New Video - Lookswise the RDX is like Porsche Cayenne, Infiniti FX and VW Toureg

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 08:43 AM
Booya

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool New Video - Lookswise the RDX is like Porsche Cayenne, Infiniti FX and VW Toureg

Here's a new video from Car TV and they have compared the looks of the RDX to the Porsche Cayenne, Infiniti FX and VW Toureg from certain angles.

http://www.cartv.com/content/researc...224&vcat=Event

for those who compared the looks pf the RDX to the Subbie Forrester/Tribeca, Volco CX70 and the Mazda CX-7. I must admit though that the CX-7 does look hawt.

In my opinion the RDX looks more SUVish than true crossover like the FX35 or the CX-7. Afterall Acura has announced that it is built on a new 'Global light-truck platform'.

I wonder what would the dimensions of the car be like! I am assuming it will be slightly longer (about 6") and slightly wider (about 3") wider than the current CR-V.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Generally the auto industry defines a "crosover" vehicle as a "SUV" built on a unitized body. This term does not attempt (and this may be changing) describe the appearance. Make no mistake, the RDX is based on the new modular Civic chassis.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:20 PM
Racer

Actually Honda has stated that the RDX and the upcoming CRV are both based on a brand new Global Light Truck platform, not one of their existing platforms. However, it is still a unit body design, not body-on-frame.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by jaobrien6
Actually Honda has stated that the RDX and the upcoming CRV are both based on a brand new Global Light Truck platform, not one of their existing platforms. However, it is still a unit body design, not body-on-frame.

I'm pretty sure we're "spliting hairs" here, but as Bill Clinton said,"it depends on what your definition of 'is' IS"

As far as I know Honda has 4 platforms, S2000, NSX and the global small car chassis and global mid size chassis. From the small car chassis, we build Civics, RSXs, CRVs etc. Now, the new platforms are actually three parts, and begining with the last gen CRV, you could "mix and match" subframes. This is how the CRV ended up with a mid size platform engine cradle (Accord 2.4 engine).

So, depending on how you want to read the "all new" part of the statement, you could say that the Civic Chassis is all new (ACE body structure). Or you could say the combination of SH + new Civic = All new Light truck.... the possibilities continue. I guess it all depends on what "all" is ALL.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:51 PM
Racer

Fair enough, you're definitely more familiar with this stuff than me, I was mainly going by the article's I'd read that described it as a new Light Truck platform. I did not realize that the platforms went together the way you're describing.