Goodyear Eagle RS-A Tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 07:35 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Goodyear Eagle RS-A Tires

Hi All,
My 08 RDX came with Goodyear Eagle RS-A tires. I don't know if these were standard for RDXs. With all the road hazzard in LA, I've had to replace two a few years ago. Now I have the other two that need to be replaced. The Goodyear Eagle RS-A is discontinued according to Just Tires. I can get them for $137 each. Should I stay with the RS-A's knowing they won't be available in the future or switch all four now? What are my options for other tires?
Old 07-22-2017, 08:16 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
The Eagle RS-As are possibly one of the crappiest tires made by any of the leading tire companies in the last ten to fifteen years. Do yourself and your RDX a favor and buy some better tires.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:59 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I would go for new tires that are non-direction and your can rotate and cross-rotate when needed to get the most amount of mileage from them. Directional tires can only rotate front-to-back compared to adding a cross rotations and each tire touches all four corners. Cross rotations also lessen road noise and smooth out vibration issues if balance weights or road force balance are not working. I've always had good luck with Conti DWS tires and recently upgraded to Conti DWS 06 on my MDX. The Conti DWS 06 are one of the best all around tires to give you equal performance in handling, acceleration, and braking in dry, wet and cold/snowy weather (don't know if you hit the ski slopes).
Old 07-23-2017, 02:44 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mrgold35
I would go for new tires that are non-direction and your can rotate and cross-rotate when needed to get the most amount of mileage from them. Directional tires can only rotate front-to-back compared to adding a cross rotations and each tire touches all four corners. Cross rotations also lessen road noise and smooth out vibration issues if balance weights or road force balance are not working. I've always had good luck with Conti DWS tires and recently upgraded to Conti DWS 06 on my MDX. The Conti DWS 06 are one of the best all around tires to give you equal performance in handling, acceleration, and braking in dry, wet and cold/snowy weather (don't know if you hit the ski slopes).
I totally forgot about the directional thing and RS-As. Thanks for the heads up. Looks like the forum is pretty down on these so it's time to move on. I'll look at the Cont DWS06s. Costco has two Michelin's available: Pilot Sport A/S, and Premier A/S. Anyone have any opinions on these? Thanks!
Old 07-25-2017, 11:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 204 Posts
I have the premier a/s on mine with about 30k or so on them. Nice, quiet tire so far (much quieter than the Yokohamas the previous owner had on there), no issue with increasing road noise and based on the wear I should get near the full warranted 60k out of them. The sport a/s will give you some added traction at the expense of tread life (and they're more expensive).
Old 07-27-2017, 12:50 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tomtwtwtw
I have the premier a/s on mine with about 30k or so on them. Nice, quiet tire so far (much quieter than the Yokohamas the previous owner had on there), no issue with increasing road noise and based on the wear I should get near the full warranted 60k out of them. The sport a/s will give you some added traction at the expense of tread life (and they're more expensive).
I went with the Pilot Sport A/S 3. In LA, the Premiers A/S were more expensive ($190 vs. $212). I would have bought the Conti DWS 06 as they were about the same price as the Sport A/S 3 ($185) but some of the reviews said the sidewall is soft. Living in the city, I'm always parking next to curbs. Both great tires though.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:03 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Sounds like the Pilot Sport will work pretty good for you in LA. I have the older Conti DWS still on my RDX and they do have a softer sidewall and softer outer tread on the edge compared to the newer Conti DWS 06. My older RDX Conti DWS also didn't have the extra thick rubber that protects the rims a little bit when parking too close to the curb (the extra thick rim rubber guard is on the Conti DWS for my TSX and MDX). I was never able to get the full +50,000 miles from the Conti DWS with the RDX (35k-40k); but, zero problems with +50k with the same tires on my TSX and MDX? I will be due for new tires on my RDX by winter of 2018 and I will upgrade to the Conti DWS 06 when the time comes.
Old 07-27-2017, 04:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Vtbx
I went with the Pilot Sport A/S 3. In LA, the Premiers A/S were more expensive ($190 vs. $212). I would have bought the Conti DWS 06 as they were about the same price as the Sport A/S 3 ($185) but some of the reviews said the sidewall is soft. Living in the city, I'm always parking next to curbs. Both great tires though.
Weird, I remember my tire being the cheaper option at the time, but I see that the Premier is more expensive than the A/S3 here too. Still, the warranty is 15k miles longer, which more than offsets the price difference if you're looking purely at cost per mile, assuming both actually live up to their warranties of course.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:30 AM
2006 NBP TL MT6/ 02TL-S

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Funny, the Campus Police where I work run those Dodge Chargers with those Goodyear Eagle RS-A tires.
The POS Chargers are constantly breaking down, always in the shop & they go through those crappy Eagle RS-A tires like every few months.
Old 08-05-2017, 06:05 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by horseshoez
The Eagle RS-As are possibly one of the crappiest tires made by any of the leading tire companies in the last ten to fifteen years. Do yourself and your RDX a favor and buy some better tires.
Wow, were you right! I didn't think I would notice much of a difference after installing the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ but was I wrong. Rides like a Caddy now!
The following users liked this post:
horseshoez (08-05-2017)