Price...

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 06:57 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Price...

So now we know the specs and how well the RDX equips, what do y'all think the price is going to be?

Although I am mighty impressed with the specs (especially the 260 lb-ft of torque!!) I still believe the basic MSRP (w/o navi) should be around 33,000 and w/navi to be around 35,000. If Acura sets the price to be much higher than those figures, it might hurts RDX's ability to compete with other compact SUVs, what do y'all think?

Man, I sure hope the price for RDX would be lower than the IS350, otherwise that would be a tough decision to make...
Old 01-09-2006, 07:48 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by louiswei
So now we know the specs and how well the RDX equips, what do y'all think the price is going to be?

Although I am mighty impressed with the specs (especially the 260 lb-ft of torque!!) I still believe the basic MSRP (w/o navi) should be around 33,000 and w/navi to be around 35,000. If Acura sets the price to be much higher than those figures, it might hurts RDX's ability to compete with other compact SUVs, what do y'all think?

Man, I sure hope the price for RDX would be lower than the IS350, otherwise that would be a tough decision to make...

I don't know, but I think its gonna be less than 33,000. If H/A is wise, they will price it around 29,000-32,000, IMO.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
The 2003 TL-S was 31,800 (non-navi), and the regular TL was 29,400 (ish). The TSX when it arrived was at 27,400. Everybody thought that was suicide because it was too close to the TL and "only" a 4 cylinder.

Then the All-New 2004 TL came out 6 months later at 33,400 and "restored" the difference.

See any parallels here? I see a 33K RDX like the first poster, and new '07 MDXs starting at 38ish
Old 01-09-2006, 10:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
I think that we should prepare for the worst here and expect 35k in the U.S. and expect 42k for the new MDX. Up here in Canada, we'll get hosed again with a price near $50,000 canadian while the new MDX will arrive near $60,000. Ouch. My thinking here is that Honda/Acura will shoot for the moon like they did with the RL and then they can always give the dealers some leeway to discount if sales don't meet expectations. The RDX and MDX are shooting at a much bigger market than the RL was which is another reason they may jack the price up. While I am expecting the worst as stated above, I am still hoping for the best - ie. the other scenario where Honda/Acura keeps the price reasonable in order to generate greater sales volume in the first year and then slowly raises the price if the demand stays strong. We'll know in a couple of months.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:44 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by louiswei

RDX vs IS350? Boy that is really pushing the segment. IS is a beautiful car though it has a small back seat.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:52 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by zircon
RDX vs IS350? Boy that is really pushing the segment. IS is a beautiful car though it has a small back seat.
I am not trying to compare RDX with IS350, it's just that those are the only 2 on my list for my next car. If the RDX has a lower price, then I probably won't even consider the IS (I am a Honda man). But if both of them are about the same price then it would be a tough choice as I stated earlier.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:27 PM
Pro

Question:
If they just released the specs of the car, and say that it is going to be available summer 2006...

Are car company's accurate when it comes to this information?
and
usually, how far after they release (the type of information we just got) do they come out with the official prices/packages?
Old 01-09-2006, 11:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by hondamore
the other scenario where Honda/Acura keeps the price reasonable in order to generate greater sales volume in the first year and then slowly raises the price if the demand stays strong. We'll know in a couple of months.
Well, that's the dilema isn't it. They are suggesting their sales goals are 36K per year, so too low a price will cause demand to skyrocket resulting in the ever dreaded "gouging".
Old 01-10-2006, 12:13 AM
My bolonga has a 1st name

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'm sure the lowest (i guess non-navi) model will ring in just under 30k... like 29999
Old 01-10-2006, 02:46 PM
Instructor

Talking You guys are in for somewhat of a nasty shock!!

I don't know where you guys are coming up with the 29K etc., but here' a little tidbit I found from the edmunds article:

Acura is being intentionally vague about pricing, admitting only that the RDX will start in the mid-$30,000 range. The X3 starts at $36,800 so we suspect it will be less than that. Expect to see RDXs at dealers next summer.

link below:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=108837

Note that Acura says it will START in the mid 30s.....which means at least 34K or so (if not more) for the base and somewhere in the high 30s for a fully loaded version with NAVI etc.

I'm perfectly fine with this pricing structure and I knew all along what ballpark it was likely to be, but was laughing to myself, earlier, when people on here were speculating in the high 20s and low 30s for fully loaded version

Think about it for a minute: Let's compare it to Acura's own TL - For starters, this is an SUV (SUVs are generally more expensive than cars), it's got SH-AWD, it's got all those goodies like Real Time Traffic, Bluetooth, DVD-Audio etc. etc. etc. and the list goes on......so with all those things over the TL, how in the world is it going to be significantly CHEAPER than the TL?? make any sense??

....and I'm sure the redesigned BASE MDX will start off in the high 30s (something like 38 or 39K) just slighltly above where the fully loaded RDX tops out. The fully loaded MDX will probably top out somewhere in the mid 40s
Old 01-10-2006, 04:17 PM
Instructor

I don't think yopu will have "models " on the RDX. Just like the RL you will have one Model. Acura is really big on not having many options. And in spite of what many people here think many customers liked th fact that the RL had no options.

I would expect 33-35k all inclusive.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:40 PM
Instructor

I have to agree with vicpai. The comparison to TL is apt. Just imagine what TL would cost with realtime traffic/navi and SH-AWD and you have your answer. As much as I wish RDX would end up in the low 30's, I don't think that's happening. My guess is base around 35,000 and then up to 37 or so with navi. They'll still sell all of them.

(X3 starts at 36, but to get one with anywhere near the equip. of this RDX you're well into the 40's, right?)
Old 01-10-2006, 04:46 PM
Racer

My original guesstimate was $32,900 base and 34,300 for touring plus $1500 for navi but the more I look at the specs and its likely competition the more expensive I think it will be. I'm sure Acura will wait till late May to announce pricing for the RDX if sales begin in June. Hopefully the RDX competitors will announce pricing before that forcing Acura to keep the base price lower. Hopefully a comparably equipped Mazda CX-7 will sticker for say $27,500 and keep Acura in check. Mazda should be first with the launch of the CX-7 followed by the Ford Edge and its cousins at Mercury and Lincoln. Without those new vehicles, the RDX compition is really the BMW X3 that starts at $38,000 with a manual, no navi and leatherette. Even a RAV4 V6 with leather, moonroof, side airbags (no navi) stickers around $30,000.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:10 PM
Instructor

The CX-7 will be competition for the next CR-V not RDX.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:04 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Stevens24
The CX-7 will be competition for the next CR-V not RDX.
How can you say that when it has virtually the same engine specs. It's the same displacment and the HP & torque figures are rediculously close. Option it with leather, a moonroof and power everything and the 'paper' differences are minor. With that said, I'm not wasting my money on a FoMoCo/Mazda as the quality just isn't there. Nor is the prestige of an Acura nameplate but that only explains so many dollars difference in price.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:24 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
While the TL comparison appear to make sense, do not forget that the RDX rides on the same platform as the next gen Honda CRV, ie the platform sharing keeps the price down. So while the SH-AWD and techno gadgets will certainly raise its price, looking at it from a TL base-line doesn't make much sense. We should really be looking at it from where a top of the line CRV would end, and add from there.

My guess is 31K.
Old 01-11-2006, 03:01 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by phile
While the TL comparison appear to make sense, do not forget that the RDX rides on the same platform as the next gen Honda CRV, ie the platform sharing keeps the price down. So while the SH-AWD and techno gadgets will certainly raise its price, looking at it from a TL base-line doesn't make much sense.
Ir's worth noting that the platforms (since 2001ish) are three piece modular designs. This is why the CRV which is technically a Civic chassis, gets the Accord engine (2.4 liter). This was not possible on the previous CRV chassis. This does keep costs down, but that is way Honda is profitable. Look for the car to be more than 31K. If it follows the TSX mold, (ie no touring package), I'll go with $33-34k non-Navi and $35-36K with Navi.
Old 01-11-2006, 04:45 AM
Instructor

I hope you're right,phile, even though your avatar is just wrong.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:27 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Up here in Canada, we'll get hosed again with a price near $50,000 canadian while the new MDX will arrive near $60,000.

I hope not

I'm guessing it starts at 42K CAD.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:41 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 98AccordEx
How can you say that when it has virtually the same engine specs. It's the same displacment and the HP & torque figures are rediculously close. Option it with leather, a moonroof and power everything and the 'paper' differences are minor. With that said, I'm not wasting my money on a FoMoCo/Mazda as the quality just isn't there. Nor is the prestige of an Acura nameplate but that only explains so many dollars difference in price.
because you haven't seen the new CR-V, and I seriously doubt Honda will not step up against the RAv4 and Mazda. Mid to high 20s will be the CR-Vs price point.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dom
I hope not

I'm guessing it starts at 42K CAD.
If they split it into navi and non-navi models then the base may start at around 42k but the navi with all the bells and whistles will be 50k. Again, just my guess, I am certainly hoping for a lot less.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:42 AM
3rd Gear

Here's what I see coming for all us RDX fans out there in terms of price...

First, you have to think about where this product will fall in Acura's Product Line. The RDX will be the crossover car for the Acura line placing it's price point right under the MDX and a bit above the TL.

As far as trims, you can expect to make two choices, whether to get the sophisticated navi system ($2,000) and what color you'd like your RDX to be. Simplicity is key.

Acura will strategically wait to drop the MSRP on the market but will surely be competitive with the likes of the BMW X3 and will lure those rav4, cr-V buyers who want to jump up a class into the luxury segment.

Happy Car Shopping to everyone out there.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:24 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Stevens24
because you haven't seen the new CR-V, and I seriously doubt Honda will not step up against the RAv4 and Mazda. Mid to high 20s will be the CR-Vs price point.
I somewhat agree. I can see HMC stepping up the interior of the next CRV as they have the Civic raising it closer to the Accord level. But in improving the CRV, HMC must also maintain the low cost advantage it has now. Pricing it as strictly 20,000+ vehicle eliminates some customers. HMC has been reluctant to do it with the Accord and IMO will also keep the 2WD LX CRV under $20,000. There is room at the top as they found out with the CRV SE which has sold better than expected. With a V6 or turbo engine plus a upgraded interior the CRV could fetch $28,500 and not encroach on the RDX.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:32 AM
Racer

Mazda has announce a base price for the Mazda CX-7 of $23,750. for the 2WD Sport model. There will also be a Grand Touring model and each will have 4WD as an option. Leather will be standard on the GT level.

My guess, adds $1500 for 4wd, $2,000 for GT level, $750 for moonroof for a top level CX-7 price of around $28,000.

I realize Mazda is not a luxury nameplate but with a very similar engine to the RDX, IMHO I think this creates some downward pricing pressure on the RDX.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

The CX-7 pricing will affect the CR-V but not the RDX. The RDX will be a huge step up in luxury and performance (especially handling and road manners). SH-AWD is an amazing technology and once you guys drive it, you will never equate it to any other normal 4WD system again. I'm expecting that he RDX will be a "whole lotta fun" to drive on top of it's long list of luxury features and technological goodies. The bad news is that once you finish your test drive and fall in love with the amazing handling of the RDX, Acura is going to ask you to pay a little extra for all that fun. Then the salesman will mention the world's best crash test results for the RDX and he'll look at your family and ask you to pay a little extra for all that safety. Then you'll find yourself getting used to all those nice little comfort and convenience features in the RDX like the nav system and the amazing DVD-A audio system and they'll ask you to pay a little extra for all that nice, neat and useful stuff.
Prepare yourself for the worst price wise because once you drive the RDX, it's going to be awfully hard to say no to any price.
Old 01-11-2006, 11:21 AM
Racer

I do think that the RDX is going to be a nicer vehicle than the CX-7, and I do think that the RDX is going to be more expensive than the CX-7, but you're crazy if you think people aren't going to be comparing them. As was stated, they have very similar engines, very similar size, many (not all) of the goodies are available on the grand touring CX-7. People are constantly comparing/cross-shopping the Mazda 6 and the TSX, despite the TSX being more expensive and a "luxury" brand... why would that stop now?
Old 01-11-2006, 11:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

I don't disagree that people will compare the two, my point was that the RDX will be in a different class of fit and finish, technology, refinement and features. People can cross shop the top of the line Civic Si with the BMW 3 series and say the the Civic is a better car because it is so much less expensive, has a better nav system etc. but that doesn't put the Civic in the 3 series class. I know this is an extreme analogy, but it makes the point.
Old 01-11-2006, 11:59 AM
3rd Gear

I'm not so much worried about the price of the car, if it's too high people won't buy it and the market will adjust. What concerns me is how fast will dealers be able to deliver them in response to high demand from consumers. Consumers will compare it till their face turns blue, the RDX will capture most who are not constrained by price. Expect a waiting list for this unique vehicle.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:44 PM
Racer

I still like CX-7 exterior but love RD-X interior. RD-X exterior is a bit too busy IMO while CX-7 is clean and slick. Time to trade in the TSX for either one of them.
Old 01-11-2006, 03:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Once you are used to the wonderful ergonomics of the TSX, with every switch and button and knob and handle exactly where it should be, you will feel right at home in the RDX. I shouldn't criticize the CX-7 before I sat in one, but, my friends RX-8 very obviously lacked the same degree of forethought with it's engineering. The fit and finish level of the Mazda's has waned in the past few years as well - I blame it on the Ford influence. Just my
Old 01-11-2006, 03:28 PM
Aint Doing Sh*t

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm sold! I just want to see the price but it willbe tough to part with my TSX.
Old 01-11-2006, 03:30 PM
Racer

Just copy these from MazdaUSA, let see how Acura is going to price RD-X

CX-7 Sports Model MSRP: $24,310
CX-7 AWD Sports Model MSRP: $26,010
CX-7 Touring MSRP: $26,060
CX-7 AWD Touring MSRP: $27,760
CX-7 Grand Touring MSRP: $26,860
CX-7 AWD Grand Touring MSRP: $28,560

Sports
6-spd automatic transmission with Sport Shift
4-wheel ventilated disc brakes with ABS
Stability and traction control systems
18" alloy wheels
Keyless entry
Side air bags and side air curtains

Touring Sport model features plus:
Leather-trimmed interior
8-way power adjustable driver's seat
Heated front seats
Heated side mirrors

Grand Touring Touring model features plus:
GT leather-trimmed interior
Electroluminescent gauges
Automatic climate control
Automatic xenon HID headlights
Old 01-11-2006, 03:33 PM
Racer

Technology Package
$4005

Adv Keyless Entry & Start System
Anti-theft Alarm System
Bose Centerpoint Surround System
In-dash 6-disc Cd Changer
Navigation System W/ Voice Command
Power Moonroof
Rear View Camera

Moonroof/bose/6cd Changer
$1585

Bose Centerpoint Surround System
In-dash 6-disc Cd Changer
Power Moonroof
Old 01-11-2006, 04:28 PM
Racer

$4,005 for the technology package? Ouch!!

That certainly helps to justify a $35,000 + RDX. So much for helping to keep the RDX price in check.

The top of the line CX-7 (Grand Touring with Technology) comes out to $32,565.00

That's a lot for a non-luxury brand but I guess it keeps it competitive against the Subie Tribeca 5-passenger, Nissan Murano, etc.

I guess similar to the Mazda6 vs a TSX, it will be an option for those willing to trade luxury, performance and reliability in order to save some cash.
Old 01-11-2006, 04:57 PM
Racer

Once you are used to the wonderful ergonomics of the TSX, with every switch and button and knob and handle exactly where it should be, you will feel right at home in the RDX.
Actually, I have one *huge* complaint with the interior of my TSX. The instrumentation dimmer switch is such a huge pain in the butt. I use it whenever I turn my lights on but it's not dark enough out to make the gauges very legible unless they're on the bright daylight setting. That happens a lot in the gloomy pacific NW winter... dark enough for headlights, not dark enough to see those gauges. Everytime I have to contort my arm around the steering wheel to change that setting (or god forbid, reach through the steering wheel while driving), i curse a designer at honda somewhere. Overall, very good interior, but that one little thing drives me bonkers, especially when there's some perfectly good real estate down to the left of the steering wheel where most mfg's put that dimmer control.
Old 01-21-2006, 07:53 PM
2nd Gear

My guess on price

My guess based on the prior pricing discussions and my searches through Edmunds is that the price will be along the lines of:

$34.5K - Base
$36.7 - Navigation
$38.2 - Nav + Entertainment
Old 01-22-2006, 01:06 AM
2nd Gear

Reps at the NAIAS today said that as far as they know, base will be $28,000-$32,000... which means more, but certainly not in the 50Ks, even with navi.
Old 01-22-2006, 08:12 AM
'12 TL (prev '04 TSX 6MT)

Originally Posted by jaobrien6
Actually, I have one *huge* complaint with the interior of my TSX. The instrumentation dimmer switch is such a huge pain in the butt. I use it whenever I turn my lights on but it's not dark enough out to make the gauges very legible unless they're on the bright daylight setting. That happens a lot in the gloomy pacific NW winter... dark enough for headlights, not dark enough to see those gauges. Everytime I have to contort my arm around the steering wheel to change that setting (or god forbid, reach through the steering wheel while driving), i curse a designer at honda somewhere. Overall, very good interior, but that one little thing drives me bonkers, especially when there's some perfectly good real estate down to the left of the steering wheel where most mfg's put that dimmer control.
I just leave it on its brightest setting for both day and night driving. My only complaint with that is that there is such a big dropoff in brightness between the highest setting and the second highest setting.
Old 01-22-2006, 05:53 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Looking at the RDX interior I assumed that, like the RL, Navigation would be STANDARD on the RDX.

How are they going to manage that interior without navigation?
Old 01-22-2006, 06:45 PM
Intermediate

Price

If its $28000-$32000, I might just end my lease (TSX) for it.

Quick Reply: Price...