on the fence: 2011 RDX or 2011 Murano?

Old 08-01-2010, 09:30 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
on the fence: 2011 RDX or 2011 Murano?

I currently drive a 2006 Xterra SE now with ~127,000 miles on it, and by the time I pulll the trigger on a new vehicle in the next few months it should be closer to 140,000 miles. Have had very good luck over the last 4.5 years without any major mechanical issues. However, I want something smaller that has AWD, gets better gas mileage, and doesn't ride like a stagecoach. I've read that the RDX has a firm ride but coming from the Xterra it would probably be a substantial improvement, while the Murano would be even more so. For the last few months I was dead-set on the Murano until I started reading about the RDX. Seems like it would be more "fun" to drive, while the Murano would be more floaty and boring? I have concerns about the CVT long-term, even though Nissan extended the warranty to 10yrs/120,000. How about that Turbo-4 long term? I plan to test drive both, but I do like the less polarizing style of the RDX. The Murano gets slightly better gas mileage, and since I drive ~90% highway I'm sure I would beat the EPA estimates on both vehicles. Hmmm....decisions decisions.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:07 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well, for whatever it's worth, RDX beats murano hands down for me. why? in my case, i do like the firm ride, the turbo responsiveness (eitehr from standing start or 100mph on the highway shhhh...) turbo 4 long term? i too wasnt sure when i pulled the trigger on my 2010 rdx but then so far from the ones who own 2007's, no problem whatsoever that ive researched. the turbo engine was really developed and tested by honda based on my conversations with them (and i believe them). this being their first turbo stock engine (aside fm the smaller vehicle in japan that has a turbo), i figured they wont risk screwing up reliability. but in the end, it's all up to you. do you like a fun vehicle with firm and relatively noisy ride? and yes, if people find the 2010 rdx not pretty, the murano look is worse (at least for me)...
Old 08-01-2010, 10:16 PM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
murano more for your money and features simply not available, even in an acura. This decision should be based on which one you enjoy more to drive because, in terms of equipment, the Murano LE is one of the nicest vehicles out there. Not sure how much money you are looking to spend, but simply comparing the RDX to the Murano I would venture to guess you would be deciding between the LE model anyways.

The murano has a much nicer interior, more features, better features, better entertainment system and imo just about crushed the RDX on those fronts

The RDX rides like a sports car, way more performance, and its AWD is much better.

Ride/Handling/Fun = RDX
Features/Amenities/Luxury and hate to say it, value for the dollar = Murano

...and dont forget, the murano still drives great...if u are a 90% highway driver, i do not recommend the RDX. The RDX highway ride, for me, its just too loud, more unrefined than refined, and simply this car is geared for performance not cruising. I have never looked forward to spending more than 2, 3 hrs in it as the turbo, which is awesome around town and having fun with, just aggravates me like a kid with bad ADD. The RDX needs more sound-deadening and a better suspension for me to give it a nod over many cars if one of your buying points is highway driving. When i drive the RDX for 2+ hrs, i feel beat up, tired, and fed up with it and glad to be out. Far different from even driving an accord for that long. If you are flying thru a city or spend your time in the 30-50 mph range on back roads and twisty rides to work, i would 100% recommend the RDX instead.

have fun comparing

Last edited by MMike1981; 08-01-2010 at 10:23 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Mike, thanks for the insight, especially for highway driving. At least for now, most of the driving I do is also highway (90 miles/75-90 minute commute one or two days per week). I'm looking for something a bit softer and perhaps quieter than my 2004 TSX. It's not a terrible ride on the highway, more of a problem really on pothole-ridden roads, whether they be highway or local.

I really, really like the RDX for its manageable size, but I'm really on the fence between a new RDX and used MDX. I need to drive the MDX soon and compare both, I know that will help me make the decision.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:11 AM
big shot.

there is no comparison between the MDX/RDX for highway cruising. the MDX, all day. I had one as a loaner a few times, my dealership is a solid 35 min drive all highway, and man i didnt want to give the MDX back. Super smooth, velvet power, quiet, and a ride that is forgiving soaking up bumps but never floaty and always in control. The best part of the MDX is that its no slouch, at all, on the backroads. At first i thought it was like a minivan as the switch between RDX to MDX is more noticable than you would think. I felt lost inside the MDX, too big, initially. Then, bringing it on some back roads for commercial land, the MDX blew me away. I havent driven another vehicle its size with the moves and finesse it offered. Add basically the same gas mileage and well, its up to you. The RDX size & handling make it more tossable and fun, but the MDX fills in everywhere else.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Yep, this is a very tough decision. Coming from a smaller sedan, any SUV is going to feel big to me, but I got used to the RDX I had as a loaner pretty quickly. The MDX is going to feel enormous, no doubt. I know I'll appreciate a softer ride, but even the RDX felt softer than my TSX, so it might be enough of a change without going up to the MDX.

A smaller MDX is what I need.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:45 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
There is a 10-20% chance an all new early 2012 RDX may be out next spring. It is just a SWAG at this point, 5 model years seem to be Acura's average for a vehicles lately. There might be some upgrades with waiting for with the new RDX. If you don't like the new RDX, there might be some really good deals on 2011 models. It seems the RDX models seem have the least amount of problems compared to other models, especially 1st & 2nd model years.

I have a 06 TSX and 08 RDX, both with tech. The hwy noise is a for all Acura's (and Honda) is above the norm compared to other brands. My noise level was greatly reduced when I replaced my OEM tires with Bridgestones pole positions on the TSX. I still have the OEM on my RDX, which I will replace this fall and the road noise is a little annoying on older hwy (newer hwy isn't that bad). I'm a big guy (6'3", 320lbs, size 14 shoe) and I find the RDX a very comfortable ride on the hwy. I've never felt tired or uncomfortable while cruising long hwy runs. The RDX has everything my TSX is missing. Gas mileage is so-so for the RDX, I usually average 20-21 mpgs combined. It is the "fun to drive factor" that hurts my gas mileage.

My deal breakers for the RDX are: handling, power, space and reliability. Everything else was icing on top of the cake.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:46 AM
big shot.

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
thats what ive been hoping for ever since the RDX came out -->maybe they will deliver in the redesign.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:49 AM
big shot.

The RDX is atop Acura's most reliable models.

for the Original Poster--> if there were issues with the turbo, they would be known, especially by now. As far as i can remember, i dont think there have been any issues with any common traits or causing significant worry regarding reliability. If there is one thing id never be concerned about, itd be a honda power plant.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:49 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
RDX > Murano. I like sportiness.

Even looks-wise, RDX > Murano.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:05 AM
big shot.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests

Murano: taken from : http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...take_road_test

C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 6.9 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 18.9 sec
Street start, 5–60 mph: 8.2 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 15.4 sec @ 92 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 116 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 178 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad*: 0.76 g

im not saying the Murano is as good, obviously it isnt, but its close with a much more complient ride while still pretty good in the sporting department. One of the best overall drives vs the RDX in your face ride/handling
Old 08-02-2010, 02:02 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

I believe their are internet rumors of a possible "smaller MDX," or rather a SUV that fits between the RDX and MDX
Old 08-02-2010, 02:39 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the feedback. Considering I've been driving the "chitty-chitty-bang-bang" Xterra for the last 4+ years how bad of a ride could the RDX be?? haha.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:52 PM
Advanced

Yep, this is a very tough decision. Coming from a smaller sedan, any SUV is going to feel big to me, but I got used to the RDX I had as a loaner pretty quickly. The MDX is going to feel enormous, no doubt. I know I'll appreciate a softer ride, but even the RDX felt softer than my TSX, so it might be enough of a change without going up to the MDX.

really? TSX is stiffer than RDX? hopefully handling is even better? i am considering tsx for a 2nd vehicle though i want sh-awd (but not willing to buy a TL - would rather buy MDX than TL)

Originally Posted by stray_pube
Thanks for the feedback. Considering I've been driving the "chitty-chitty-bang-bang" Xterra for the last 4+ years how bad of a ride could the RDX be?? haha.
if you're not used to firm rides, it can be a rude awakening esp with potholed roads...
Originally Posted by docboy
I believe their are internet rumors of a possible "smaller MDX," or rather a SUV that fits between the RDX and MDX
yes, not rumors, i can confirm that honda will be tailoring the new "RDX" (wont be called as such anymore) to a mini-"MDX". question is WHEN! honda continues to keep it's mouth shut on this- only to say that theyre keeping with their cycles (of which the RDX is considered a "Truck" cycle = 6 yrs before complete model change). 100% sure the 5 seater cuv will still be there. wont be called an rdx anymore - source Honda IR

back to OP's post, i think mike and mr gold pretty much sum it up...
a) maybe im deaf but the road noise seems NOT to bug me even with 3 hr long drives. of course rdx is noisier vs GLK/Q5 - but the noise becomes muted when the RDX is '000's cheaper
b) turbo seems to be the least of concerns/honda powertrain= reliability ==> still very true despite slippage in "styling"
c) in the end, i went with "feel"... maybe OP should just go with gut feel.

Last edited by stoxxsp500; 08-02-2010 at 02:55 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:56 PM
big shot.

i def do not agree about the last gen TSX, and definately 100% disagree with the current gen TSX...the RDX is stiffer than both.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:23 PM
2003 Accord Coupe V6

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts
I own a 2008 Murano SL with about every option available. I really like it however I am not a big fan of the CVT tranny from a standing start. It has major lag off the line. Once rolling though it is very responsive and pulls hard. Other than that I have no complaints. Gas mileage is decent. I get about 16.5 city and 20MPG highway. No reliablitity issues whatsoever. Getting close to 25,000 miles. I have never driven a RDX so I can't compare but I just wanted to give you my opinion of the murano.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:35 PM
big shot.

correct me if im wrong - but the 09 is different than the 08, ie the major change was power & CVT tuning
Old 08-02-2010, 04:29 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Get the Murano if you can live with the styling, I think it's one of the ugliest vehicles on the road, whereas I think the 07-09 RDX one of the best looking crossovers on the road, not to mention the sportiest.

I was looking for style, price, and sportiness so the RDX won. It's only a few grand more than a CRV but you get much more.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:33 PM
2003 Accord Coupe V6

Originally Posted by MMike1981
correct me if im wrong - but the 09 is different than the 08, ie the major change was power & CVT tuning
The newest generation started in 2008. The previous gens last year was 2007. I have the newer gen with the changes.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:35 PM
Advanced

There is no 2008 Murano. Nissan skipped a model year and went to 2009 from 2007.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:39 PM
Advanced

Here's what the 2011 Murano looks like. I like the new front grille, more aggressive.
http://www.thecarconnection.com/pict...ry-1#100316427
Old 08-02-2010, 04:47 PM
2003 Accord Coupe V6

Originally Posted by stray_pube
There is no 2008 Murano. Nissan skipped a model year and went to 2009 from 2007.
Yes! Mine is a 2009 model. haha. no 2008 even though it was purchased in early 2008.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:33 PM
big shot.

well in that case, i like the 2011 styling cues the best, and yes styling was a buying point for me and i just couldnt swallow the Murano's face, and the fact that EVERYONE has one, but it was a very close call. if i could do it over again, id buy the Murano LE AWD in sec and look past the face, one of the nicest interiors, and COMFORTABLE INTERIORS in the CUV biz. great drive and just enough of a driver connection that unless you need to be driving the closest thing to a sports car in CUV form, the Murano holds its own. Drive an LE AWD around and you may not want to get out.

at the end of the day, id like to think acura is going to hit a home run with the next iteration of the RDX, whatever it may be called. After seeing everything the entire field offers, id be floored if Acura didnt put a winning product out. But theyve fucked that up before, drum roll for the 2010 models. id wait on the new one if you are going to do something very soon. wait if you can. i am. if they dont put something solid out for the 2012, ill be selling mine.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 137 Likes on 79 Posts
I actually had a 2011 Murano SL AWD as a rental car last week. I had to do a mix of highway and city driving. I came away impressed with the fact that it was a Nissan, and it was plusher and smoother-driving than I expected. But I also compared it quite unfavorably with the RDX in terms of driving dynamics, features, comfort, fit-and-finish, looks, and even gas mileage.

I don't know what a Murano SL AWD costs, but if it's anything over $30K I'd be amazed. The RDX is worth every penny, and I strongly disagree with MMike that it's not a highway cruiser. My family drove our RDX cross-country and found it supremely comfortable and a pleasure to drive the whole way.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
the rdx is very nice but i like the 2011 ford edge sport better then the nissan... that my-touch system is pretty cool

http://www.fordvehicles.com/crossovers/edge/
Old 08-03-2010, 11:01 AM
big shot.

Originally Posted by DJ Iceman
I actually had a 2011 Murano SL AWD as a rental car last week. I had to do a mix of highway and city driving. I came away impressed with the fact that it was a Nissan, and it was plusher and smoother-driving than I expected. But I also compared it quite unfavorably with the RDX in terms of driving dynamics, features, comfort, fit-and-finish, looks, and even gas mileage.

I don't know what a Murano SL AWD costs, but if it's anything over $30K I'd be amazed. The RDX is worth every penny, and I strongly disagree with MMike that it's not a highway cruiser. My family drove our RDX cross-country and found it supremely comfortable and a pleasure to drive the whole way.
ill agree to disagree, just two polar opposite opinions thats all.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:43 PM
XIS
Lizard King

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
about the RDX being a hwy cruiser - Took mine on its yearly 6-7 hr trip (one way) and this year I hit the awesome winding Hwy 74 in Cal both ways. The RDX was made for these trips!
The power it shows from 75-100 mph is amazing for a 4 cyl, it rode smooth, even on crappy portions of the road (thanks new tires), the sound system with XM and the DVD-A. The seats had plenty of adjustment angles available too enhance comfort. The RDX on a road trip was a good / fun / safe one.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:54 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
The only thing bad about the 2011 RDX is it really hasn't changed that much compared to the 07 RDX other than some cosmetic updates. You can rename the thread to:

"on the fence: 2007 RDX or 2011 Murano"

The RDX is a pretty good CUV; but, newer models from Toyota, Nissan, BMW, Audi and Honda are closing the gap and surpassing on the RDX's 3-4 year old design. I'm happy with the current RDX; but, it would be hard to pass up something as new as the 2011 Murano.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:11 PM
Advanced

Old 08-03-2010, 01:15 PM
big shot.

if its about performance, i think that its a solid buy. but there are better models out there if ur willing to spend a little more. its a bargain buy but it also shows. ive always been more critical than covering up its glaringly bad spots; but its just being real. If you spend some time in other vehicles in the same class, the RDX is in your face performance with a sports car like ride and handling with excellent reliability. IMO - its just about AVERAGE in every other aspect. its a 36-38k Honda. spend some more and get a Q5 or wait on the redesign; the RDX IS OLD, and the 2011 is no different besides a tiny bit of change.

If performance is not at the top of your list, i struggle to see how the RDX will be a better ride than most of its competition. It lacks many things found even in a Nissan. I forget who pinned this but it truley is the EVO of crossovers.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:20 PM
big shot.

Originally Posted by XIS
it rode smooth, even on crappy portions of the road (thanks new tires),
cmon. the suspension falls apart on shit roads. one bump is ok, but it still crashes into the cabin and thumps, id say with new/better tires the rides is smoothed out a bit, but i have not noticed a single bit of difference in terms of ride quality on poor roads. The suspension remains one of the RDX's main weaknesses in terms of overall ride quality and refinement.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:04 PM
XIS
Lizard King

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
cmon??? Nothing 'falls apart on shit roads'.... You spew your opinions back at us like they are math-facts. They aren't. They are just your opionions and you seem to have an obvious grudge. Whatever. Smart enough to read through it and point it out to others.

In my opinion, the suspension is one of the things I love the most. It doesn't handle like an SUV to me. I feel like it handles/rides like a sports car. That is one of the selling points.

If you want smooth.... look at a Lexus RX350, not a frickin Morono
Old 08-03-2010, 03:36 PM
big shot.

math facts? of course its only my opinion, i would hope that those who read it are obviously at least that smart to think nothing more beyond that.

but to call this suspension smooth over bumps is rediculous.

and grudge? with what or whom? not at all bud. i like my RDX, but waiiiiiit - IN MY OPINIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON; its at the middle of the pack among all these vehicles. im just not as biased as other honda loyals, and ive been a honda loyal since the first car i ever drove

Last edited by MMike1981; 08-03-2010 at 03:39 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:13 PM
Advanced

I have to agree with XIS on all points, maybe MMike should try some different tires to smooth over the bumps and still deliver a great ride.......... My RDX is a totally better ride with the Yokahama ENVigors - smoother, silent, great grip and better MPG. I have driven a Murano rental and it fails to match the RDX for performance or ride. They may look to be the same but the RDX performs SO much better. Perhaps if you never explore those limits you would be happy with the Murano. But for me the RDX is the best ride and I have no urge to change after 3 years, it is the perfect match in all areas, but everyone has different needs/wants so the debate will never be resolved. Get what YOU like and enjoy it.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:11 PM
big shot.

...have new tires, Conti Extreme Contacts DWS. doesnt change the suspension, but does improve smoothness

im not trying to cause a fight here....rather than read this canned response every single time - "hey what do you think of the your RDX" = typical response: 'oh its great! smooth! great on the road!" what does that even mean? smooth for a PERFORMANCE SEDAN? smooth like a lexus? what are you talking about in relation to what? i try to give the person asking a question some serious insight as to at least MY experience with this car since ownership in 06 and put it in context with everything else and qualify my answers. end of story.

ive said it MANY times here - for performance? GET THE RDX! theres really nothing to argue about that, but i also take time to talk about EVERYTHING ELSE that is usually swept under the carpet LIKE its less refined ride & loudness and lack of features/available equipment - all of course in the context of MY EXPERIENCE AND OPINION.

if XIS or anyone else has a problem or issue or opinion of my opinion, thats the reason why we write on a forum so that you YOU can write YOUR THOUGHTS, OR, BLOCK MINE OUT like i do to many posters especially wwest. apparently, at least for XIS, either i sound too convincing as to create a sense of 'math facts' or he doesnt like my opinion. either way, i dont care, and im trying to help those that ask questions & speak from my experience with this car and many others. end of story. im not trying to swindle anyone, i have no grudge against honda/acura or anything, and speak plainly from my daily use of this car. If i didnt love the RDX i would not have gotten ANOTHER ONE after my 2007 was lemon'd out.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by stoxxsp500
really? TSX is stiffer than RDX? hopefully handling is even better? i am considering tsx for a 2nd vehicle though i want sh-awd (but not willing to buy a TL - would rather buy MDX than TL)
In my experience, yes, the 1G TSX (or at least MY 1G TSX) is stiffer than the '09 RDX I drove for a couple days as a loaner. I think part of it has to do with the tires - I believe the RDX OEM tires are not low profile, correct? At any rate, they have more rubber on them to soften the ride just a bit. It was not a huge difference to me, but I did notice it. My car is just very, very rough on pothole-riddled roads and I feel like my teeth are going to fall right out of my mouth these days. It's over 6 years old now, so maybe the suspension is also wearing a bit, but as far as I know, nothing needs replacing. I did, however, just have the right rear upper control arm replaced in the spring (it was broken, causing toe and camber problems).

The 2G TSX is a bit softer than the 1G, though, as far as I could tell in the 1 day I had the loaner.

Honestly though, the RDX kind of reminds me of a TSX in SUV form. They are pretty similar minus the height. That's probably why it only took me 2 days to get used to it. Coming from the TSX, I mostly had to get used to the height and the acceleration difference due to the turbo.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:36 PM
Senior Moderator

In regards to the little debate going on here, let's keep it civil and remember that opinions differ, but all are welcome. Everyone's experiences only give a more well-rounded picture for potential future owners.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:16 PM
Advanced

In my online research I thought I read in some review that the suspension was improved starting with the 2010 model (?) Also, I wonder if many of those who complain have their tires at 35psi or higher and not inflated properly t0 32psi. Again, I'm currently driving an Xterra which I just drove from Mass. to Long Island with plenty of road noise, bumps, and leg cramps. When I test drive the RDX it will probably feel like a Lexus to me!
Old 08-04-2010, 07:03 PM
big shot.

theyve been tweaking it ever since the 07 release
Old 08-04-2010, 07:08 PM
big shot.

In my experience, yes, the 1G TSX (or at least MY 1G TSX) is stiffer than the '09 RDX I drove for a couple days as a loaner. I think part of it has to do with the tires - I believe the RDX OEM tires are not low profile, correct? At any rate, they have more rubber on them to soften the ride just a bit. It was not a huge difference to me, but I did notice it. My car is just very, very rough on pothole-riddled roads and I feel like my teeth are going to fall right out of my mouth these days. It's over 6 years old now, so maybe the suspension is also wearing a bit, but as far as I know, nothing needs replacing. I did, however, just have the right rear upper control arm replaced in the spring (it was broken, causing toe and camber problems).

The 2G TSX is a bit softer than the 1G, though, as far as I could tell in the 1 day I had the loaner.

Honestly though, the RDX kind of reminds me of a TSX in SUV form. They are pretty similar minus the height. That's probably why it only took me 2 days to get used to it. Coming from the TSX, I mostly had to get used to the height and the acceleration difference due to the turbo.
i agree with the TSX/RDX comparison, very similar/same family for sure, heck its the same engine with a turbo on it. I think the last gen TSX is a lot closer than the current; the currents elec steering gives a totally different feel to the car. my gf owned an 07 TSX and just bought the new one, 2010. its growing on me. but i would drive the RDX 10 out of 10 times over it when we are staring at the driveway deciding.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: on the fence: 2011 RDX or 2011 Murano?