branding

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 10:52 AM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
branding

What does it mean to you? There are some people who would buy the the Infiniti or the X3 just due to branding, not necessarily giving credit to the Acura because, well it is a honda of course

This weekend i got in some heated talks with my buddies who buy benz's, because, #1 reason "Its a Benz". Im on the total other side of the fence. But seeming that most of us, i tend to think, since we own/lease an RDX had the money to drive pretty much any other truck in this class...still chose the RDX.

what does the branding mean to you? I know in 09 Acura is going to try really hard to go after the Germans, im not really sure i agree with the strategy, i always thought of Acura as the thinking man's option to overpriced German stuff...but im rambling........any thought? any "purists" out there wana shed some light on why i should have bought a benz because, "its a benz" ....lol ???

this thread may be worthless...but if u got an opinion lets hear it
Old 01-28-2008, 11:10 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
And Infiniti is a Nissan....Lexus a Toyota...

Anyone that buys a car because, "It's a ABCDEFG" is a uninformed moron.

Personally, I love the Styling of the German makes for the most part, and can afford them, but I just can't bring myself to getting one anytime soon due to reliability issues.

There is nothing I don't research to death when I'm buying something, be it Orange Juice, a lawn mower, Television, and even though the last 7 cars I've bought have been Acura\Honda, I am NOT brand loyal.

I was all set to buy a 350Z when they first came out...until I sat in one and saw how cheap they looked especially for the price they wanted. I have a Honda push mower, but a John Deere riding mower, a Ryobe weed wacker, because those brands were what past the test after my research.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:48 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brand is more than just a label. Honda created Acura so that customers can expect a level of luxury, refinement, quality, and customer service that is higher than regular Honda. Acura buyers are not paying for just the brand, but for these features (or at least the expectation of these features).

Of course, there are also people who pay for the status associated with these features. I don't know if that actually adds to the profit margins, or just allows Honda to put more expensive features into the cars.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:16 PM
Alpha Geek

Damn 5 minute rule....

Actually the main reason I switched from Honda to Acura back in the 80's had nothing to do with luxury, status, etc...

It's because they started making some Hondas in America.

All the Acuras I've bought since them have been built in Japan.(Integras, RSX, and RL)

In case it wasn't clear, I have an 06 RL, but my G/F has the RDX, which I drive frequently.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:54 PM
ACURA ENTHUSIAST

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think its a basis of the COMPANIES crudentials
and how people percieve themselves.
I've seen a lot of beemer drivers drive up with their head held high, pretending their tough sh8t.
I just kinda step the peddle on my RDX and cut them off, cause, well...they are driving like a-holes on 2 lanes and pretend just b/c they have the car they have, they have the ability to drive like A-holes.

Its a SOCIETY Perception.

I was close to an x3..but..the comparison back to the RDX...
just..
RDX just seemed to beat the x3 in the lil aspects that make the person more
"HOME" feel towards vehicle, and more comfotable.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:35 PM
big shot.

my view has and will always be, X amount of dollars buys you what? when you comapre the RDX directly with the X3, you are essentially comparing 2 of the same vehicles with a big price gap. Why? Brand. on top of which, less value for the dollar. You are buying into the brand, thats what the cost difference is. To me, ill keep the extra 8k and do something else with it like someone else with brains would. Sometimes this reasoning to people who buy into higher brands does not make sense or jive wih them. to them $$ = better, and altho their perception might be skewed, more money has never equalled a better product at least in my eyes, its just more money. to the purist, its directly opposite. everyone has their reasoning....
Old 01-28-2008, 05:08 PM
Advanced

Personally, I can't see how anyone can view Acura any different than Lexus and Infiniti. Simply, they are all luxury brands of Japanese carmakers. Comparing to German cars is a bit different, but the Japanese luxury cars are close to, if not equal, to Benz or BMW, in my opinion.

For some reason it seems Acura gets less repect than Lexus or Infiniti, but I don't care. I know what I bought and am more than happy with it. And anyone who is lucky enough to be my passenger is going to find out too.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:09 PM
Advanced

Personally, I can't see how anyone can view Acura any different than Lexus and Infiniti. Simply, they are all luxury brands of Japanese carmakers. Comparing to German cars is a bit different, but the Japanese luxury cars are close to, if not equal, to Benz or BMW, in my opinion.

For some reason it seems Acura gets less repect than Lexus or Infiniti, but I don't care what other people think. I know what I bought and am more than happy with it. And anyone who is lucky enough to be my passenger is going to find out too.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:54 AM
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 234 Posts
Generally what "It's a Benz" means to the average consumer is:

It is THE premium German nameplate that broadcasts my social status and income.

It states that I have a taste for the best in luxury and refinement.

It is important to me that others are aware of my taste and status

What "It's a Benz" means to an educated consumer is:

I spend money with little regard for value per dollar.

I did not carefully research my purchase options.

I have a high tolerance for abysmal reliability in unneccessarily complex systems

On the other hand I believe high-end German buyers have no intention of keeping the car past the warranty -- buy the latest new car every few years -- and are willing to take the financial loss in return for that pleasure.

Japanese buyers are much more pragmatic and thoughtful, expect high value per dollar and intend to keep a car in the family (or at least maintain high resale value) for many years.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by XLR8R
Generally what "It's a Benz" means to the average consumer is:

It is THE premium German nameplate that broadcasts my social status and income.

It states that I have a taste for the best in luxury and refinement.

It is important to me that others are aware of my taste and status

What "It's a Benz" means to an educated consumer is:

I spend money with little regard for value per dollar.

I did not carefully research my purchase options.

I have a high tolerance for abysmal reliability in unneccessarily complex systems

On the other hand I believe high-end German buyers have no intention of keeping the car past the warranty -- buy the latest new car every few years -- and are willing to take the financial loss in return for that pleasure.

Japanese buyers are much more pragmatic and thoughtful, expect high value per dollar and intend to keep a car in the family (or at least maintain high resale value) for many years.
Great analysis, XLR8R. I had a BMW once and dumped it before the warranty was up, and it was still a nightmare having it in the shop all the time. I'll never get another Bimmer, and don't feel compelled to give MB or Audi really close looks anymore either. Acura and Lexus have always exceeded my expectations, and amazingly enough do it for less money.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:58 AM
Cruisin'

Branding has a minimal impact on my purchasing decisions. I generally make my purchasing decisions on value, reliability, fun to drive factor, cost of ownership, etc. I currently own an 06 Infiniti M35 Sport and before I purchased the car I looked at the Acura RL(too small) I’m 6’5” , Lexus GS(too isolated feeling), BMW 5 series(scary reliability), Nissan Maxima(owned 4 previously want a change), Honda Accord (new model was not out yet) & Toyota Avalon(the Japanese Buick). The M35 fit more of my criteria than any of the others.
I have previously owned Honda, VW, Volvo, Nissan, Toyota and Ford vehicles. The RDX was purchased to replace my wife’s 2004 Camry XLE. The more I drive the RDX the more I like the vehicle. We looked at the Infiniti EX35 (too small) & FX 35(new model coming end of 08), Honda Pilot, GMC Acadia & Both BMW X’s. We decided on the RDX because it fit our requirements the best, not because of what brand it is. Money was not a factor in the decision.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:19 AM
Alpha Geek

Originally Posted by edadams3
Branding has a minimal impact on my purchasing decisions. I generally make my purchasing decisions on value, reliability, fun to drive factor, cost of ownership, etc. I currently own an 06 Infiniti M35 Sport and before I purchased the car I looked at the Acura RL(too small) I’m 6’5”

Just curious...how was the RL "too small"? Not enough cargo area?

I'm curious, as I own an RL and I'm 6'8" 250, and I find it to be very spacious, except for the trunk.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:29 AM
Cruisin'

The RL Had a narrower drivers cockpit area and made my right leg push inward. Also the rear seating and trunk were on the small side as compared to the M. I did enjoy the ride and handling better than some of the other choices.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:35 PM
Burning Brakes

I wonder how many of those Infiniti owners know their car is 44.3% French?

Things are improving over there politcally, but for now I will not knowingly make a large purchase from a largely French or German company.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:03 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by brizey
I wonder how many of those Infiniti owners know their car is 44.3% French?
LOL. I never realized that my FX35 had French content.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:09 AM
Diggin' the RDX!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I choose my brands based on what they give me. Reliability, technology, versatility.

This is why I've chosen Japanese cars (though I think the Germans are beautiful but overpriced and unreliable) like Acura, Honda, Mitsu the past 15 years. And Apple computers.

To put it simply: they just work.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:27 AM
big shot.

After just switching over to a mac myself, i am now a believer of the "it just works" statement. seamless inside and out, works with all of my sound studio equipment flawlessly.

anyways hahahah

the germans def have style pinned down, i tend to stray from their interiors however, they are always very flat to me (some or most may take that as elegance etc). I absolutely prefer the blue/white/red of the acura dials as comapred to lets say the flat white/gray black benz. yawn.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:55 AM
Instructor

Third on the Mac. I switched about 15 months ago and never looked back. It just works, its easy to use and it is way more compatible with the PC world than most people think.

If there was a car like a Mac....what would it be or what would it be like?