Has anyone installed a rear facing baby seat in the RDX?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 09:48 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone installed a rear facing baby seat in the RDX?

Saw a thread on whether it works, but I'm more interested in how difficult it is to install.

For someone like me who can put together ikea bookcases but not much else, will I be able to do it myself?
Old 06-21-2007, 10:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Should be pretty easy. Slide the front seats all the way forward first to give yourself some room.

The only thing that I see is that there is no place for a forward tether to attach. I used the seat rails in our Forester and Impreza. Adding the tether adds a LOT of stability.

If you use the center position you may have to use a towel underneath the driver side of the seat base because the seat is not level.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:31 PM
Pro

Installing the car seat should be pretty straight forward, especially if your car seat has LATCH. Is it an infant car seat or a convertible (can face both ways)? Second how old in the child going in it? If it is a new born you want the seat in the middle of the backseat, preferably in a infant car seat. Find the LATCH anchors and pull it tight (I find it best to have two people install the car seat, one to push down on the car seat and the other to pull the belt tight). The car seat or the infant base should have a something to help make it level. If the leveler is not enough to make it parallel to the floor use a towel or a piece of pool noodle to make it flat.

If the car seat is rear facing DO NOT use the tether to tie the front of it to the floor. Doing this creates a greater risk of injury as the car seat cannot rebound in an accident (thereby absorbing shock). The tethers are great for the forward facing seating because it helps accomplish the goal of making the car seat as close to being apart of the adult seat as possible.

If you have more questions feel free to ask and I will answer as soon as possible. In a college job I had I literally installed hundreds of seats and was apart of several car seat checks with the safe kids coalition. Worst comes to worst call your local police or fire station and make sure someone who knows exactly how to install these seats will be there and they can do it for you or at least help you do it right.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:46 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by fish008
Installing the car seat should be pretty straight forward, especially if your car seat has LATCH. Is it an infant car seat or a convertible (can face both ways)? Second how old in the child going in it? If it is a new born you want the seat in the middle of the backseat, preferably in a infant car seat. Find the LATCH anchors and pull it tight (I find it best to have two people install the car seat, one to push down on the car seat and the other to pull the belt tight). The car seat or the infant base should have a something to help make it level. If the leveler is not enough to make it parallel to the floor use a towel or a piece of pool noodle to make it flat.

If the car seat is rear facing DO NOT use the tether to tie the front of it to the floor. Doing this creates a greater risk of injury as the car seat cannot rebound in an accident (thereby absorbing shock). The tethers are great for the forward facing seating because it helps accomplish the goal of making the car seat as close to being apart of the adult seat as possible.

If you have more questions feel free to ask and I will answer as soon as possible. In a college job I had I literally installed hundreds of seats and was apart of several car seat checks with the safe kids coalition. Worst comes to worst call your local police or fire station and make sure someone who knows exactly how to install these seats will be there and they can do it for you or at least help you do it right.
actually haven't bought one yet because baby isn't due for another 3 months. Just people I know all seem to be going and having car seats installed by professionals and that seems a little unnecessary.

Will be an infrant seat and probably be a base with a detachable seat for the stroller

Why do you want the seat in the middle rather than on the passenger side? Would seemingly be easier access on the side.

I looked at the manual, and it doesn'tshow how to connect a baby seat, though it does show the front-facing child seat, so at least I know where the latches are now.

thanks for your help, will probably have more questions when my wife tells me which particular car seat she thinks we should get.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:24 PM
Pro

First of all congrats on the baby!

You can do the install on your own, its very easy. I think my directions are detailed enough to make it pretty easy, if not I can be more detailed. You want the car seat in the middle of the back seat because if you were to be involved in a accident (side impact) you want the child as far away from that side as possible and because you cannot predict the side you could be hit on you go for the middle.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:05 PM
Burning Brakes

So you are recommending ignoring the most respected seat manufacturer's instructions? No thank you. I think your advice is ill-advised and dangerous. My Britax seat instructions say to use the tether in both directions, and I will continue to do so unless they issue a retraction. Your reasoning sounds like the old "I'd rather be thrown clear of the accident" contrary mentality that people used to argue against seatbelt use.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:52 PM
Burning Brakes

I lost my edit capability, but I just wanted to add: fish008, don't take it personally. I would recommend you not give out that kind of advice, even if you are right. The liability aspect is just not worth it. When you were getting paid to do it is one thing, but I would not give out free safety advice over the internet. Just not worth it. Sorry if I came off harsh--it is just something I feel strongly about.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:23 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mvwood
Saw a thread on whether it works, but I'm more interested in how difficult it is to install.

For someone like me who can put together ikea bookcases but not much else, will I be able to do it myself?
In many cities you can go to your local police and actually have them show you how to install one of these. Maybe this is an option where you live as well.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:56 PM
Racer

To the orginal poster, yes, I put a rear-facing seat in 2 weeks after getting the RDX, and with the latch system, it was a piece of cake.

Nothing to worry about - just follow the instructions that come with the seat/base.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:49 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by MikeRDXNJ
In many cities you can go to your local police and actually have them show you how to install one of these. Maybe this is an option where you live as well.
This is what I am saying...it is an option and always a good one.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:31 AM
Pro

Brizey is right...read the owners manual and install it exactly how the manufacture recommends.

Check out this link (Specifically page 10, installing the seat rear facing): http://www.gracobaby.com/assets/pdfs.../ISPC001BD.pdf

This is for a convertible car seat and included the installation instructions and you will see it says "DO NOT use tether rear facing. Tether must be stored." If tethers were so great for rear facing they would be on infant car seat bases too…which they are not.

Britax makes great seats but I do not agree with their recommendation to use the tether rear facing, and neither do other manufactures. I know for a fact without even looking it up, but I did, http://www.britaxusa.net/pdf/guide_marathon.pdf , that Britax recommends using a rear facing tether, but you will also notice in those installation instructions that they do not recommend using the tether rear facing unless you have a specific mounting point for it. Also it says "DO NOT hook the Versa-Tether to the bottom of a vehicle seat adjuster." Curious as to where your rear facing tether is attached Brizey. Britax goes on to say that installation of the tether is optional but will improve the stability of the seat...no mention of safety improvements.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:58 AM
Pro

Another quote from Evenflo: https://plweb.evenflo.com/faq_detail.aspx?faqid=4725

or other:
https://plweb.evenflo.com/product_se...chDOM=2/8/2006 : click this link and then click the "TRIUMPH INSTRUCTIONS, 10/05." GO to page 19 of 23 or page 35 within the owners manual inself you will see on the top right side it says "the tether strap is for forward-facing use only."

Do you want me to explain the physics of why you do not use the tether rear facing? Retract your earlier statement.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Another quote from Evenflo: https://plweb.evenflo.com/faq_detail.aspx?faqid=4725

or other:
https://plweb.evenflo.com/product_se...chDOM=2/8/2006 : click this link and then click the "TRIUMPH INSTRUCTIONS, 10/05." GO to page 19 of 23 or page 35 within the owners manual inself you will see on the top right side it says "the tether strap is for forward-facing use only."

Do you want me to explain the physics of why you do not use the tether rear facing? Retract your earlier statement.
I still think the best recommendation is to follow the instructions as carefully as possible.

I attached it to the seat rails, not the seat adjustment mechanism (only possible if the back/middle seat slides). Britax even provides the tether attachment to do it. See page 27 of the manual posted about using the provided strap to attach to a "seat leg". I was just following the instructions provided with the seat as best I could.

That being said, since it IS optional, I will do some more research. I may even write Britax to see what they say.

Note: I edited this post to take out my own personal comments. I do not want this to go any farther.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:23 AM
2nd Gear

how does the rear facing car set positioned in the middle impact the ability of the front seats to be moved back?
Old 06-22-2007, 10:24 AM
Burning Brakes

fish008:

How do you feel about the "Australian method" where you use the tether to a ceiling mounting point? It would affect re-bound less.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:27 PM
Pro

I am not familiar with the "Australian method" - do they do that for the forward or rear facing? I think that when rear facing no tether should be used but the forward facing a tether is very important. As long as the tether is used properly and attached to a specifically designed point, I wouldnt have a problem with that; but I don't know anything about the "Australian method."

I hope my comments didnt make me appear to be a jerk, I am just very passionate about safety. PERIOD. I just wanted to make sure everyone, children included, are as safe as they can be.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:37 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by sevenbelow
how does the rear facing car set positioned in the middle impact the ability of the front seats to be moved back?
If the car seat is in the middle of the back seat the best thing would be to have it fit between the two front seats without touching either of them. The same goes for installing the seat on either side of the back, try to keep it from touching the seat. With that being said sometimes that is something that is unavoidable so you just have to do the best that you can. If this was a perfect world all seats would fit in every car perfectly or everyone with kids would buy a new car but both of thoses are not realistic so you have to make do sometimes.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:20 PM
Burning Brakes

I am not familiar with the "Australian method" - do they do that for the forward or rear facing?
It is in the Britax manual for the Roundabout. It basically runs the tether towards a rear ceiling mount with the car seat facing forward, so it does not put tension towards the front of the car. My wife's Forester has ceiling tether points, so it is an option for us when/if baby #2 comes.
Name:  Tether.jpg
Views: 2237
Size:  92.6 KB
Old 06-22-2007, 02:59 PM
Time Attack Race Car

I installed our car seat rear facing behind the driver side. My wife found an article somewhere that some manufacturer does not cover if there something to happen wrong when they were installed in locations not authorized by them.

I can't remember exactly. For example, my wife's BMW X5 requires car seat to be in the middle. I'm not sure for acura.

Just like what everyone was saying, double check the manual or call the manufacturer.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:07 PM
Burning Brakes

The RDX has three latch positions: one on the 40% side, and two on the 60% side. Only one of the two on the 60% side can be used at once.

I'm not thrilled with the middle position because the seat bottom is not level there.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:43 PM
Time Attack Race Car

^^^ I agree with the middle position being not level. That's why I put it behind the front passenger seat.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Here in Texas you can take you car to the closest Fire Station and they'll install it for you... FREE!

That way you know it's done right.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:49 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, but I put a baby in a front facing seat backwards.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ix8vii
^^^ I agree with the middle position being not level. That's why I put it behind the front passenger seat.
Hey fish008:

What do you think? Put is in the middle away from the windows and curtain airbags and doors but a towel to level, or on one of the sides closer to impact but level?
Old 06-23-2007, 09:42 PM
Pro

Is the problem getting it level from front to back or from side to side? I would imagine that you can get it level with several towels or pool noodles. My other question is even if it is not perfectly level is it stable, secure and tight? I think that is as important as anything. It is hard to for me to say without seeing it if it okay or not. Install the seat where it is stable and secure; wherever that my be.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:07 PM
Burning Brakes

It is not level side to side. The middle portion of the seat is slightly higher and less "cushiony" than the main seat buckets. I have a towel under it that is folded up several layers thick on the drivers side and one layer for the rest. It is pretty level with the towel. I have it squashed tight to the seat (I weight about 240, so I can press down pretty firmly) and the tether is tight (forward facing!!) . It is very firmly attached, I would day no part of the seat can move much more than a few mm.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:17 AM
Racer

I have always read that, if possible, the middle of the back seat (far as possible away from the side/curtain airbags) is the best place to put the child seat. And that's what I have done. A rolled up towel easily fixes the level.

If anyone has solid information otherwise, I'd be very interested in reading it.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:23 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by brizey
It is not level side to side. The middle portion of the seat is slightly higher and less "cushiony" than the main seat buckets. I have a towel under it that is folded up several layers thick on the drivers side and one layer for the rest. It is pretty level with the towel. I have it squashed tight to the seat (I weight about 240, so I can press down pretty firmly) and the tether is tight (forward facing!!) . It is very firmly attached, I would day no part of the seat can move much more than a few mm.
I assume that you are still using the harness for the child seat, I that correct? Does the center seat of the RDX have a 3-point belt or is it a lap belt only? That is something that will come into play when you are using just a booster seat with no harness.

By the way Brizey, sounds like an extremely well installed seat.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:46 AM
Burning Brakes

It is a Britax Roundabout. It has a three point belt, but I am using LATCH. I don't think it would make a difference though.

For other's info: the RDX has ratcheting shoulder straps.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:25 PM
Pro

You're right the three point seat belt wont make a difference if you are using LATCH. It will however make a difference if you are using a booster seat without the harness, that is when it is important.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:07 AM
Cyclonite

I have a new addition as well, Ava, 3 months.

We purchsed a Graco rear facing seat. It is called the Safe Seat, has improved side protection and uses the LATCH system with a seat base attachment. It was part of a stroller/seat combo.

Extremely easy to install the base. Comes with the LATCH belt....just click the 2 ends of the belt onto the LATCH anchors, tighten like a champion and presto. Done. Insert seat(and kid) into base. No tether for rear facing seats.

Follow the manufacturers instructions OR go to a local police station / Babies R Us. They have child seat installers who can install or verify an installation. My wife is a police officer and is one of these types.....she's the brains, I'm the brawn.

Anyway, good luck and congrats!
Old 07-01-2007, 12:19 PM
Burning Brakes

We have the safe seat as well (number two is now on the way!!!). Did you install it in the center or on the side?

We'll have to do the side anyway since we will have two seats.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:39 PM
Cyclonite

Well ours is in the center, which is the safest position for a single seat.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:11 PM
Photographer

i agree. my car seat is also in the center which i believe is the safest position.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:50 AM
2nd Gear

I have a rear-facing Britax and it was a snap to install with the RDX latch system.
Old 01-01-2008, 02:00 PM
5th Gear

Need Help Finding Convertible Rear-Facing Child Seat

I realize this conversation is months past, but I am having difficulty finding a convertible child seat that will fit rear facing behind the passenger seat. I'm 6'2" and my wife is 5'11" so there isn't much room to spare. Evenflo's Triumph Advance and Titan 5 didn't fit. My youngest is 9 mo. and has outgrown the Graco infant travel system (I believe it's the same as discussed by others in this forum). Forward facing is no problem, but I've got to find a solution for the next 3-5 months until she is able to be forward facing. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 01-02-2008, 08:38 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by PghRDX
I realize this conversation is months past, but I am having difficulty finding a convertible child seat that will fit rear facing behind the passenger seat. I'm 6'2" and my wife is 5'11" so there isn't much room to spare. Evenflo's Triumph Advance and Titan 5 didn't fit. My youngest is 9 mo. and has outgrown the Graco infant travel system (I believe it's the same as discussed by others in this forum). Forward facing is no problem, but I've got to find a solution for the next 3-5 months until she is able to be forward facing. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Here is my two cents on this issue. I should state that I haven't worked for a place that sells baby stuff for several years so I am not exactly up to date on the newest, latest and greatest stuff but I know what make a good carseat and the type that will fit your needs (I have been back to see the new stuff I just haven't had the chance to see how it works). The real difference is how the seats recline to move into the rear facing position. Most seats (even the most expensive seats) just rock back on the back of the (attached) base, and that is not the most space efficient way to recline the seat. The seat that I would recommend is the Evenflo Triumph V or Triumph Advance. The seat scoops within the base so as to be more space efficient. The seat has styrofoam on the sides for accident protection and straps that adjust without removing the seat. Remember the more times that you reinstall the seat the more times there are to install in wrong. It's Babies R Us best seller (according to their website) and a great option. Hope that helps. I am sure that someone who has an RDX has one of these seats and can comment on the fit or others that will work well. I think the best option is to go to the baby store you like best and have them test fit a couple of seats. If you do that you know which seat will work best for your situation.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:27 AM
5th Gear

Thanks for your reply! I will check those out to see how they fit. Since there about a 1000 different seat and child seat configurations, this will hopefully help me narrow the search more quickly! All the best, PghRDX.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:21 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by PghRDX
well, worst case, you can always just ride in the back seat when the baby is in there. RDX has plenty of room for a full sized adult in the back, and usually my wife or I will ride in the back seat when baby is on board, unless we need the cargo space...
Old 01-02-2008, 12:36 PM
Pro

PghRDX saw this on slickdeals and thought this might be helpful to you. http://toysrus.rsys1.net/servlet/web...TZF.3df7beD9vf

Quick Reply: Has anyone installed a rear facing baby seat in the RDX?