Proud new owner of a 2008 RDX!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 03:42 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Proud new owner of a 2008 RDX!!

Hi everyone!

I pulled the trigger on a 2008 carbon bronze pearl RDX AWD SH. I absolutely love this car!. I currently own my baby which is a 03 Honda S2000 and needed a daily again since I sold my 2010 Mazda 3 (horrible car). I love the sporty feel that this RDX has. I bought mine for 14,500 with 64k on the dash. They also gave me a 3 year 36,000 warranty and it's from my local Acura dealership. What do you guys think about that price? Do you guys recommend anything to do with this much miles maintenance wise? I was thinking about flushing all fluids and replacing them with new fluid and maybe spark plugs. The Acura dealership did do oil changes and new tires but I don't believe they did much else. Your thoughts and opinions on my car are greatly appreciated and I'm glad to be part of the RDX family!

Old 09-24-2015, 08:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally Posted by adrian_s2k
Hi everyone!

I pulled the trigger on a 2008 carbon bronze pearl RDX AWD SH. I absolutely love this car!. I currently own my baby which is a 03 Honda S2000 and needed a daily again since I sold my 2010 Mazda 3 (horrible car). I love the sporty feel that this RDX has. I bought mine for 14,500 with 64k on the dash. They also gave me a 3 year 36,000 warranty and it's from my local Acura dealership. What do you guys think about that price? Do you guys recommend anything to do with this much miles maintenance wise? I was thinking about flushing all fluids and replacing them with new fluid and maybe spark plugs. The Acura dealership did do oil changes and new tires but I don't believe they did much else. Your thoughts and opinions on my car are greatly appreciated and I'm glad to be part of the RDX family!

Congrats! Looks beautiful. Not a tech though right? I would say its a fair price for a non-tech, but good price if tech.

I just got my 07 with tech 2 weeks ago and love it. I really make it work to be in my garage, can't lie, poor thing gets run HARD, and she delivers! The only thing that really bothers me, is that the SH-AWD really takes ALOT of effort to get it to activate. I had a 2016 loaner MDX while they were "fixing" my steering and the ShAWD activated at every stop sign and every mild curve. I understand the RDX is much more nimble, but there are MANY times where I expect it to activate and it doesn't.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:16 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Congrats on the new ride!

Any mods planned now or down the road? OEM parts like front spoiler, roof rack, side steps are getting harder to find at a decent price. I don't think they are making them or they are in very short supply.

I've notice my 11 MDX has more rear bias and it also activate on almost any turn of the wheel more than 45 degrees. It is a strange feeling when driving up a steep hill and the MDX switches from fwd to mostly rwd. It was so cool, it made me look for more dirt road hills to climb. I pretty much have to drive like a bat out of hell to get the RDX sh-awd to move more than one blip on the rear outside wheel on the dash indicator. I wish I could copy/paste the same sh-awd program from my MDX into my RDX.
Old 09-25-2015, 12:01 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks Rx10. Congratulations on your rdx too!. I didn't get the tech package because I was focused on getting a car with low miles and for some reason all the tech ones in my area were high mileage. Plus I don't see my self using the gps at all since I use my waze phone app. I haven't really got time yet to take the car to any twisties to see how the sh awd handles. I am very interested in seeing how it holds up.
Old 09-25-2015, 12:07 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by mrgold35

Any mods planned now or down the road? OEM parts like front spoiler, roof rack, side steps are getting harder to find at a decent price. I don't think they are making them or they are in very short supply.

I've notice my 11 MDX has more rear bias and it also activate on almost any turn of the wheel more than 45 degrees. It is a strange feeling when driving up a steep hill and the MDX switches from fwd to mostly rwd. It was so cool, it made me look for more dirt road hills to climb. I pretty much have to drive like a bat out of hell to get the RDX sh-awd to move more than one blip on the rear outside wheel on the dash indicator. I wish I could copy/paste the same sh-awd program from my MDX into my RDX.
Thanks!. Yes I do plan on getting the side steps, aftermarket intake, hondata reflash, and roof rack. I haven't seen what the spoiler looks like yet. is the sh awd system different throughout the years? I really had no idea how the rdx sh awd took so much to get out of it.
Old 09-25-2015, 01:52 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I had pretty good luck with Hondata, Hondata heatshield gasket, K/N drop-in filter, and ETS intercooler. I had Eibach springs for about 5 years; but, took them off when I needed to replace my worn OEM struts/shocks (back to OEM ride height).

This is an older pic of my 08; but, this what it looks like with the OEM front lip, side molding, roof rack, rear diffuser+hidden 2" hitch with no harness. The hitch only takes 10 mins with a second set of hands and really comes in handy if you have bike(s).

Name:  DSCF4271.jpg
Views: 25733
Size:  110.8 KB
Name:  2014-06-11114954_zps088a5579.jpg
Views: 25969
Size:  1.67 MB
Old 09-25-2015, 03:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Yeah the 2016 I drove activated even on mild turns, like you say, it takes me driving like a mad person, trying to roll over to get my rdx to engage the rear wheels more than 1 blip, I have driven pretty crazy too.

I think it is more based on 2 things, one that the rdx is leans less and therefore the sensors that engage shawd in curves are less activated? Or two, the steering in the rdx is tighter and therefore the sensors that pick up steering angle are not activated?

The RDX handles good, I cannot deny that, but my older 2004 touareg handled as good, in some cases even better and it didn't even have shawd....really think acura should have programmed it like they did the mdx.

I have a theory though, VW has a haldex control unit on their fwd biased awd systems and changing that control unit can drastically change the power split. So do the mdx and rdx also have that box or something similar? It could be as simple as unscrewing a few bolts and replacing the control unit. I wish the rdx had a following like the rest of hondas products, I bet something would have come up. Maybe a search in the tl forums would help?
Old 09-27-2015, 08:34 AM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Congrats from another RDX/s2k owner! The two really make the perfect combo.

While the RDX isn't nearly as fun as the s, it's still a blast for what it is.
Attached Thumbnails Proud new owner of a 2008 RDX!!-autocros.jpg  
Old 09-27-2015, 11:24 AM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Jdrum1

Yes indeed! Congrats OP from another S2000 & 2008 RDX owner!

Some folks complain about the harsh ride of the 1st Gen RDX (mostly 2nd Gen owners) but after a couple of hours in my S2000, the RDX feels like pure comfort - smooth and quiet!
Old 09-28-2015, 03:41 PM
Cruisin'

I had pretty good luck with Hondata, Hondata heatshield gasket, K/N drop-in filter, and ETS intercooler. I had Eibach springs for about 5 years; but, took them off when I needed to replace my worn OEM struts/shocks (back to OEM ride height).

This is an older pic of my 08; but, this what it looks like with the OEM front lip, side molding, roof rack, rear diffuser+hidden 2" hitch with no harness. The hitch only takes 10 mins with a second set of hands and really comes in handy if you have bike(s).

Glad to hear Hondata is treating you good! Now I'm set on getting it. Yup I everything you have on your car haha. I wanted to start biking some trails so good to know that the hitch is useful.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:44 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Jdrum1

Yes I have fellow S2000 owners ! yea they really are a perfect combo. All week I drive the rdx and love it but when the weekend comes around its time to bring out the babygirl.

Lets see your S!
Old 09-28-2015, 03:50 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Kaputnik
Yes indeed! Congrats OP from another S2000 & 2008 RDX owner!

Some folks complain about the harsh ride of the 1st Gen RDX (mostly 2nd Gen owners) but after a couple of hours in my S2000, the RDX feels like pure comfort - smooth and quiet!
Nice.. love meeting new S2000 owners!. Harsh ride? not for me, I feel like mine is smooth as can be. Probably because I drove the S2000 all the time haha. I recently drive 220 miles to and through New York City and I don't have not one complaint about the RDX. Love both of my rides
Old 09-29-2015, 08:22 AM
RDXing

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Congrats! Good price.
Old 09-29-2015, 03:06 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Congrats! That is low miles.
Old 10-03-2015, 02:08 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Congrats! I still have my 2008 Tech which I bought new and still lovin' it. Only issue has been the A/C clutch and coil which Acura replaced free of charge even though I was beyond the (extended) warranty period.
Old 10-30-2015, 02:55 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Last Acura
Congrats! Good price.
Thanks! I had a feeling I got a good deal
Old 10-30-2015, 02:56 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by hhrdx08
Congrats! That is low miles.
Thanks!. I almost got a white one with 87k on the dash for the same price. Glad I didn't even though I love me a white RDX!
Old 10-30-2015, 02:59 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by cheffip
Congrats! I still have my 2008 Tech which I bought new and still lovin' it. Only issue has been the A/C clutch and coil which Acura replaced free of charge even though I was beyond the (extended) warranty period.
Nice! I really regretting I didn't get the tech package when I park in the city . But other than the back up camera I love my car. I'm noticing that the only issue I have is my driver side headlight has condensation. Which wasn't the case at the dealership of course.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:30 PM
3rd Gear

Congrats! I just bought a 2009 tech RDX and I love it! I did have a third party mechanic come to inspect it before purchasing and I have the same issue with the condensation in the driver's side headlight. He told me that it's likely that not everything was screwed back in tight enough after replacing a headlight.

Did you ever get it fixed? I love to DIY so I may look into it this weekend.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by kittyglitter
Congrats! I just bought a 2009 tech RDX and I love it! I did have a third party mechanic come to inspect it before purchasing and I have the same issue with the condensation in the driver's side headlight. He told me that it's likely that not everything was screwed back in tight enough after replacing a headlight.

Hello and welcome to the forum, why not start a new thread and show us some pics! Lol even though I clearly seen rdx's hundreds of times, it is always fun seeing other members' Rdx's. What color is yours?

I vaguely remember a trick where you put the headlight in dry rice in a bag overnight and the rice absorbs the moisture out of the headlight (of course you must open the caps in the back of the headlight).
The following users liked this post:
kittyglitter (11-23-2015)
Old 11-23-2015, 12:28 PM
3rd Gear

I'll post pictures soon. We actually lost our house in the recent central Texas floods... it turned out to be a blessing because I got to upgrade to the RDX and got out of my nightmare of a Toyota Prius. Once we get settled in a little more I'll post pics and if we do the headlight thing I'll be sure to post pics of that too. Thanks
Old 11-23-2015, 01:23 PM
Suzuka Master

I'll post pictures soon. We actually lost our house in the recent central Texas floods... it turned out to be a blessing because I got to upgrade to the RDX and got out of my nightmare of a Toyota Prius. Once we get settled in a little more I'll post pics and if we do the headlight thing I'll be sure to post pics of that too. Thanks
Oh. I am so sorry to hear that and glad everyone was alright. Sometimes in life things are awful but really blessings. Only we do not see it.

Take your time and give us pics when you can!
Old 11-24-2015, 10:36 AM
FLETCH

Received 146 Likes on 108 Posts
so how far down the rabbit hole are you going to go?
Old 01-12-2016, 04:25 PM
Cruisin'

Sorry about you're house. Congrats on the RDX!. I haven't tried to fix the headlight problem yet, but by summer time I will attempt to do the oven trick. I'm sure there are DIY's online for it.