Introduction and maintinece question

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 09:05 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Introduction and maintinece question

Hey guy! Just wanted to introduce myself and say what's up. I got an 09 RDX with 64k miles on Monday. This forum has been a huge help so thank you all for the info. I see some of you guys are in the Philly area so that's cool to have some local people. These cars are awesome and I'm happy to find some other people know about the RDX... which seems to be a secret largely in the enthusiast community for some reason.

I used to be over on the audizine forum back in the day so hopefully I remember how everything works. I did have a quick question about maintinence since I want to make sure I take care of her right from the start. I've been following this maintinence thread: https://acurazine.com/forums/first-g...bility-926083/

I guess I'm really just looking for advice here...as I said the car has 64k on the odometer now. It seems transmission flushing is really important (my first automatic here so bare with me) and should have been done at 60k. Carfax has the last recorded service from the dealer at 32k so it seems small shops or self service was done after the 32k mark and I don't have records. Is there a way to test the trans fluid to make sure it was changed at 60k? I'm assuming this would have popped up on the MID so unless they just cleared the MID code and didn't do it then I should be good. I've done some DIYing in the past but honestly am not that technical. I could figure out the auto trans flush but would really rather not if it was most likely done at 60k.

My questions are does the trans flush show up on the MID? How likely do you guys think it is that they did it? Am I a fool for not just doing it myslef or paying a couple hundred bucks to ensure my tranny is 100%?

Also same question for oil...MID says 80% on the oil life so I assume it was done recently? Anything else I should look at preventative maintinence-wise around 64k? Also I should add that I don't plan to put more than 7k or so miles per year if that matters.

Looking forward to talking mods but I'll post something in the performace area. Thinking at least flashpro, probably intake, DP and maybe 600 injectors.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:18 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Acura Service Codes

A: Replace Engine Oil
B: Replace Engine Oil and Filter. Inspect various systems and components

1: Rotate Tires and check tire pressure and condition
2: Replace air cleaner element, check drive belt and replace dust and pollen filter
3: Replace transmission fluid and transfer fluid (if equipped)
4: Replace spark plugs, replace timing belt (if equipped), inspect water pump, and inspect value clearance
5: Replace Engine Coolant
6: Replace rear differential fluid (if equipped)

The 5AT flush does show in the M.I.D. as a "3". My MDX is due for a "B123" right now, just haven't taken it in yet since it start nagging you at 15% (it takes me about 750-1000 additional miles to get to 0%). Because of the M.I.D. uses your driving habits to determine maint, the 5AT oil change can be any where between 30,000-120,000 miles. I just got in the habit of changing my 5AT every 30,000 miles and stick to the M.I.D. for everything else. So far, I've been rewarded with smooth operation of my TSX/RDX 5ATs with around 120,000 miles on both odo so far. My dealership charges about $90-$100 to do the 3X fill/drain (most of the cost in labor).

When I purchased both my RDX and MDX used, I just went ahead and put new engine/cabin filters, wipers, tested battery, alignment, balance tires, and changed out all fluids (AT, engine, transfer, sh-awd, brake). Did anti-freeze when the M.I.D. told me, replace power steering fluid and serpentine belt at 100,000 miles on the RDX. The RDX requires syn oil, unless it was done at the Acura dealership with records, it would be hard to tell if someone "cheap out" and use reg oil because they were selling the RDX (or worst and reset the M.I.D. when it was due).

If you have the time and money, I would just start fresh from day 1. The RDX is inexpensive to run; but, can be very expensive to repair.

Last edited by mrgold35; 05-13-2015 at 10:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
domester (05-13-2015)
Old 05-13-2015, 10:21 AM
FLETCH

Received 146 Likes on 108 Posts
my dealer flushed or replaced the
transmission, rear diff, front diff, power steering, and coolant for around 350-400 ish? I was in Afghanistan at the time. so I don't have a receipt.
that's a good place to start.

WELCOME to the forum and happy modding/driving!!!
The following users liked this post:
domester (05-13-2015)
Old 05-13-2015, 10:40 AM
10th Gear

Awesome thanks guys! I appreciate the warm welcome. I thought the AT fluid was always at 60k so that's helpful mrgold. Sounds like it's worth the money just to start with a clean slate and be safe about it. With as much as I like this thing I'll probably keep it for a least a few years.

I live in the city so working on my car in the street is tough but not impossible. I'll see if a local shop can do AT and oil cheaply since that seems most urgent. Forgive my ignorance but I'm not sure what you mean but transfer and sh-awd. Is awd the same as differential fluid? I see in the maintenance schedule transfer and diff is (if equipped) so how do I know if I have either? Also I may just wait on break fluid until I need breaks depending on the cost. Guess I'll just see what it all costs and if I can do it all for a few hundred bucks that works for me.

Wrench, wish my dealer did everything but unfortunately it's my buddy's discount trade in dealer for their bigger new dealership so I know they do zero maintenance. Side note: love your ambitious plans I've seen in some threads. Sounds awesome!
Old 05-13-2015, 11:26 AM
mrgold35

The transfer gear case sits near the 5AT and transfer power to the rear mounted sh-awd/rear differential. You might not see this "6" code for the fwd Acura's like RDX/MDX/RLX/TLX/ILX. The "If needed" disclaimer is for awd vehicles only. Rear differential and sh-awd words are interchangeable for M.I.D. maint notification. I imagine the same code is used for +2013 RDX or Honda awd since they don't have sh-awd. I'm not sure if both units (transfer case and sh-awd) take the same type of oil? I just let Acura take care of it.

The +10 RDX also comes in fwd flavor also; which, about 200lbs lighter and 2 mpg better because of the lack sh-awd hardware. Sh-awd is just too much fun to do without. Just add Hondata or FlashPro and you will put the Sport back into SUV.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:04 PM
10th Gear

Cool thanks for the clarification mrgold. I just took her to a local shop that has done work inexpensively for me in the past. They'll do engine and AT for $220 so that works for me. I'll likely just have them do transfer, sh-awd and brake (if pads have a lot of life).

Glad to hear the good reviews on hondata. I'm pretty excited to get a flash or more likely flashpro for the flexibility but we'll see. Need to decide how realistic it is that I want other mods. I'm not interested in ricing the car out but the extra performance from the intake plus DP is really tempting. In which case it seems flashpro makes the most sense.

Apparently the flashpro's have a used resale value? curious if it's worth looking for a used one. I assumed they locked to one ECU but guess not.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:17 PM
10th Gear

One other quick question...does the MID reset itself when these fluids are changed or maybe this is something the shop or I need to do? I'll keep records so it doesn't matter too much but I don't want the MID telling me I need service 3 in a year after I just had the AT fluid changed. I guess at that point then it's easy to just clear the MID code?
Old 05-13-2015, 01:04 PM
FLETCH

Received 146 Likes on 108 Posts
nope.
Old 05-13-2015, 01:10 PM
mrgold35

You can reset the M.I.D. yourself;but, I think it only clears what is shown in the M.I.D. I've heard the Acura tech can reset each individual codes like an "A1" was due but you decided to do the "3" 5AT fill/drain at the same time. I think the tech can clear the "A1" and reset the "3" code also. Not 100% sure on this, might have to ask on my next service.
Old 05-13-2015, 01:32 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by mrgold35
You can reset the M.I.D. yourself;but, I think it only clears what is shown in the M.I.D. I've heard the Acura tech can reset each individual codes like an "A1" was due but you decided to do the "3" 5AT fill/drain at the same time. I think the tech can clear the "A1" and reset the "3" code also. Not 100% sure on this, might have to ask on my next service.
Oh I see..thanks for explaining. I guess having everything done at the local shop they won't be able to reset the 5AT code since it wasn't triggered before I had the flush done and they aren't acura techs. Maybe I'll have a small service done at a dealer soon and ask them to reset codes for whatever I get done today. Worst case I'll just keep track and clear codes as they come across the MID which I'm sure is what most guys here do.
Old 05-15-2015, 03:33 PM
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
(side note)
I was told that by doing my oil changes early (before the 15% msg) and resetting the minder, I could miss a 3 code.

I went ahead a did a trans dump and fill without getting the code. And repeat every other oil change now.

Sometimes maint sooner than the manual requires is prudent. Ever notice it says to only change the oil filter every other oil change. Who does that?
Old 05-16-2015, 11:36 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by DRR98
(side note)
Sometimes maint sooner than the manual requires is prudent. Ever notice it says to only change the oil filter every other oil change. Who does that?
Yup good point DRR98. Changing the oil filter every other change makes no sense on any car.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 204 Posts
Originally Posted by domester
Yup good point DRR98. Changing the oil filter every other change makes no sense on any car.
It can actually make sense on cars that still use "dino" oil, as the oil may break down well before the filter is full. But on the RDX and any other vehicle that calls for full synthetic...yeah, definitely no reason. If anything it would be the filter that is changed prior to the oil, but that's not exactly easy on the RDX.