Installed Hondata and Maintenance Minder Reset - What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 01:43 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Installed Hondata and Maintenance Minder Reset - What to do?

So I ordered a Hondata with a new ECU. When I installed it, my maintenace minder reset to 100%. Now, I was at 50%, so i can figure out another 3k miles or so should put me at 0. Does it reset all the functions? Does it think I'm on my first oil change ever? What happens when I swap the stock ECU back in (does it go back to 50%)?
Old 02-04-2009, 02:19 PM
Pro

Hondata responded:

Yes the maintenance minder thinks it is a new vehicle. The oil life and other parameters such as sensor degradation is stored in the ECU. An Acura dealer may be able to move this information from one ECU to another with their scan tool, but I am not completely sure.

If you put your old ECU in it will probably return to the previous level.
So I now lose all minder information. Did you reflash guys have this problem?
Old 02-04-2009, 05:18 PM
Aint Doing Sh*t

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Did you lose your milage or any other stuff.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:00 PM
Pro

Nope. Mileage is fine. Just seems like the MM resets itself to 0 miles on the car.

So, I pretty much have to do maintenance manually. Not a huge deal, but still pretty annoying. It's nice to know when the diff fluid/cabin air filter and trans fluid should be changed.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:44 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
No problems with the reflash all the settings stayed the same the only thing that is done with the reflash is they going into the a specific section of your Ecu to reprogram and change your boost and rev limit .
Old 02-05-2009, 09:47 AM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by cwepruk
Hondata responded:

So I now lose all minder information. Did you reflash guys have this problem?
probably return.......shouldnt Hondata KNOW what happens....how could they NOT know, think about it...that should be a very easy question to answer

cw - another reason why ive been hesitant to pull the trigger so far has been Hondata's email responses/support to questions.

I swear they have crafted the skill of answering by not answering. Everything ive gotten back from them has just been an open-ended response.

"Well, yes it will, but it wont, but maybe" or "probably, probably not"

If the company cant answer with certainty...sounds to me like they are avoiding liability and we put these things in to our own peril...which in a way is a given, but at the very least, assurance from the company selling it to me would close a deal, or them actually responding in the affirmative or the negative

makes me really apprehensive
Old 02-05-2009, 09:52 AM
Pro

It would be so simple for them to put it on their site:

Note: New ECU installations with reset maintenance minder information.

I mean, this shit wasn't cheap with the new ECU. I've asked the question before with no answer. Now, that the minder is fucked, I have to keep track of everything myself (which is somewhat of a crapshoot with Acura's odd scheduling). The only other option is putting the old ECU in and having $1100 less in my wallet (more with the conversion).

More reason that they should get with the millennium and create a handheld reflash. If Cobb Tuning can send out a handheld reflash with tons of functionality for $600 or so, can't Hondata get with it?
Old 02-05-2009, 10:07 AM
big shot.

yea....their website lacks any type of information about maybe pre/post installation, anything to at least put the buyer on notice of whats going on, at least if they acknowledge it it would create some comfort..

i just found a total lack of support for the car they are selling it for, tell me whats going to happen, at the least

and yea, to your point, i dont understand why this flash isnt directly avail to us, i mean, if i had the pocket flash, id buy the fucker in 2 seconds lol its mine and i keep it and dont have to worry about alot of this shit
Old 02-05-2009, 09:28 PM
2008 Acura RDX

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Yeah they seem to be a real difficult set to deal with!!!
Old 02-05-2009, 09:34 PM
2008 Acura RDX

I wish that I could find someone that makes an ECU patch cord for the RDX so that I could install that between the factory harness and the ECU, then install a fuel/timing computor like the AEM fuel/ignition ecu, and do my own tuning.
That so I would'nt have to hack the factory harness!
Old 02-06-2009, 06:58 PM
Pro

Awesome! My remote starter doesn't work either!

I won't blame that one on Hondata since I don't think that is a US accessory, but it bums me out how long I put this off due to the cost, then I finally take the plunge and it looks like I'm going to have to go back to stock, at least another couple months - then I'll get the car serviced at the dealer and I won't need a remote start.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:42 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just came from a car with a Cobb access Port. I paid $695 new and sold it for $500. I just unmarried it from my car and sold it to someone with the same car.

I talked to Hondata the other day. I have a feeling the are moving to something like the AP. Who knows when though and if the RDX is even anywhere near the top of the list.

Basically the AP copies your current ECU and backs it up. Then, on the fly creates a custom version for your car with the tuned settings replacing certain things.

When you go to the dealer un-marry the AP. The new AP's also allow data logging etc. This is huge as it lets customers in different climates give feedback to the tuner.
The '08 STI got 3 revisions this way. I'm not saying Hondata didn't get theirs right the first time for everyone, but without these kinda tools you will never know.

I was so close to pulling the trigger on the Hondata ECU, but now I am not 100% sure.

Im also not sure how often Acura comes out with ECU updates, but between my last two turbo cars, I had 4 factory re-flashes.

Is Hondata the only option out here?
Old 02-17-2009, 08:43 AM
big shot.

yep
Old 02-17-2009, 10:09 AM
Pro

Hondata said they don't want to issue a handheld because then someone might copy their tunes and sell them some other way.

I really don't that that is a big concern and releasing a handheld tuner would likely increase sales more than enough to offset any program copying. Cobb is a perfect example, plus the accessport has so many other features.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:32 PM
Advanced

i'm also a little upset. paid so much, and my factory starter doesn't work.
my maintenance minder has also been reseted.

i'm also afraid to bring this in, because acura will/might reflash. then i'm back to square one.

anyone from hondata have anything to say?!
Old 02-17-2009, 06:49 PM

Received 70 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by superpowers
anyone from hondata have anything to say?!

Yes. Hi. My name is Doug and I'm the person who designed this reflash. You will find that I am quite easy to get along with.

Your concerns are noted. I have updated the RDX reflash page to include additional information on what is and is not stored in the ECU - some of which I learned just today.

Here are the Honda instructions on replacing an ECU and transferring the oil life. Three screenshots, one two and three show actual menu items.

What Honda has learned today from me is that the latest version of their diagnostic software does not seem have the ability to transfer ATF life data as per the procedure I have posted here. It will however transfer oil life.

The software that Honda uses for this is not the software Honda uses for updating the ECUs. The reflash version we have in all our ECUs is the latest version.

Last edited by hondata; 02-17-2009 at 06:52 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:29 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hondata
Yes. Hi. My name is Doug and I'm the person who designed this reflash. You will find that I am quite easy to get along with.

Your concerns are noted. I have updated the RDX reflash page to include additional information on what is and is not stored in the ECU - some of which I learned just today.
Hi Doug, Thanks for chiming in.
IMO, if it wasn't for the oil/ATF stuff, I would have already ordered a replacement ECU and just swop it out before warranty/service visits. The only other issue would be over revving the motor. This shouldn't be an issue since the RDX is Auto and IIRC, it won't let you downshift to the point for this to happen. the extra 500 rpm's is probably ok as long as enough fuel can be supplied for a given load.

I'm not sure how sophisticated the ECM is on this car, but I know APR was able to actually hide their program and lock it out via the cruise stalk on VAG cars with the Bosch ECM. This would be almost as good as an Access Port.

From what I recall, APR had an EX-Bosch guy on staff so I'm sure that helped, plus I am sure RDX ECU re-flashes aren't flying off the shelves either to justify additional R&D. This vehicle probably doesn't have the same following as most turbo cars.

Personally, Im less concerned with a dealer knowing I am running a bit more boost, vs. them thinking I am neglecting the oil changes etc, that they make you sight at purchase.

Im, still on the fence here. Now a 93oct. tune, might be just enough to get me to pull the trigger.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:25 PM
Cruisin'

I have had the Accessport for a WRX and a REVO reflash on an Audi TT. Both were great and getting the Hondata tune is not an if, but a when for me. I would love if it was as easy as the Accessport, but I understand the situation. However, why can't the dealers reflash the ECU themselves? For the Audi, I went to an authorized dealer, dropped the car off, went and had lunch, and when I came back, 35 more hp. If the dealers could do the reflash like this instead of having to mail the ECU, I would be there tomorrow.

Maybe when Honda puts the K23 into more vehicles, better things can be expected?
Old 02-18-2009, 11:18 PM
Advanced

An accessport type device would be very nice for the RDX, but given the lack of aftermarket for this vehicle you guys should be happy that at least there's a good reflash available for it.

In case anybody is wondering, Doug from Hondata is a real stand up guy. Very knowledgeable and professional. I discovered the other day that I still owe him $20 or $30 from months ago and he said don't worry about it!
Old 02-19-2009, 08:45 AM
big shot.

because its available doesnt mean its accessible, the majority of us need to make some significant arrangements, a few days, maybe renting a car, etc, for something that takes minutes. Short of dropping the 1100+, the flash makes it very difficult for ppl that need their car everyday, but on any given day would buy it if it weren't for the downtime.

That being said, i just dont agree with the fact that if i BUY this flash, and if for some reason the dealer overwrites it, id have to pay for it again (the 70+ or whatever it is), and repeat the process, that is crazy. and if I dont want to do that, i have to pay dbl and buy a 2nd computer. If I buy it, I own it, and I think thats taking advantage of some people buy not letting them have possession of the flash in cases where they would need to reflash the car themselves

I think that if the flash was much more easy to get a hold of, i cant see why anyone who knows about it would not buy it. its the ability to get it, at least for those who ive talked to, not the cost or issues with it.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by spongebobnopants
Now a 93oct. tune, might be just enough to get me to pull the trigger.
From what we can see in the datalogs, the RDX adapts its ignition/knock control to the octane of the fuel.

Up to the minute update: The Honda service manual is incorrect about the location and transfer of the ATF data. The data is stored in the gauge cluster, so the only thing reset by an ECU change is oil life and I have already posted screen shots for the process of transferring the data.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:51 AM
Intermediate

From what we can see in the datalogs, the RDX adapts its ignition/knock control to the octane of the fuel.

Up to the minute update: The Honda service manual is incorrect about the location and transfer of the ATF data. The data is stored in the gauge cluster, so the only thing reset by an ECU change is oil life and I have already posted screen shots for the process of transferring the data.
Thats good news. I think I'm just going to get the spare ECU. Have Acura change the oil the first time and switch the ecu.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by MMike1981
id have to pay for it again (the 70+ or whatever it is).
You're not paying for it again. The price charged is the Fedex priority overnight shipping with insurance.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:51 PM
Pro

Awesome info. I appreciate the updates.

So only oil life is stored in the ECU? Transmission life, rear end fluid etc. are all stored elsewhere? I just want my maintenance minder to advise me when to change these fluids without having to monitor everything. I'd imagine I will be using the stock ECU in winter so my remote start can work and the Hondata ECU in summer when I don't need the remote starter.

To get my remote start to work, I'd imagine I would need to activate the immobilizer and have the dealer do something?
Old 02-19-2009, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by cwepruk
To get my remote start to work, I'd imagine I would need to activate the immobilizer and have the dealer do something?
I only learned 48 hours ago of the existence of a remote start and so far have been unable to find information on its installation and operation. Perhaps you could direct me to the brand and installer of your remote start?

We have been told the ATF and other data is stored in the Gauge cluster.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:53 PM
Pro

It is an Acura factory remote start, something that is likely unique to Canadian vehicles. I am quite sure mine doesn't work because of the immobilizer.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:18 PM
Intermediate

My thinking on this was if its safe for 91 and even safer for 93, couldn't you maybe squeeze another .5-1psi peak or do you think the amount of boost that you are running is all there is without a DP?

I know the ECU will/could adapt to more timing if its in the table, but boost isn't just going to raise without being told to.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:08 PM
2008 Acura RDX

Yeah doug, we need a flash that raises the boost to a constant 17psi or so!!
I'm sure the fuel system can handle it!
Old 03-29-2009, 12:07 AM
Pro

What is really weird is that today, I changed my oil (15%) and swapped my Hondata back in and it stayed at 15%. This is completely different than what happened the first time I swapped it where it went to 100% from 50.