Help Obtaining Device Serial Numbers for Stolen 2011 RDX

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 10:48 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help Obtaining Device Serial Numbers for Stolen 2011 RDX

I'm not sure anyone will be able to help, but I thought I would give it a shot.

Last week, my 2011 RDX with Turbo Package was stolen from my home. It's been reported as stolen to the police, who could care less, so I'm trying everything within my power to locate it myself. It came equipped with On Star, but I believe the subscription is not currently active. I also believe there is something wrong with my account because OnStar claims they can't even find my account in the system, but I know OnStar is there because I have spoken to them from my car multiple times when I accidentally called 911 and when I set up my BlueTooth. There was a CD in the glove compartment with all of the On Star service info in it, as well as all of my XM/Sirius info.

I've called everyone and every service in an attempt to find out what to do to obtain the serial numbers from the 'Anti-Theft ID Card' which you need to activate the 'Stolen Car Assistance/Location' services. Not the Radio/Code numbers. I have those. I need the Serial Numbers which were apparently only on that one piece of paper, in the glove compartment of my stolen vehicle.

I'm perfectly willing to pay whatever OnStar wants me to pay to activate the service, I was unaware the subscription had expired, and I hadn't recently locked myself out of my car, so hadn't used the service in awhile. I was receiving service updates, etc, and have an active XM/Sirius subscription, so thought that was what the subscription was through. I've called both of my closest Acura dealers, and they have been less than any help in retrieving the serial numbers. Called Acura corporate, they claim not to have the serial numbers, and state that the 'Radio Manufacturer' is the only one who has that. However when I spoke to Sirius/XM this afternoon, they told me that the manufacturer and model of my radio is a "Honda_Data_C90 XM Honda Multi-Service" unit. I cannot find anything with that specific name when I search on the internet. The radio was supposedly a Pioneer unit, according to Acura, but not surprised after the run-around I've received thus far. I did purchase it used from a Lexus Dealer, so that's probably the reason for the run-around. I'm so dejected at the lack of assistance and/or willingness from anyone but the nice person from XM today, and he was the first in over 2 weeks, that I'm about ready to give up and take the bus for awhile. One of my Acura dealers actually yelled at me and asked me what I expected him to do, and that AcuraLink only worked in 2016 Acuras or newer. He should read his own publications more often.

I attached a photo of the card that's referenced online, on my Acura Owners website of the serial numbers I'm looking for. I'm sure most of you already know what I'm talking about. I have my VIN and I actually did obtain the Radio ID code from Sirius as well, but without that Serial Number to the Radio, both On Star and Acura refuse to activate the Lost Car/Vehicle services for me, and the police aren't about to lift a finger to issue a warrant to have them do it either, so this was sort of a last-ditch attempt to see if anyone else knew of any other way to obtain those serial numbers without having physical access to your car. Being that it is currently in Grand Theft Auto mode, and inaccessible to me. I'm happy to provide anyone privately with the Police report number if you're able to assist, and to provide a reward in the amount of my deductible for any assistance you can provide. I really would like my car back, I don't have any desire to shop for a new one.

Thank you in advance for your assistance, I greatly appreciate any help or advice.

Sincerely,
Nicole

Anti-Theft ID with Serial Numbers
Old 07-11-2018, 06:21 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
wont help you....gotta take the radio unit out to find the serial number on the back of the unit. then you have to call in or visit an acura dealer with this serial number to get the radio code.

You are looking for trouble if you are actively out there searching for the car.
I know it hurts to have your baby stolen, but you have to remain calm and let the police and insurance look for the car. Let them do their job.

if it was a joy ride, it will turn up shortly.
if it isnt, what are you going to do? confront these people who have no regard for other's property? maybe they will have no regard for human life.
just a thought
Old 07-11-2018, 06:27 AM

perhaps a better idea would be to put up lost kitty fliers.
hopefully you have some pictures of the car and have documents of the vin and plate numbers.

Post up pictures of your car on social media "stolen car, need help spotting...Call non-emergency police number if spotted"
Post the plate number as well.

this way people will know to be on the look out for your RDX and if they see it, they will call the non-emergency police number, because it feels good to help others.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:05 AM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Naive question, but how was the car stolen? I thought today's cars have the special keys that will disengage the engine if tampered with? I haven't heard cars being stolen lately with the passive engine kill switches. Just curious.
Good luck in retrieving yours though. Sorry you have to go through this.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:21 AM
5th Gear

I have a video that shows them with one of those hacking devices. There was no forced entry and there are reports of at least 6-7 other people in my 1-mile radius who had reported break-ins in the same manner. They specifically rifled peoples glove compartments, center consoles, stole the manuals, stole peoples clothes/dry cleaning, garage door openers, etc. Most of the time they broke in a few days prior and people had no idea, then they steal the car a few days later. :-( I’ve read a lot about how the GPS/Nav Systems are highly hackable. Just don’t get why my car in particular. There was another RDX in my complex too, but maybe not the same year.

I find it hard to believe someone somewhere doesn’t have the information kept in a database somewhere. I’m going to try OnStar again today,

Thanks for the message. I appreciate it.

Originally Posted by hues10
Naive question, but how was the car stolen? I thought today's cars have the special keys that will disengage the engine if tampered with? I haven't heard cars being stolen lately with the passive engine kill switches. Just curious.
Good luck in retrieving yours though. Sorry you have to go through this.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:35 AM
5th Gear

I wasn’t asking for assistance locating my stolen car, I was simply asking if anyone knew of an alternate way to find the serial numbers. I’m supposed sit back and let the police do their jobs, aren’t I?

I’m in Scottsdale, AZ, the police know the car was last seen while attempting to use someone else’s stolen credit cards in Glendale and Goodyear, AZ, and haven’t done a thing since. If it’s people like you who have nothing better to do than amuse themselves by posting rude and unhelpful commentary who are keeping their eye out, then I highly doubt a location and photo is going to help me. But thank you anyways.

Originally Posted by justnspace

I'm not the one with the stolen car here.

perhaps you could have provided us a picture and told us your location, and maybe we can be on the look out for it...
Old 07-11-2018, 08:37 AM

why not???? Pictures and locations help MILLIONS of people locate their stolen car on the internet...
it's the modern day "lost puppy flier"

I'm sorry you have to go through this....

p.s. you came at me rude with the sarcasm...I only clapped back...if you cant take the heat....

p.s.s. it's always the owners responsibility to record serial numbers....in case things get stolen.

Last edited by justnspace; 07-11-2018 at 08:39 AM.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:52 AM
2006 NBP TL MT6/ 02TL-S

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Are you sure you even want that vehicle back after God knows who has done God knows what to it? If it did ever show up, no telling how they may have ragged it out & some damage might not show up for awhile. I would sure have it checked out really well by a good mechanic-hopefully insurance would pay on it if it was stolen & damaged.
Hopefully (surely) you have auto insurance that covers thief. I know that sucks and insurance doesn't ever really cover everything 100% you have in a vehicle. Sorry for your bad luck..
Old 07-12-2018, 11:04 AM
5th Gear

Wink

Originally Posted by justnspace
why not???? Pictures and locations help MILLIONS of people locate their stolen car on the internet...
it's the modern day "lost puppy flier"

I'm sorry you have to go through this....

p.s. you came at me rude with the sarcasm...I only clapped back...if you cant take the heat....

p.s.s. it's always the owners responsibility to record serial numbers....in case things get stolen.
Really? You don't think you're ENTIRE comment about posting lost kitten fliers was rude and sarcastic? Get some help dude. NOT helpful. At all.

And FYI, I already have the radio code, so you're completely wrong there. XM/Sirius had that and gave it to me. Both the 5-digit one, that you have to enter when you have your battery changed out, as well as the 8-digit one that's on the radio itself when you have to call into Sirius to have your radio network refreshed.

Still don't believe that someone at Honda isn't sitting with a database somewhere with these serial numbers. There would be no reason to create the serial number in the first place if there wasn't a computer somewhere keeping track of it. Totally send me your resume, though, so I can submit it to the detective on this case next time I chat with him. I'm sure they're hiring since he complained about his 600+ cases he had assigned. Lots of work.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:08 AM
5th Gear

I guess I can't answer that until I were to see my car. I DO know I would like my car back to at least attempt to recover some of the things that were inside it, no matter what the state of the car. Assumptions are worthless. And I would rather be without a car for awhile than have to deal with the scum of the earth otherwise known as used car salesmen. I just threw up in my mouth a little bit thinking about it.

Insurance will never give me what it's worth. So yeah. I guess I'd rather take my chances having my car back, to answer your question.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 204 Posts
A good insurance will give you a market-adjusted price to replace your car. i.e. They should pay you what it costs to buy another RDX of the same year and mileage in your area - *not* the KBB wholesale value or whatever. They did this with my wife's Fit when it was totaled in an accident 3 years ago. We were able to get a replacement car one year newer, in the same mileage and condition, and had $2k left over from the payout. It helps that first gen Fit's hold their value quite well, but even so that just shows that the insurance did the right thing by paying out high.

That said, I work in Scottsdale - feel free to share as many details of your car as you can, especially distinctive items that would separate it from another similar RDX. There aren't a ton of 1st gen's out here (even though chances are yours is down south by now, unfortunately).
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (07-12-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 12:23 PM

we have TONS of arizona members here, that could be an extra set of eyes......