Interior lights stay on

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 08:57 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Interior lights stay on

I'm kind of scratching my head now. When you set the rocker centered to door, the interior lights will not shut off. They are not pressed in. And the door switches all work. The cluster will tell you if you open a door.

Turning the rocker to off shuts them off thankfully. But it is a pain in the butt at night.

I'm lost on where to look now. Stuck relay? Short to ground on the wiring on the other side of the rocker switch? A bad control board somewhere?
Old 04-06-2018, 06:23 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Could you have a bad door switch for tuning on the interior lights? There should be a little black rubber switch that is depressed when you open/close any of the doors (above the PSI sticker on driver's door). I've notice the interior lights dim a little bit when I have a door open and I press the switch. Maybe testing all four switches might help track down the issue. I had an 97 Honda Accord that had the same issue and it was because the door switch wasn't making contact with the door when closed (worn spring and button wasn't extending fully). I found a small round rubber pad around 1/8" thick with a sticky back and placed it on the door where the button makes contact and that fixed my issue.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:24 AM
Advanced

I don't have a wiring diagram, so I was thinking the door switches were all good because the cluster tells me when I open a door. And the puddle lights operate as they should as well. But I didn't think of them as being a multi function switch as opposed to just an open/closed circuit switch.

I will press them all manually and see if I get any clues.
Old 04-07-2018, 02:38 PM
Advanced

I checked all the switches and didn't see any dimming or changes in the light working them manually with my finger. Seems like a relay is stuck, control board is bad or wire is shorted somewhere after the rocker switch... but I don't know if any of those even exist in the vehicle truthfully.

Very frustrated. Hate to go trying to open the dome up not knowing what I am doing and I have sunroof controls there too. Very sketchy.

Anyone else ever had an issue that was not the door switches?
Old 07-05-2019, 12:25 PM
Advanced

I had a chance to revisit this. So what I did was unhook all of the door switches. With the rocker set to door, all the lights still stayed on. I looked at the wire harness connectors and found all 4 to only be 1 wire. So I assumed the door switches must provide ground to the body to turn on the light. Since they were all unhooked I decided to check each connector for continuity. I did not get a beep until I checked the driver door harness.

I figured the issue was likely the wire damaged somewhere touching the body around the door. I took all the panels off and everything looked good. I traced the wire and found a connector behind the driver kick panel. I unhooked it and tested again to see if it was something I missed. No continuity.

So something is wrong somewhere from the hood release on forward in the circuit. I guess this somehow explains why the puddle lights operate properly while the overhead lights do not? Diode somewhere and the problem is beyond it so it does not affect the puddle light leg of the circuit.

Any pointers on where to look next? I don't really want to go removing the dash and kind of doubt the problem would be back there if it is a simple naked wire touching the frame.

Is there a control board or a relay involved?

Can anyone offer tips on taking the overhead light apart? I have tech package and sunroof. It looks like it has been monkey'd with in the past. I am afraid to try to pop it apart without knowing the proper way.