RDX Competition?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 12:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nodoze2004
That Mercedes is NICE LOOKING!!! The one thing I give to the competitors is the fact that they offer customers a choice. Acura just force feeds a single power plant to it's customers. When designing new models it simply tunes these same aging power plants as well.

Acura needs an 8 Cylinder engine to be taken seriously in the sport/luxury segment......too bad it will never happen.

In regards to the post that requested a type R TL, I would say only in AWD and ony with 350+ horspower and a significant reduction in curb weight......but yes I do agree it is needed. Too bad Acura prefers to sit on the sidelines of the performance war (I hear there won't even be an NSX replacement).

Well, I can understand if they don't replace the NSX. A redesigned NSX would be a great halo car...but it is a bit superfluous if you ask me. They need a coupe/vert in the $30K range...not the $20K and $90K ranges.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:15 AM
VTEC HoooA

Originally Posted by AcuraFan
Well, I can understand if they don't replace the NSX. A redesigned NSX would be a great halo car...but it is a bit superfluous if you ask me. They need a coupe/vert in the $30K range...not the $20K and $90K ranges.
I don't understand why they won't replace the NSX!? Word initially was that Acura WAS going to bring out a replacement, and move it into the 55-65k range. That would make perfect sense to me. What is going to happen now is that Infiniti will release the true skyline (GTR) here in the US powered by a twin electric turbos and clocking in north of 450 horsepower. This thing is going to be a monster, and once again Acura does nothing. So the performance oriented customer has to look elsewhere....a real shame if you ask me. Look at Infiniti's product line and you can't help but be impressed at the sheer breadth of the offerings, multiple powertrains (including an 8 cylinder), multiple drivetrains (predominantly RWD, but also AWD), etc etc.

Honda's response....the Ridgeline (YAAAAWN). How much R&D money was wasted on that thing!??

The closer I look at Honda, the more I find I don't like (and I have been a loyal customer for MANY years). They simply don't understand the U.S. performance/luxury buyer. The sales/service process at Acura is nothing more than an upscale building with Honda personnel.

If you have not done so, walk into a lexus, BMW, Mercedes, and/or Infiniti dealership.....it is a TOTALLY different experience.

Old 04-26-2005, 09:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

I don't understand why they won't replace the NSX!? Word initially was that Acura WAS going to bring out a replacement, and move it into the 55-65k range. That would make perfect sense to me. What is going to happen now is that Infiniti will release the true skyline (GTR) here in the US powered by a twin electric turbos and clocking in north of 450 horsepower. This thing is going to be a monster, and once again Acura does nothing. So the performance oriented customer has to look elsewhere....a real shame if you ask me. Look at Infiniti's product line and you can't help but be impressed at the sheer breadth of the offerings, multiple powertrains (including an 8 cylinder), multiple drivetrains (predominantly RWD, but also AWD), etc etc.

Honda's response....the Ridgeline (YAAAAWN). How much R&D money was wasted on that thing!??

The closer I look at Honda, the more I find I don't like (and I have been a loyal customer for MANY years). They simply don't understand the U.S. performance/luxury buyer. The sales/service process at Acura is nothing more than an upscale building with Honda personnel.

If you have not done so, walk into a lexus, BMW, Mercedes, and/or Infiniti dealership.....it is a TOTALLY different experience.

Well, I like the idea of a lower priced sports car. I wouldn't mind seeing a $55K NSX replacement. Especially if it's mid-engine. That would be sweet. But I still want to see a $30K rwd competition for the G35 Coupe (especially because I'm looking to buy one this summer and would much rather buy Acura).

But I don't think the Infiniti line is all that much healthier than the Acura line. Let's use sales numbers to justify it. They sell far more FWD TLs than they sell RWD/AWD G35s. I think Acura has a good thing going. They have the best balance of sport/luxury on the market. Sure, you can buy a V8 powered M45 but to me that's just a big muscle car. The RL is refined and classy. (IMO)

For me the jury is still out on the Ridgeline. I haven't driven one. And the critics don't seem to want to take sides yet. It's a "wait and see" for pretty much everyone. If it fails they will bash it, if it succeeds they will praise it. Failure or success, I think it's the mark of trucks of the future. You don't need a brutish truck to go the Home Depot or carry an ATV. They're laying the foundation for a new niche. Now Honda just has to work on the mileage.

I do think Acura understands the performance luxury buyer. Lexus has the luxury down (with little performance). Infiniti has the performance down (with little luxury). And Acura has the performance luxury down (they handle both pretty well). From the sales numbers I've seen lately, it's working...Acura is clicking with a good number of buyers.

I was in BMW, Mercedes, and Maserati dealerships last night and wasn't terribly impressed with their service over Acura. It wasn't noticably better.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:21 AM
Pro

As far as dealership experience goes that all depends on the dealership IMO. Here in Wichita Schofield Auto Group sells M-B, Jag, and Porsche along with Acuras so you get treated the same buying a 50k RL as you would a 75k S-Class. They point is they want you to come back. Plus some M-B customers have cross shopped Acuras and ended up buying the Acura. Right next door they sell Lexus and cross shop occurs.

It is easy of Nissan to bring over the monster called Skyline as it is already in existance. What does Honda have? Nothing. If they are to have something they will have to creat it and that takes time and MONEY. I cannot say if Honda will choose to address that issue. The TL is doing well based on value for the dollar. Honda knows this and they also know that the car has reached its limits with FWD. SH-AWD is coming. Honda also knows that performance is somewhat lacking. This is why a Hybrid performance modle is in the works. Which model will that be? My guess is the TL considering it is their bread and butter car.

Sporty two doors are not too profitable and never have been. The mistake Acura made was mass producing the CL. They should have learned from the Legend Coupe. Make only a few. If you recall one could easily get a Legend sedan but coupes were hard to come by.

I agree it would be nice if Acura were to have different engines to choose from yet what different engines are there. In V6's we have the J30A 240hp (reported 250 at the crank), J32A 270hp (hp reduced on purpose), and J35A (300hp). As for i4's we have the 2.4 160 and 200hp. I would not put the RSX's motor in anything other then where it is at. I will not count the NSX's 3.0 and 3.2 as an auto TL has more Hp then the auto NSX. Plus the 3.2 in the NSX is heavier then the 3.2 in the TL.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:57 PM
Racer

From the June 2005 Motor Trend:

"Infinity will join the BMW X3-fighter fray for the 2008 model year with a smaller V6 and four-cylinder counterpart to it's FX35/45 crossover. Named CX25, for the 2.5-liter four-cylinder version that'll be the volume seller in Europe, and CX35, for the hotter 3.5 liter V6 version expected to take most sales in the US. The CX will share many of the FX's bold styling cues. It'll be built on a shortened next-generation FM front mid-engined platform. The versatile FM underpins FX35/45, M35/45, G35, Nissan 350z, and the next Skyline GT-R. "

Engines:
CX25: VQ25DE 210 HP/197 LB.FT
CX35: VQ35DE 280 HP/270 LB.FT

Old 05-03-2005, 11:22 AM
Racer

HOLY ... now if only they could get the interior to look classy!
I went into the FX at the Auto Show and was not impressed at all ...

But Hey more competition the better ...
Old 05-03-2005, 11:34 AM
Racer

Add the updated Freelander to the list of competitors

Add the updated Freelander to the list of competitors. Auto Week has an update on the Freelanders plans:
larger V6
better safety equip
more american market styling
more luxury

due in 2007

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102295
Old 05-09-2005, 04:09 PM
Racer

Mazda SportWagen coming Spring 2006

As a possible spoiler to the RDX launch, Mazda is launching the MX-Crossport at the same time as the RDX will debut. I'm sure they will be compared while on the Auto Show circuit.

Autoweek article:
http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102332
Old 05-14-2005, 02:00 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 98AccordEx

As a possible spoiler to the RDX launch, Mazda is launching the MX-Crossport at the same time as the RDX will debut. I'm sure they will be compared while on the Auto Show circuit.

Autoweek article:
Looked really cool at the AutoShow ..

TSX - Mazda6
RDX - Crossport

What next Mazda?
Old 05-16-2005, 03:54 PM
Pro

John Mendle is from Mazda. With that said, a lot of products were already in the pipe line. I look forward to seeing some exciting designs from Acura.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:35 AM
Racer

Mazda Crossport to be named CX-7

Autoweek article:
In Mazda’s new naming conventions, crossover utes will carry the CX moniker. Mazda says the production Mazda CX-7 will carry many of the design cues of the concept and will be built solely at the automaker's facility in Hiroshima, Japan.

Autoweek article:
http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102461

Old 05-26-2005, 03:01 PM
Pro

One of the biggest reasons, Lux car companies have gone alpha-numeric or just alpha is to draw more attention to the company so that owners will not mention the model name but the brand name.

This was Acura's reason for dropping names. I believe Caddy felt the same way.

I guess Mazda feels that too many people don't know of their name. To their credit, their current line up is NICE looking and sporty to drive.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:41 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
CNN Article

Mazda to Roll Out New CrossOver Company says the production version of the MX-Crossport SUV is critical to grow N. American sales.

May 25, 2005; Posted: 10:06 a.m. EDT (1406 GMT)
The new Mazda CX-7, which combines SUV with sports car, will launch in 2006.
NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - A production version of the Mazda MX-Crossport concept vehicle introduced at the Detroit auto show in January will be launched in 2006, the automaker said Wednesday, adding that it will be named the Mazda CX-7.

The new vehicle will be built in Japan, according to Mazda. The company describes the vehicle's style as a combination of its RX-8 sports car with the packaging of a sport-utility vehicle.

"Our goal was to design a crossover that transcends the existing categories of SUV and crossovers and steps in to the realm of sports car," chief designer Koizumi said in a statement.

The concept featured a multi-use information display and entertainment system that has several driving support functions, including vehicle diagnosis, safety instructions, blind spot monitoring, a satellite navigation system and emergency information, Mazda said.

"The addition of the CX-7 to the Mazda lineup is a critical step forward for us in terms of our ability to grow Mazda's business in North America," said Jim O'Sullivan, president and CEO of Mazda's North American operations, in a statement.

Mazda MX-Crossport photos and features:
Old 05-27-2005, 08:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TSX69
What the hell is that thing in the center? Some sort of nav?
Old 05-27-2005, 08:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Precision Crafted
One of the biggest reasons, Lux car companies have gone alpha-numeric or just alpha is to draw more attention to the company so that owners will not mention the model name but the brand name.

This was Acura's reason for dropping names. I believe Caddy felt the same way.

I guess Mazda feels that too many people don't know of their name. To their credit, their current line up is NICE looking and sporty to drive.
Well, I've never heard it put that way. Generally, we get the excuse that they're trying to be more like the European lux companies...that's why they do it...but that's always seemed kinda weak.
Old 05-27-2005, 09:23 AM
Pro

Well, I've never heard it put that way. Generally, we get the excuse that they're trying to be more like the European lux companies...that's why they do it...but that's always seemed kinda weak.
I believe when Acura droppped the names Legend and Vigor for the '95 model year it was stated that owners talked about their Legends not their Acuras. Legend had more recognition then Acura. So they gave their new models forgetable names.

I will say that my friends, family, co-workers, and complete strangers refer to my car as an Acura instead of calling it a TL.

Most people have to ask me what the name of my car is as they forget. So I guess in some circles Acura's plan is working.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:40 AM
Racer

From this picture I am not to sure it's going to be fair to call it an RDX competitor. The rear end is so short that the cargo space must be less than 20cu ft??

Can anyone who saw this in person at a car show add some perspective on this?

Hopefully the RDX provides more room.

Old 05-27-2005, 10:52 AM
Racer

I saw it at the auto show ... all I can say is it's HOT! Not really sure about the cargo space, but I goota way when I walked in, right away I thought it was the RDX, before I realised it was in the Mazda showroom

I'm definitely going to check it out if it launches early 2006 ... I'm pretty much sure that my next car purchase will be Spring 2006 ... with the house closing in Dec, it should work out well ... NO SNOW ON THE GROUND either, hopefully ... (last 2 cars were pre-winter ... not fun)
Old 05-27-2005, 10:53 AM
Racer

that's the radio/ac etc head unit ... similar to the RX8
Old 05-27-2005, 12:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by marakbai
that's the radio/ac etc head unit ... similar to the RX8
Yeah, but this is some big round glass thing...not like the RX8
Old 06-04-2005, 04:31 PM
2006 Acura TL with nav

I like the look of this new X-Class as well as the M-Class. They retain a certain family resemblance yet move toward the modern crossover look. Still think the RDX may be the best looking yet of the bunch. I prefer simplicity in design I guess.

To bad were years away from a comparison test between the X3, X-Class, RDX, Mazda Crossport, Infiniti FX35 and whatever Volkswagen will kick out.
I love the FX-45 nice looks strong engine and 4wd. think acura should be shooting for a strong competator to crush the fx line and get closer to bmw than put a honda crv on steriods
Old 06-05-2005, 12:23 PM
Uber-Acura-Oakley

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here is scanned copy of what infiniti, cadillac, and mercedes is going to release.

http//forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Infiniti&Number=67962608&p age=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Wow, I guess I am going to keep my car for only two years again and look into one of these, including the RDX. I just sold my CL and bought an I35 and so far I am impressed with this infiniti. Now I am going to have to decide between the RDX or the CX35.

Old 06-06-2005, 11:40 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Danoli
I love the FX-45 nice looks strong engine and 4wd. think acura should be shooting for a strong competator to crush the fx line and get closer to bmw than put a honda crv on steriods
I think typical of Acura/Honda they will not push too hard with the Horsepower war so no FX45 competitor BUT the RDX may beat out the FX35 with superior handling from the SH-AWD and lighter weight.
As far as it being a CRV on steriods, I hope it is! I have a 2005 CRV SE and it's a great combination of comfort and utility. I'm hoping the RDX will increase the performance and luxury levels while sacrificing only a little utility.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:42 AM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
I think typical of Acura/Honda they will not push too hard with the Horsepower war so no FX45 competitor BUT the RDX may beat out the FX35 with superior handling from the SH-AWD and lighter weight.
As far as it being a CRV on steriods, I hope it is! I have a 2005 CRV SE and it's a great combination of comfort and utility. I'm hoping the RDX will increase the performance and luxury levels while sacrificing only a little utility.
CRV isn't a bad SUV at all, but its a bit underpowered.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:05 PM
Racer

Yeah, but this is some big round glass thing...not like the RX8

Hmmm ... got me then ...
I'd be interested to know what it is

Old 06-06-2005, 02:47 PM
Racer

It's the flux capacitor of course! That or a goldfish bowl? or a magic eight ball?
Old 06-09-2005, 03:02 PM
Racer

JUst got a call from Subaru .. the Tribeca is on the lot at the dealership ...

I'll try to go in this weekend for the test drive, and grab some pics ...
Old 06-09-2005, 05:35 PM
Racer

JUst got a call from Subaru .. the Tribeca is on the lot at the dealership ...

I'll try to go in this weekend for the test drive, and grab some pics ...
Should be interesting if you have the time. It got a favorable 'first-drive' review on Edmunds.com but hten again all 'first-drive' reviews are generally positive.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:24 AM
Racer

Follow-up on Volkswagen offering

Autoweek has an article on a possible new competitor for the RDX called the Volkswagen Bedoin.

excerpt:
"First up is a go-anywhere five-door SUV called Beduin due in 2007. Wolfsburg’s junior mudslinger, based on parts from both the Golf and Passat, intends to build on the success of the larger and more luxurious Touareg, providing Volkswagen with a rival to the Toyota RAV4 and Land Rover Freelander. Upper-end versions will take on the likes of BMW’s X3."

Looks smaller in the back but if the interior is up to typical Volkswagen standards and the have a good engine it may steal some attention from the RDX. Looks a little disporportional though front and back.

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=101992

New update has this coming out in early 2006.
The raised ride height has been designed to offer extra ground clearance. Under the skin, the new SUV features a re-engineered version of the Golf's 4MOTION all-wheel-drive system, which will also appear on the upcoming A3 Allroad from VW's sister firm, Audi.

Inside, the CrossGolf gets the same cabin as the Golf Plus, with three rear seats that fold and slide independently of each other. Pricing and specification details for the Golf Plus range have yet to be announced, but the soft-roader is set to make its showroom debut in 2006. It will be equipped with transversely mounted engines delivering up to 250 horsepower.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Enth...178.A8753.html
Old 06-14-2005, 09:21 AM
Racer

Holy!!! the wars are on for sure!
2006 is going to be deadly with these mini-luxo SUV's
Old 06-14-2005, 03:26 PM
Racer

Holy!!! the wars are on for sure!
2006 is going to be deadly with these mini-luxo SUV's
Plus we know there will be a Audi version of this, I believe it will be called the Q5?? I also read at Edmunds that revised Toyota Highlander will be released in the Fall of 2006 as a 2007 model. Not a direct competitor but another one to clutter the market.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:14 PM
Racer

Plus we know there will be a Audi version of this, I believe it will be called the Q5?? I also read at Edmunds that revised Toyota Highlander will be released in the Fall of 2006 as a 2007 model. Not a direct competitor but another one to clutter the market.
Exactly, there's a massive amount of these small and medium luxo and non-luxo SUV's coming out ... there's a redesigned RAV4 and I believe CRV also ...

Really makes you stop and think before going with the typical options .. and that's not even touching the new family utility vehicles (or tall station wagons )

Oye my head hurts ... but I'm gonna have fun driving them all!!!
Old 06-15-2005, 09:05 AM
Racer

Did you have a chance to test drive the Tribeca? First Impressions?
Old 06-15-2005, 01:25 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
and grab some pics ...

Please don't
Old 06-16-2005, 10:07 AM
Racer

Didn't get to drive the Tribeca as yet ... maybe this weekend ...

PS
Good one Dom ... you know you love it
Old 06-20-2005, 11:09 AM
Racer

Cadillac & Saab may also build mini-lux-corssovers

The Saab vehicle, known internally as the 9-4X, would be the smallest of three Saab SUVs. The all-wheel-drive vehicle is scheduled to be produced in Europe in 2009.

If approved, the BRX would fit in Cadillac's lineup below the SRX sport wagon. One industry source said the base price will be in the mid-$30,000s, between the CTS sedan and the SRX. Most important, it could give Cadillac a smaller sport wagon as it pushes to build sales in Europe.

The BRX will borrow the 2.8-liter V-6 used in the CTS sedan as its base engine. A 3.6-liter V-6 will be available in a top-of-the-line model. Sources say there will be no third-row seat available.

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102607

The list of potential competitors grows. I hope there is a demand in the market for all these vehicles?
Old 06-20-2005, 02:13 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

It's the flux capacitor of course! That or a goldfish bowl? or a magic eight ball?
"MX-Crossport, will you break down on this road trip??"

- "Signs point to yes".
Old 06-20-2005, 03:06 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jcg878
"MX-Crossport, will you break down on this road trip??"

- "Signs point to yes".
good one!!!
Old 06-27-2005, 09:32 AM
Racer

Benz is coming out with an MLK, to gear up against the X3 ....

http://motortrend.com/future/spied/112_0409_sketch/

Fun times, now I wonder, should I buy the B Class? Yeah, it'll be the beater.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:38 AM
Racer

Benz is coming out with an MLK, to gear up against the X3 ....

http://motortrend.com/future/spied/112_0409_sketch/

Fun times, now I wonder, should I buy the B Class? Yeah, it'll be the beater.
I wonder how close it will be to how it actually turns out - remember the RDX sketch from Motortrend??:

Quick Reply: RDX Competition?