I used something else rather than ATF-Z1. Safe??

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 02:40 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used something else rather than ATF-Z1. Safe??

So when I first got my RDX. I thought it would be a good idea to put more trans fluid into it because it was low. I went to the parts store and I found valvoline transmission fluid. On the back it said it was universal for a lot of vehicles and it had a list of all compatible oils it could work with and ATF-Z1 was on the list..

is my car car going to be okay?
Old 12-02-2018, 04:15 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by Stephenjp13
So when I first got my RDX. I thought it would be a good idea to put more trans fluid into it because it was low. I went to the parts store and I found valvoline transmission fluid. On the back it said it was universal for a lot of vehicles and it had a list of all compatible oils it could work with and ATF-Z1 was on the list..

Possibly, and some would say definitely. Personally I'd change that stuff out as soon as I could and put in Honda DW-1 (which has superseded Z1). My contention with universal fluids is they cannot possibly have the correct coefficient of friciton (CoF) as specified by each manufacturer unless there is some magic chemical in each bottle which says, "Hey, I'm in a Honda, now I'll morph my friction modifiers to match Honda's specifications". Since neither Honda or the maker of the universal ATF you used publish friction properties of their ATFs, you have to go on the word of the universal maker the CoF is correct. Personally I do not believe it.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I am not overly concerned about the universal ATF, I am sure your transmission would be fine. As stated above, drain and refill with Honda DW1 as soon as reasonably possible. A 3x3 drain/refill would be wise. Be sure to use new gaskets and wipe the magnet. There should be a layer of very fine metal particles but no large pieces.

Honestly I am more concerned that you may have improperly checked your ATF and overfilled the transmission. Be sure to consult your owners manual on proper technique. The difference on the dipstick can vary wildly if done incorrectly.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:08 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How would I go about this 3x3 refill? I am not experienced with flushing out oils, but I can say that I can REFILL.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 694 Likes on 536 Posts
How would I go about this 3x3 refill? I am not experienced with flushing out oils, but I can say that I can REFILL.
3x3 is a way to flush out most of the ATF out of your transmission. Single drain and refill only removes 1/3 of the fluid. So you do it 3 times to get most of the old fluid out. Search DIY section for instructions on how to do it. Your trans hold about 9qt of fluid, but only 3qt comes out when you drain it.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:29 AM
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Here is a video from the 3G TL, the process is basically the same. If you are patient and have a fluid pump with a small enough outlet, you can fill through the dipstick instead of the main fill bolt. Basically, you would complete this process of drain, refill, drive the car about 20 minutes through all gears, then repeat for a total of 3 drains/refills. Be prepared with a case of Honda DW-1 (12 bottles) and new crush gaskets for the fill/drain bolts. Please check your fluid level on each refill per your owners manual: You must be on a level surface, start the car with accessories off (interior air off), wait until the radiator fan comes on for the first time (engine is up to temp). Shut the engine off and check fluid between 30-60 seconds after doing so. The fluid level is highly sensitive and must be read according to the owners manual. This isn't as forgiving as engine oil. Good luck!

Old 12-09-2018, 06:46 PM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
Drain, refill, drive around for a few days, repeat 3x...

Yep.... You're doing 3 separate drain and fills...

But that'll get that junk out... ATF-Z1 is out of production, DW1 is the OEM replacement fluid...

Last edited by Midnight Mystery; 12-09-2018 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Dw1
Old 12-09-2018, 06:47 PM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
Originally Posted by AlbinLee
Here is a video from the 3G TL, the process is basically the same. If you are patient and have a fluid pump with a small enough outlet, you can fill through the dipstick instead of the main fill bolt. Basically, you would complete this process of drain, refill, drive the car about 20 minutes through all gears, then repeat for a total of 3 drains/refills. Be prepared with a case of Honda DW-1 (12 bottles) and new crush gaskets for the fill/drain bolts. Please check your fluid level on each refill per your owners manual: You must be on a level surface, start the car with accessories off (interior air off), wait until the radiator fan comes on for the first time (engine is up to temp). Shut the engine off and check fluid between 30-60 seconds after doing so. The fluid level is highly sensitive and must be read according to the owners manual. This isn't as forgiving as engine oil. Good luck!

ATF Change 3G TL

This is a good example^^^