3.70%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Purchasing an RDX?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 08:49 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Purchasing an RDX?

Who is seriously planning to purchase/lease an RDX?

If it was available when my wife needed a new car, this would have been our first choice. She wanted an X3 but I held her off with a new CRV until the RDX is released. I won't make the same mistake (TSX) and buy a first year model run though...will probably buy an '08.

We don't need the towing capability or storage of a large SUV, so if the RDX is all that it appears - it will be near perfect for our needs unless something crazy happens...
Old 12-12-2005, 11:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, it's really hard to say for certain that I will absolutely, positively buy an RDX but I'm leaning that way.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:49 AM
Hondaholic

I'll be spending some time over here, because right now it appears that an RDX will replace my wife's Ody when her lease is up.....
Old 12-13-2005, 02:10 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb It is impossible to say....

....anything right now without knowing any details of the powertrain!! (although I voted that I would buy the RDX - I'm assuming it will come with a V6).

As far as I'm concerned the RDX is a virtual lock for me (I've decided 100% to buy it) provided it comes with a V6 (or better )....that is EXTREMELY impportant, and will be the crucial and ONLY deciding factor.

If it comes with anything like a NA four-banger or a turbo 4 or whatever ALL BETS ARE OFF. Even the new RAV4 has a 269-horse 3.5L V6 for cryin out loud!!! .....Besides that unknown, the RDX has exactly what I want in an SUV, and I can pretty much figure out what else will show up, as far as features go, from what Acura has released lately on models like the TL etc. (basically a "mini MDX" )
Old 12-13-2005, 04:37 PM
Racer

Too early to tell

Too early to tell, need the following:

1) Need to see the RDX in person, if it's true to the concept...great!!
2) Need to see some specs/features, it has to be fit my needs of course.
3) Need to see the $$$$
4) Need to see the 2007 CRV redesign and compare it to the RDX. I don't want to pay an extra $5,000. for the Acura nameplate to get essentially the same vehicle.

Luckily I can wait for the results to all of the above, I'm in no rush after all my Accord still has less than 100,000 miles (98 Accord 85000miles & counting).
Old 12-13-2005, 05:39 PM
Instructor

Cool

Originally Posted by 98AccordEx
Too early to tell, need the following:

1) Need to see the RDX in person, if it's true to the concept...great!!
2) Need to see some specs/features, it has to be fit my needs of course.
3) Need to see the $$$$
Like I said above really don't need to see anything, except what's under the hood. If it's a V6, then I'm sold!!

4) Need to see the 2007 CRV redesign and compare it to the RDX. I don't want to pay an extra $5,000. for the Acura nameplate to get essentially the same vehicle.
Really won't work for me because one of the BIGGEST reasons for me to get this vehicle is to get that AWESOME Honda/Acura Nav system with the XM NAVTRAFFIC as in the RL.....I'm willing to pay any amount of money to get an ACURA NAV SYSTEM .....there's nothing even REMOTELY CLOSE to a Honda/Acura Nav system, OEM or AFTERMARKET

....again the only reason I might even look at a CRV is, if the CRV ends up getting a V6 option and the RDX doesn't ....can you imagine how ludicrous that would be??

Luckily I can wait for the results to all of the above, I'm in no rush after all my Accord still has less than 100,000 miles (98 Accord 85000miles & counting).
Absolutely agree with you there ....my 2000 LS 400 has just a tick over 50K miles on it and I just installed the Alpine NVE-N872A Nav system to tide me through the next couple years or more (one guy in the Lexus magazine had driven his '90 LS 555,000 miles without any major problems )....besides, I would never get a first year model, even it is a Honda/Acura!!....maybe in it's second or third year, once the bugs are all worked out!!
Old 12-13-2005, 10:28 PM
Racer

I'm planning on getting one to replace my 03 MDX although it won't be a first year model, I've learned my lesson.

Agree with the earlier poster on the Acura/Honda nav system, just purchased an 06 TSX with nav and it's incredible, main reason I would get rid of the (non-navi) MDX which has otherwise been flawless.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:55 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by vicpai
Like I said above really don't need to see anything, except what's under the hood. If it's a V6, then I'm sold!!

Really won't work for me because one of the BIGGEST reasons for me to get this vehicle is to get that AWESOME Honda/Acura Nav system with the XM NAVTRAFFIC as in the RL.....I'm willing to pay any amount of money to get an ACURA NAV SYSTEM .....there's nothing even REMOTELY CLOSE to a Honda/Acura Nav system, OEM or AFTERMARKET

....again the only reason I might even look at a CRV is, if the CRV ends up getting a V6 option and the RDX doesn't ....can you imagine how ludicrous that would be??
So what if the CRV ends up with the V6 from the Accord as an option and the Navi option from the Civic???

..of course I'm just speculating.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:22 PM
Advanced

I have already talked to my Salesmen about putting a deposit down Wife would like to be the first one in San Antonio to be driving one
Old 12-17-2005, 04:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To be honest, I'm not buying any of those - RX330 - yes. If I had to choose between those I'd go X3. Mainly because it would be the first model year.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:45 PM
Intermediate

the real car won't be anything like the car show concept = they never are. A car show is the place to show concept car but I do not think it is apropriate to show the concept car crap on acura.com. I'll bet the seats aren't available in orange and the steering wheel looks nothing like the concept.

I personally think it is ugly and looks like several others cars than have the "shoe look" to them. Acura has borrowed old design to compete with similar cars which are now becomming old themselves. I'm not impressed.

THe RL is now officially boring and I won't be surprised if the RDX suffers a similar fate.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:33 PM
Instructor

Lightbulb As far as the RL goes....

......I think it's a FANTASTIC vehicle in virtually all respects, except for the fact that it needs MORE FRIGGIN POWER...what were these dammed people at Honda thinking .....it's got close to 4100lbs of weight to carry, it's got that POWER SAPPING SH-AWD, and they stick a gutless 3.5L V6 in there???...go figure .....I know Honda has always been deadset against a V8, but they could've at least put a LARGER DISPLACEMENT V6 in there that produced 30 to 40 more lb.ft. of torque to move this heavy beast in a way worthy of it's FLAGSHIP status. Remember, we're not talking a mid-range model here, but Acura's absolute TOP-OF-THE-LINE vehicle.....and that's why it's so important!!

With everything else, they HIT THE NAIL RIGHT ON THE HEAD!!!!!!:
The biggest praise goes to them for making it SHORTER!! (Honda deserves a GOLD MEDAL just for this, or maybe even the NOBEL PEACE PRIZE!!! )...that was a very brave move to not give in to the stupid American mentality of supersizing everything, and ruining it in the process ....look what Toyota did to the new RAV4 .....and then, the RLs got possibly the best interior and features of any vehicle at ANY PRICE, period!!....I've not heard a better sound system than the one in the new TL and RL, OEM or aftermarket....and don't get me started on the Nav system...Honda's Navi is the ONLY one out there that's worth calling a Nav system!!....everything else sucks big time!!
Old 01-01-2006, 02:15 PM
I'm a llama :(

Actually Acura's flagship is the NSX. j/k.

I don't understand what Honda is doing with the RL. It needs that Modulo front bumper and 18" wheels. That alone would make it at least LOOK like it could be a $50k car. But maybe they leaving room for an update. And it needs more power. 0-60 in 7 some odd seconds is not good enough for a luxury car. I like the size, but I think it doesn't look stately enough to be a flagship sedan. I mean, it's the same size as the TL.
Old 01-11-2006, 04:35 PM
I feel the need...

I got a chance to get up close at the auto show today.

1. Appears smaller than the current gen CRV, at least by interior volume and ride height.

2. Front end looks a little busy, but final production version may be cleaned up.

3. Couldn't see the interior - it wasn't open. But judging by the brochure and pics I've seen it's a home run.

4. PRICE??? My guess is that they'll move the next gen MDX further upscale so it will be a miracle if we see a base price below 30k. I'm hoping MSRP will be $31,995 without navi.
Old 01-11-2006, 04:53 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by PistonFan
I got a chance to get up close at the auto show today.

1. Appears smaller than the current gen CRV, at least by interior volume and ride height.
Was the Mazda CX-7 also there, which seemed larger??

2. Front end looks a little busy, but final production version may be cleaned up.
The front is growing on me, I like the concept better but this looks fine to me now.

3. Couldn't see the interior - it wasn't open. But judging by the brochure and pics I've seen it's a home run.
There's a brochure, can you scan it for the rest of us?
Old 01-11-2006, 11:12 PM
I may be fat but I'm slow

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
It's going to come down to one of three choices for me...
1. '08/'09 TSX, which will hopefully have a similar drivetrain to the RDX
2. RDX
3. Keep my '04 TSX and buy an '02-'03 S2000

Probably going to be either 1 or 3, gotta see where life's at and what Acura has done to the 2g TSX...but if I end up in Chicago like I plan on, I might need some AWD.

For now, I love my '04.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:27 AM
My bolonga has a 1st name

rav4? who in the hell would cross shop these two? i dont care if they're similar in power... this is like comparing a jetta to a TSX to me... they're just in two differen leagues.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:29 AM
My bolonga has a 1st name

Originally Posted by HondaGuy347
It's going to come down to one of three choices for me...
1. '08/'09 TSX, which will hopefully have a similar drivetrain to the RDX
2. RDX
3. Keep my '04 TSX and buy an '02-'03 S2000

Probably going to be either 1 or 3, gotta see where life's at and what Acura has done to the 2g TSX...but if I end up in Chicago like I plan on, I might need some AWD.

For now, I love my '04.
you and i are in the exact same mind set...

except option 4 for me is if my current business venture works out, i might be going for that new G35 coupe that makes drool uncontrolably everyime i see it.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:51 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by 97AcuraCL
rav4? who in the hell would cross shop these two? i dont care if they're similar in power... this is like comparing a jetta to a TSX to me... they're just in two differen leagues.
Bad anology dude, the TSX has been in two comparisons against the Jetta GLI in the past two months - Edmunds and Car & Driver. It lost both!! The Car & Driver comparison also included the V6 Accord 6-spd and it too beat the TSX.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:24 PM
I feel the need...

Was the Mazda CX-7 also there, which seemed larger??

The front is growing on me, I like the concept better but this looks fine to me now.

There's a brochure, can you scan it for the rest of us?

Actually, I totally forgot about the CX-7, not a big fan of the styling - sorry.

As for the brochure, I should have defined it better - it's more like a 8 1/2" X 17" marketing slick folded into three sections. Nothing new in it, same pics which are widely available and no new information other than what's already known:

Features
2.3 liter, 240 hp DOHC i-VTEC Turbo
Super Handling All-Wheel Drive
F1 style paddle shifters
Acura Nav System w/ Voice Recognition
HandsFreeLink
AcuraLink satellite comm system w/ real-time traffic
Acura/ELS Surround
ACE body structure
VSA w/ traction control
Xenon (HID) headlights *NOT bi-xenon
available summer 2006

If you still want me to scan it, I will.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:01 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

it comes down to the specs for the 2nd gen TSX; if it has awd and a 2.3T 4-cyl then that will be my next car, otherwise i will get a RDX.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:05 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Bad anology dude, the TSX has been in two comparisons against the Jetta GLI in the past two months - Edmunds and Car & Driver. It lost both!! The Car & Driver comparison also included the V6 Accord 6-spd and it too beat the TSX.
And yet, the TSX is still one of the Car & Driver 10Best along with still being universally lauded by the automotive press. So those two recent articles aren't exactly telling the whole story, are they?
Old 01-12-2006, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
And yet, the TSX is still one of the Car & Driver 10Best along with still being universally lauded by the automotive press. So those two recent articles aren't exactly telling the whole story, are they?
The explanation given by C/D was that subjectively, the TSX tests extremely well, thus it won Ten Best. However, objectively, the TSX lags behind the Jetta in almost every performance category, and their comparos are weighted on the objective side.

IMO, it's pretty much a moot point, because the Jetta and TSX are on alternating generations. When I bought my TSX in '04, the last-gen Jetta was out, and it wasn't as good (and was a sorority girl/teeny bopper/metrosexual favorite, ruling it out for me). Now the new Jetta is out, and the TSX is in the middle of it's lifespan, so the Jetta has leapt ahead. I won't be ready to buy a new car until the new TSX is out, at which point it will probably leap back ahead of the Jetta, since it will be in the middle of it's life cycle.

Besides, my family and I have had so many good experiences with Acura and Honda products, that I don't see myself switching brands.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:54 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
so far im liking it alot but i will wait until the audi Q5 and infiniti cx comes out first
Old 01-13-2006, 05:59 AM
Racer

The explanation given by C/D was that subjectively, the TSX tests extremely well, thus it won Ten Best. However, objectively, the TSX lags behind the Jetta in almost every performance category, and their comparos are weighted on the objective side.

IMO, it's pretty much a moot point, because the Jetta and TSX are on alternating generations. When I bought my TSX in '04, the last-gen Jetta was out, and it wasn't as good (and was a sorority girl/teeny bopper/metrosexual favorite, ruling it out for me). Now the new Jetta is out, and the TSX is in the middle of it's lifespan, so the Jetta has leapt ahead. I won't be ready to buy a new car until the new TSX is out, at which point it will probably leap back ahead of the Jetta, since it will be in the middle of it's life cycle.

Besides, my family and I have had so many good experiences with Acura and Honda products, that I don't see myself switching brands.
All good points, hopefully the next gen TSX will be the Sports$concept with a modified 2.3Lturbo good for 260HP & 240torque. That TSX will spank the Jetta and cause even more 3series owners to switch. Of course while the Jetta won those comparisons they cannot match reliability, style, luxury of the TSX and I too would recommend it over the Jetta.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:14 PM
Cruisin'

I am leasing a Nissan Murano now and plan to purchase an RDX when they are available.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:49 PM
Intermediate

RDX Specs

Directly from Acura website (yes, RDX is officially on ACura's website).

turbo charged 4 cylinder, 240 hoursepower, SH-AWD system.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:58 PM

Two quick impressions:
1. I see they are giving up the touch screen for that joystick thing...

2. No manaul tranny mentioned.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
Two quick impressions:
1. I see they are giving up the touch screen for that joystick thing...

2. No manaul tranny mentioned.
1. If it is like the RL's system, I believe that you will find the voice activated Nav system even easier than using touch screen. For those who don't like the voice activation, the control dial is very easy and intuitive to use.
2. Because the RDX is moving upscale, a manual tranny is unlikely. The paddle shifters are a lot of fun to use when you are in a sporty mood and they actually do improve the performance of the car. Several car mags produced better 0-60 times with the RL using the paddles than leaving it in "Drive". The standard "Drive" setting is programmed to produce smooth acceleration and is less performance oriented whereas the paddle shifters allow you to choose your shift points for maximum performance (with visions of Senna, Prost, Button and Barrichello dancing in your head).
Old 01-14-2006, 02:06 PM
Cruisin'

Buying A Rdx

I am the Internet Sales Manager @ Acura of South Bay in Torrance California.
First I will say that we are already getting people coming in saying they want the first RDX we get. This is going to be a hot car and will definitely require being on a waiting list. If you are interested in purchasing an RDX send me an email and I will update you with info. We have not yet started a waiting list but it will be coming soon.

Lea

rigol@autonation.com
Old 01-14-2006, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by hondamore
1. If it is like the RL's system, I believe that you will find the voice activated Nav system even easier than using touch screen. For those who don't like the voice activation, the control dial is very easy and intuitive to use.
2. Because the RDX is moving upscale, a manual tranny is unlikely. The paddle shifters are a lot of fun to use when you are in a sporty mood and they actually do improve the performance of the car. Several car mags produced better 0-60 times with the RL using the paddles than leaving it in "Drive". The standard "Drive" setting is programmed to produce smooth acceleration and is less performance oriented whereas the paddle shifters allow you to choose your shift points for maximum performance (with visions of Senna, Prost, Button and Barrichello dancing in your head).
Maybe the RL is better, but I almost NEVER use my TSX's voice activation, except for "Find nearest ________" and "Go Home." Everything else is quicker with the touchscreen. Maybe the joystick isn't bad, but I think the touchscreen is the most intuitive way.

As for a manual, I am not really interested in a manual, or in paddle shifters. I put my TSX in drive and off I go. I just dont want to hear everyone else's bleatings about not being able to get a manual, I bet they are as bad as the whinning about FWD for the TSX.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:59 AM
HEK
Team Nighthawk Mambo King

Originally Posted by LannyM
I'll be spending some time over here, because right now it appears that an RDX will replace my wife's Ody when her lease is up.....
I'm not leasing my wife's '05 Ody but we were looking into the Ridgeline and a friend of mine who also likes Hondas told us to hold off and keep an eye out for the RDX...anyway I'll be around too
Old 01-21-2006, 12:17 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Red face Buying the RL

My real desire was the SH-AWD for Montana winters and thought that if the RDX was up to the task I'd seriously consider it, but I have a 4WD pickup for hauling and since it appears that the turbo 4 in the RDX won't be good for MPG and the friend that saw the RDX in Detroit said he didn't sit much higher than in his RL, I decided to buy the RL (besides the fact that I got a killer deal).

Thanks to everyone for their great opinions, insights and guesses. I'm sorry that I got people stirred up with my post talking about pictures at the show when I really should have put a question mark in the thread line.

I hope that the RDX turns out to be the perfect car for all that want it.

Bye

Ben
Old 01-25-2006, 08:52 PM
I feel the need...

Originally Posted by Infamous425
so far im liking it alot but i will wait until the audi Q5 and infiniti cx comes out first

When are those models coming out?
Old 01-25-2006, 09:31 PM
Racer

Infiniti CX I believe is supposed to be out next year as an '08. Not sure about the Q5.
Old 01-27-2006, 03:42 PM
Cruisin'

Has anybody actually placed an order or left a deposit yet? If so, are dealers willing to negotiate on price? Or are people expecting to pay full MSRP?
Old 01-27-2006, 04:16 PM
Advanced

Thumbs up I signed up!

Put a deposit down at dealer in Chicago.

Dealer logged it as MSRP + Destination. No price discussions or expected. Don't expect ANY dealing to happen.

Asked what color, I said "what colors?", he laughed and said put down anything. I said White.

I am #12 in line at this dealer and they said delivery in May (yea, right).
Old 01-27-2006, 07:28 PM
10th Gear

Wink

Originally Posted by 1092
Put a deposit down at dealer in Chicago.

Dealer logged it as MSRP + Destination. No price discussions or expected. Don't expect ANY dealing to happen.

Asked what color, I said "what colors?", he laughed and said put down anything. I said White.

I am #12 in line at this dealer and they said delivery in May (yea, right).
Not unless you are a member of Costco...
Old 01-28-2006, 04:48 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by louiswei
Not unless you are a member of Costco...
I am a member of Costco. Would going through their Auto Buying program make a difference? I have never used them in the past because I've always been able to negotiate a good price on my own.
Old 01-29-2006, 12:25 PM
Cape Breton Type-S

With out a doubt i will be getting the RDX...who cares if its first production year...platform ...tranny and powertrain has been proven...and its Honda/Acura....i have an A-spec now and have put my preorder deposit on one already.....

Quick Reply: Purchasing an RDX?