Need your input...RDX pricing in AZ, RDX vs. EX35, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 10:30 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need your input...RDX pricing in AZ, RDX vs. EX35, etc.

Hey...I just purchased a G35 Journey last weekend for my wife, to replace her '04 Accord EX-V6. The G is the best car I've ever purchased - we absolutely love it.

I drive an '06 Pilot loaded EX-L with Navi, and am experiencing "I want a new car too" angst, though I love my Pilot. So now I'm looking at an RDX or an EX35 to replace my Pilot. My rationalization is that I don't really need the third row seats that I needed two years ago, so I can "downsize" a bit.

My understanding is that the EX35 is basically the G sedan with a different body style, so I don't know that I want two cars that are so similar, even though we LOVE the G. And if I'm "downsizing" from the Pilot, then I don't need the MDX, which is basically the Acura Pilot.

A key use for me is racking mountain bikes up top - I have a Thule rack on my Pilot's rails, and will want to rack the RDX. I don't think that either Thule or Yakima have a fit kit for the EX35 yet (they don't for the G), and I haven't checked for the RDX.

Also would like to know what sort of deals people are getting relative to invoice, particularly in AZ. What holdback does the RDX invoice price include? Any financing deals these days?

Thanks all!
Old 03-01-2008, 11:32 AM
1st Gear

I didn't test drive the EX when I was deciding on a new car (ended up with the RDX), but sat in one and it just seemed way to small. If you've already got the G35, I'd say you'd be somewhat repetitive with an EX. You'll definitely get more utility out of the RDX, but still much less than your pilot (i consider it more of a hatchback on steroids.) I have the roofrack, but have yet to try to use it for bikes.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:05 PM
10th Gear

+1 Simple decision for myself. Wife liked the RDX better,nuff said.

2.9% APR for 24-36 months or 4.9% APR for 37-60 months
Upright Bike Attachment $138.00 Roof Rack $407.00 (from Acura.com)
Old 03-01-2008, 01:04 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I sat in the EX yesterday. It was pretty nice. I could barely fit in the back seat. Very small crossover.

If you need the room, skip on the EX, but otherwise, I'd be all over it.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:00 PM
Instructor

I don't know why anybody wastes time comparing the EX to the RDX. Two completely different classes of vehicle. The EX is by itself because of the tiny to non-existent back seat. It makes as much sense to compare the EX to the RDX as it does to compare the Nissan Armada or Cadillac Escalade to the RDX. The EX is basically a two-passenger vehicle. The backseat is for the second suitcase since only one will fit in the pitiful hatch trunk.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:15 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll echo whatever body here has to say. I test drove the EX35, RDX (and, now, I'm actually leaning toward the new RL - ugly new nose and all), and well as the X3.

All three had their pluses and minues. The EX35 has that sweet engine, and the gorgeous interior. But, it is very, very cramped inside. Completely impractical even for hauling bikes (which is my main reason for looking at this class). I couldn't even fit in it because there is no headroom. The rear visability is a joke too.

The X3 was nice. My main issues with it where concerns regarding QC (I simply don't trust BMW the way I trust Acura) and the unimpressive cabin electronics. The GPS, for example, was a joke.

The RDX has a cheaper interior than the EX35 - lots of plastic. But, it works for me and I really like the seats. I also liked the size, general layout of the interior, and exterior styling. It is a very fun vehicle too, the GPS and cabin electronics are top notch, and of course there is Acura quality. Ambivalent about a turbo four though, the stiffish ride, and so-so MPG. Overall, I still see this as the best choice in the class.

Another reasonable option is the Nissan Murano. Sweet engine, good handling (if not in the RDX's class), great interior, nice exterior. My main beef with this vehicle is the huge blindspots in the rear.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:22 PM
Cruisin'

Pricing?

Good stuff...thanks!

Regarding pricing, I am just not seeing too much info on what sort of deals people are getting. How aggressively are dealers trying to move these vehicles? Can I get under invoice? I know the TL's are going for way under invoice right now because of some dealer cash; what about the RDX's?

I've got one e-mail offer from an AZ dealer for $300 over invoice, which I assume to include destination, and plus dealer-added accessories (which I will shoot down) and fees. Of course, I need to drill down on the fees...
Old 03-01-2008, 03:38 PM
Cruisin'

More pricing...

To flesh out that offer I've got, it's for a 2008 RDX AWD w/Technology for $34,729, including destination, which is $300 over invoice. This dealer also has a $388 doc fee, and an accessory package added for $1,069 that includes Body Side Molding, All Season Floor Mats, Door Edge Guards, Window Tint, and Wheel Locks. I will offer $200 like I usually do for the accessory package to cover the tint cost; otherwise, that's all markup to me.

Back to the $300 over invoice...is that good these days on an RDX?

Does anybody know what the holdback is on these vehicles?
Old 03-01-2008, 08:27 PM
Cruisin'

Test drove it for the first time...very impressed with the vehicle. After two Accord V-6's, my Pilot V-6 and the G35, I need to get used to a 4-cyl. turbo again. Bit of lag, then whoooooosh... You can really sort of hear it, I think.

Love the interior and all the gadgets.

I want it...now I have to trade my Pilot...
Old 03-01-2008, 08:31 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by waltaz
To flesh out that offer I've got, it's for a 2008 RDX AWD w/Technology for $34,729, including destination, which is $300 over invoice. This dealer also has a $388 doc fee, and an accessory package added for $1,069 that includes Body Side Molding, All Season Floor Mats, Door Edge Guards, Window Tint, and Wheel Locks. I will offer $200 like I usually do for the accessory package to cover the tint cost; otherwise, that's all markup to me.

Back to the $300 over invoice...is that good these days on an RDX?

Does anybody know what the holdback is on these vehicles?
The standard Acura/Honda holdback is 2.5%.

The $388 doc fee is BS. Basically, the dealer is asking for $600 over invoice (which is still OK).
Old 03-07-2008, 07:23 PM
Cruisin'

Walt-

I am an RDX owner in AZ although I didn't buy it in this state. Honestly, how often do you see an RDX on the road here? I wouldn't expect you to receive much feedback from you question as to pricing here, but I will tell you that both Acura of Tempe and Acura of N.S. have excellent service departments and are very accommodating. Good luck with negotiations
Old 03-07-2008, 07:57 PM
Racer

There is another long EX35 thread in this forum. Bottom line is that it is much smaller and somewhat more expensive than the RDX. You should take a test drive and decide for yourself. The review in the April 2008 issue of Car & Driver magazine says the EX35 is so small that it should be labeled a hatchback, not a SUV. If you live in a big city where parallel parking is tight and you never need to put adults in the back seat, then it might work for you.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:05 PM
XIS
Lizard King

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Try Scottsdale Acura & Acura of Peoria.

Get both of their best offers. Tell them you are checking with the other dealer next. You will come away with a Tech for around 34K...
Old 03-09-2008, 12:14 AM
Cruisin'

March lease numbers?

Anybody know the March residuals and money factors for the RDX?
Old 03-10-2008, 02:02 PM
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Walt,

I just purchased a red RDX with tech from Acura Peoria...$34,629 including tint, wheel locks, mats, the cargo tray and door edging.

Who are you dealing with?
Old 03-10-2008, 10:22 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by insurgo
Walt,

I just purchased a red RDX with tech from Acura Peoria...$34,629 including tint, wheel locks, mats, the cargo tray and door edging.

Who are you dealing with?
Brijen Dave...
Old 03-12-2008, 04:11 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Mine is 31K w/out Tech .They gave me Free Protection Package ( Wheel Locks, Mats And Splash Guard)