I hope to find something similar!
Old 06-25-2015, 06:00 PM
5th Gear

Have an '09 Tech with 78K. Only issues were sound system related, all speakers at some point had blown. All were replaced under warranty. From a mechanical and reliability perspective has been a great vehicle.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:33 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 with almost 90k miles

Other than normal maintenance on consumables:

-Steering rack under warranty
-Both visors (out of pocket)
-Drive armrest (not done)
-Center console armrest (not done)
-AC compressor (just died today and out of extended warranty by 7 mos)
-Alternator (will replace while compressor being replaced as precaution)

Wife understands I am to get another car once I approach 120k.
Old 10-03-2015, 07:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 694 Likes on 536 Posts
2008 with 120K miles. Problems so far:
1. bad CV joint $200
2. Leak in Air Tube $150
3. Transmission Leak $500 at the cover
4. A/C failed relay and coil, total around $1000(dealer prices)

other than that its a great car
Old 10-05-2015, 12:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
I have a 2008 tech model (~55k miles so far) and the only repair I've had to do so far was replace the passenger door speaker. All maintenance is followed via the MID. If I were buying one of these used, I would get at least the 2008 model due to the upgrades. As for the cosmetic looks of the MMC, I like how they did the rear, but I think the front of the pre-MMC still looks better. The early iterations of the beak just look bad. I think Acura has finally figured out the beak as I think all the recent cars looks quite nice with it.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:45 AM
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
What reliability?

2011 RDX FWD

68k mi L axle joint failed. Replaced under warranty

88k mi L & R axle joints failed. No OEM parts available, they are working on a revision. Acura wants to install aftermarket axles at a cost to me of $307

Do not buy a '10-'12 RDX FWD
Old 11-02-2015, 08:18 AM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Consumer's reports just came out and gave the 2011 RDX complete red circles for reliability. What other information do you have to support the axle problems for a number of owners besides yourself? Thanks
Old 11-05-2015, 04:02 PM
10th Gear

what a great thread for a newbie owner of a 1st gen....guess I'll buy those speakers ahead of time :P

Thank you all, and I'm curious if the OP bought one. heh.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:35 AM
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by hues10
Consumer's reports just came out and gave the 2011 RDX complete red circles for reliability. What other information do you have to support the axle problems for a number of owners besides yourself? Thanks

To be clear, I'm refering to our '11 FWD.

Told by ACR case mgr, and told by serv mgr at dealer that this is a widespread problem and they are working on a revision to supercede the old axles that are prone to early failure. There are no o/e axles, new or rebuilt available at this time.

What does a red circle mean in terms of reliability?
Old 11-22-2015, 09:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by starlitskies
what a great thread for a newbie owner of a 1st gen....guess I'll buy those speakers ahead of time :P

Thank you all, and I'm curious if the OP bought one. heh.
Don't buy any part ahead of time. I've still got some RDX parts in the garage and I haven't owned one for over a year. It was replaced with a Sport Wagon and I couldn't be happier. No, it's not a fucking Jetta!

Hmm, seems like I've seen a dozen of these threads over the years.
NO vehicle is perfecly reliable. If OP has already decided to buy 1G RDX, then a pat on the back is all they need.

Quick Reply: RDX reliability?