Can rear seats be removed? Anyone do this?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 10:50 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can rear seats be removed? Anyone do this?

Ya, don't freak out. I don't need the rear seats & want to make the middle where the rear seats are the area for my rather large pooch.
I'll keep the back part of the rear where the hatch is for tools or luggage.

Anyone here ever remove the seats? Is all of that molding on the sides removable.

I know anything can be removed, just trying to find out if there's anything structural built into the seats.
I'm trying to put the UTILITY back in SUV LOL.
Old 11-13-2016, 10:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
Yeah they're removable, they were put there in the first place! usually there's a bolt or two holding the bottom down and then it snaps up
Old 11-14-2016, 02:58 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
seats fold down and tuck in to create a pretty large space, I'm not sure if you knew that just throwing it out there. But surely any seat can be removed as said above, locate the bolts get the right size bit for the ratchet and take them out, although i don't think it will look good, and you now will have to worry about the gap for the spare tire. so maybe just folding the seats down, lifting and tucking them where the passenger feet go might be a better option
Old 11-14-2016, 07:43 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I don't have pets; but, I like something like a rear seat pet platform (LINK): Frontpet Backseat Pet Bridge - Ideal for Trucks, SUVs, and Full Sized Sedans Dog Car Seat Extender Platform Cover Barrier Divider Restraint

Looks like it can protect the seats and pets, easy to clean, and be removed quickly to store in hatch for folks. The floor under the rear seats don't look very comfortable once you remove the bottom cushion. You could always flip both bottom cushion up and put some pet friendly padding there?

Name:  25475_zpsmlxeq3ku.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  68.8 KB
Old 11-14-2016, 07:37 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mr gold-
Those rear seat platforms are nice for smaller dogs like the one in the pic-maybe even a medium dog, maybe. Once you get into large dogs, any pooch over 75lbs, you must look at serious solutions.
If you wouldn't trust a teenager jumping up & down or a full sized human, you can't use it for a giant breed.

What I've got, I hesitate to say, is more along the lines of a giant breed, though she's my smallest, and I call her me "tea cup", she comes in well over 100lbs, even if the advertising says it works, I KNOW from experience to just build something myself. If she's riding with a friend, & she prefers BIG BOYS, I'm looking easily at 250-300 lbs of dog.
Add to that that she loves to swim & will often be in the car wet, I'm better off creating an area for her.

I did this in a RAV4, it was like a dream, the seats just pop out of the RAV4, it's the coolest feature. I popped in a custom covered futon mattress. I could clean everything very easily without seats in the way.
Plus I had a place to nap...
I'm not worried about if the floor is uneven, that can be easily accounted for with high density, high ILD upholstery foam, scribed to whatever I need it to be, creating a nice level surface.
I'd partition it off leaving the last couple of feet at the rear hatch for luggage/tools/provisions. I travel with her several times per week.

I was reading that the fuel pump is under the rear seats in the MDX, so if you need to replace that, you must 1st remove the rear seats to get to it. I can't seem to find the info for the RDX.

Am hoping someone who modded their RDX has removed the rear seats at some point in time. I would LOVE to see a pic ahead of time to get an idea of what's what.

A couple of bolts is no big deal really, just a bit of a PITA. It's not like I'd be putting the seats back in, the seats would get wrapped/sealed & stored in case I ever needed them or sold the car.