Looking at an RDX...

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 10:01 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Looking at an RDX...

For some background, my husband drives an 05 Legacy GT, and his lease is up in October. We're looking at replacements and have been pretty fed up with subaru's reliability and the amount of BS we encounter every time something goes wrong (subaru's stock answer is "Yes, we know there's a problem, no, we're not fixing it" for everything). I used to have a 98 Integra, loved it to pieces but ended up replacing it with an 07 GTI DSG because I needed a 4-door hatch and Honda doesn't think the USA deserves such things. But we've wanted another honda/acura since then because they're so fun to drive... we've also been seriously considering the Civic Si but would prefer AWD and something a bit more roomy.

Soooo, we drove an RDX this weekend and while the husband is disappointed it doesn't come in a manual, he's pretty smitten and I can't complain. But what I was hoping to find out from you guys is:

1) What is your favorite thing about the RDX?
2) What is your least favorite thing about the RDX?
3) How has the reliability been? Is there anything wrong with the RDX that Acura refuses to acknowledge/fix?
4) Is the tech package really worth it? We already have a portable nav unit.
5) How hard is it to set up 'true' iPod connectivity? Do you have to have the tech package to use the display with the iPod?
6) Any of you from the Atlanta area? Any dealerships or independent shops you can recommend?
7) Has anyone had experience putting a rear facing infant seat in the backseat? How much of a pain is it to install?

I totally appreciate it if you guys could take a few minutes and let me know what you think about the RDX. We're fairly sold on it, we just want to make sure we know what we're getting into before we buy one, unlike with the LGT, which has turned out to be a disaster. Never buying another subaru again, ever.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:56 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by starla79
For some background, my husband drives an 05 Legacy GT, and his lease is up in October. We're looking at replacements and have been pretty fed up with subaru's reliability and the amount of BS we encounter every time something goes wrong (subaru's stock answer is "Yes, we know there's a problem, no, we're not fixing it" for everything). I used to have a 98 Integra, loved it to pieces but ended up replacing it with an 07 GTI DSG because I needed a 4-door hatch and Honda doesn't think the USA deserves such things. But we've wanted another honda/acura since then because they're so fun to drive... we've also been seriously considering the Civic Si but would prefer AWD and something a bit more roomy.

Soooo, we drove an RDX this weekend and while the husband is disappointed it doesn't come in a manual, he's pretty smitten and I can't complain. But what I was hoping to find out from you guys is:

3) How has the reliability been? Is there anything wrong with the RDX that Acura refuses to acknowledge/fix?
5) How hard is it to set up 'true' iPod connectivity? Do you have to have the tech package to use the display with the iPod?
6) Any of you from the Atlanta area? Any dealerships or independent shops you can recommend?
7) Has anyone had experience putting a rear facing infant seat in the backseat? How much of a pain is it to install?

I totally appreciate it if you guys could take a few minutes and let me know what you think about the RDX. We're fairly sold on it, we just want to make sure we know what we're getting into before we buy one, unlike with the LGT, which has turned out to be a disaster. Never buying another subaru again, ever.
On the car seat, we have a rear facing Graco snugride on the passenger side.

While it fits fine, in order to keep the handle in the recommended position and have it not touching the front seat in order to allow for impact absorption, the front passenger seat must be put too far forward to be comfortable, at least for me (6'1"). Usually when I am with my wife and the baby, she or I will be in the back seat behind the driver (where there is plenty of room for a full sized adult).

Carseat is very easy to install with the LATCH.

Favourite/least favourite things - love the turbo, but lack of low end power is frustrating at times. Handling, especially in bad weather, is fantastic. Gas consumption sucks, at least for me, but others seem to be doing better.

Seems like tech is worth it in the US, but not really in Canada. No issues with reliability.

We have the base, and while the ipod plugs in and works, nothing is displayed on the consol and the buttons on the wheel/consol don't do anything. I burned 6 mp3 CDs which work just fine, and aside from the issue of having to burn new discs every once in a while, I find it much more convenient than the ipod.

Gotta say, all considered, both my wife and I LOVE this car.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:57 PM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by starla79
1) SH-AWD in both the dry and wet - simply amazing.
2) Gas mileage - wish it got a little better but I knew what to expect coming in.
3) Absolutely nothing wrong with my '08 w/ 12K miles on it.
4) I opted not to get the Tech as all I really wanted was the Bluetooth which is now standard w/ the Base model.
5) N/A as I don't use an IPOD in my cars.
6) N/A
7) N/A - but my Airedale Terrier monster loves the room in the back!

Good luck!
Old 03-11-2008, 07:13 PM
... the CaSH ...

coming from a guy who almost bought a Legacy GT Spec B, but bought an RDX instead

1) What is your favorite thing about the RDX? AWD, Turbo, Future Mommy Mobile for my Fiance
2) What is your least favorite thing about the RDX? The Chrome Package ... Wish I could swap out the chrome doorhandles and trim
3) How has the reliability been? Is there anything wrong with the RDX that Acura refuses to acknowledge/fix? Nope. No issues period. 17K miles here.
4) Is the tech package really worth it? We already have a portable nav unit. I didn't think the tech package was worth it. No touchscreen interface on the Nav Unit, and I was planning on upgrading the stereo on my own anyways.
5) How hard is it to set up 'true' iPod connectivity? Do you have to have the tech package to use the display with the iPod? Don't know, haven't tried it yet.
6) Any of you from the Atlanta area? Any dealerships or independent shops you can recommend? Can't help ya here.
7) Has anyone had experience putting a rear facing infant seat in the backseat? How much of a pain is it to install? Shouldn't be a pain at all. backseats are bigger then my wife's mazda6 and we bought that car to haul the little ones. Plenty of room in the RDX!

Good Luck, you won't regret your purchase!
Old 03-12-2008, 12:45 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I can help you with #6 on your list. You should stop by Sons Acura, not sure where it is, but somewhere in the Atlanta area. I've bought several parts from them, and they have been very helpful to me.

The Tech package has a really nice sound system which I really enjoy. As far as I know, there is no i-pod integration, only an aux switch to hook up i-pod.

I love my RDX, it's a blast to drive, even though it's only an automatic. Good luck with your next car purchase.