RDX Owners - What don't you like

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 11:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
RDX Owners - What don't you like

I'm seriously considering an RDX. I know when I bought my last car, it took a little while to discover the little nits that I didn't like or would change if I could (i.e. unlit steering wheel controls). I probalby won't be talked out of it but I'd like to know if any RDX owners have come up with such a list. So far, I have:
  • Manual passenger seat
  • No driver's seat/settings memory
  • 5 speed trans. (vs 6 or more)
  • Auto day/nite mirror optional
  • No LED tail lights

Again, no real deal breakers but would like to learn from other's experience.

Thanks.

LL
Old 11-14-2006, 11:42 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's about it so far. The 5 speed trans is really not that big of deal, but it may have helped in fuel economy a little bit. The driver seat/setting memory is more of a convenience thing. My wife and I will deal w/ spending 30 seconds to adjust everything when we switch which is not much different than when we had her old car, so I guess it's not that big of a deal either.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:19 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's not really something I don't like, but continues to be a matter of adjustment...a trunk release from inside the car. My last car had this and every time I get home from shopping, I look for the trunk release that isn't there.

Even better would be a trunk release from the remote
Old 11-14-2006, 12:31 PM
Carbon Bronze RDX

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jhwu
That's about it so far. The 5 speed trans is really not that big of deal, but it may have helped in fuel economy a little bit.
Agreed. The number of transmission gears is becoming a marketing tool more than anything (Lexus with 8...). The engine is more than capable of generating "go" as it is, so I don't really see a huge need for closer ratios. They could have even made 5th gear taller to allow for freeway cruising at a lower RPM.

I would have liked driver memory, but what alternative vehicle has it? BMW for $10k more?

Little things that could be better:
  • the center console's side hinge allows for access to things like coin and pen holders, but is a pain when you have a passenger and would prefer them to rummage around in there to pull out CDs or whatnot.

• despite the seatbacks being among the best I have sat in, the bottoms could be a bit longer/deeper, to give more support.

• the steering column could have more tilt/telescope range.

• I think the hood "ripples" look odd when viewed from the driver's seat.

• the glove box is pretty small relative to the car size. Acura probably thought the dual box approach, as in CRV and RAV4, would break-up the asthetic of the interior.

• speaking of, the grey textured plastic trim across the dash is kinda cheap looking. would real aluminum, or even fake aluminum, or just a nice soft-touch plastic, too much to ask for?

Cheers,
Phil
Old 11-14-2006, 12:37 PM
Carbon Bronze RDX

Originally Posted by Digits
It's not really something I don't like, but continues to be a matter of adjustment...a trunk release from inside the car. My last car had this and every time I get home from shopping, I look for the trunk release that isn't there.

Even better would be a trunk release from the remote

Yes! I missed that in my post, but the lack of trunk opener in the car is a bit odd. And our A4 had a trunk release on the remote, though it didn't open all the way, just cracked it. Still, I feel like I've seen commercials for mini-vans where you could open the sliding doors and rear hatch via remote.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:40 PM
Instructor

Question regarding last 2 posts.How do you open the trunk if there is
no release inside or on the remote?
Old 11-14-2006, 12:49 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by buckeye#1
Question regarding last 2 posts.How do you open the trunk if there is
no release inside or on the remote?
The release "button" is on the trunk door handle itself [above the license plate, near the rearview camera] - grap the trunk door handle, press it with your fingers and lift up the trunk door.
I think this is common setup for most SUVs/vans.

Chinh
Old 11-14-2006, 01:02 PM
07 RDX - Royal Blue/Ebony

I agree with your existing list. To that add:

Roof rack (or at least the side rails) should be standard, not a pricey accessory.

Rear seats take two steps to fold flat, and the tumbled seat bottom fills up the rear footwell space, which could otherwise hold small items.

Relatively short rear cargo area compared to other similar vehicles whether seats are folded or not (this is a hatchback more than a utility vehicle).

Potentially low MPG (low to mid teens) if you do heavy/agressive city driving.

None of these are major deal killers for me, but the cargo issues to remove some "utility" I wish the vehicle had.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:05 PM
Intermediate

1) The lack of a 6 speed manual transmission option. With a turbo engine should be considered.

2) Rear passenger a/c control

3) DVD option for rear passengers.

4) A thru seat option for access to the rear trunk.

5) V6 engine w/turbo.

6) Front Spoiler included, without it car looks a little bland when viewing directly from the front.

Overall though the car is still a great value, despite missing these options and the ones listed above.

JD
Old 11-14-2006, 01:15 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by c_hunter
I agree with your existing list. To that add:

Roof rack (or at least the side rails) should be standard, not a pricey accessory.

Rear seats take two steps to fold flat, and the tumbled seat bottom fills up the rear footwell space, which could otherwise hold small items.

Relatively short rear cargo area compared to other similar vehicles whether seats are folded or not (this is a hatchback more than a utility vehicle).

Potentially low MPG (low to mid teens) if you do heavy/agressive city driving.

None of these are major deal killers for me, but the cargo issues to remove some "utility" I wish the vehicle had.
just my prefernce, but I like it way better that the RDX doesn't come with a roof rack. Much prefer the look without it.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:34 PM
Advanced

I agree, I like the look of the car without the roofrack. I never used the one on my prior car. I also think the car looks better without the front spoiler. So I'm glad both of these are options.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:33 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by mvwood
just my prefernce, but I like it way better that the RDX doesn't come with a roof rack. Much prefer the look without it.
IMO, it doesn't matter whether the car looks better with or without the roof rack... the roof rack is a functional accessory, not an asthetic one. I want the roof rack because I want the functionality of a roof rack.

I can understand that people might not need it though, and the car does look cleaner without it... so I'd be ok with it not being standard, if the installation was a little cleaner (jeez, at least make it so the dealer doesn't have to hacksaw your trim pieces... come on, acura).
Old 11-14-2006, 04:43 PM
Carbon Bronze RDX

Agreed. Not sure why most competitors can have a normal seat fold down (and credit here to the CX-7 for the handy remote release control in the trunk area) while the RDX and CRV require you to fold down the seat bottom to get a flat floor... are the seat cushions that much lower in the others?

I didn't think the CX-7 was much deeper, but the RAV4 was. It's still got much space than say an Audi A3.

We purchased the rear cargo organizer (rectangle with flip-out dividers to create 3 sections if you want) that clips into the same place as the cargo net. With it in place, we can still lie a rather large folding aluminum grocery cart flat between the organizer and back seat (laying down, it's over 30" wide and 20" deep). This cart had to go in at an angle to fit in our A4 trunk.

Cheers,
Phil
Old 11-14-2006, 04:48 PM
Carbon Bronze RDX

Originally Posted by chinhman
The release "button" is on the trunk door handle itself [above the license plate, near the rearview camera] - grap the trunk door handle, press it with your fingers and lift up the trunk door.
I think this is common setup for most SUVs/vans.

Chinh

the only issue with it is the whole car has to be unlocked to open the trunk. sounds trivial, but if you are driving alone and unlock the driver's door by moving the "switch" next to the door handle, rather than the "backwards" power lock button near the window controls, the car isn't unlocked, so when you get to the back you have to unlock the car with the remote and then press the button on the trunk.

-Phil
Old 11-14-2006, 06:26 PM
Intermediate

RDX Missing Features...

Hi All,

Just picked up my new RDX today with the tech package and I love it overall !!

But, since you are asking what I don't like about it.. here is my list.

1. Memory Seats for the Driver
2. Electric Seats for the Passenger
3. Auto Day/Night dimming on the side mirrors (I got the optional rearview day/night)
4. 91 Octane Gas - Wish I could use 87 Octane.
5. Back Seats don't recline
6. Cargo net is an option - should be standard !!
7. Acura Hitch is unavailable or is recalled - according to the dealer
8. Handsfree Bluetooth can't call using your phonebook on your phone, has to use the address book in the RDX.

Well, so far that is what I am somewhat disappointed.

However.... I still am extremely happy with my purchase, especially the drivetrain, boy does this puppy haul with little or no lag !! What a blast to drive !!

MGS.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:19 PM
Sporty X type

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I just LOVE my RDX!

That being said, the subject is what's wrong, (or missing)

The only things I wish was on here:
1. Auto Day/Night mirror! (never had a Luxury vehicle that DIDN'T have this!)
2. Auto tilt up/down stering wheel. Easier to get in & out.
3. Memory seats. Would be nice.

I liked the sajestion for an interior / seperate release / button to unlatch the hatch.

Other than these, I LOVE my RDX!!
Old 11-16-2006, 08:48 AM
Acuras since 1988

Cool What you don't like

I love my new RDX, I think it handles great, has plenty of speed, and is comfortable. I'm getting 20 MPG on avg after 3 Tanks. I would change:
Trunk release definitely, and when you go to close the trunk there isn't anything to grab on the outside, so your hand gets dirty off the cars back. Center storage needs to be better thought out, it has a a cavernous storage area, thats not arranged very well. Somewhere to throw your trash and coffee cups would be nice, too , no car mfgs seem to think of that. The steering wheel controls for
cruise etc aren't lit well at night, and are hard to see, Controls for wipers, lights are over complicated if you ask me. But I do think its a nice car so far.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:20 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Stevenm
I love my new RDX, I think it handles great, has plenty of speed, and is comfortable. I'm getting 20 MPG on avg after 3 Tanks. I would change:
Trunk release definitely, and when you go to close the trunk there isn't anything to grab on the outside, so your hand gets dirty off the cars back. Center storage needs to be better thought out, it has a a cavernous storage area, thats not arranged very well. Somewhere to throw your trash and coffee cups would be nice, too , no car mfgs seem to think of that. The steering wheel controls for
cruise etc aren't lit well at night, and are hard to see, Controls for wipers, lights are over complicated if you ask me. But I do think its a nice car so far.
there is a hundle on the inside right side of the trunk to use for closing - doesn't get it all the way but keeps your hands relatively clean
Old 11-16-2006, 09:34 AM

In recent years, my wife and I have started using the door-mounted bins (down at the bottom of the door) for trash. Not big enough for cups/cans (unless you can smash them) but great for most other crap. It turns out to be a good use for the bins -- they were always collecting junk anyhow, now it's official. I clean them out every couple of weeks.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:13 AM
Carbon Bronze RDX

Originally Posted by mvwood
there is a hundle on the inside right side of the trunk to use for closing - doesn't get it all the way but keeps your hands relatively clean
using that interior grab handle, we get the hatch to close without having to touch it from the outside.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:14 PM
Cruisin'

- much prefer manual transmission
- need more or at least better conceived storage space (no good place for sunglasses or wallet, end up using the cup holder so far)
- more light inside when you open the doors at night
- electronic passenger seat controls, memory seats
- better mileage, bigger gas tank
- reclining back seats
- DVD rear seat entertainment option (would have got this)
Overall very pleased.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by b1207a
- need more or at least better conceived storage space (no good place for sunglasses or wallet, end up using the cup holder so far)
What do you keep in the covered compartments in front of the door handles? Thats where I keep my sunglasses.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:38 PM
Advanced

In recent years, my wife and I have started using the door-mounted bins (down at the bottom of the door) for trash. Not big enough for cups/cans (unless you can smash them) but great for most other crap. It turns out to be a good use for the bins -- they were always collecting junk anyhow, now it's official. I clean them out every couple of weeks.
I put a little bag - I get them in the baby department at Walmart - they are for diapers - around the shifter. It's the perfert size to collect all the little stuff - incluiding a pop can, but not too big to get in the way.

It actually hangs down on the drivers size, but it's behind my leg and doesn't get in my way.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:44 PM
Acuras since 1988

Cool Dislikes

Thanks for the ideas, i'll have to try pulling down harder on the inside handle to close the trunk. Few times I tried it it didn't close all the way. Keyless entry would be nice.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:45 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by sasair
What do you keep in the covered compartments in front of the door handles? Thats where I keep my sunglasses.
That's where I keep my badge for work, dental floss, SPF lip stuff - all that little stuff!

Sun glasses go on a round gripper thing on the dash - off set a bit so I can see the in dash screen at the base of the windshield.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:53 PM
Racer

* automatic trans, the shifters are not the same for me. It would be nice to have a manual as an option.
* HFL is limited.
* Music link sucks
Old 11-19-2006, 12:40 AM
4th Gear

First of all, I love my purchase... I have no regrets so far, but then again, it's only been a week! But here are my wishes:

1. Memory seats (at least on the driver side). My girlfriend drives the car alot, so it would be perfect if we didn't have to waste a minute each time we switch getting the seat perfect again.

2. Navigation's usability took a step back. My friend got the TL last year and I like the fact it was touchscreen (especially the keyboard). I find it more difficult with this "dial" implementation to enter data. I know I can use voice commands, but that takes way too long.

3. Bluetooth is limited in functionality. I was also checking out the Audi A3, and the dealer said I can download my phone's address book to the car's address book using Bluetooth. He may have been lying about that feature, but it sure does sound nice to have! I also don't like that the caller id doesn't show the name of the person (only the phone #).

4. I don't like how the back seat's cup holder is integrated into the arm rest. If there's three passengers in the back, they basically have no cup holder to use.

5. My biggest pet peeve of it all... is the gas mileage! They advertise 19/22, but I'm actually averaging 15 mpg. Top that off w/ the requirement to use 91 octane gas and synthetic oil, it's not the cheapest of cars to maintain. I wouldn't mind it too much if they advertised 15, but I hate feeling like I was lied to.

Alot of people complain about storage space, but I don't want the car to be any bigger. If you want something bigger, get the MDX. And I like the fact they didn't sacrifice leg room in the rear seats to create more trunk space.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:31 AM
Photographer

memory seating and the passenger seat should be powered. i mean come on, why only one side???
Old 11-19-2006, 08:46 AM

I wish the vehicle was about 6" longer for more usable cargo space without having to go up to the enormous MDX. Another feature along those lines would have been a sliding rear seat, to let you choose between rear legroom or cargo room. Though I don't care for the Subaru Tribeca, it has the sliding rear seat so you can have limo-sized passenger space -or- a bigger cargo space, or some compromise between the two. That makes a lot of sense to me.

Another thing that could be improved on the RDX is the folding rear seats. Plenty of similar vehicles have seatbacks that fold flat in one step, without having to tumble the seat bottom first (which then eats up cargo space itself).
Old 11-19-2006, 06:17 PM
Instructor

For the on-line survey by JD Power, the thing I mentioned in the survey as one biggest disappointment is the rear hatch release mechanism (ie. lack of internal release, and no closing assist).
Old 11-20-2006, 08:11 AM
Acuras since 1988

I agree, you can't open or close the hatch without getting your hands all dirty.
Acura could've done better there. If you use the inside handle, you have to really slam it hard.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:41 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Stevenm
I agree, you can't open or close the hatch without getting your hands all dirty.
Acura could've done better there. If you use the inside handle, you have to really slam it hard.
I pull down on the handle and close it everytime with little effort.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:48 AM
Instructor

I pull down on the handle and close it everytime with little effort.
My wife, who drives the RDX as much as I do, is only 5 feet tall. She uses more than a little effort.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:11 AM
4th Gear

I love my RDX, and am very glad I bought the tech package. That said, this is what I wish were different:

1. Memory settings for drivers' seat
2. Full auto for passenger as well as driver seat
3. The armrest storage cavity is large - almost too large, and very hard to organize items in a space configured the way it is - I had to find some bins to stack in there. It's great to drop a laptop briefcase in (a small one), but where to put sunglasses, work ID badge, etc?

I also had the windows tinted much darker than they come from the factory. Still, extremely happy - a hell of a fun car to drive!
Old 11-20-2006, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by dsjolley
3. The armrest storage cavity is large - almost too large, and very hard to organize items in a space configured the way it is - I had to find some bins to stack in there. It's great to drop a laptop briefcase in (a small one), but where to put sunglasses, work ID badge, etc?

I thought the folding shelves inside the center console would accomodate smaller stuff. In fact I like the idea -- put less used crap on the bottom, then flip up the shelves for smaller, more frequently used stuff on top. Seems like a great idea to me.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:29 PM
9th Gear

On the storage topic.... I like the size of the unit but I find it inconvenient that it only opens on the driver's side. I wish they would have done something like the MDX where there are two flaps so both the driver and passenger can access it easily.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:18 PM
Intermediate

Forgot the last thing that is little annoying the key fob is too large and not as usefull as a seperate key and remote keychain. During the winter, I like to leave the car running when going to get coffee or other things. I would like to have a seperate key and remote door unlocker/locker instead of having to use the valet key.

I would imagine someone from Acura is reading our comments and hopefully will address some of these issues, but overall the car is a blast to drive and a great value.

JD
Old 11-20-2006, 11:15 PM
rdxsteverino

I love this vehicle, but ...

... It's a bit annoying that you can't release the hatch internally. I often find myself having to use the fob to unlock the doors twice before I can release the hatch. Also would like a better place to store my sunglasses. I recognize these have been noted in prior posts. Minor issues compared to the whole package.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rdxsteverino
... It's a bit annoying that you can't release the hatch internally. I often find myself having to use the fob to unlock the doors twice before I can release the hatch. Also would like a better place to store my sunglasses. I recognize these have been noted in prior posts. Minor issues compared to the whole package.
What do you put in the storage compartment by the door handle? That's my sunglasses storage.

I set mine to unlock all doors when I set the vehicle in park, so the tailgate is always unlocked when I get out. I like how the tailgate has just a button and it opens very easily. I suppose it would be a pretty easy mod to add a button for the tailgate release around the driver somewhere.

I hate the key fob. It just isn't a good design. Since Acura is obviously going that way with all the new vehicles, I hope they at least come up with an optional remote that is smaller and a separate master key. the remote part of the switchblade key is actually pretty small when disassembled.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:47 PM
Photographer

Originally Posted by rdxsteverino
aha yes! there is no place for them. i mean come on, on my accord i had a sunglass holder thingy. i had to buy a case for my oakleys.

Quick Reply: RDX Owners - What don't you like