Intermittent A/C issues. - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Intermittent A/C issues.

Old 07-16-2017, 11:51 PM   #1

Intermittent A/C issues.

I apologize in advance if this topic has already been discussed, or if I'm posting this in the wrong area.

I purchased a 08 rdx back in march for my wife, and the car has been great up until recently. The issues have to do with the A/C working intermittently. One day it will blow cold as ice, then 15-20 minutes later it's blowing hot air. There's no rhyme or reason behind it, and it's Extremely frustrating. Does anyone have any ideas on where I can start to troubleshoot? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Gmguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:31 AM   #2
2006 NBP TL MT6/ 02TL-S

AC compressor clutch relay most likely. When the relay starts failing, some times it will engage the compressor & sometimes it won't. Available for $10-$15 at most any auto parts house. In the main fuse box, there is another relay just like the compressor relay. You can switch them out as a test & see if that fixes the problem.
AlanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:21 PM   #3

The relays I replaced had the snowflake icon on the fuse panel cover. Is the compressor relay a different one than those?
Gmguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 04:06 PM   #4
2006 NBP TL MT6/ 02TL-S

Yes, the correct one has the big snowflake looking icon, then there are 2 light blue relays, then another black relay with a smaller snowflake icon on. The big snowflake & little snowflake are the same relay. If you replaced that relay and it did not fix the problem, make sure it has enough refrigerant in the system-that can cause it to go from cooling to not cooling. If the refrigerant level gets low enough, it triggers a low pressure cutoff switch which could also be the problem.
AlanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 11:49 PM   #5
Registered Member

If you're confident that it's not due to the relay, and the issue seems to be related to the temperature - the A/C only quits when the temperature goes above certain level - it's probably the A/C coil. I had mine replaced recently along with the clutch set. All for the cost of parts + $100 labor from my buddy at the Acura dealership. He said many if not most Honda/Acura have A/C issues one way or another after 6, 7 years. Fortunately, most of those issues don't cost that much to fix, if you know what exactly went wrong.
mrclemson is offline   Reply With Quote