Considering an 07 rdx with 107 miles and will put 25k miles a year please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 01:26 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering an 07 rdx with 107 miles and will put 25k miles a year please help

Hi,

My wife and I just had a baby and her car is too small for us now(volvo c30) we dont have a lot of money to spend only a little on top of whatever we can get for her car so I am looking for an inexpensive rdx. I have found one with 107k miles for 11,500. She drives 25k miles a year(long commute) I would want to keep this vehicle for 2 to 3 years putting it around 180k miles.

What do you guys think? Any known problems for these cars or do they have the typical Honda reliability? And am I correct in that this vehicle has a timing chain instead of a belt so it does not need scheduled maintenance?

any input or advice is appreciated.

thanks,
Nick
Old 03-08-2014, 02:48 PM
WTF?

Received 243 Likes on 230 Posts
i would go for an 08 (second year of a new release vehicle) just to be on the safer side (less issues although same platform) engine in it is built to last as long as you take care of it.. yes it has a timing chain.. which requires less maintaining but still would need to be replaced at some point.. if you want a true piece of mind get it from an acura dealership they will do a full inspection before selling.. if not take it to a mechanic and have them do a full inspection of the vehicle.. with the miles you are going to be putting on it i would suggest full fluid flushes when you get it also have the timing chain inspected to make sure it hasnt stretched much.. maybe around 150k you may want to replace it also around then if the water pump hasnt gone replace that too. other then that it will keep on ticking...

almost forgot.. its at that point you may want to have the plugs changed and the valves checked
Old 03-08-2014, 07:18 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since she commutes about 25k per year, you may want to look at CRV's instead as it takes 87. The RDX takes 93 premium and is not gas friendly. Check if the AC has been serviced as well. From what I remember, the AC compressor is prone to fail.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:10 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I don't think an RDX has seen +300,000 miles yet? I love my RDX and I put around 18,000 miles per year on her. So far, she hasn't had anything major with 105,000 miles on the ODO. Issues I've had so far are:

- A/C clutch and compressor fail (covered under extended warranty
- i-Vtec solenoid failed (covered under 7/70,000 powertrain
- condensation in driver headlight (4/50,000 warranty)
- failing alternator (out of pocket)
- brake booster sensor (out of pocket)
- bad relay draining battery (out of pocket)
- replaced battery (out of pocket)
- bad driver side speaker (warranty)
- very intermittent radio problem (radio is on; but, I can't change stations until power on/off or restart car)

Other issues are:
- the sh-awd can wear down tires faster, I'm getting about 35,000 miles on a 50,000 mile tire
- MPGs, I average about 20-21 combined if I take it really easy

Upside:
- This thing is freaking fun to drive!
- Great visibility
- Easy to drive because of all the TQ available when you need it
- Easy to park because of its smaller size compared to a TSX
- Added safety of sh-awd available in any condition
- The RDX provides enough room and utility 99% of the time.
- The interior/exterior has held up extremely well. I only had to repair the center arm rest because it was coming apart at a seam where my elbow rests.

I just don't know about the amount of mileage you are planning to put on the 07 RDX. 200,000 total miles would be my limit with any car as my primary driver.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by nickspi
... I have found one with 107k miles ...
Nick
1) plugs should be changed now

2) perform a 3x3 (drain 3qts x 3 times) from the transmission, esp if the ATF has never been changed. My dealer recommends a 1x3 (3qts single drain) every 30K miles, and that is about how often the 2nd gen RDX MID will request an ATF drain/ fill. However, the 1st gen MID may wait until 100K which I consider *much* too long - please check the maintenance records of any car you purchase.

3) flush brake fluid, rear diff, and front transfer case - if this has not already been done. Again, brake fluid is supposed to be done every 3-years, rear diff around every 20K miles, and front transfer case when the transmission is drained/ filled. If this has not been done, if you cannot verify the records for this maintenance, just remember you are buying some one else's possible problems.

The RDX is mainly very reliable, but it is not a small 4-cylinder sedan - its sort of like a (heavy) sports car with 4-wheel drive, and that is how many are driven. That small turbo engine is putting out as much (or more) HP per liter as a Corvette V8 engine.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:08 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I forgot to add...

Buying a used RDX can be affordable and an upgrade in performance and luxury compared to other used vehicles in the same price range. Unfortunately, the limited run RDX doesn't have a lot of aftermarket support and can be expensive if repair work is needed; especially to the drivetrain, entertainment, Navi, and electronics. Most dealership cost for scheduled maint can range $70-$150 for A1/B1 service +$800 for anything in the B34 range.

A: Replace Engine Oil
B: Replace engine oil and oil filter. Inspect various systems and components. (See applicable service manual for details)

1: Rotate tires and check tire pressure and condition
2: Replace air cleaner element, check drive belt, and replace dust and pollen filter
3: Replace transmission fluid and transfer fluid (if equipped).
4: Replace spark plugs, replace timing belt (if equipped), inspect water pump, and inspect valve clearance.
5: Replace engine coolant.
6: Replace rear differential fluid (if equipped).

Only needing routine maint is a best case scenario costing you around $70-$150 per visit avg. Having problems with A/C, stereo, turbo components, suspension, emissions system, exhaust, headlights, etc... can cost $250-$2500 depending on the problem at the dealership.

If you already had this car new (or purchased with low mileage) and you personally put the 107,000 miles on it and you were deciding to keep or upgrade; I would say keep. Since you don't know the history, how many owners, how it was driven, maint schedule, problem areas, etc.. I would have to expand my search to include other SUV/minivans in the same price range from Kia, Hyundai, Ford, GM, Honda, Toyota, etc... My sister has a 06 Honda mini van and all she does is put gas in it and change the oil; this thing gets excellent mpgs on the hwy and extremely reliable. She has had only about 20% of the problems in the 8yrs she had the minivan compared to the 3yrs I had the RDX.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
First: The RDX is too small. You'd be better off getting a used Pilot.

Secondly: Why are you looking at cars with 107K on them? Do you want to inherit issues from someone else. Pony up and get something with 30-50K on the ODO.