Old 07-04-2005, 05:13 PM
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 72 Posts
Test for Robb.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:33 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 98AccordEx
I wonder how close it will be to how it actually turns out - remember the RDX sketch from Motortrend??:

Motor Trend was attempting to come up with a sketch based off of the RD-X concept of what the production version would look like.

Of course they were wrong as we can see the RD-X Concept and the new RD-X concept have nothing in common except for the name.

My favorite Motor Trend prediction was of the Accord. I do wish they were dead on with that one! Their Camary (current model) was a dead ringer from the side profile.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:11 AM
Racer

We might have to 'cross-off' the Mazda 'Crossport' from list of RDX competitors. Mazda apparently went boxy with it according to spy photos.

They claim it's just a disguise but who knows.

Link for article at TheCarConnection
http://www.thecarconnection.com/Enth...178.A8856.html
Old 07-05-2005, 11:13 AM
Pro

We might have to 'cross-off' the Mazda 'Crossport' from list of RDX competitors. Mazda apparently went boxy with it according to spy photos.

Um, the tail lights look like those of the current MPV (or whatever they call their "Mini" van). I do not think it is the new Crosssport.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yeah, this is a minivan...look at the sliding rear door.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:54 AM
Pro

Ok, so after looking at the carconnection.com they have to say that the pic is of the new Crossport made to look like Mazda's MPV. I am guessing they are correct because the MPV replacement is not ready yet.

With all this said, I have to agree with the previous statement that the Crossport isn't looking too impressive. It is indeed "squarish" looking in a GM sort of way. I would expect better from Mazda and maybe what we see is an equipment and platform for the new SUV. If the overall shape is correct I doubt the CR-V, RAV-4, Chevy, and FoMoCo will loose any sleep.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:33 PM
Racer

It's gross and disappointing, whatever it is ... Cross off the List
Old 07-08-2005, 12:57 PM
Advanced

what happened tp the oracle?
Old 07-08-2005, 12:57 PM
Advanced

what happened to the oracle?
Old 07-08-2005, 01:05 PM
Pro

My question is what sort of tranny will it offer. M-B will use a 7 spd and most if not all of the competition will use 6. Will Acura be the lone player with a 5?
Old 07-08-2005, 01:07 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by bdt980
what happened to the oracle?

Now that is is good question. I thought I read a while back that he was no longer apart of this message board.

I do recall him stating the the TSX would get some new tranny once the RDX appears but I cannot remember.

He did have a wealth of info to share.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:03 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Precision Crafted
My question is what sort of tranny will it offer. M-B will use a 7 spd and most if not all of the competition will use 6. Will Acura be the lone player with a 5?
I would think that if HMC had a 6 or 7 speed auto it would have used it for the RL. It's more likely to come out with the updated MDX where it could really be useful to increase MPG.
I would guess the 5spd auto/manual will be enough. Acura still will have a technology edge due to SH-AWD. More gears doesn't necessarily help 0-60 times but may help in tested slalom speeds where the RDX will already have an advantage thanks to SH-AWD. The other benefit of more gears is gas mileage but again the others are already playing catch-up to HMC/Acura.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:10 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Precision Crafted
Now that is is good question. I thought I read a while back that he was no longer apart of this message board.

I do recall him stating the the TSX would get some new tranny once the RDX appears but I cannot remember.

He did have a wealth of info to share.
Oracle was great when he was around. I thought he got discouraged by all the 'post-whores' on the TSX forums. Too bad he provided some good info.
If I remember correctly, he said Acura was developing a 6-speed 'clutchless manual' for the RDX and TSX. It was along the lines of the Audi double clutch SMG but HMC had there own design/techniques. HMC engineers are brilliant so who knows. However I don't remember if he was sure it would make it in for its release.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:18 PM
Racer

I remember when he posted that rumor a long time ago... Man I would *LOVE* it if the RDX came with a DSG style transimission. That would be sweet.

John
Old 07-10-2005, 06:29 PM
Racer

The TSX forum had a long, long (12-15 page) thread on the upcoming RDX and Oracle had provided some great info but that discussion was lost in the 'Acurazine' re-organization many months ago. Too bad really, that thread had some advanced info but in "hint" format. I believe he "hinted" about SH-AWD on the RDX more than six months before the RL even came out. I wish we had that thread.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:32 AM
Pro

I would think that if HMC had a 6 or 7 speed auto it would have used it for the RL. It's more likely to come out with the updated MDX where it could really be useful to increase MPG.
I would guess the 5spd auto/manual will be enough. Acura still will have a technology edge due to SH-AWD. More gears doesn't necessarily help 0-60 times but may help in tested slalom speeds where the RDX will already have an advantage thanks to SH-AWD. The other benefit of more gears is gas mileage but again the others are already playing catch-up to HMC/Acura.

Yes but while five is great, more would be better. When I test drove the new 3 and GS. Their gear changes were faster do to the more closely spaced gears. Having the exta gear when doing a double down shift when passing proved rewarding from my point of view. A tripple down shift was also rewarding from a speed point of view. To help keep the price of the RL down using the MDX's tranny was the best idea but I believe it was for cost reasons since Acura was already giving a lot for the money.

If anything, AHMC needs to make sure the bugs are fixed with the trannies.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:38 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by jaobrien6
I remember when he posted that rumor a long time ago... Man I would *LOVE* it if the RDX came with a DSG style transimission. That would be sweet.

John

Now that would be awsome! From what I read the DSG is a sweet tranny. Most if not all the auto mags like it. Given the type of car the TSX is, that would futher seperate it from a possible 6sp Accord sedan. As for the RDX, then it'll just give it a more sporty character.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:39 AM
Racer

CrossGolf delayed and will now debut alongside RDX?

New update has this coming out in early 2006.
The raised ride height has been designed to offer extra ground clearance. Under the skin, the new SUV features a re-engineered version of the Golf's 4MOTION all-wheel-drive system, which will also appear on the upcoming A3 Allroad from VW's sister firm, Audi.

Inside, the CrossGolf gets the same cabin as the Golf Plus, with three rear seats that fold and slide independently of each other. Pricing and specification details for the Golf Plus range have yet to be announced, but the soft-roader is set to make its showroom debut in 2006. It will be equipped with transversely mounted engines delivering up to 250 horsepower.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Enth...178.A8753.html
Another Update from Autoweek:
http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102910
Volkswagen won’t reveal its Golf-based small sport/utility vehicle as planned next month at the Frankfurt motor show, due to concerns the new five-door may require a major overhaul before it begins production.

Known internally under the name Beduin, a concept debut of the inexpensive four-wheel-drive model was scheduled for Frankfurt, with production starting in late 2007. But those plans are on hold until the program can meet production cost targets set by new VW chairman Wolfgang Bernhard. VW is now aiming to debut the Beduin at the Detroit show in January.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:48 AM
Racer

Edmunds has Infinity offering up some competition for the RDX

What Edmunds.com Says: Infiniti is planning a crossover smaller and more affordable than its current FX35.

What We Know: Infiniti will begin building a series of entry-level crossovers starting in 2007, priced and positioned below the FX35 and FX45 in its lineup. Like the FX35 and FX45, the Infiniti CX25 and CX35 will be built on Nissan's FM, front-midengine platform. Designed to compete with the likes of BMW's X3 and Volkswagen's upcoming small SUV, the CX is expected to fall into the $30-$35K price category. The base CX25 models will use 2.5-liter, inline four-cylinder engines while the CX35 will get Nissan's 3.5-liter V6. There might be a supercharged four-cylinder available on the CX series as well.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:52 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Subaru = awkward SUV

Subaru = Losing it

They should stick to 4wd performance Rally cars with STI mods.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:22 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by xenonhid
Subaru = Losing it

They should stick to 4wd performance Rally cars with STI mods.
They are making a push to move up market and be considered a luxury brand to compete against the likes of BMW and Mercedes. So in the long run, their performance Rally cars may, MAY compete against AMG and M's power for power but not much else.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:06 AM
Racer

Update on Mazda Cross-Sport aka CX-7

Newer and unfortunately much better looking photo of the Mazda CX-7 on AutoWeek.
http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=103012

They claim they have confirmation of a 2.3 4cyl turbo as the engine choice. I'm sure many will make similar comparison between the RDX and CX-7 as they did between the TSX and Mazda 6.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:26 AM
Racer

That pic of the CX-7 looks much, much more like the concept did... looks like it might be back on my shopping list again.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:29 AM
Racer

Newer and unfortunately much better looking photo of the Mazda CX-7 on AutoWeek.
http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=103012

They claim they have confirmation of a 2.3 4cyl turbo as the engine choice. I'm sure many will make similar comparison between the RDX and CX-7 as they did between the TSX and Mazda 6.
Awesome!
Old 08-19-2005, 12:46 PM
Pro

Well so far the side profile is just like the concept. the front end will differ but probably not by much.

Mazda is on a role however style wise the RDX is a luxury SUV with SH-AWD. Dispite what Consumer Reports has to say, others have said they can "feel" the drivetrian at work going around curves.

Now just imagine a SUV that can take the apexes like a champ! I can see the title now, "Worlds Best Handling SUV! The New Acura RDX"
Old 08-19-2005, 03:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

I wonder if that's the same engine as the MazdaSpeed Mazda6. If I remember right, that's a turbo I4 runnin' for about 270hp.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:50 AM
Racer

More pics of the CX-7

Old 08-26-2005, 11:27 AM
Racer

Wow, when's that supposed to launch again?
I gotta say it looks really good.

I've put off getting the second car until around this time next year, so maybe we can up the pot to include this.

Sweet
Old 08-26-2005, 11:40 AM
Pro

The new CX-7 does in deed look good. I like the Mazda family intergration in the tail light design (from what we can see of it).

Now it boils down to driving dynmics if people are going to chose it over the new RDX.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:36 PM
Racer

From edmunds.com

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=107039

These are the latest pictures of the 2007 Mazda CX-7 crossover vehicle, caught out in the open while testing in Death Valley, California. The CX-7 will be joining Mazda's lineup toward the end of 2006 as the company's first true crossover vehicle, slotting just above the Mazda Tribute. The CX-7 is the production version of the Mazda MX-Crossport concept which debuted at the 2005 Detroit Auto Show.

In terms of size, the 2007 CX-7 will be considerably larger than the Mazda Tribute and more luxurious to boot. It will be built on the Mazda 6 platform, which it will share with other such crossovers as the Lincoln Aviator and the upcoming Ford Edge. The Mazda 6 platform will allow the CX-7 to have the capability of both front- and all-wheel drive.

Some rumors have suggested that the CX-7 will be powered by a 2.3-liter turbo engine, but the dual exhaust pipes on the prototype would seem to indicate at least a V6 under the hood. We suspect that it will use the same 3.0-liter engine used in the Mazda 6 sedan, although more power might be needed to move a vehicle of this size.

It's likely that at least this first generation of the CX-7 will be built in Japan in quantities of about 30,000-40,000 a year.
I'm not impressed by the "considerably larger than the Mazda Tribute" comment.

John
Old 08-30-2005, 12:46 PM
Pro

From edmunds.com

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=107039

I'm not impressed by the "considerably larger than the Mazda Tribute" comment.

John
Do you think it'll be closer in size to the Pilot or MDX.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:57 PM
Racer

That's what it sounds like to me, based on that comment. But I guess we'll have to wait and see what considerably larger really means. It's probably off my shopping list if it's that big, 'cause I don't really need that much space, and it probably won't be as good a handler as I'm hoping the RDX will be if it's that big.

If the RDX fulfills the promise of a smaller, nimble, quick SUV... I'm sold (if I can afford it. )
Old 08-30-2005, 01:31 PM
Racer

That's what it sounds like to me, based on that comment. But I guess we'll have to wait and see what considerably larger really means. It's probably off my shopping list if it's that big, 'cause I don't really need that much space, and it probably won't be as good a handler as I'm hoping the RDX will be if it's that big.

If the RDX fulfills the promise of a smaller, nimble, quick SUV... I'm sold (if I can afford it. )
Yeah I agree, problem is no one can seem to agree on the size of the RDX ... the Pilot and MDX are too much car for me, so I want something along the lines of the RAV or CRV, so the small Infiniti, BMW X3 etc, looks to be the front runner if the RDX is massive too.

Wait and see I suppose, is all we can do.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

To me, it looks like (from the pics) that it'll be a little lower than but otherwise about the same size as the Murano.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:36 PM
Pro

I'm guessing that it'll be smaller then the MDX. Since it will use SH-AWD and since Acura has had time to see the system perform on post producation modles (RL and Inspire) then I'm guessing the RDX will be more nimble the the CX-7.

Since the CRV was a big as a Rodeo/ Passport then I would guess that the RDX will be about the size of a Rodeo if that is not too big for anyone.
Old 09-03-2005, 03:16 PM
Intermediate

Delayed Release Date

A salesman at the local Acrua dealer said he heard a couple of weeks ago that the RDX release date has been moved back to the Fall of 2006. I can wait until spring, but may not till next Fall. Is Fall 2006 the consensus? ... 9/03/05

B Nemec
Old 09-05-2005, 09:28 AM
Instructor

Anyone considering the new RAV4?

http://www.autospies.com/article/ind...articleId=5264

Anyone thinking about the RAV4?
Old 09-05-2005, 04:06 PM
Racer

Maybe, it looks *much* nicer than the current gen. If it does have a V6 option, it might be on my shopping list. I think the interior looks pretty good, too. The old one was too small, I think, but the new one's supposed to be noticeably bigger. Hopefully more like the size of the CRV (and what I assume will be the size of the RDX).
Old 09-06-2005, 08:47 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by finishline
Definitely ... I've been waiting to see these shots of it.
I think we're pretty much looking for the best value in a car/suv that size ... so my shopping list is growing

Going to be a fun process though.

In my expereince however, once the process actually starts, it's easy enough to eliminate some of the contenders.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:48 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by marakbai
Definitely ... I've been waiting to see these shots of it.
I think we're pretty much looking for the best value in a car/suv that size ... so my shopping list is growing

Going to be a fun process though.

In my expereince however, once the process actually starts, it's easy enough to eliminate some of the contenders.
More speculation on the RAV4 from Car & Driver...
http://www.caranddriver.com/article....ticle_id=10047

The fourth-generation RAV4 is larger and more powerful than its predecessors. The smallest of Toyota�s cadre of SUVs offers three rows of seating for the first time and will likely be offered in a hybrid version. Rumor has it that the 3.5-liter V-6 from the recently introduced Lexus IS350 will be offered which should be good for at least 300

with possibility of 300 HP it sounds like a more performance oriented Lexus version should be expected, possible called the 'IX300'? Hopefully they changed the styling from these pictures of the RAV4, I liked the look of the old one better although it didn't offer enough room.

Quick Reply: RDX Competition?