Looking at 2008 RDX, What Should I Know?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 12:03 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking at 2008 RDX, What Should I Know?

Hey everyone.

So long story short, I wrecked my '03 Saab 9-3 and got a pretty decent check from Progressive I'd like to put down on a new vehicle. I've decided to upgrade from a Sedan, at least for size, and I've come across the following 2008 RDX that I plan to go look at later today.

Used One-Owner 2008 Acura RDX Tech Pkg - Phoenix AZ - Liberty Cars and Trucks

Not sure if the link works, but like I said, 2008 RDX, Tech Package, 46,XXX miles, asking $15k.

The price seems maybe $1-2,000 too high, but I'll cross that bridge if I like what I see tonight. My question is, what specifically should I look for when viewing/test driving? Coming from a quirky, out of business, 14 year old Euro, I know that every car is going to have little kinks and common issues that are important to see if they have been addressed, so, what might I want to check?

And, as all message boards have some members who will humbly steer potential buyers away, I'm also interested in going to check out:

2017 Kia Sorento LX - 3.3L V6, AWD, 14k miles for $16,500
2010 Toyota RAV4 - V6, AWD, 51k miles for $16,000
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS - V6, AWD, 42k miles for $19,500

All of these other vehicles are of course more off-road potent than the RDX (in my opinion), and although that's something I'm looking for, in practical terms it's not necessarily something I can't do without. What really caught my eye on the RDX is the turbo engine (had it with the Saab, would love to know if there are reputable tuners?), the level of technology for an 11 year old vehicle, the entry level luxury features, and just the overall sportiness of the car (Top mount intercooler is a really nice touch).

So....I know I just laid out about 300 different questions, but please share any advice, personal experience, and even tell me to run away?

Thanks!!
Old 11-02-2017, 12:15 PM
6th Gear

*9 year old vehicle. Maths are hard....
Old 11-02-2017, 03:57 PM
6th Gear

I see there are a few posts pretty similar to this one, and I feel the need to clarify.....

What I'm asking for is specific items prone to failing with this year/model. To make a comparison, if someone were to ask the same question about a 2003 Saab, I'd tell them to check the vacuum hose near the ECU (typically needs replaced by 50k miles), that any roughness at idle is a sign of failing ignition coils (common for the model and very expensive to replace), check for dust/dirt in the secondary air intake, look for signs of leaking coolant (failed water pump). Basically, things that the original owner may have very likely experienced in this first 9 years, and things that, had they been addressed, are signs of a competent and caring owner.....

Thanks again.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
I have a 2008 RDX (tech package) and it has about 70,000 miles on it. Nothing major has failed. The only unscheduled repair was a blown door speaker and the headliner falling down due to improper gluing. These both happened in the first year of ownership. Since then I just follow the maintenance schedule and change tires when they are worn out -- only once so far. I also take pretty good care of it and it looks brand new inside and out.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:25 PM
6th Gear

Thanks Schen!

Great info and very encouraging.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:07 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
I'd go check out that Sorento! I test drove a '17 FWD V6, and it was really nice! That's a really sweet V6! I was really impressed.

My wife just dropped her leased Kia Optima, 2015, and it was flawless! I'm not a big fan of Kia, but you have to give credit, where credit's due!

If you do get that RDX, you'll need to examine your fluids, and belts, to see if they need changing. That vehicle's 10 years old!
Old 11-03-2017, 08:20 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I've purchased my 08 RDX tech in 2010 with 30,000 miles and I'm now up to +143,000 miles. I've taken a lot of trips to AZ, CA, CO, and TX with the RDX when it was my main travel vehicle. The RDX can handle the extreme heat of Phoenix in the summer and extreme cold of below zero in the mountains of CO in winter. She is mostly work/errands around town now days; but, the RDX is still my favorite vehicle to drive in the city compared to my 11 MDX Adv or 06 TSX because of the TQ of the turbo. The excellent 360 degree visibility, turbo engine, high seating position, shorter size for zooming around in traffic and parking, and utility makes the RDX the perfect city car. Add a roof rack and hitch and you can get even more utility out of the RDX. The good or bad thing about the RDX are it feels the best when you are driving the hell out of it. The RDX is a "hammer and you only see nails" type of vehicle. I've never got above 22 mph on the hwy or anything less than 17 mph in the city (driving +80 mph on hwy doesn't help mpgs either). Some folks really hated the 1st Gen RDX because of the stiff ride and it didn't drive like a more powerful CR-V and that is why the 2nd Gen appealed to more buyers looking for an CR-V with more power (Honda sells over 30,000 CR-Vs a month).

Issues I've had were:
- i-vtec solenoid switch over failed (powertrain warranty, not a common issue)
- brake booster failed (out of pocket, not a common issue)
- A/C clutch failure (covered by Acura 100,000 miles extended warranty, you have to check; but, this might have expired because of the RDX age)
- new struts/shocks at 100K (lowered on Eibach springs since purchased killed the suspension)
- driver side door actuator (out of pocket)
- driver side speaker replaced (warranty)
- replaced driver's side sun visor (out of pocket)
- replaced torn center arm rest (out of pocket)
- alternator replaced at 125K (out of pocket)
- installed front cam adjustment bolts (out of pocket)
- re-greased climate control baffle door to stop groaning (out of pocket)

I had a few mods like:
- Hondata reflash
- ETS intercooler
- Hondata heatshield gasket
.- K/N drop in filter
- Eibach lowering springs (removed when I replaced struts/shocks)
- Progress RSB

Other things to check for are:
- maint records (plan on changing all fluids, serpentine belt, and filters anyways)
- Navi works (can be very expensive to replace CD-ROM reader)
- blown speakers
- all buttons work on key fobs
- HIDs are A-OK (no weak bulbs or ballast)
- inspect power steer pump and rack for leaks (common issue)
Old 11-03-2017, 11:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 204 Posts
A well-maintained '08 RDX at those miles should be pretty reliable, but a practically new Sorrento AWD with 10 year warranty in the same price range should be a no-brainer to be honest. Those are nice cars, maybe not as sporty as the RDX. But really...a 1 year old car being sold for practically half of its MSRP? As long as it's not a salvage title I think that's a steal. It's bigger, more powerful, more capable, more fuel efficient, and almost 10 years newer.

As far as potential problems with the '08, I think mrgold covered it pretty well. Some people start to have issues with the turbo variable flow actuator at higher mileage, but so far it's hard to pin it specifically on older models or if it just looks that way because they tend to have more miles.
Old 11-03-2017, 02:13 PM
6th Gear

Wow. Thanks everyone for the great, detailed replies.

I went to look at the RDX last night and....boy, very disappointing. I won't go into every little thing but right away I could see 2 of the wheels were trashed -curb rash and peeling top coat (? not really sure). The armrest was wrecked which I've read is common (still not addressed by the dealer charging the "Good" condition price). Scratches all over the interior handles, seriously, all 4, even the back! Empty water bottles strewn about, crumbled receipts on the floor, passengers side fog light about to fall out of the housing.....blah blah blah. Just pitiful shape. The actual cut-key was loose in the fob/housing, maybe that's a common wear item? To me though, that was just another red flag that whoever owned this car didn't care for it very well at all. Not to mention the fact that the dealer overlooked all of the dirt, garbage, etc.

The sales rep came back to move some cars away so I could test drive it, and I told him frankly, don't bother. Younger me maybe would have entertained him, but no. What a shame. And this place is apparently reputable. 4/5 star aggregate score on Google, 22 years in the business.

I'm going to keep my eye out for another RDX, but this year and mileage seemed like a gem. I'm going to check out the other vehicles I mentioned this weekend, notably the Kia which seems the consensus here is to seriously consider.

Again, thanks everyone for taking the time to respond and help me out, this particular RDX just wasn't meant to be.
Old 11-03-2017, 02:16 PM
6th Gear

Also, here's a link to the Kia. Everyone's surprise at the price had me doubling back to make sure I didn't have a typo....

It says 'Hail Sale' so maybe it is a salvage, for that reason? Pictures look pretty clean though.

Anyway, just to show I'm not making it up lol.

https://www.billlukechryslerjeepdodg...b89dec6451.htm
Old 11-04-2017, 01:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LeviPhx
Also, here's a link to the Kia. Everyone's surprise at the price had me doubling back to make sure I didn't have a typo....

It says 'Hail Sale' so maybe it is a salvage, for that reason? Pictures look pretty clean though.

Anyway, just to show I'm not making it up lol.

https://www.billlukechryslerjeepdodg...b89dec6451.htm
I would be suspicious. Looks too good to be true. Cars don't depreciate by 50% in one year. Maybe in 3 years. Something is fishy.
Old 11-04-2017, 01:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LeviPhx
Wow. Thanks everyone for the great, detailed replies.

I went to look at the RDX last night and....boy, very disappointing. I won't go into every little thing but right away I could see 2 of the wheels were trashed -curb rash and peeling top coat (? not really sure). The armrest was wrecked which I've read is common (still not addressed by the dealer charging the "Good" condition price). Scratches all over the interior handles, seriously, all 4, even the back! Empty water bottles strewn about, crumbled receipts on the floor, passengers side fog light about to fall out of the housing.....blah blah blah. Just pitiful shape. The actual cut-key was loose in the fob/housing, maybe that's a common wear item? To me though, that was just another red flag that whoever owned this car didn't care for it very well at all. Not to mention the fact that the dealer overlooked all of the dirt, garbage, etc.

The sales rep came back to move some cars away so I could test drive it, and I told him frankly, don't bother. Younger me maybe would have entertained him, but no. What a shame. And this place is apparently reputable. 4/5 star aggregate score on Google, 22 years in the business.

I'm going to keep my eye out for another RDX, but this year and mileage seemed like a gem. I'm going to check out the other vehicles I mentioned this weekend, notably the Kia which seems the consensus here is to seriously consider.

Again, thanks everyone for taking the time to respond and help me out, this particular RDX just wasn't meant to be.
Interesting that they didn't even bother to clean up the garbage inside the car. That and the low-res grainy photos (which don't let you discern actual condition of the car) screams "run away!"