Honda Safety and the RDX DRLs

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 02:23 AM
haole kama'a-ina

Received 123 Likes on 72 Posts
Honda Safety and the RDX DRLs

Since 1995, DRLs have gotten off to a rocky start. GM ignored the European candela limits and placed full power high-beam DRLs in service, alienating drivers from a valuable active safety tool. Is it any surprise that GM is behind this mess??

It has been a long road, but U.S. DRL implementation has evolved to what it should have been from the beginning, and the RDX system represents the most evolved DRL thinking: a low power yellowish light that is sufficient to get attention, with minimal negative effect.

Honda's system of 50% power high-beam DRL (<1200 candela):

does not throw distracting glare into viewing driver's vision,

does not compromise emergency vehicle recognition,

does not compromise the use of bright flash-to-pass for signaling other drivers,

does not mask or inhibit turn signal recognition,

minimizes masking effect of vulnerable road users (motorcycles),

does not throw sufficient light for night operation, thus insuring the driver will activate headlights/taillights during darkness.

A review of DRL opponents grievances shows that they are largely opposed to earlier generation DRLs -- and not without cause -- but they are decidedly single issue activists: lightsout.org lists automakers as either "friends" or "enemies" solely on DRL policy.

"Enemies"?? Perhaps there are sleeper cells of fanatical DRL drivers waiting for Osama to give the signal.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:01 AM
Trailingthrottleoversteer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good points, but I think the new Audi LED DRL's are actually the apex of the technology right now and worth a mention.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:34 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My parents old 91 Corsica used full power on the headlights. In daytime traffic, it really wasn't bright enough to cause any issues IMO. I personally hate the amber DRL's (Caravan's for example).

I like the foglight DRL that my SRT-4 had.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:19 PM
haole kama'a-ina

Originally Posted by F.Rizzo
Good points, but I think the new Audi LED DRL's are actually the apex of the technology right now and worth a mention.
I agree with you; LEDs are the newest technology, and we will see greater implementation in the future.

LEDs operate much cooler, are more shock resistant, have a service life exceeding 100,000 hours and draw about 1/10 the amperage, resulting in greater fuel efficiency.

The present hurdle is cost, as noted in this USA Today acticle:

Car buyers to see the light in LEDs (excerpted)

By Chris Woodyard and James R. Healey, USA TODAY

The breakthrough now is making them bright enough for automotive headlights and daytime running lights. But they're coming at a high price, at least initially.

"For now, it's so expensive it'll be for niche models," says Michael Hamm, head of the innovative lighting unit at Automotive Lighting in Reutlingen, Germany. He worked with Audi on the LED headlights.

He says such lights could cost eight times as much as already-expensive high-intensity discharge, or HID, lights. They're those icy blue headlights that some motorists say create too much glare for oncoming drivers.

HID headlights can run $800 to $1,000 a pair to replace, says Fred Snow, an executive of automotive lighting company Hella, who was manning a display at the Specialty Equipment Market Association show here.
The Germans have a fondness for cutting edge, expensive technology; which seems to appeal to the high-end German car buyer -- who only keeps his car through a leasing or warranty period -- buying new every four years or so. (IMO at least, as a reformed VW/Audi/Porsche buyer.)

Honda alternatively, designs simple, low cost, low failure systems that achieve their objective, with long service life (their new catch-word is "Simplify") This appeals to the "buy-and-hold" philosophy of most Asian car buyers, who expect to keep their vehicles 10+ years.

Honda has met the DRL objectives outlined above with a simple, pre-existing and easily replaced 9005 bulb. I think you'll see them move to LED tech when it meets their performance and economy standards.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:23 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Keep in mind, LED's are fairly cheap, reliable and don't really burn out.

But the bulb also doubles as a high beam, which is somethign a DRL LED couldn't do.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:30 PM
haole kama'a-ina

P.S.

A classic example of the Deutscher penchant for technology, is BMW's removal of the oil dipstick. The simple, tried and true, fail-proof dipstick was replaced with electronic monitoring -- which is malfunctioning -- causing owners to overfill their engine oil.

The correct level can only be determined by connecting to a dealership refill machine. Ah -- technological progress.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:14 PM
Trailingthrottleoversteer

Originally Posted by 737 Jock
P.S.

A classic example of the Deutscher penchant for technology, is BMW's removal of the oil dipstick. The simple, tried and true, fail-proof dipstick was replaced with electronic monitoring -- which is malfunctioning -- causing owners to overfill their engine oil.

The correct level can only be determined by connecting to a dealership refill machine. Ah -- technological progress.

Heh. You're tellin me?! I'll pass on the german thing for now.

Maybe you can explain how the 3.0 litre 6 cyl engine in my E46 only managed 225 HP ? The most irritating thing about paying $45k for car is being smoked by a Del Sol (J/K).
Old 12-01-2007, 10:51 PM
Intermediate

that comment makes me miss my old delsol!!... LoL
Old 12-01-2007, 11:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by F.Rizzo
Heh. You're tellin me?! I'll pass on the german thing for now.

Maybe you can explain how the 3.0 litre 6 cyl engine in my E46 only managed 225 HP ? The most irritating thing about paying $45k for car is being smoked by a Del Sol (J/K).
Power to weight ratio, my friend...

Remember the Lotis Elise? With only a small 140 HP engine... it kicked butt many cars several times it's HP. The car is so light (simply a carbon fibre shell with very few luxury amenities)... accelerating fast and htting top speeds faster was really easily accomplished...