Pre and Post turbo

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 07:34 PM
El Chulo...

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Arrow Pre and Post turbo

Happy New Years to all, Now that the RDXturbo has been out officially for one year. I thought it would be interesting to find out who has owned a turbo-charged vehicle before their purchase or lease or the RDX?

As we all know a turbo-charged engine acts, reacts, and preforms differently then N/A or non-turbo engines. The RDX being turbo was one of the deciding factors for the purchase of my Acura.

If the RDX is your first turbo vehicle would you go turbo agian? Yay or nay?

Paz..
Old 01-04-2008, 08:07 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i wouldn't say i wouldn't ever buy another turbo vehicle, but i am leaning towards not for 2 reasons: lag and noise. i had an audi a4 1.8t before the rdx. the lag is way better on the rdx than my old audi though so maybe the technology is getting better. and since there doesn't seem to be any gas savings from a turbo 4 vs. a V6 (for example), i think i would rather just get a V6. just my $.02.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:37 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
i had 2 civics that were turbo'd (obviously aftermarket) and they hauled ass. with that being said they were a pain in the ass to boot....the rdx isnt even close to either one as far a "pull" but i love the forced induction and that is one of the reasons i got it, compared to a Honda Pilot. i also have owned some serious n/a motors and they spun to around 10K rpm's and were fun too, but you cant beat a turbo. my jet ski has a supercharger on it..
Old 01-05-2008, 11:27 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've never driven a turbo before the RDX so I don't have anything to compare it to. I'm not sure if the issues I have are due to the turbo itself or to the turbo combined with the transmission. I feel that the turbo and AT conflict with each other at times. They seem to get out of synch, where I hit the gas and wait for the boost, but the transmission is shifting down at the same time. The result is some jerkiness and a more pronounced feeling of 'lag'. When I drive in sport mode, this feeling is much less pronounced so maybe it is the turbo combined with the AT.

I love how the RDX flies off the line (I can beat most anything other than a true sports sedan/car), but would be interested in seeing if a n/a 6 would be more consistent in normal driving.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:12 PM
'06 RL Tech

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
I'd have another. I had a modified third gen RX7 that was fun to drive. The RDX is quite different, but fun.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:29 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've had 5 turbo vehicles and I prefer a non-turbo engine if possible. Usually, it's simply better throttle response and a bit more linear.

But what mattered most to me is performance and the RDX outperforms all it's competitors. I still like turbo engines a ton.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:50 PM
El Chulo...

Talking

Turbo = Performance...
Old 01-06-2008, 12:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
As long as you tune it well I don't see anything wrong with turbo. RDX is tuned quite well and im pretty sure with the hondata flash it probably performs better.

After owning the RDX I do find the car is quite hungry for fuel so I would like to see Acura put out a v6 variant of the RDX. (maybe the tl's motor more tuned??)
Old 01-06-2008, 11:52 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a 2007 VW GTI right before the RDX. The GTI was totalled on 11/28/07 due to some idiot not stoppping at a stop sign. I had to get another vehicle in a hurry and I finally narrowed my choices between the CX-7 and RDX. The GTI had APR Stage 2 modifications (software, intake, exhaust, downpipe) with a very quiet intake (Carbonio) and a custom mandrel bent exhaust with a Magnaflow muffler and 2 resonators made by Vibrant Performance. Hence, this vehicle was quiet and had a low growl. The GTI has very little lag due to the small turbo and spiked at 21.5 psi. Traction was the GTI's problem as it had 305 TQ @ the crank. With an auto trans (DSG), I would drive along in traffic at 30 mph, hit the gas, and easilly lay rubber. Now that is fun.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:41 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also have a Volkswagen New Beetle 1.8T that I purchased new in 1999. I've done some light modifications such as large inter cooler piping, a GIAC chip, and some brake and suspension work. As with the previous post, traction is a definite problem under heavy acceleration- front wheels just spin. Wish it had Quattro drive line. I probably wouldn't have bought the RDX if I hadn't had previous experience with a turbo or if it was not AWD. No regrets though. Would buy another turbo from Honda/Acura.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:21 PM
El Chulo...

Talking

Even though the turbo engine produces lag at any level of the game, and N/A engines are more linear. I believe that I will always be a boost junkie it just has performance written all over it. Maybe some choices for the future Nissan Skyline GTR, Porsche 911... (trying to keep the drool in my mouth)
Old 01-15-2008, 03:29 AM
Advanced

This is my 2nd turbo car. I originally had a lightly modded 2004 Lancer Evo. My guess was I had about 290-300hp to the wheels. mostly bolt on parts and a basic tune @ 23psi. it's one thing to have a turbo car but turbo + AWD is amazing. it's much more confidence inspiring in foul weather. my launch control on the evo had me boosted to about 12psi on the line and I could cut 1.7 60 ft all day long. lag was kinda crappy but the surge at full boost was intoxicating. altho most awd are prone to understeer, with the turbo boosting and awd doing it's job, you can just power through with little fear. there is nothing like the feeling of forced induction and awd grip.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:20 PM
Pro

Datnvan, what is launch control on an EVO? On my GTI (DSG), I just press the brake and gas, it would rev to 3000 or so rpm and I just let go of the brake. After that, just modulate the gas to reduce tire spin.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:39 PM
Advanced

it was standard on a base reflash from dynoflash (this was kinda standard on the evo IX). what it would do is rev the engine on and off (faster than you can ever do yourself) and it would built up boost naturally. car had to be at a complete stop, put the it gear with clutch applied of course, and press the gas. engine would rev to 5k and bounce off 5k at probably 3-4 times a second. once partial boost is reached (about 12psi and takes maybe 2 seconds), you wait for the green light and drop the clutch (maybe feather it just a little). I always just quickly let off the clutch and car would take off like hot cakes. i love launch control. great way to destroy a tranny or transfer case tho.

the same end result can be reached with the rdx by brake boosting at a dead stop but it's pretty hard to accomplish successfully. that's how some rdx test drivers get it to do 6.5 second 0-60.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02JkEiD3Pwg
Old 01-15-2008, 03:40 PM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
the cx-7 was my first turbo. when it turned out to be a giant shit show, i thought i had made a big mistake moving into a turbo engine. the acura has changed my mind, id get another one without question. they are alot more fun to drive, coupled with AWD its a win win. I think acura has built something very solid with its first try, the vari-flow unit helps, i drive my gf's audi 06 A4 and its night and day.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:32 AM
boostin'

I've driven a few turbo cars (TT Stealth, EVO 8, aftermarket turbo'd Probe GT), and I really like turbo cars. That being said, I'd much rather have a manual transmission w/ the turbo (the auto and turbo just don't seem to work together real well all the time). Now that I'm seeing the turbo 4 in the RDX gives no better gas mileage than a 6 cylinder (possibly even worse), I may opt for the 6 in the future.
I will most definately be purchasing more turbo'd cars though, however they will be sports cars w/ a manual!!
Old 01-17-2008, 10:59 AM
Intermediate

This is my first turbo car and it is definitely taking some time to get used to, especially from stop to start. I also agree with RDX REX, If there was a 6 cyl option with similar utility/performance available, I'd consider it.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:59 AM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by VeNeNo
Turbo = Performance...
....at some point when it feels like it.

This is my second turbo, and the lag is just as annoying as my first one (which was an 80s era car). I was kinda hoping for better. The turbo lag, combined with throttle lag and the AT are just a horrible combination for this car in my opinion. It is CONSTANTLY downshifting, and I can't stand those ridiculous paddle shifters. I want a clutch.

My two biggest complaints are the drive chain and the crappy nav display backlighting. Other than that, I love it. It's nearly perfect for me in all other ways.

Mike
Old 01-17-2008, 12:34 PM
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 234 Posts
Originally Posted by catnippants
My two biggest complaints are the drive chain and the crappy nav display backlighting. Other than that, I love it. It's nearly perfect for me in all other ways.

Mike
By drive chain I'm guessing you are referring to the cam drive (timing) chain.

Just wondering what you don't like about it. An RDX timing belt would have been a deal breaker fo me. I have changed too many timing belts!!
Old 01-17-2008, 12:43 PM
Meat Popsicle

Originally Posted by catnippants
....at some point when it feels like it.

This is my second turbo, and the lag is just as annoying as my first one (which was an 80s era car). I was kinda hoping for better. The turbo lag, combined with throttle lag and the AT are just a horrible combination for this car in my opinion. It is CONSTANTLY downshifting, and I can't stand those ridiculous paddle shifters. I want a clutch.

Mike

Test drive?
Old 01-18-2008, 11:57 PM
Turbo Junkie

We now have two turbo's in the garage, and honestly...4 banger AWD turbos are sikmode! Our other one is stage 3 (Subaru Forester), and eats most others for lunch. With a street tune from Dynoflash as well, the car pulls hard, and runs safe.

The RDX has some serious possibilities... but with hardly any r&d being done, it might be the car that coulda......
Old 01-19-2008, 08:37 AM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by lilfeat
Test drive?
Actually, I did quite an extensive test drive, as I do with all my cars - just not in multiple seasons or multiple states. I clearly felt the turbo lag when I drove it, but given that it seemed fairly minor and I liked the car in all other ways, we made a deal. Unless I had lived with it for 6 months, there would have been no way for me to determine that it would annoy me this much. If it were only turbo lag, I think I could still live with it. It's the turbo lag combined with throttle lag and the crazy shift points that now have me frustrated.

Originally Posted by XLR8R
By drive chain I'm guessing you are referring to the cam drive (timing) chain.

Just wondering what you don't like about it. An RDX timing belt would have been a deal breaker fo me. I have changed too many timing belts!!
I agree - a timing belt would have been a deal breaker for me as well. I actually asked about this before I put any money down. But by drive train, I meant engine & transmission combo.

Mike
Old 01-27-2008, 01:58 PM
Intermediate

It's my first vehicle with turbo and I really like it. However, even after driving it since late July, it still surprises me if I punch the accelerator because it is off and running so quickly. I don't need to do that very often, and I like to know I have that power in reserve if I need it.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:57 PM
Instructor

Never drove a turbo before my rdx,scary sometimes when the power comes on!
I find myself being more careful than I was with other non-turbo cars
Old 01-28-2008, 08:57 AM
G&V
Intermediate

I'll be looking at purchasing an RDX within the next month or so. Current car is the Subaru WRX (quite modified). So won't be new to a turbo 4 cylinder.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:02 PM
El Chulo...

Post scary stuff...

Originally Posted by buckeye#1
Never drove a turbo before my rdx,scary sometimes when the power comes on!
I find myself being more careful than I was with other non-turbo cars
I agree 100% you could be just cruising along and all of a sudden psshhhht...(turbo spooling up) This is exactlly why like turbo engins, its always a rush, and un linear kinda like me?
Old 01-30-2008, 09:38 AM
Intermediate

I'm addicted to the Turbo whoosh

2nd Turbo, first was an 2002 WRX Wagon.

I also drove a lot my uncle's 87 Grand National.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:33 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is my 3rd turbocharged vehicle ('90 Eclipse, '99 Saab 9-3) and I loved them all. The RDX has the least turbo lag of the three, (all were stock). I love the sound, and especially love the kick in the backside when the turbo spools up!

My only complaints are the gas milage and the lack of a manual trans.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:15 PM
El Chulo...

Wink true bane of MPG

In theory the turbo isn't the main reason our mighty RDX doesnt get good gas milage. The RDX's true bane is the SH-AWD. If the had a AWD system like the CR-V (real time) The fuel economy would be far better when off boost. With all that said the SH-AWD is what truly makes the RDX dynamic and a great handling automobile. At the end of the day I would not trade the Super handling prowress for better fuel economy; It would be nice to have an option though...
Old 02-01-2008, 06:01 PM
5th Gear

I drove two Saab 9-5's and still have a Saab 900 turbo ('94 vert) for the summer. Acceleration for the stock Saabs doesn't compare 0-60 to RDX, but is great in highway passing. The 4 cyl. Saabs also have great gas mileage (+30 highway) and quieter engines. Of course they are lighter and front wheel drive, which has its own handling issues.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Last car was a "medium" modified WRX (turboback exhaust, upipe, engine management, sway bars, endlinks, etc.). My wife has a Forester XT. I haven't driven a non-turbo car day to day for five years.

I like the sound of the RDX. No V6 ever made sounds as good as a turbo 4. (I still can't believe Nissan doesn't muffle the crap out of the VQ on the Z and G35--worse sounding engine ever--it sounds like a frog in a metal box).

I have no problems with the lag on the RDX. I really don't even notice it. I only get on the car when I am out of traffic and already moving, so it makes no difference.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:45 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by brizey

. (I still can't believe Nissan doesn't muffle the crap out of the VQ on the Z and G35--worse sounding engine ever--it sounds like a frog in a metal box).
OMG, I thought I was the only one that thinks the nissan/infinit engine/exhausts sound awful.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:40 PM
El Chulo...

Originally Posted by datnvan
OMG, I thought I was the only one that thinks the nissan/infinit engine/exhausts sound awful.
Small world isn't it..?