RDX - Acura badged 2007 CRV?

Old 10-26-2006, 03:03 PM
Base RDX - Carbon Pearl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RDX - Acura badged 2007 CRV?

I hate to hear when some people say that. They only share the new global truck platfrom. Other than that nothing similar.

I personally don't like the shape of the new CRV back. And it is lack of power, only 6 HP more. Can't believe they call that completely new design ! I had the 1st gen CR-V, everything was ok but really really really lack of horsepower when you go on ramp. Test drove the 2 gen with 160 HP, feel almost the same. So, I don't think the 3rd gen with 166 HP will do a lot better.

What do you guys think ?
Old 10-26-2006, 03:22 PM
Advanced

yeah, i agree. i had the 1-gen CRV too back in 97. it has only 130 hp i think....i really had to step on it to force it going on highway...
Old 10-26-2006, 03:41 PM
Instructor

People can say what they want,but with
the Acura you get a much nicer vehicle.I currently
have an MDX and when people tell me it
is just a rebadged Pilot,I tell them that
if you drove both you would never make
that assumption
Old 10-26-2006, 03:43 PM
Base RDX - Carbon Pearl

Crv

Originally Posted by ravemother
yeah, i agree. i had the 1-gen CRV too back in 97. it has only 130 hp i think....i really had to step on it to force it going on highway...
Actually, it is less 120 HP, I think 118 HP only. I think for a SUV of that weight, 200 HP is a minimum. And these days, most new decent cars are over 200 HP anyway.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:47 PM
Base RDX - Carbon Pearl

Mdx

Originally Posted by buckeye#1
People can say what they want,but with
the Acura you get a much nicer vehicle.I currently
have an MDX and when people tell me it
is just a rebadged Pilot,I tell them that
if you drove both you would never make
that assumption
At least MDX and Pilot are sharing the same engine, and they could try to say that.
Even though, if they load all available upgrade options on Pilot, it won't be a lot cheaper than the base MDX. Not to mention it is different quality of build, such as more luxury interior, and better quality leather, etc

For RDX, it has totally different engine than 2007 CRV.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:50 PM
Instructor

I have realized this many times in life...
People believe in what they want to believe, truth or facts has nothing to do with their beliefs, in general. For those who refuse to look at facts, I just walk away....

Old 10-26-2006, 04:07 PM
Carbon Bronze RDX

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gomboy60
I have realized this many times in life...
People believe in what they want to believe, truth or facts has nothing to do with their beliefs, in general. For those who refuse to look at facts, I just walk away....

"Still the man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest" - Paul Simon

We looked at the new CR-V. It's a pretty nice vehicle that with extra hp and a power drivers seat would have been a much more compelling option. I didn't much care for the dash and lack of center console, but those things mattered much less to my wife.

The seats in the RDX are far more supportive, especially in the shoulders. A flip-down armrest in a car reminds me of full size vans of the 80s/90s. But w/o a real center console, what were they going to do?

Overall, once Honda starts discounting them, it will be a nice package for $~25k fully loaded for folks who don't have much "sporty driving ambition."

-Phil
Old 10-26-2006, 05:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
"RDX - a Honda badged 2007 CR-V"

i think someone should change the title of the thread...

last time i looked, the CR-V IS badged as a honda.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:57 PM
Advanced

honda missed out on the new CRV IMO, saying that a powerful V6 was not desired because of lowered economy reasons...wrong, just look at what the Rav4 has done. Nearly the same MPG yet 100+ hp on the top of the line CRV (which is nearly 30k! with nav)
Old 10-26-2006, 06:02 PM
Carbon Bronze RDX

Originally Posted by Philbert
Overall, once Honda starts discounting them, it will be a nice package for $~25k fully loaded for folks who don't have much "sporty driving ambition."

-Phil
I should have said, "once Honda dealers start discounting them, it will be a nice package at ~$25k fully loaded with the exception of Navigation...
Old 10-26-2006, 06:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wasn't this one of the first vehicles that Honda actually based on an Acura platform... And let people think what the want.

Mike
Old 10-26-2006, 07:31 PM
Base RDX - Carbon Pearl

Title

Originally Posted by mrdeeno
"RDX - a Honda badged 2007 CR-V"

i think someone should change the title of the thread...

last time i looked, the CR-V IS badged as a honda.
Yes, my fault, mod, please change the title to "RDX - Acura badged 2007 CRV"
Old 10-26-2006, 08:17 PM
Suzuka Master

I don't know about all the people claiming "rebadge" with cars nowadays.

There are VERY few cars that are straight rebadges of another car, and most of that is committed by domestic automakers.

but MANY cars are based off common platforms. Who would think that the most popular Lexus model (RX) is based off a camry? The models based off of good platforms share the strengths of that platform, but also any limitations of that platform.

But anyone calling an RDX a "rebadge" of a CR-V is someone that's not into cars.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:58 PM
Race Director

I think of any car compnay does that its ford and mercury. You can put some fords and Mercurys next to each other and be like uhhh ok whats the difference besides the eblem. I think the same thing goes for chevy and ponitac on a couple models.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:01 PM
Carbon Bronze RDX

Yes, we've come a long way from when the first Legend was a "fancy" accord, and an ES250 was a "fancy" camry. With each generation, Lexus has further differentiated the ES from the Camry. Though the TSX is basically the European market Accord.

The costs associated with designing and building a "platform" are immense, such that multiple models are really needed to make the design profitable. But, with different powertrains, bodywork and interior materials/designs, very different vehicles can be made on the same "platform."
Old 10-26-2006, 11:57 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was at a mall tonight - the only open space was between a Quest (06?) and new 07 CRV.

As I walked away, I looked back as I hit the alarm ...

No second guesses. I already really liked my RDX. Seeing it between the other two... it stood out, looking very refined, sleek, yet aggressive.

(oh good grief... now it's soundling a little bit like love ... haven't had that feeling since my A6!)

--mj
Old 10-27-2006, 08:56 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by acurardx
I hate to hear when some people say that. They only share the new global truck platfrom. Other than that nothing similar.

I personally don't like the shape of the new CRV back. And it is lack of power, only 6 HP more. Can't believe they call that completely new design ! I had the 1st gen CR-V, everything was ok but really really really lack of horsepower when you go on ramp. Test drove the 2 gen with 160 HP, feel almost the same. So, I don't think the 3rd gen with 166 HP will do a lot better.

What do you guys think ?
Drove the new CRV, bought the RDX. The CRV is adequate for running errands etc. Not sure how it would do at altitude with full load, but I expect it would handle it OK.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:37 AM
Suzuka Master

well, i remember driving down the street with a passenger (girl) and she saw a black current gen. Maxima and she said, "Look, he has the same car as you!" (I drive an M45sport BTW).

Coming from her, I don't really care because it's obvious she does not know anything abuot cars. But then again she also thinks that a VW jetta competes with the BMW 3-series.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:39 AM
Cruisin'

RDX vs CRV

Ok- I drove the RDX and CRV and ended buying the CRV. First of all the RDX was 8k more than the CRV. Thats ok because it has more tech stuff, more HP and is a nicer package overall. My other reason for buying the CRV was my son will be driving this car in about a year. Let me give you my observations on both cars. The RDX is more comfortable but rides stiffer. Even though the specs say it is larger than the CRV it felt smaller inside. I did notice and was bothered by the turbo lag. This was the first turbo I drove so that could be the problem. Fit and finish was good. Typicial Acura standards. The CRV was comfortable and rode softer than the RDX. The power was ok. Nothing special. I did take this car on a 2 hour rode trip and was very pleased on the handling and power once you got up to speed. Fit and fiish was excellent. Belive or not it was as good or better than the RDX.
The CRV was made in Japan. BTW- I looked at the new MDX and it had the fit and finish was not as good as either the RDX or CRV. If the RDX had a small V6 (3.2/250 HP) it would of been a tough choice. Overall the RDK is a great car but the CRV was the better value for me. I think buy labeling the CRV as just an errand hopper is wrong.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:12 PM
Banned

New CRV isn't even close to being as quick and as well appointed.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:20 PM
Dennis

Yeah -- we all overpaid for our RDX's. An RDX is just like a CRV.

Well, except for maybe the engine, transmission, suspension, technology..., well, you get the idea.
Old 10-28-2006, 03:50 PM
Base RDX - Carbon Pearl

07 Crv

I checked out the 2007 CRV EX-L this afternoon. Not bad, nicer looking than the previous model. I didn't test drive it but in terms of quality. Honda is a Honda, can't compare with Acura. EVen the EX-L is loaded with leather, but the leather is nothing like the premium leather RDX has.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:32 PM
TSX: Boeing Dreamliner!

We are considering a CR-V. The RDX is a gorgeous vehicle but it suffers in a very big way with poor fuel economy. First premium and second the SH-AWD coupled with turbo that's working at low pressure even at normal driving rpms reduce the fuel efficiency considerable. My parents are retiring, they don't care for the extras the RDX offers....but I love the look of the RDX - I especially admire the back of the vehicle. Low end torque feels similar though, mid range and above is a different story between them. But for the first time.....there is a big difference in features and quality of materials between the Honda and its Acura cousin. The fit and finish are similar (so is an Accord and a TL, CSX and a Civic) but the rest of the materials are far superior in your RDX's. But we'll save some cash and fuel costs and take the CR-V. But Honda must do something about low end torque in all of there 4 cylinder I-VTEC engines...it lacks (I have a TSX and I know). Nissan and Toyota 2.5/2.4 powerplants feel much better at the low end.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:40 PM
Pro

What do you guys think ?

Hard to believe huh?

If I paid in excess of $30K for a CRV with a blown 4 banger, leather seats, and a $30 RDX badge, I'll be pissed off.

I'll make every kind of justification for my purchase. Just let them think that the RDX is a rebadged CRV--I'll deny it b/c the truth hurts.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:41 PM
Base RDX - Carbon Pearl

Rdx

Originally Posted by Ellas9
We are considering a CR-V. The RDX is a gorgeous vehicle but it suffers in a very big way with poor fuel economy. First premium and second the SH-AWD coupled with turbo that's working at low pressure even at normal driving rpms reduce the fuel efficiency considerable. My parents are retiring, they don't care for the extras the RDX offers....but I love the look of the RDX - I especially admire the back of the vehicle. Low end torque feels similar though, mid range and above is a different story between them. But for the first time.....there is a big difference in features and quality of materials between the Honda and its Acura cousin. The fit and finish are similar (so is an Accord and a TL, CSX and a Civic) but the rest of the materials are far superior in your RDX's. But we'll save some cash and fuel costs and take the CR-V. But Honda must do something about low end torque in all of there 4 cylinder I-VTEC engines...it lacks (I have a TSX and I know). Nissan and Toyota 2.5/2.4 powerplants feel much better at the low end.
If the car will be for your retiring parents, then I suggest you to go with the CRV as they would not enjoy fun to drive factor of the RDX. RDX's main target customers are young professional.

Yes, you are right the RDX consumes at least 10-15% more gas than a CRV, and it takes premium gas only which is another 15% more on gas. Oil change requires synethetic oil. All these things will add up on your monthly bill.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:46 PM
Racer

If the car will be for your retiring parents, then I suggest you to go with the CRV as they would not enjoy fun to drive factor of the RDX. RDX's main target customers are young professional.
Just because someone's older, doesn't mean that they don't want a sporty, fun to drive vehicle... and Acura's target market doesn't mean jack, it's all marketing nonsense.

What you should have said is "if your parents are more interested in fuel economy and price than sporty driving characteristics, then they should get the CRV."
Old 10-31-2006, 10:56 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jaobrien6
Just because someone's older, doesn't mean that they don't want a sporty, fun to drive vehicle... and Acura's target market doesn't mean jack, it's all marketing nonsense.

What you should have said is "if your parents are more interested in fuel economy and price than sporty driving characteristics, then they should get the CRV."
I concur. I am in mid-40s and I enjoy drving RDX very much without much regard to its shortcomings, such as lower than expected MPG (only because I can afford the higher gas price), etc. As a matter of fact, as one becomes older, thus financially more stable (in some cases), he or she will more likely enjoy the finer things in life.

Old 11-01-2006, 06:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
This cracks me up. Of course it's the same car, except for the engine, transmission, AWD drivetrain, wheels, tires, seats, glass, sheetmetal... oh and badging. Yeah, it's the same thing.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:36 PM
Cruisin'

What got me decided on the RDX was the console and HIDs and appearance and interior... Not the same car and I have gone to the dealership and sat in both. My father has an 03 Element and I hate the shifter position and the empty space in between the shifter and cupholders - it's the same in the CR-V and I hate it. Soon as I have the funds im picking up an 08. RDX FTW
Old 11-02-2006, 02:06 AM
Honda Fanboy

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
First of all, if anything, the CR-V is based on the RDX and the Pilot is based on the MDX. Not the other way around. Anyone who thinks or says otherwise is clearly ignorant and unknowledgeable in regards to cars.

Second, do the RDX and CR-V even share platforms? I've heard yes and no. Does anyone know for sure what the answer is, with something credible to back it up? I've always been under the impression that the RDX is on the new light global truck platform which is exclusive to itself and the CR-V is still on the Civic chassis. If I'm wrong, please let me know.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by VTEC Racer
First of all, if anything, the CR-V is based on the RDX and the Pilot is based on the MDX. Not the other way around. Anyone who thinks or says otherwise is clearly ignorant and unknowledgeable in regards to cars.

Second, do the RDX and CR-V even share platforms? I've heard yes and no. Does anyone know for sure what the answer is, with something credible to back it up? I've always been under the impression that the RDX is on the new light global truck platform which is exclusive to itself and the CR-V is still on the Civic chassis. If I'm wrong, please let me know.
both are based on the new light truck platform.

I'd do the research for evidence, but I'm too lazy this morning. But trust me, they ARE based on the same platform.

But i disagree with your first statement...just because two cars are built on the same platform does not mean it is based on one or the other. Unless it was a straight case of badge engineering (such as slapping an Acura badge on a Civic and adding some leather and calling it a EL), then you can't say that XXX is based on YYY. These cars are different enough that they are not based on each other, but are similar enough to be based on the same platform.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:56 AM
Dennis

The '07 CR-V is based on the new platform, not the earlier years. I was walking towards my car in a parking garage and then noticed that I was approaching someone's CR-V. It's not too hard to tell the difference if you're paying attention (which I wsn't).
Old 11-02-2006, 11:08 AM
Base RDX - Carbon Pearl

Rdx

Originally Posted by schuchmn
The '07 CR-V is based on the new platform, not the earlier years. I was walking towards my car in a parking garage and then noticed that I was approaching someone's CR-V. It's not too hard to tell the difference if you're paying attention (which I wsn't).

In terms of shape, they might not have a big difference. But the turbo engine, SH-AWD, audio system, premium leather, etc are definitely the differences ! I guess all these can easily justify for the roughly 4 grand difference in price (RDX base vs 07 CRV EX-L with fog lights and spoiler added)
Old 11-02-2006, 12:16 PM
Base RDX - Carbon Pearl

Rdx

And I think comparing the price and gas consumption between the RDX and CRV is not fair at all as they are not same class and same engine.

I would say Lexus RX350 and Infiniti FX35 are more comparable to the RDX in terms of class and horsepower,etc.

See comparision http://lexus.edmunds.com/apps/nvc/lexus/VehicleComparison;jsessionid=FK0SRhVrhGXbpQ4VLHZwQ 6clnzhV2xMwpt50Fnhk5dJDghX13j8T!-2082133137?basestyleid=100684407&styleid=100773231 &styleid=100632037&maxvehicles=3&refid=&op=3&tab=f eatures

If you look at the comparison with its class, you will notice RDX has the best price, even same MPG as the well known best MPG in class - Lexus RX350.

I know RDX is 4 cyclinders but it does produce almost the horsepower and more torque than them.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:03 PM
Dennis

In terms of shape, they might not have a big difference. But the turbo engine, SH-AWD, audio system, premium leather, etc are definitely the differences ! I guess all these can easily justify for the roughly 4 grand difference in price (RDX base vs 07 CRV EX-L with fog lights and spoiler added)
Oh, no question about it. I was just pointing out that the two look enough alike to see that they're built on the same platform. They don't compare otherwise.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 248 Likes on 229 Posts
Originally Posted by schuchmn
Oh, no question about it. I was just pointing out that the two look enough alike to see that they're built on the same platform. They don't compare otherwise.
Wow, must be my old eyes. They don't even look close to the same to me inside or outside. Nothing against the CRV but I doubt that I would ever mistake the CRV for my RDX.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:33 PM
Skeet Skeet Skeet

Actually, it is less 120 HP, I think 118 HP only. I think for a SUV of that weight, 200 HP is a minimum. And these days, most new decent cars are over 200 HP anyway.
the first gen crv had 140 hp not 120 and u are right that kinda power aint shit in a suv....the CRVs are just good for swap parts these days because it a direct swap in eg,dc,da, & ek chasis and for those would want to convert the integras to rear wheel drive
Old 11-03-2006, 12:17 PM
Honda Fanboy

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by mrdeeno
But i disagree with your first statement...just because two cars are built on the same platform does not mean it is based on one or the other. Unless it was a straight case of badge engineering (such as slapping an Acura badge on a Civic and adding some leather and calling it a EL), then you can't say that XXX is based on YYY. These cars are different enough that they are not based on each other, but are similar enough to be based on the same platform.
I get what your saying. I was just trying to make a point though. Many people are quick to say that the MDX is based on the Pilot and the RDX based on the CR-V. What I should have said is that if people are gonna say any car is based on another, it should be the other way around for the RDX and MDX. I know the RDX is a totally different car than the CR-V. But you get lots of people that try to discredit a car by saying it's just a rebaged version of a cheap CR-V. A CR-V that came out AFTER the RDX.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:23 PM
Base RDX - Carbon Pearl

Csx

I think it makes more sense if people say CSX (in Canada) is a premium version of Civic. It has exact shape and same engine but with leather seat added and logo changed. US does not even carry it.

Check it out from www.acura.ca
Old 11-03-2006, 04:22 PM
TMQ
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by s4iscool
honda missed out on the new CRV IMO, saying that a powerful V6 was not desired because of lowered economy reasons...wrong, just look at what the Rav4 has done. Nearly the same MPG yet 100+ hp on the top of the line CRV (which is nearly 30k! with nav)
Look at the Oct sales number. CR-V sold 20,000. RAV4 sold 11,000. CX-7 sold about 4,500. HP isn't everything.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RDX - Acura badged 2007 CRV?