How good is 1st gen RDX IN SNOW

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 10:20 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How good is 1st gen RDX IN SNOW

Hey guys I got an 2008 RDX couple months ago and I was wondering how well does the RDX drive in snow? My previous car was a jeep and I didn't even need to shovel to get it out my driveway .
Old 11-04-2015, 08:13 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Tires, Tires, Tires and driving skills.

When I around 50%-60% tread on OEM tires and 4-5 inches of wet slushy snow the RDX drove like it was on ice skating ring compared to my fwd TSX with Conti DWS tires with the same amount of tire wear. The OEM tires did a better job on fresh drier snow compared to real slushy stuff (Conti DWS better in wet and drier snow). Because the turbo can takes some time to spool (less time with Hondata), the low hp at low rpms is helpful when trying to get traction on the slick stuff.

Last edited by mrgold35; 11-04-2015 at 08:15 AM.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:04 AM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'll let you know! We got this vehicle in part to help us get around the snowy mountains of WV when we visit my wife's family over the holidays. But yeah tires make a huge difference so I am shopping for good all-purpose snow-competent tires right now (we get no snow really to speak of down south so it isn't worth it for us to get dedicated snow tires)
Old 11-04-2015, 11:11 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I live in the country, and the RDX was amazing when driving in 6-12in of snow! Of course, good winter tires are a must, but paired with the SH-AWD system, I find the RDX to be amazing in the snow
Old 11-04-2015, 12:47 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
My '09 absolutely killed it in the snow/ice last winter!

The SHAWD is possibly one of best AWD systems made. We had a severe ice storm last winter, and I had no issues getting traction. I passed by MANY 4wd truck that just couldn't get any traction.

Now, all that aside, any vehicle only preforms as good as it's tires and driver's ability.
Old 11-04-2015, 01:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 204 Posts
In all honesty tires mean more than drive train when it comes to snow. I'd take FWD on winter tires over AWD on all-seasons any day of the week. If you're going to be dealing with snow consistently, a winter wheel/tire combo is a good investment. Otherwise slow and steady is the way to go.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
We are just starting to have snow here, But it has thankfully been too warm to have any snow that stays on the ground. I agree with what everyone else has said, you need good tires to have good traction. A good AWD system can work wonders when it has the right tires.

I have a brand new set of Michelin x-ice 2 tires in the garage, waiting till the white stuff flies to mount them on my rims. Don't have much snow in the forecast.

on a sidenote, I imagine the SH-AWD being able to overturn one of the rear wheels should lead to some very nice late night icy parking lot shenanigans .
Old 11-05-2015, 09:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 204 Posts
Put snows in the front and leave the regulars on the rear and go nuts. (as long as they're all the same diameter)
Old 11-05-2015, 11:55 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by RDX10
We are just starting to have snow here
I'm still cruising my roadster with the top down! I'm so thankful to live in the south!!!
Old 11-05-2015, 12:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Tomtwtwtw
Put snows in the front and leave the regulars on the rear and go nuts. (as long as they're all the same diameter)
That would be a hell of a good time in a snowy parking lot

Originally Posted by Jdrum1
I'm still cruising my roadster with the top down! I'm so thankful to live in the south!!!
Normally you would expect me to be upset, but I absolutely LOVE the snow and can't wait. I used to hate winter when I was younger, now I love it and am sad to see it go.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:37 PM
Racer

Normally you would expect me to be upset, but I absolutely LOVE the snow and can't wait. I used to hate winter when I was younger, now I love it and am sad to see it go.
Yep, I hate cold weather!!!!
Old 11-05-2015, 01:35 PM
10th Gear

I just got caught in a snowstorm on a roadtrip in the Sierra Nevadas with my newly purchased 07 RDX, and it was a dream. I was shocked.

The snow tires were already on the car, so that helped.
It had no issues in the drifts or the ice cover the next day.

I'm from Seattle, and we know nothing about snow, so I'm glad my car did
Old 11-05-2015, 11:02 PM
Cruisin'

This will be our third winter with our 2010 RDX SHAWD TECH. We live in northern Alberta Canada. The roads are rarely plowed, poorly maintained, they don't use salt. And at best they put some gravel on them. They are very icy all winter. Lots of deep powder and pcaked slick snow.

Our RDX came with dunlop Grandtrek SJ6 winter tires and they were good. Last year I switched to Bridgestone blizzak DM-V1's. They complement the RDX and my driving style well.

The RDX is a beast in all winter conditions. From ice, slush or 16 inches of snow in the mountain passes.

But it has its downside. For example stopped at a light on ice the RDX sends most of the power to the front wheels they start to slip and rather than split the power better it cuts the power before sending more to the rear. Turn off VSA and it pulls away a lot quicker. Go easy on the throttle and it's fine. This is a design flaw in the RDX'S FWD biased SHAWD all the other SHAWD equipped vehicles transfer the power to the rear quicker.

Overall it's a beast in the winter. And handles the worst conditions you'll find in comfort and control.
Old 11-06-2015, 12:16 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by rdxron
This will be our third winter with our 2010 RDX SHAWD TECH. We live in northern Alberta Canada. The roads are rarely plowed, poorly maintained, they don't use salt. And at best they put some gravel on them. They are very icy all winter. Lots of deep powder and pcaked slick snow.

Our RDX came with dunlop Grandtrek SJ6 winter tires and they were good. Last year I switched to Bridgestone blizzak DM-V1's. They complement the RDX and my driving style well.

The RDX is a beast in all winter conditions. From ice, slush or 16 inches of snow in the mountain passes.

But it has its downside. For example stopped at a light on ice the RDX sends most of the power to the front wheels they start to slip and rather than split the power better it cuts the power before sending more to the rear. Turn off VSA and it pulls away a lot quicker. Go easy on the throttle and it's fine. This is a design flaw in the RDX'S FWD biased SHAWD all the other SHAWD equipped vehicles transfer the power to the rear quicker.

Overall it's a beast in the winter. And handles the worst conditions you'll find in comfort and control.
sorry to go off topic, I am from central Alberta, what city are you from?

Everytime I hear about how inferior the RDX SHAWD system is I get so irritated...but I will leave that rant to my other thread.....
Old 11-06-2015, 01:58 AM
Cruisin'

Grande Prairie, how about you?
Old 11-06-2015, 02:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Grande Prairie, how about you?
Oh you are about 5 hours out, I am from Edmonton!
Old 11-06-2015, 02:45 AM
Cruisin'

Oh you are about 5 hours out, I am from Edmonton!
I bought my RDX in Edmonton
Old 11-06-2015, 08:40 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Have you tried using the paddles to up-shift into 2nd gear at a stop to see if the higher gearing would help with gaining traction on ice? It suppose to be an added feature for that reason; but, I've never gave it a try.
Old 11-06-2015, 12:21 PM
Suzuka Master

I bought my RDX in Edmonton
Oh cool! My brother in law went out to grand prairie a couple weeks ago for some work upgrading.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:25 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by mrgold35
Have you tried using the paddles to up-shift into 2nd gear at a stop to see if the higher gearing would help with gaining traction on ice? It suppose to be an added feature for that reason; but, I've never gave it a try.
Yes but that is only to help modulate the throttle and I could see where that would help a lot if I didn't run winter tires but I do and I have no issue modulating the throttle.

I'm talking about trying to leave a light or stop sign as quickly as possible. Whether my lane is ending or I'm pulling onto a highway or just hooning around.

When I test drove my RDX it already had winter tires on it and they had lots of tread and were in great condition the roads were very icy and the temperature was -26 Celsius. I also test drove a 2012 CRV with winter tires on it but they were in poor condition and very little tread left. The CRV was pulling away from icy stops much quicker and with less interference from VSA because it splits the power 50% front 50% rear which gets the car moving. The RDX starts to spin the front tires and VSA cuts the power and your not going anywhere quickly. The system should split the power and would if it was the same as the other vehicles with SHAWD but it's not designed that way and has its draw backs.

In short because the CRV splits the power, it puts the power down better from an icy stop. Once on the move especially on the highway the RDX blows the CRV away and the comparison is over. And obviously on dry pavement the CRV doesn't have a chance.

It's a small programming thing in the rdx's SHAWD that makes me wonder how much winter testing they actually did and if they are even aware that these kinds of conditions exist. If only Acura/Honda did follow ups with there customers to see what little things they could make better with a simple reflash.

The way around this is to turn off VSA mash the go peddle and take off with all four tires getting power and spinning. It's a lot of fun and I have no problem pushing a button before having some fun.
Old 11-07-2015, 10:31 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Ive driven into a farmers field with the snow half way up my door and the car kept going... its a beast in the snow. Just take the TCS off and use the throttle to steer the car.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:52 AM
FLETCH

Received 146 Likes on 108 Posts
it depends on your tires!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! get good tires and you'll go far