maintenance Schedule

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 02:20 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
maintenance Schedule

Can anyone tell me where to find the schedule of maintenance/intervals....is it every 10k miles? also when are the big maintenance scheduled for....also how much do the cost.

I checked the owners manual, byt didn't see a specific break down....Thanks!
Old 02-13-2008, 10:29 AM
... the CaSH ...

Originally Posted by fa590
Can anyone tell me where to find the schedule of maintenance/intervals....is it every 10k miles? also when are the big maintenance scheduled for....also how much do the cost.

good question ... i would like to know as well!

bump for you
Old 02-13-2008, 11:55 AM
Instructor

In the manual it outlines a very complex algorithm the car follows to assess the way the car is being used. Drive it 60 mph continuously and it will probably require service every 8000 miles. To/from work in stop and go, maybe 4000. It is largely based on the engine oil condition and everything else follows.

One item my service advisor told me is that the car tracks how much and often the steering wheel is turned to track when the car needs to have the tires rotated! Again, the engine oil condition drives the service interval, but things like steering frequency get added to the next service when needed.

Bottom line - keep an eye on your % life on your engine oil and odometer in the speedo cluster readout and it will give you an idea of when your next service will be required.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
goto your local dealer and pick up an rdx service brochure has everything outlined.

I have one in the rdx and one in the manual which I keep in the home.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:56 PM
... the CaSH ...

Originally Posted by mau108
goto your local dealer and pick up an rdx service brochure has everything outlined.

I have one in the rdx and one in the manual which I keep in the home.
scan + copy/paste

please?
Old 02-13-2008, 04:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by CaSHMeRe
scan + copy/paste

please?

I live in Canada so our maintenance schedule is different.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The RDX has a built-in MID, which for me typically runs at about 5,000 miles each time.

Thus far, I have changed my oil at every 5,000 miles based on MID. But I plan to do the tire rotation based on my experience with cars, at every 7500 miles.
Other things like rear differential fluid service, I plan to do it once a year, right after a winter season (driving through snow regularly may put extra stress on the the fluid).

you can always follow the dealer service schedule, which will get you to do all those "extra" stuff, but honestly, a lot of it is DIY.

JMHO
Old 02-13-2008, 05:33 PM
... the CaSH ...

^^^ excellent ...

thanks mav238 ... i do almost everything myself. nice to know we have an onboard system for the oil though ...

one question, for us diy's ... how do you reset it everytime you change the oil?
Old 02-13-2008, 06:43 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey CaSHMeRe,

FYI, Look in the owners manual under Maintenance. It explains how to reset the maintenance minder for base and tech RDX's.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:02 PM
8th Gear

assuming i follow all the recommended services and have it done by my dealer, how much will it cost to take care of my car for the first 50,000miles....100,000 miles, etc. I guess that is what i want to know and there is no way to find that out. is that basically what you are telling me?
Old 02-13-2008, 10:39 PM
Instructor

assuming i follow all the recommended services and have it done by my dealer, how much will it cost to take care of my car for the first 50,000miles....100,000 miles, etc. I guess that is what i want to know and there is no way to find that out. is that basically what you are telling me?
Your dealer should have a brochure with all of the services and their prices so you can calculate this (assume 'A' service every 5000 and 'B' service every 10,000 for an approximation).
Old 02-13-2008, 11:56 PM
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 234 Posts
Originally Posted by Patronus
One item my service advisor told me is that the car tracks how much and often the steering wheel is turned to track when the car needs to have the tires rotated!
Well d@#n! -- and I've been counting steering wheel turns on an old grade-school abacus!
Old 02-14-2008, 10:50 AM
Burning Brakes

fa590

If you are going to have all the regular services done at your dealer, simple answer is, it will cost you an arm and a leg...

The most important regular servicing item to get done on your car is the oil/filter change. With the RDX, it is really simple to do.

The other things are:

Every two years or 24,000 kms, engine air filter change - DIY
Every two years or 24,000 kms, cabin air filter change - DIY
Tire rotation every 7500 miles - local tire shop
Wheel alignment every 2 years - local tire shop
rear differential fluid change every 24,000 kms - could be DIY, but relatively cheap at dealer.
Autotrans fluid servicing - first one at 96,000 kms, thereafter every 2 years or 48,000 kms. Do it at dealer, because it is related to the autotrans, better off get it done by Acura. Given it is not a regular service item, cost is worth it.

Typically every 40,000 kms, check brake pads or replace them (simply go to a local brake shop and ask them for a free inspection; most of them will do it for you to get your potential business)

Generally, the new cars are designed to be chassis lubed for life... so if there is a problem with the lubrication in the chassis, it should be covered under warranty.
Don't need the dealer to regularly check the shocks, if it leaks, you can see it.

If you follow your dealer's recommended 'A', 'B' ...services etc... you will be getting a lot of "required" inspections included which you don't really need.

To be fair to the dealer, the high prices they charge is required, as they have high overheads and they need to make a decent profit... I mean, if you run a business, you want it to be profitable...

On the other hand, you do have a choice to do most of the simple essential maintenance DIY, which should be more than enough to keep your car running smoothly.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:45 AM
8th Gear

i'm not really much of a do it yourselfer, and i'd hate to learn on a car like this and risk messing it up....doesn't having your service dome by someone other than the dealer void the warentee or something?
Old 02-14-2008, 01:09 PM
Burning Brakes

i'm not really much of a do it yourselfer, and i'd hate to learn on a car like this and risk messing it up....doesn't having your service dome by someone other than the dealer void the warentee or something?

Nope, if you are doing stuff like oil/filter change, DIY is fine with warranty, just make sure you keep all the receipts for your oil/filter changes.

If it is policy requirement that you service your car at an Acura dealer to keep your warranty, it would have been explicitly written out in your Warranty booklet.

But things like the main engine components (turbo servicing, engine manifold etc...) those kind of stuff, if it happens to be a problem, it is under warranty anyway, and should be carried out at your Acura dealer.

I am not saying not to bring it to your dealer for servicing, but just wanted to indicate that a lot of money can be saved with the simple DIYs. e.g. you do not need to bring your car to the dealer for tire rotations or brake pad work, a local mechanic would be more than capable to do that, and not charge you an arm and a leg...

But if you feel better to have Acura service to look after your car, by all means...