RDX Competition?

Old 02-20-2005, 07:54 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RDX Competition?

Have you guys/gals seen the new Subaru Tribeca?

I just came back from the Canadian Auto Show, and damn is this thing cool. It's a 7 seater, with a 3.0L producing about 250hp, ... Price point between CDN$40K-$50K (premium with NAV etc) ...

I'm totally impressed by it, from what I could see anyway. It should be out in June 2005, which beats the RDX by at least 14/15 months! I think my wife and I are going to seriously consider this as our 2nd car, as we start that process.

I still love the MDX though, so have to do some real comparisons, etc ....

Check out a pic of the "half cut"

more info at http://www.subarub9tribeca.ca
Old 02-21-2005, 03:07 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
I've never seen a front end that ugly

But besides that it looks like a winner. And my best guess is that it starts at 50K with the 6 cylinder motor. Considering a Outback with the same engine is ~44K.

Is it getting the 2.5L NA engine?
Old 02-21-2005, 04:31 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
That shit is as sin...
Old 03-16-2005, 09:26 AM
Racer

Volkswagen Bedoin???

Autoweek has an article on a possible new competitor for the RDX called the Volkswagen Bedoin.

excerpt:
"First up is a go-anywhere five-door SUV called Beduin due in 2007. Wolfsburg’s junior mudslinger, based on parts from both the Golf and Passat, intends to build on the success of the larger and more luxurious Touareg, providing Volkswagen with a rival to the Toyota RAV4 and Land Rover Freelander. Upper-end versions will take on the likes of BMW’s X3."

Looks smaller in the back but if the interior is up to typical Volkswagen standards and the have a good engine it may steal some attention from the RDX. Looks a little disporportional though front and back.

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=101992
Old 03-16-2005, 11:46 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by 98AccordEx
Autoweek has an article on a possible new competitor for the RDX called the Volkswagen Bedoin.

excerpt:
"First up is a go-anywhere five-door SUV called Beduin due in 2007. Wolfsburg’s junior mudslinger, based on parts from both the Golf and Passat, intends to build on the success of the larger and more luxurious Touareg, providing Volkswagen with a rival to the Toyota RAV4 and Land Rover Freelander. Upper-end versions will take on the likes of BMW’s X3."

Looks smaller in the back but if the interior is up to typical Volkswagen standards and the have a good engine it may steal some attention from the RDX. Looks a little disporportional though front and back.

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=101992
I agree, the back looks like a golf ... have to see it in person.

So the lineup is:

Subaru Tribeca - April/May 2005
Acura RDX - April/May 2006
MB B Class - Spring 2006
VW Benouin - 2007?

my wife and I are looking for a second car soon .. considerng the MB C230 coupe, since none of the small SUV's we want are anytime soon ... oh well.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:55 PM
Racer

I also thought Audi was working on something..a Q5???

Also read that Land Rover was ramping up design for the next Freelander.

Also the Mazda Crossover looked great.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:00 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by marakbai
I agree, the back looks like a golf ... have to see it in person.

So the lineup is:

Subaru Tribeca - April/May 2005
Acura RDX - April/May 2006
MB B Class - Spring 2006
VW Benouin - 2007?

my wife and I are looking for a second car soon .. considerng the MB C230 coupe, since none of the small SUV's we want are anytime soon ... oh well.
If you can't wait for these I really recommend looking at the 2005 CRV SE. We just bought one (couldn't wait for the RDX either) and after changing to Goodyear Comfort-treds it rides great. The new tires give it a luxury feel...no kidding. Standard features in the SE include sunroof, 6CD with steering wheel control, perforated leather interior, VSA, EBD, etc. The 4cyl held me back for a while but with the new 5spd auto it performs flawlessly on highway, hills, and especially around town. Check it out.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:09 PM
Racer

If you can't wait for these I really recommend looking at the 2005 CRV SE. We just bought one (couldn't wait for the RDX either) and after changing to Goodyear Comfort-treds it rides great. The new tires give it a luxury feel...no kidding. Standard features in the SE include sunroof, 6CD with steering wheel control, perforated leather interior, VSA, EBD, etc. The 4cyl held me back for a while but with the new 5spd auto it performs flawlessly on highway, hills, and especially around town. Check it out.
Thanks 98AccordEx, we'll take a look at it.
In fact we never really considered it because we did not like the earlier styling, but I'll be sure to take a look before we decide for sure. The only other option was the RAV4 but they seem too overpriced for what you get.

Anyone know anything about release day of the Mazda Crossover, or is that pure concept?
Old 03-20-2005, 06:55 PM
Racer

Thanks 98AccordEx, we'll take a look at it.
In fact we never really considered it because we did not like the earlier styling, but I'll be sure to take a look before we decide for sure. The only other option was the RAV4 but they seem too overpriced for what you get.
The 2005 CRV actually looks a little bit better. They changed to all red taillights, which makes the vehicle look more modern (i.e. without the yellow signals). The headlights are now more aggressive.

I too think that the RAV4 is overpriced and small.

Anyone know anything about release day of the Mazda Crossover, or is that pure concept?
Are you asking about the new Mazda MX-Crossport (i.e. a new SUV)?
When asking a Mazda rep in the Toronto's Autoshow last month, I was told that the earliest they can start selling the Crossport would be Fall 2006. For sure it'll come out after the Acura RD-X.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:00 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

I saw a Tribeca on the road a few weeks ago - Ugly (with a capital U)
Old 03-21-2005, 05:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jcg878
I saw a Tribeca on the road a few weeks ago - Ugly (with a capital U)
Yeah, I just saw it at the Minneapolis Autoshow this weekend and I almost threw up...children were weeping and hiding their faces...what was Subby thinking?
Old 03-22-2005, 05:36 AM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by AcuraFan
Yeah, I just saw it at the Minneapolis Autoshow this weekend and I almost threw up...children were weeping and hiding their faces...what was Subby thinking?
You will see more Subarus in similar style pretty soon. They now have the ex-Alfa Romeo designer as the head designer.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:49 AM
Racer

oh come on, it's not that bad ...

It's not the greatest looking, but I'm sure if the price point is good, and I'm happy with the build/quality it'll be hard to say no.

For me anyway, it's their new look, to go along with there aerospace heritage apparently. Think of it as an F16, kinda sorta, maybe not-ish

We'll see, I'm test driving as soon as it comes out.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MSZ
You will see more Subarus in similar style pretty soon. They now have the ex-Alfa Romeo designer as the head designer.
I know. It's weird though, I do sorta like the styling of Alfa Romeo...but it's the combination of that nose and the Subaru body that just makes it look UGLY.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:28 PM
Safety Car

The Tribeca's interior is great; very comtemporary. The front end will take more getting used to. This car is really direct comptetion for the MDX, though.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:43 AM
Racer

Update on Mazda Crossport

Originally Posted by lamster
When asking a Mazda rep in the Toronto's Autoshow last month, I was told that the earliest they can start selling the Crossport would be Fall 2006. For sure it'll come out after the Acura RD-X.
Good work Lamster. Autoweek is backing up what you were told.

Mazda to build new sport wagon; Mazda6-based vehicle set to arrive late '06 at earliest

Mazda North American Operations is counting on a new sport wagon to be the third core product in its lineup.

The vehicle should arrive in late 2006 or early 2007. It will be based on the Mazda6 platform.

Executives declined to give specific volume figures for the vehicle. But they expect it to outsell the Tribute sport wagon, the current No. 3 volume seller, which sold 41,078 units in 2004.

The Tribute will stay in the lineup after the new sport wagon arrives.

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102112
Old 04-07-2005, 11:11 AM
Racer

Subaru Tribeca pricing announced

Saw this on The Car Connection.
http://www.thecarconnection.com/inde...&sid=173&n=156

Subaru has priced the B9 Tribeca, the five- or seven-passenger SUV it will offer for sale June 1. The base five-seater, featuring ABS, curtain airbags, and a CD player, starts at $30,695. The least expensive seven-seater adds rear air conditioning and checks in at $32,395, while the most expensive seven-seater with leather seating, a CD changer, and a DVD entertainment and DVD navigation system will go for $37,695. The biggest Subaru ever, the Tribeca is built on a stretched Legacy/Outback platform and sports a 250-hp flat six with 219 lb-ft of torque coupled to a five-speed automatic. It will be sold in theU.S., Canada, and later, in South America and Japan.

I haven't seen this in person but in pictures it seems to more Highlander sized than MDX, so the 5 seater could compete with the RDX???
Old 04-07-2005, 04:49 PM
Racer

I haven't seen any confirmed dimensions on the Tribeca yet, but it's supposedly a little longer, wider and taller than the Outback. Since the Outback measures in at 188.7" in length, same as the MDX, and the RDX is supposed to be the same length as the CRV (which measures in at 181.8"), I think that the Tribeca is probably noticeably bigger than the RDX.

Now, I've seen that people cross shop a *lot* of vehicles that the manufacturers don't intend as competitors, simply because they cost about the same. Heck, when I bought my TSX, i was cross-shopping it against a whole bunch of things, including a CRV. I bet some people do cross shop the RDX and Tribeca, but I think Subaru wants the Tribeca to be compared to the MDX, not the RDX.

John
Old 04-08-2005, 07:30 AM
Racer

Interesting point John .... some cross shopping truly is dollar motivated.

I saw a Tribeca in Toronto (west end, 427 and Dundas) on Wednesday night. It's looks pretty nice indeed (again, to me).

Size wise, it's hard to compare because I don't know what the RDX looks like, but it definitely looks smaller than then MDX, around Highlander size. Could just be certain aspects of the dimensions/design. As a 7 seater it has to be within that size range anyway.

Price wise, it'll come in cheaper than MDX, hence RDX comparison ...
Old 04-19-2005, 10:13 AM
Racer

Mercedes X-Class

Autoweek has an article on the upcoming X-Class MB due as a 2008 model to take aim at X3 and thus the RDX as well.

Article notes a number of engine choices including 2.2-liter four-cylinder, a variety of V6s ranging from 230 hp to 270 hp, and a 4.7-liter 326-hp V8 for the U.S. market.

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102231
Old 04-19-2005, 10:38 AM
Racer

Autoweek has an article on the upcoming X-Class MB due as a 2008 model to take aim at X3 and thus the RDX as well.

Article notes a number of engine choices including 2.2-liter four-cylinder, a variety of V6s ranging from 230 hp to 270 hp, and a 4.7-liter 326-hp V8 for the U.S. market.

Good to know ... I'm on a wait list for test drive of the new MB B-Class .... could be a good second car. It seems like the only decent thing coming out this year, IMO
Old 04-19-2005, 11:28 AM
Racer

I like the look of this new X-Class as well as the M-Class. They retain a certain family resemblance yet move toward the modern crossover look. Still think the RDX may be the best looking yet of the bunch. I prefer simplicity in design I guess.

To bad were years away from a comparison test between the X3, X-Class, RDX, Mazda Crossport, Infiniti FX35 and whatever Volkswagen will kick out.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:08 PM
MSZ
Lola

326hp?????

the HP war has reached a new high guys...
Old 04-19-2005, 04:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MSZ
326hp?????

the HP war has reached a new high guys...
Yeah, that'll be the AMG version though...it's gonna be stupid-expensive. We are definitely not going to see an RDX that will compete with that. We'll probably see one engine good for 260hp at most. I wish Acura got back into performance options (Type S or Type R). A TL Type R that could compete with an M3 would totally rock.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:45 PM
MSZ
Lola

Yeah, that'll be the AMG version though...it's gonna be stupid-expensive. We are definitely not going to see an RDX that will compete with that. We'll probably see one engine good for 260hp at most. I wish Acura got back into performance options (Type S or Type R). A TL Type R that could compete with an M3 would totally rock.
C&D HK(March issue)reported that Honda will kill off all R models and S2k in a couple of years(to put more resources on RDX and the new MDX). I hope its not true.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:54 PM
Pro

Good to know ... I'm on a wait list for test drive of the new MB B-Class .... could be a good second car. It seems like the only decent thing coming out this year, IMO
I thought I read were the B-Class is dead (as far as the US is concerned) due to the Euro out performing the Dollar which will but the B-Class in a price bracket M-B does not want it to be in.

You may want to contact your dealer.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MSZ
C&D HK(March issue)reported that Honda will kill off all R models and S2k in a couple of years(to put more resources on RDX and the new MDX). I hope its not true.
Yeah, I read that too. Sux.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:11 AM
Pro

Yeah, I read that too. Sux.

I would like for them to put as much devotion into a CL replacement that is light, fast and a little more aggressive looking!
Old 04-20-2005, 09:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Precision Crafted
I would like for them to put as much devotion into a CL replacement that is light, fast and a little more aggressive looking!
Yeah, I'd like to see:
An RDX that compete with the FX35 (though it will actually come closer to the X3)
The RSX grow up a little (or slightly more refined replacement)
A TSX with a little more power
A RWD CL that competes with the G35c
A TL with AWD
A coupe based off the RL
A new NSX that can compete with Ferarri

And for pretty much all models with a Type R-like upgrade that competes with BMW M, Audi S and MB AMG.

I know pretty much none of these things will happen but it's nice to dream.

But even if they don't, the RDX is still high on my list for a new car. It's gonna be a class leader.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:17 AM
Pro

Yeah, I'd like to see:
An RDX that compete with the FX35 (though it will actually come closer to the X3)
A TL with AWD
A coupe based off the RL

And for pretty much all models with a Type R-like upgrade that competes with BMW M, Audi S and MB AMG.

But even if they don't, the RDX is still high on my list for a new car. It's gonna be a class leader.
Well what we do know is that there will be hybrid Acura's on the way. Will they be the performance kind that Lexus will offer or just power upgrades like the Accord? Acura has said that it will be more concerned with performace but to the degree that a TL Type? will give AMG and others is unclear and not too likely.
I see RWD only happening "if" Honda does develop an Ultra-Lux sedan above the RL. Even then with Audi loosing it bid to convert to RWD, Honda may see a case for AWD. Given M-B offer 4-Matic on S-Classes and BMW may offer a 7 series ix/Lix model a RWD Acura is fading fast. Now if Acura would get it through their heads to program the system for more rear-wheel bias would change the "feels like a front driver" perception.

TSX will get more hp as the Accord i-4 gains pwr, and as direct competitors gain hp. Now will that happen via a turbo?? Who knows but just think of a tubro on the K24 with a beefed up suspension!!!!

RSX is DEAD!!!!! That has pretty much been confimed.
TL with SH-AWD is in the cards. That has been pretty much confirmed.
NSX, well one month it is being replaced, then next it is being killed to focus on mainstream models. So who knows.

So, you'll get some things on your wish list and that is all good.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:18 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Yeah, I'd like to see:
A TL with AWD
A coupe based off the RL

I think out of these you will see....

A TL with AWD

And maybe a car about the RL
Old 04-21-2005, 08:20 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Well what we do know is that there will be hybrid Acura's on the way. Will they be the performance kind that Lexus will offer or just power upgrades like the Accord? Acura has said that it will be more concerned with performace but to the degree that a TL Type? will give AMG and others is unclear and not too likely.
I see RWD only happening "if" Honda does develop an Ultra-Lux sedan above the RL. Even then with Audi loosing it bid to convert to RWD, Honda may see a case for AWD. Given M-B offer 4-Matic on S-Classes and BMW may offer a 7 series ix/Lix model a RWD Acura is fading fast. Now if Acura would get it through their heads to program the system for more rear-wheel bias would change the "feels like a front driver" perception.

TSX will get more hp as the Accord i-4 gains pwr, and as direct competitors gain hp. Now will that happen via a turbo?? Who knows but just think of a tubro on the K24 with a beefed up suspension!!!!

RSX is DEAD!!!!! That has pretty much been confimed.
TL with SH-AWD is in the cards. That has been pretty much confirmed.
NSX, well one month it is being replaced, then next it is being killed to focus on mainstream models. So who knows.

So, you'll get some things on your wish list and that is all good.
whooops... I didn't read this before I posted. I amend my above post to "I agree"
Old 04-22-2005, 06:53 PM
Racer

This car will be another sub 30k Acura. So competiton will be;
Nissan Murano
Kia
Hyundai
Honda CR-V
Toyota Rav-4
Mercury Escape thing
Old 04-23-2005, 12:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by AcuraGT-3
Nissan Murano
Kia
Hyundai
Honda CR-V
Toyota Rav-4
Mercury Escape thing

Not at all. The RDX competition will most likely be the X3 and a possible upcoming small MB suv. Just like the TSX is considered in the same class at the 325 and C-class yet costs far less.

Besides, the CRV is competition for the others you mentioned and the RDX will be quite a few steps above the CRV it will share a platform with.
Old 04-23-2005, 01:02 PM
Racer

I thought I read were the B-Class is dead (as far as the US is concerned) due to the Euro out performing the Dollar which will but the B-Class in a price bracket M-B does not want it to be in.

You may want to contact your dealer.
Thanks, I think that's only the US ... Canada is supposed to get it still, last I heard, it's this summer. I'll double check with the dealer though . .thanks!
Old 04-23-2005, 02:54 PM
Pro

Thanks, I think that's only the US ... Canada is supposed to get it still, last I heard, it's this summer. I'll double check with the dealer though . .thanks!
No problem. And if you are able to get it great. It looks like a nice cross over and a great entry point for M-B.
Old 04-23-2005, 06:21 PM
Racer

No problem. And if you are able to get it great. It looks like a nice cross over and a great entry point for M-B.
Yeah, I read an article where they said MB realises that they are missing out on a large segment of the market (20-somethings) who do not want to shell out E-Class money, or who may already own an "entry luxury" and are looking for a second "run-around" car, not necessarily SUV. I fit right in that segment. My wife and I just bought a house, and a second car is going to become a necessity in a few months when we close. We were thinking SUV's but have not really found "the one" .. .so for now, we've added the B-Class as an option, and see where we end up.

As I mentioned in a previous post, we've become so spoiled with the amazing luxury interior and trimmings of Acura that it's really hard to go back to a beat around Hyundai or Kia, or Corolla for that matter, so options are few (RSX, B-Class, A3 etc etc)
Old 04-24-2005, 04:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Originally Posted by AcuraGT-3
Nissan Murano
Kia
Hyundai
Honda CR-V
Toyota Rav-4
Mercury Escape thing
The average Nissan Murano goes out the door for well over $30k (~$32k). A loaded one costs about $38k+ out the door.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:58 PM
Racer

Subaru Tribeca update

Motor Trend has more info and a First drive review comparing the Tribeca to the BMW X5??

Due out June 2005.

http://motortrend.com/roadtests/wago...ca/index1.html

2006 Subaru B9 Tribeca Base price (est) $32,000 Vehicle layout Front engine, AWD, 4-door, 5-7-pass wagon Engine type F-6, aluminum block/head, DOHC, 4 valves/cyl Displacement, ci/cc 183.0 / 2999 Max horsepower SAE net 250 @ 6600 rpm Max torque SAE net, lb-ft 219 @ 4200 rpm Transmission 5-speed automatic Curb weight, lb (est) 4250 0-60 mph, sec (est) 8.0 EPA mpg, city/hwy Not yet rated On sale in U.S. June 2005
Old 04-25-2005, 10:26 PM
VTEC HoooA

That Mercedes is NICE LOOKING!!! The one thing I give to the competitors is the fact that they offer customers a choice. Acura just force feeds a single power plant to it's customers. When designing new models it simply tunes these same aging power plants as well.

Acura needs an 8 Cylinder engine to be taken seriously in the sport/luxury segment......too bad it will never happen.

In regards to the post that requested a type R TL, I would say only in AWD and ony with 350+ horspower and a significant reduction in curb weight......but yes I do agree it is needed. Too bad Acura prefers to sit on the sidelines of the performance war (I hear there won't even be an NSX replacement).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RDX Competition?