Compressor cycles with heat on?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 04:06 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Compressor cycles with heat on?

I know the RDX A/C compressor cycles on/off/on/off/on/off like crazy when using the air conditioning in warm weather, but, now that it’s getting cold out and using the heat (A/C button off) I notice the same thing!?! I assume it’s normal for the RDX but why does it do it when specifically the A/C button is OFF? Anyone?
Old 11-16-2008, 04:11 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Actually, rethinking my question, it's really the fans that continue to cycle on/off/on/off... Annoying when the A/C is specifically off. Maybe the compressor is used all-the-time regardless if it's cooling or heating, hence triggers the fans??
Old 11-16-2008, 06:25 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I noticed that too. I never use the A/C unless needed. I was always told the compressor only cycles on when needed, but I drove a couple tanks on "auto" climate control and my mileage was significantly worse than when I use Auto and A/C off.

With such an emphasis on fuel economy and efficiency these days, I think it's retardad car manufacturers always default to A/C on - regardless of the weather. When it's cold, A/C has no benefit unless you need to defrost (and I would still prefer that be a user select thing), but when it's moderate temps or cool temps out, WTF is A/C used for?
Old 11-16-2008, 06:25 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Funny that you mention this, I just noticed this today. It is getting a little cold in florida today and I was at a light and the a/c was cycling on and off, and I figured I didn't need the compressor so I turned off the a/c. All the cycling stopped and it was just one nice consistent hum of that fan after that. Don't know why yours would continue to cycle if it says a/c off.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:29 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by cwepruk
I noticed that too. I never use the A/C unless needed. I was always told the compressor only cycles on when needed, but I drove a couple tanks on "auto" climate control and my mileage was significantly worse than when I use Auto and A/C off.

With such an emphasis on fuel economy and efficiency these days, I think it's retardad car manufacturers always default to A/C on - regardless of the weather. When it's cold, A/C has no benefit unless you need to defrost (and I would still prefer that be a user select thing), but when it's moderate temps or cool temps out, WTF is A/C used for?
Speaking of that, they should tell us the fuel mileage of cars based on having the a/c on since that is how most cars are driven the majority of the time (at least in FL).
Old 11-16-2008, 07:49 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by gtrrdx
Speaking of that, they should tell us the fuel mileage of cars based on having the a/c on since that is how most cars are driven the majority of the time (at least in FL).
The new estimated mileage statements now include driving with A/C on and driving at 65. This was one of the major reasons for making the change to get more accurate MPGs since most people do this and most states speed limits are now 65. I use the A/C a lot in the winter time as well. Being in Boston/New England the air can be damp a lot of times and like having the heat to be dry.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:46 PM
Cruisin'

Here in the Pacific Northwest with all the rain, if you don't have your a/c on and just have heat blowing it is very humid. (Costa Rica style.)
Old 11-18-2008, 04:08 PM
Instructor

i recall in the manual it talks about allowing the a/c to be on (ie., in auto mode) so the ducts get dried out. otherwise you might get some funky smells when moisture builds up in them. just what i recall off the top of my head...someone may want to correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:52 PM
Pro

It just seems odd to me in this era of fuel economy that the default setting is A/C on.

Simply putting a statement like: "periodically running your A/C is recommended in order to ensure moisture is the HVAC system is reduced" and "Should additional defrosting or de-humidifying be required, the A/C should be turned on".

I also can't stand the idea that the temp only goes down to 66 degrees. After a long hockey game and I'm wearing a coat, I hate having warm air in my face. When I set it to low, it's freezing air.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 694 Likes on 536 Posts
yeah, A/C is on by default, its true even in 2001 Acura CL that I have.
In winter I mostly turn A/C off, however, I turn it on occasionally because manual recommends to run it during winter once in a while to lubricate stuff.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:55 AM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My a/c setting is always recirculate so i always use auto climate control. i dont open fresh air vent on my rdx coz i noticed on my old car if you use fresh air vent on a/c, new car smell on your car be be gone!! i always love new car smell specially on my rdx...

I dont care about mpg coz u can always buy gas.UNLIKE NEW CAR SMELL, YOU CANNOT BUY THOSE SMELL!!!
Old 11-22-2008, 04:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If your AC is specifically off, then your fans/compressor should not cycle unless you have the front windshield defrost on. This turns the AC on. You can have the windshield vents on but turn the AC off by hitting the AC button. If your display shows "A/C OFF" then the fan/compressor should not be cycling. If you display does not show "A/C OFF" then your AC is on.

Originally Posted by Carbon2008RDX
Actually, rethinking my question, it's really the fans that continue to cycle on/off/on/off... Annoying when the A/C is specifically off. Maybe the compressor is used all-the-time regardless if it's cooling or heating, hence triggers the fans??
Old 11-23-2008, 10:41 PM
Pro

There are two fans inside the hood, one is for radiator and one is for a/c... radiator fan will turn on once in a while even a/c is off...
Old 11-26-2008, 03:42 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by sasair
If your AC is specifically off, then your fans/compressor should not cycle unless you have the front windshield defrost on. This turns the AC on. You can have the windshield vents on but turn the AC off by hitting the AC button. If your display shows "A/C OFF" then the fan/compressor should not be cycling. If you display does not show "A/C OFF" then your AC is on.
I notice that when I set the "A/C Off", the Auto function is also off. What is the effect of this on the temperature control function for heating?
Old 11-26-2008, 04:51 PM
Pro

It's somewhat odd, but it's still on auto when you press A/C off.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:21 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by portwashguy
I notice that when I set the "A/C Off", the Auto function is also off. What is the effect of this on the temperature control function for heating?
If you turn off your a/c you need to open a/c vent or set recirculate off so it wont moist inside your car and the temperature control will work also.Cold air will enter your car without turning on your a/c..
Old 12-02-2008, 07:34 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by cwepruk
It's somewhat odd, but it's still on auto when you press A/C off.
I've owned the car now for 2 years +, and I didn't realize this was the case until I read your post. I assumed the car would just blow air at the fan speed and temperature specified continually, but you're right.

At any rate, I've been running the car for the last several weeks with the auto climate control on, but the AC off, and my mileage has improved by almost a full 1L/100K.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:30 AM
3rd Gear

I am suddenly having the same problem. The compressor clicks on and off regularly, sometimes at a rate of 10 sec on/10 sec off, sometimes a few seconds per cycle. This occurs wheter auto is on or off, and whether the ac is on or off...the clicking is driving me nuts..you can hear it outside the car.....but no error codes!!!!! Please help