AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   1G RDX (2007-2012) (https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-rdx-2007-2012-147/)
-   -   Condensation in passenger headlight assembly. (https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-rdx-2007-2012-147/condensation-passenger-headlight-assembly-979901/)

Willowbeast 05-30-2019 11:17 AM

Condensation in passenger headlight assembly.

So I've tried the hair dryer and it works but only for a day. Even if it not raining there is condensation that builds any tips to get rid of this? I called the dealership and warranty is no longer valid (2012 rdx). They gave me a quote of 900$ just for the assembly then tack on labour. It seems like quite the work to remove the bumper to take out the light and bake it and or reseal. I have applied silicone to the top portion of the connection (where I could reach). From what I've read there is no breather tube...is that correct? because that's what I feel is the issue, no place for the heat to escape.

thoiboi 05-30-2019 11:24 AM

I'd take it out and bake it myself, then throw a couple silica packets in the assembly for good measure.. Water has to be getting in somehow so you'll have to identify the intrusion point.

mrgold35 05-30-2019 11:47 AM

I had condensation in one of my HIDs; but, it was covered under the basic warranty. I didn't know I had an issue until I traveled from NM to east TX with much higher humidity.

It is really easy to remove the RDX bumper. It is just a couple of screws in the wheel well and plastic clips. I purchased additional plastic clips because some were just damage from being old. The bumper will still be connected to the fog lights once you remove all clips and screws (I used a blanket to rest the bumper). It is a few more screws to remove the light assembly. I did this when I upgraded my HIDs to OSRAM. Probably about a 30-45 minute job depending on the condition of the clips and screws. There are a few YouTube vids on how to remove the bumper and headlight.

The condensation might be something simple as a loose HID cap or other light connections not secured properly on the rear of the headlight assembly.

Tomtwtwtw 05-30-2019 12:03 PM

Front bumper comes off pretty easy - just a handful of screws and clips (just remember to unplug the fog lights! They come off with the bumper). Once off, the headlight is very easy to remove. Before plopping big money on a replacement unit (unless you can find a good condition on on a wrecker in a junk yard), I'd suggest removing it and inspecting it very closely. If you can't find any cracks in the housing itself, most likely the seal between the lens and the housing is bad. You can heat it up in the oven, separate the two, remove all the old shit and replace with fresh sealant, and put back together. Yeah, this is basically a full day process, but it beats paying $900 (for most people anyway!)

Willowbeast 06-03-2019 07:22 AM

Looks like I should probably give it a try.

russianDude 06-03-2019 10:08 PM

How about trying something very simple first. Take out DLR bulbs and let moisture dry overnight. Buy new DLR bulbs that have new rubber gasket, replace bulbs and make sure all bulbs are tight on to create a seal. This took care of my problem with condensation

Willowbeast 06-05-2019 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by russianDude (Post 16434693)
How about trying something very simple first. Take out DLR bulbs and let moisture dry overnight. Buy new DLR bulbs that have new rubber gasket, replace bulbs and make sure all bulbs are tight on to create a seal. This took care of my problem with condensation

That is an option too. Thank you

russianDude 06-05-2019 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Willowbeast (Post 16435354)
That is an option too. Thank you

Sometimes bulb housing/gasket gets old or its not turned in all the way (maybe got little louse over time) to create a good seal, this lets moisture gets in. This is a first thing to check.

Willowbeast 06-07-2019 06:36 AM

What I've done a couple days ago was put o ring grease on and knock on wood it's been better. We shall see.

Willowbeast 06-13-2019 02:10 PM

So far so good. no more condensation.

Tomtwtwtw 06-13-2019 04:35 PM

Tempt fate and go through a car wash. Then, one way or another, you'll know!

(and at least have a cleaner car)

Willowbeast 06-19-2019 12:44 PM

Big rain storm and pressure washed the vehicle and nothing yet. I'm very happy

mrgold35 06-20-2019 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Willowbeast (Post 16441869)
Big rain storm and pressure washed the vehicle and nothing yet. I'm very happy

Just saved yourself +$500!

hues10 06-20-2019 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by mrgold35 (Post 16442217)
Just saved yourself +$500!

Wow. I pulled my whole front bumper off to try and fix a headlight condensation problem. Cleaned it, put some silicone where I could, slapped it on. And it didn't work. So now, either put new bulbs in, or try and reseat and reseal the gasket. Definitely worth a shot. Mr. Gold, I forget, do I need to remove the bumper to change the bulbs? Part of me thinks yes, but I am hoping no. Thanks.

Tomtwtwtw 06-20-2019 06:21 PM

The HIDs are absolutely replaceable without removing the bumper, but it can be tight for big hands. Also be careful to not touch the new bulb against *anything* - especially oily skin - while putting it into the housing.

mrgold35 06-21-2019 03:02 PM

I had to remove the bumper and loosen the HIDs to change the bulbs. My hands are XXL large (palm a basket ball size hands). I was able to change the HIDs on my 11 MDX without removing the bumper.