If you had to do it again, would you buy an RDX?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 09:26 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If you had to do it again, would you buy an RDX?

Hi everyone,

Well, the good news is that my 2010 RDX saved me from serious harm tonight, but the bad news is that in doing so, it took a beating when a Ford Explorer PIT maneuvered me into a jersey barrier after it lost control trying to reach for the open road of the travel lane next to me. First time and hopefully last time I see, hear and smell airbags deploying.

Regardless of which way the insurance company decides, I'm thinking that there is a new car in my near term future. I love my RDX, but with the cost of fuel being over $1 more per gallon than it was when I bought it and RI reinstating the local motor vehicle excise tax on almost the full value of the car, I'm wondering if I should go back to square one of the car shopping process and look at everything in the small SUV world or just go after a new 2011/2012 RDX.

I'm glad that I hadn't bought the new Continental DWS tires for it yet.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:36 PM
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
There will be complete remodel for 2013, you might want to wait. It will be sans turbo, but with improved fuel economy.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:21 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
If fuel economy is an issue, the RDX is not the car for you.
Looking back at the options when I got my RDX in 08, I don't think that there was any other car I would have gotten except perhaps an max, and that was well out of the price range
Old 11-02-2011, 02:33 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Any AWD SUV/CUV with about 240HP and 3980lbs curb weight will have you pay about the same money at the pump regardless of make. There is no other way around it unless your next car can generate a negative gravity field or something.

If fuel economy is your #1 concern, look for a lighter FF car with a smaller engine.

That's what I'd do if I were in your shoes. As much as I like my RDX, if I could get the money back and start anew, I'd buy a Sonata Hybrid.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:09 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
If my 08 RDX was gone and I had some $$, I think I might look at the +10 MDX w/ tech (the kid is getting taller, need the extra room). I’ve always been a Honda/Acura fan since the early 90s and I like to keep my vehicles to +150,000 miles. I think the $$ you save in repairs will offset the money you spend in gas in the long run compared to other SUV in the same RDX price range. The only out of pocket expense other than routine servicing I’ve had with my RDX at 55,000 miles were a new battery, wiper blades, alignment and tires. I’m just expecting maybe brakes, wiper blades and tires in the next 45,000 miles (excluding routine servicing).

I think it should be about saving money, not saving gas. I imagine we all have areas we could save a little $$ to offset the roller coaster gas prices (lower the thermostat 1 degree at home, take a lunch once a week, make coffee at home instead buying Starbucks, hit the $1 movie theater and skip the popcorn, etc…).
The following users liked this post:
Techgirl (11-03-2011)
Old 11-02-2011, 10:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
RDX is just a little to small and slow for me. If I was doing it over, I'd save the extra $$$ for a year and buy a Cayenne S.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:48 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for the insights, I really appreciate it. I'd love to wait for the 2013 to be released, but I think I'm going to need a new car before then. I should know by early next week after the insurance company looks at it. As for mileage, I'm actually one of those folks who consistently sees 22.5-23 MPG combined on the RDX. My SO made me give up buying the morning cup of coffee to make up for the RDX using premium. The problem is that most gas stations near me are now charging $.40-.50 more than the regular gas price for premium. Our other vehicle is a Pilot which consistently sees 19.5 MPG combined. So actually, the RDX under what I consider normal gasoline grade pricing is a better value for miles driven/$ of gasoline than the Pilot.

As for the Cayenne S, I love amethyst, but 65-68K is a bit more than a year of saving the seat cushion money to make up the difference between it and an RDX.

Thanks again for the insights.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Need some big seat cushions, I priced my dream machine out at $80k. Those 14 way leather power seats are an expensive add on, and the wheels...
Old 11-03-2011, 01:19 PM
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
I would purchase the RDX again or a MDX.

What is more important? A few extra dollars per tank or what just save your life?

Originally Posted by Techgirl

Well, the good news is that my 2010 RDX saved me from serious harm tonight, but the bad news is that in doing so, it took a beating when a Ford Explorer PIT maneuvered me into a jersey barrier after it lost control trying to reach for the open road of the travel lane next to me. First time and hopefully last time I see, hear and smell airbags deploying.
The following 2 users liked this post by JCRDX11:
Kaze66218 (11-04-2011), Techgirl (11-03-2011)
Old 11-03-2011, 01:44 PM
Intermediate

JCRDX11, thanks for your perspective. Saving my life and avoiding serious injury are most important. The crash ratings of the RDX were a key point in purchasing the RDX over the Lexus and Infinity offerings. The Honda/Acura engineers definitely have earned a lifetime of gratitude from me. Especially, now that I reflect on what I can recall happened and what I can extrapolate happened based on where my RDX ended up and where the offending Explorer ended up - about 1/10 of a mile away. I no longer think she lost control due to being aggressive during her initial lane change to the right, I think she wasn't paying attention and changed back into the left lane without looking and drove through me.

Now the MDX is tempting, but we already have a Pilot and didn't want two big SUVs.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:14 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
JCRDX11, thanks for your perspective. Saving my life and avoiding serious injury are most important. The crash ratings of the RDX were a key point in purchasing the RDX over the Lexus and Infinity offerings. The Honda/Acura engineers definitely have earned a lifetime of gratitude from me. Especially, now that I reflect on what I can recall happened and what I can extrapolate happened based on where my RDX ended up and where the offending Explorer ended up - about 1/10 of a mile away. I no longer think she lost control due to being aggressive during her initial lane change to the right, I think she wasn't paying attention and changed back into the left lane without looking and drove through me.

Now the MDX is tempting, but we already have a Pilot and didn't want two big SUVs.
How about the Toyota offerings, slightly better mileage, good reliability and similar if not cheaper price. Even a hybrid
Old 11-03-2011, 02:16 PM
2021 RDX A SPEC

Received 308 Likes on 189 Posts
well.. if you are indeed concerned about gas prices and all... and i know what alot of you are going to say...but perhaps consider a 2012 CRV EX-L Navi? you will get better fuel economy and switch up to regular gas. i dont even have to mention long term reliability and it will most likely offer the same safety ratings as the RDX. but yes, its not an acura..but you get the navi, the leather, the rear camera and the confidence that it is a honda product.

approx fuel economy of 2011/12 CRV 4WD:

CITY

Combined

Highway
Old 11-03-2011, 02:44 PM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
it all depends on what you value in the purchase. there are much better vehicles out than the RDX, and the RDX is expensive against the current competition. Its worth more if you spent a few more bucks and moved up a class to a german make or even infiniti, If you are going to go with the RDX, it better be one hell of a deal, especially with the new one around the corner. everything in the current model is outdated and old, and still expensive. not worth it imo.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:15 AM
Copy cat shinobi

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Upcoming models (just sat in one)come standard(non-tech) with rear camera integrated mirror so you can watch the little ones get ran over twice. I have 2 kids so that may be important feature to think about that previous models didn't have standard equipment.

Btw glad 2 hear you walked away from that one. The Acura line-up is very safe based on crash tests and Honda-- iydk-- owns Acura and engine reliability and that's my reason for owning one.

Fwiw, I have gone on many long trips in the RDX Cali to Florida. And MPGs are relative and should not be an issue because ymmv. If you don't mind me asking, was the RDX comfortable to you? Comfort is another thing to look at. Heh, just rolled to Miami in a Nissan cube w/34 mpg. I have never rode in anything so uncomfortable in my life. Park benches are more comfortable than this. 20+ hour drive-- I swear I was on 3lbs 2.5 inch mem foam.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:32 AM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have both the RDX and a 2011 CRV EX-L Navi. Frankly, I'm disappointed with the CRV's mileage. I average 20-21 with my RDX, and the CRV is averaging 22-23. That's a small difference in mileage for a HUGE difference in power. The CRV Navi screen is also smaller - which I find quite noticeable.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:58 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Hey Techgirl, it might be time to have a little fun and go for a used ZDX. You can get a used ZDX with Tech or maybe Advance for about the same price or cheaper than a 2012 RDX with tech (depending on mileage on the ZDX).

You would have the same room, same or better mpgs; Acura/Honda reliability; the BEST interior in the Acura line up; same sh-awd, same power/drivability; and you will have one of the coolest vehicles on the road.

This is assuming you don’t have to haul kids around. I would go for a ZDX; but, having 2 kids grown kids at home keeps it just out of reach.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:12 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad you are ok. I would consider shopping for something different each time I am ready for another vehicle.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:43 AM
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 234 Posts
Well, the good news is that my 2010 RDX saved me from serious harm tonight...
You walked away. Your safety investment paid off.

...but with the cost of fuel being over $1 more per gallon than it was when I bought it...
I don't think anyone badly injured in a small, fuel efficient car is thankful that they were saving gas.

...and RI reinstating the local motor vehicle excise tax on almost the full value of the car
You live in north RI. Here is the vehicle tax FAQ for Cumberland (in north) RI:

WHY IS MY MOTOR VEHICLE VALUE SO HIGH?

The values placed on motor vehicles are based on the number of days registered during the previous year ending 12/31.The State publishes a schedule of values each year and that value divided by 1000, times the tax rate of $19.87 per thousand equals the new value.
Yikes! The tax on an RDX, valued by RI at $35000, would be $695.45 for that year, and well over $500 for most of your ownership years.

Step 1. Buy a new RDX or similar cute-ute.

Step 2. Use it to put RI permanently in the rear view mirror.

Last edited by XLR8R; 11-04-2011 at 09:56 AM.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:07 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura604
well.. if you are indeed concerned about gas prices and all... and i know what alot of you are going to say...but perhaps consider a 2012 CRV EX-L Navi? you will get better fuel economy and switch up to regular gas. i dont even have to mention long term reliability and it will most likely offer the same safety ratings as the RDX. but yes, its not an acura..but you get the navi, the leather, the rear camera and the confidence that it is a honda product.

approx fuel economy of 2011/12 CRV 4WD:

CITY

Combined

Highway
Very true, but after you have had an RDX, the CRV pales in comparison.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:33 PM
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 234 Posts
I was joking earlier, but after reading this thread on RI Auto taxes it's not funny anymore: RI Auto Tax Extortion
Old 11-04-2011, 09:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
yes just cause of the engine and its sexy hid projectors and shrouds lol
Old 11-05-2011, 01:10 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by XLR8R
I was joking earlier, but after reading this thread on RI Auto taxes it's not funny anymore: RI Auto Tax Extortion
Wow, I guess they didn't call it "Rogue Island" for nothing.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:11 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by XLR8R
You walked away. Your safety investment paid off.

I don't think anyone badly injured in a small, fuel efficient car is thankful that they were saving gas.
I'm very lucky and grateful that I was able to turn my car off, open the door and step out without much more than a bruise and a very WTF state. My second thought after looking at my poor mangled car was that it had done its job and gave itself up to save me. By the way, the car was declared totaled by the insurance company. Not a surprise to me.

Yikes! The tax on an RDX, valued by RI at $35000, would be $695.45 for that year, and well over $500 for most of your ownership years.

Step 1. Buy a new RDX or similar cute-ute.

Step 2. Use it to put RI permanently in the rear view mirror.
If only my SO would let me make it to Step 2. Actually, I did make it to Step 2 almost 15 years ago, to be followed by Step 3 - move back to RI because that's where the SOs family is. There is a video on Youtube of a man from Warwick, RI confronting the clueless members of the illegally constituted Vehicle Value Commission.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:05 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BLEXV6
Very true, but after you have had an RDX, the CRV pales in comparison.

Very true. The Pre-2012 CRV (I don't have enough information about the 2012 model yet) is missing some, maybe not important to others, but must have features for me - For example: Homelink, and Bluetooth A2DP.

Kaze66218 - I really did enjoy my RDX. I've read other folks complain about taking long drives in the RDX, but I never found it to be tiring or uncomfortable even after 5-6 hours. I'm also one of those folks who consistently experienced 22+ MPG.

MMike1981 - You're one of the members that I usually pull a great deal of valuable insight from. While, I agree that there are aspects of the RDX that are dated - DVD NAV with a low resolution LCD, the LCD info center in the cluster that doesn't remember which display you had selected, the irritating automatic headlights that don't stay on for a period of time after you turn the car off or come on when you unlock the car at night, the lack of adjustable vents for the rear seat..., I still find the price, packaging, passenger room, and crash safety ratings of the RDX more attractive than the other luxury or semi-luxury SUV/CUVs that are considered competitors. Perhaps that's because I'm fairly certain that I can pick up a new 2012 RDX AWD Tech for around $36K plus tax. Everything else that I price out with my must haves, is easily over $42K. The thought of paying over $40K for a car regardless of whether I can afford it or not, is just unimaginable. However it is possible that I'm not looking at something that I should. I'd appreciate any suggestions that you have.

wrestrepo - I'm not a fan of Toyota. My experience is that their quality and reliability is based on their ability to keep telling everyone that they have great quality and reliability regardless of reality. The most that I've ever spent maintaining a car beyond routine items was on a Toyota - it $200-300 me to death.

Of course, now that I've made my $40K line in the pavement, the top two cars on my list at the moment to evaluate are the 2011/2012 MDX Tech and the 2012 Pilot Touring - both above $40K MSRP.

Once again thanks to all for the valuable insights.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:30 AM
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
You MIGHT want to take a look at the TSX Wagon with Tech Package. I know it is different, but you might be pleasantly surprised. They get great fuel economy, they are much sportier than folks realize and the seating is very good. You will have tons of room to load stuff and it has a power hatch. It is really quite a nice little car with great fit/finish. It is MUCH less expensive than the Pilot or the MDX.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:54 PM
big shot.

as for most of Acura's biz...Acura enjoys a comfy spot under the 40k mark. That said, the RDX will always possess great qualities if 40k or higher cannot be ratoinalized. It will always fill the no-mans land of pricy Nissans vs real tier 1 luxury. I just cannot rationalize, today, spending 38k on the RDX. (36+tax and anything else). Although it still hits a good price point, think about all you are not getting. Given all the technological updates, engine updates and options from so many other car makers, even INCLUDING Acura (no 6 speed for the RDX is pathetic, by now) I find it harder than ever to buy an RDX, even given its great resale value and reliability. Even though, I have not owned a reliable RDX, I still have faith in Acura.

most recently, my radiator exploded at 51k miles. faulty coupling on a hose inside it.

Im sorry, i just wont give acura close to 40k on a CRV with a turbo & better AWD. they need to completely overhaul the RDX to make it current with the market, then I could justify 38k (i use that because its more of a real price that includes taxes fees and drive off the lot #'s).

Its tough to recommend another CUV in the RDX range just purely based on price and performance. Nothing really touches it. If the Murano LE doesnt peak your interest, theres not much out there, and the CX-7 is a heap of trash, and now uglier than ever From the sounds of it, maybe the Q5 turbo was too pricey too, problem is with those, is actually finding the one you want, because you can build a great buy, impossible to get though.

good luck, you probably need a car ASAP, if there is anyting you could do to wait, I would, it would also certainly increase your deal on a leftover RDX if you dont care for the new one and cant find anything else.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:57 PM
big shot.

btw...imo, the MDX is and always has been Acura's finest product. Id buy that over any of your choices. It represents everything that is great about Acura, is very plushy without overkill, looks fantastic, drives great, all the tech in the world and so many things the RDX lacks, its price is actually a bargain, if you can do it, buy it.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:49 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm glad I bought the 2009 RDX+Tech when I did. I got my RDX at a great price and it's served me well since. I've taken it on long road trips, sometime loaded down with a lot of stuff, and they've all been fun and the RDX has been reliable. I do have some minor gripes: no iPod integration (I think this has been remedied in newer models), not so great fuel mileage, and dated navigation system. - I think I'm getting around ~20 mpg overall. Spending $70-80 to fill up each time gets expensive and I'm looking for significantly better fuel economy in my next vehicle. - I was expecting the iPod integration was a no-brainer in 2009, but it wasn't so. - The maps in the nav system were about 2 year out of date when I bought it in 2009. I was thinking about updating, but what's the point in having up-to-date circa 2009 maps at the end of 2011? Any integrated nav system would be hard pressed to compare to a cheap $100 handheld GPS. I'm not sure what I'd buy if I had to pick a new vehicle. Paying >$40k for another RDX would be hard for me to swallow.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:26 AM
XIS
Lizard King

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If I needed a bit more cargo space again like I used to when I had the RDX, I would certainly buy one again. It has the space and the power and reliability combo that not many other $35K crossovers have.

I love my EX35 and don't need the cargo space any more. It is sexy as hell and gets about 3mpg more than the RDX. It is faster and smoother and more luxurious, but I miss the ELS stereo and paddle shifters...
Oh, I got the RWD EX35 and although it is faster than snot on a slide, it surely does not handle in the rain like my RDX did. Not close. (on dry pavement, both handle great) Glad it only rains here like 3x a year!
Old 11-16-2011, 08:10 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Glad to hear you weren't injured. If I was in your position, I'd probably pick up a decent 3 or 4 year old replacement and see what models are released in the next year. You never know, Acura may surprise us with the 2013 RDX.

I picked up a 2007 RDX last year for around $20k and it's in beautiful shape. I'd do it again in a heartbeat because there is nothing that touches it for the price.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:07 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love my RDX, and would probably by a new one. Biggest annoyance for me is of course the fuel usage as well. And I'd love to see push button start. Cant wait for that feature. Wonder why its taking auto makers so long...

The main reason I have the RDX is SH-AWD for the crazy Canadian winters.. But if I can ever find a job down in LA/Vegas/Phoenix/Texas/Florida, I'd probably change over to a CR-V.. The new ones (2012 redesign) were just announced officially on Nov 17. Decent looking rides. 185HP (up from 180). And ~30MPG (hiway).. better than 22 I get in my RDX.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:11 AM
Intermediate

Hi everyone,

As always, great insights. What we decided to do was buy a 2012 Pilot for my SO. I'm going to take the 2009 Pilot for about a year and see what the 2013 has to offer against what is available at the time. As much as I miss my RDX, we felt that it was better to take advantage of this year's Pilot improvements and stay within our historical cycle of replacing the older car.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:26 AM
Rich and Famous

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
I looked at an RDX briefly ...
but went MDX Advance w only a German short list {X5, Q7, ML}.
It was size saftey COO style performance handeling that won me over.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:32 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by dawks
I love my RDX, and would probably by a new one. Biggest annoyance for me is of course the fuel usage as well. And I'd love to see push button start. Cant wait for that feature. Wonder why its taking auto makers so long...

The main reason I have the RDX is SH-AWD for the crazy Canadian winters.. But if I can ever find a job down in LA/Vegas/Phoenix/Texas/Florida, I'd probably change over to a CR-V.. The new ones (2012 redesign) were just announced officially on Nov 17. Decent looking rides. 185HP (up from 180). And ~30MPG (hiway).. better than 22 I get in my RDX.
I love my RDX as well and still think it's a steal (bang for the $) vs. others. SH-AWD is awesome. The sportiness drive of the vehicle is awesome! I don't mind the bit of harshness in ride. Thing feels like a sports car yet all-weather capable and utility friendly. Yes, I'd buy it again.

As long as Acura continues to put out vehicles that appeal to me I'll continue to be a loyal customer.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:17 PM
Bruin

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Seeing as we just purchased our 2012 RDX SH-AWD (no tech) yesterday, I guess it would be a "yes."
Old 12-11-2011, 11:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CreoUCLA
Seeing as we just purchased our 2012 RDX SH-AWD (no tech) yesterday, I guess it would be a "yes."
nice and congrats
Old 12-11-2011, 11:49 PM
Bruin

Originally Posted by pickler
nice and congrats
Thanks! Hoping that I'll be able to get the Hondata reflash within the next year or so...

-Mike-
Old 12-12-2011, 02:37 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CreoUCLA
Thanks! Hoping that I'll be able to get the Hondata reflash within the next year or so...

-Mike-
Same here! After I save up a little first, of course.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:22 PM
Bruin

Originally Posted by say what
Same here! After I save up a little first, of course.
I'm fairly close to Hondata. I should contact them to see if they need a 2012 tester...
Old 12-12-2011, 06:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

my lease was over a few months ago and i'm glad i bought out my RDX. If i returned that car i would have had to buy a v6 rdx with No sh-awd, no thank you.

Quick Reply: If you had to do it again, would you buy an RDX?