Cars That Smoked Your RDX

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 11:38 AM
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 234 Posts
Cars That Smoked Your RDX

Smart-fortwo Passion Coupe:

"It happened on the strip where the road is wide, two cool sharks standin' side by side..."

Well, actually it was in the Wal-Mart parking lot, but we were neck-n-neck when we both spotted THE ideal parking space. The growl from his 1.0 liter 3 banger rose to a wail and the challenge was on. I grabbed a fistful of Sport mode and grinned maliciously as we both paddle shifted down. I was getting pushed out of shape and it was hard to steer, but the VSA wasn't allowing rubber in any gear.

He swerved around a shopper while I shot the gap between the cart return and a furious rent-a-cop. "Undocumented guest workers" ran screaming as jumbo rolls of Bounty thumped off my windshield. My victorious glee turned to chagrin when I realized I was locked in 1st -- D@MN....I hadn't paddled up!! -- and he blew by me as I was bouncing on the fuel cut-off!

He dismissively bypassed my "ideal" parking space, entered through the sliding doors and parked in the lobby between the Coke machine and the Rocket-to-Mars. Bored housewives tried to put quarters into his car so their kids could ride.

I furtively slunk out the back, between the waste oil bin and the returned mowers, discouraged and defeated. There'll be no Hamburger Helper tonight.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:26 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Great story, it brought a smile to my face!
Old 02-04-2008, 04:28 PM
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 234 Posts
Homeless Guy Pushing All His Stuff in a Shopping Cart

OK, so a homeless guy's shopping cart isn't exactly a "car", but there we were -- our bumpers were even -- me at the light, him on the sidewalk. He reached into a grimy bag and pulled out an old shoe with half the sole flapping loose. He flapped it at me like a grotesque, flapping mouth. He shouted something about "frequencies" and "midget sex". He was mocking me! I HAD to waste him!

Enraged -- and thinking I was in my GTI -- I held the clutch in and tached to 4k. As the light turned green (and the walk sign changed from red-hand to white stick-man) I launched!

Acrid smoke billowed up around the car -- the boost and tach needles were buried -- but WTF??? Where was that familiar seatback shove? Through burning eyes and the wafting blue cloud I could see him out in front -- head low, cackling -- pushing hard. He had me by 3 shopping cart lengths, and was pulling away!

Too late -- I realized I was NOT in my GTI -- I was in the RDX and the "clutch" I'd been holding was the #U@#!N% PARKING BRAKE! All 260 foot/pounds were alternately chirping the front tires and straining against stuttering locked brakes. The car was jumpily inching foward amid the din of angry horns. Four kids in a slammed, winged Prelude whipped around me laughing derisively.

From across the intersection, the victorious homeless guy nailed my fender with half a blackened banana. Crushed, I had to sit through another red light, cheeks burning, feeling his insane glare boring into me.

I've got to smoke somebody -- and I will. That Good Humor punk thinks his ice cream truck is fast? We'll see about that...