AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   1G RDX (2007-2012) (https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-rdx-2007-2012-147/)
-   -   2007 RDX turbo (https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-rdx-2007-2012-147/2007-rdx-turbo-979441/)

A C 05-10-2019 11:01 AM

2007 RDX turbo

Check engine light is on .Couple codes co2 code transmission code and heat code.What should I doMy mechanic suggest to change whole turbo ,I need second opinion

1killercls 05-10-2019 11:18 AM

AC ..You know there is a whole section devoted to your car on this forum. I know, crazy huh! :troutslap:

ttribe 05-10-2019 11:21 AM

MODERATOR NOTE: Thread moved to model specific forum.

Tomtwtwtw 05-10-2019 11:42 AM

Get a list of the actual codes car is throwing, describe in as much detail any other symptoms you're experiencing, and the folks here can do their best to give you that 2nd opinion.

CSmoney28 05-10-2019 08:32 PM

Go to auto-zone, get pictures of the codes it’s throwing they’ll read them for free, and post the pictures up.

kevin2m4 05-10-2019 11:03 PM

whats the code? is it p2263?

kevin2m4 05-10-2019 11:10 PM

mechanics call turbos a lot for the turbo code, which may be caused by slack in the waste-gate actuator, not knowing it is replaceable, or even adjustable. ive seen the code go away from just moving the nut on the arm a few turns until the slack is out.

Dtheod 05-15-2019 11:12 PM

Your mechanic is an idiot !

Do you have any transmission slipping? Besides the check engine light being on? If you have slipping, flush out the transmission fluid, and refill. There is a refill bolt to remove and refill. Do not refill it from the dipstick. Or it will take you an hour. Replace the 3 transmission pressure switches. Then disconnect the negative side of the battery for 5 minutes. This will clear all the old codes. The car should be fine then. I would disconnect the negative battery terminal first. After 5 min, put it back on, start and drive. If no light comes back, it was an old code. Of it comes back on and you have trans slipping, follow the directions above. Make sure you only use Acura trans fluid. From the dealer. Acura are very sensitive to other trans fluids.

fordstick 07-23-2022 11:21 AM

Where is the hose that moves the wastegate actuator? I have a compressor but I am not sure where the hose from the actuator goes so I can test the up/down movement. Thanks!

Dtheod 07-23-2022 07:00 PM

Acura RDX

There are two actuators on the turbo. The one on the top is usually the one that goes bad. I would not waste my time testing it. Because just because it goes up and down does not mean it works as it should. The computer is sensetive in Acura’s. If the actuator isnt putting out the correct PSI, it throws on the SHAWD light along with the check engine light. Tell me what is going on with the car in detail, how many miles? Any smoke coming out of the tailpipe?

DaIll1 07-23-2022 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by A C (Post 16424330)
Check engine light is on .Couple codes co2 code transmission code and heat code.What should I doMy mechanic suggest to change whole turbo ,I need second opinion

Just so you know, Acura doesn't sell the actuator or the bolt needed if it is worn, so most mechanics will say you must replace the turbo. You can buy the bolt on eBay or both complete actuators on aliexpress for a few bucks more. The P2263 code triggers a bunch of warning lights.

Dtheod 07-24-2022 08:21 AM

How many miles are on the car? Year? Give me all the code numbers?

Dtheod 07-24-2022 08:23 AM

Is the transmission shifting properly?

1rdxbandit 03-17-2023 03:53 PM

Hi,

there are very few mechanics that specialize on the rdx in Southern Ontario, My issue was not the turbo at all.

I can't remember if I had the code on this thread or not. It has been awhile.

My issue was relate to 1 spark plug, in the process of troubleshooting i bought two coilpacks and that was money down the drain.

Weeks prior to the issue manifesting itself. I had replaced all sparks plugs, with new iridium plugs, the root cause of the problem was that the arch in one spark plug had disintegrate and completely blown off.

During the time I bought a new turbo however never installed it.

2 coilpacks my original coilpacks were good.

My suggestion to anyone reading this thread, is that you check your spark plugs and look for visible vacuum line cracks or tears.

Dtheod 03-17-2023 06:11 PM

Re: RDX

Originally Posted by 1rdxbandit (Post 16876472)
Hi,

there are very few mechanics that specialize on the rdx in Southern Ontario, My issue was not the turbo at all.

My issue was relate to 1 spark plug, in the process of troubleshooting i bought two coilpacks and that was money down the drain.

Weeks prior to the issue manifesting itself. I had replaced all sparks plugs, with new iridium plugs, the root cause of the problem was that the arch in one spark plug had disintegrate and completely blown off.

My suggestion to anyone reading this thread, is that you check your spark plugs and look for visible vacuum line cracks or tears.

That happens with the spark plugs, however why did it happen? It happened because one of the cylinders mis-fired, which caused the ceramic end of the spark plug to explode and fall off. Which makes your car have significant loss of power. Now lets get to the why it happened…because of the turbo. The RDX engine works with a turbo. If its not getting the proper boost, because the actuator is under boosting. Which is usually the case, it makes the engine work differently and harder then it is designed to. Hence, causing spark plugs to over heat and detonate. Your problem appears to be spark plug related. And it is, however the root of why it happened was not solved. It will happen again. All RDX’s start having turbo problems between 140K miles and up. Some don’t wear out too bad and you can still go till 165/175K miles before replacing the actuator. You do not need to replace the entire turbo unless its making a grinding noise, or smoking. Just the turbo actuator needs replacing.

vtyou 04-04-2023 07:32 AM

Hi,

Do you have any mechanics you recommend that specialize in the RDX in Toronto/GTA?

amobofone 05-28-2023 09:42 PM

Do you still happen to have the turbo you bought but didn't use? Will it work on a 2009 RDX?

amobofone 06-04-2023 08:20 PM

Hi,

Do you still have the turbo you didn't use, was it rebuilt or new?

1rdxbandit 06-08-2023 04:05 PM

Unfortunately, I do not have the turbo anymore.

I suggest you check the autoweckers, pic n save for instance, run a query on kijiji.

There hamilton location has a few rdx's.

Or Kenny u pull. Check out their website before going.

Do you know for sure the turbo is the issue.

Just wondering what troubleshooting was done to determine, the turbo is the root cause.

I owned the rdx for about 8 years, never heard of rdxs having turbo issues.

Yes; I am aware of the lever thar wears out. Luckily I never had the issue.

Other suggestion is that u check the coilpacks and sparks.